Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi men and the ol' "I have no change"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Hippies! wrote: »
    It's the height of ignorance to board a taxi with a €50 note imo.

If a taxi driver doesn't have change of a €50 then he shouldn't be taking fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Off topic but my gf was on a work night out last winter, she left the nightclub to come home cause some clown was hassling her. We live a 15min walk from the club but she was nervous walking through town alone at 2am, in heels and freezing cold. She went to the taxi rank and the first two drivers refused the fare on the basis it was too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Off topic but my gf was on a work night out last winter, she left the nightclub to come home cause some clown was hassling her. We live a 15min walk from the club but she was nervous walking through town alone at 2am, in heels and freezing cold. She went to the taxi rank and the first two drivers refused the fare on the basis it was too small.

Dickheads

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

ahnow wrote: »
    What do you do when you're in a mad rush, go to pay the man and he claims he has no change for your 50/20 euro note? This has happened to me a holy heap of times!

The intelligent taxi drivers will leave you off the fare or part of the fare and throw out a business card. Happened a housmate last year and she insisted that we use that taxi for the rest of the year.
    4 full taxi spins a night @ e2 a head x 20 weeks = e640
    Not bad coin for being a nice lad, none of the Iish lads would have done that for us.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

xzanti wrote: »
    Do you know what the word ignorance means?

I haven't a bleeding notion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Anyone use the Halo App? I use it a bit and I've noticed a lot of taxi drivers don't add the tip when you get your receipts from halo. Must be to avoid the extra commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

What do you do when you're in a mad rush, go to pay the man and he claims he has no change for your 50/20 euro note? This has happened to me a holy heap of times!

This has genuinely never happened to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

UDP wrote: »
    Legally there is nothing to say they have to give you change.
    mitosis wrote: »
    Never encountered such a problem. Taxi is under no legal obligation to provide change in any case - same as a shop.

Although it is rare to find this attitude in London, I did once. Took a short fare from Baker St. to Paddington for about £8, and when he arrives there he doesnt have change of a £20 - you never see £50 in the UK. So I say I dont have the exact fare. He hesitates - if I am in a rush for the train he would expect to get the £20 I suppose - I say, nope, get some change. He whines he has to go into a shop. I say he should. So in he pops, and I get my change. Angry guy.

Thing is, of course, he would expect the shop to have change. He gave them his £20, for a bag of crisps or something. Thats because shop keepers run businesses properly and have change all the time, the only businesses where you are given a hard time on legal currency are taxis.

As for those of you who say that you dont have to provide change in a shop- I can honestly say that that has never happened to me, nor in a bar, nor anywhere outside a taxi and I have been on the earth for more than 30 years. If the float is getting low then go to the bank which is easier if you are driving around than stuck in a shop. I worked in a pub through college and we emptied coins into the tills every morning, and got more if a lot of people had no change.

However you must be wrong on whether tender can be refused. You can probably legally say you have no change prior to selling something - which, as I said I have never seen - but if you charge people post-service, like a restaurant etc, you can't charge €50 for something which cost far less because thats all the customer has. Then you legally do have to provide the change. Taxis charge after the service is provided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

This post is the height of stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Because you never find a bank machine that only has 50's.

Edit to add. Those machines are a pet hate of mine. Especially the boi ones that don't tell you till the end of the transaction. That's after making a loud whirring noise for two minutes. Then they just chuck your card back and say transaction cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Isnt it illegal for them to refuse a fare like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Honestly in that case she should take plate numbers and report them to the regulator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Hailo is wonderful, especially when you can set it up to take the fare directly from your account.

Everyone should start using it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Depends on how much your fare is! If it was €25+ I don't think it is but for something under a tenner, possibly so.

miamee wrote: »
    Depends on how much your fare is! If it was €25+ I don't think it is but for something under a tenner, possibly so.

what about if the taxi driver takes that €50 and goes into a cafe to spend less than a tenner, is that rude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

what about if the taxi driver takes that €50 and goes into a cafe to spend less than a tenner, is that rude?

You think taxi drivers have the same size float as a cafe?

You think taxi drivers have the same size float as a cafe?

I think they are running a business and should have the same float as a cafe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Pretty absurd when you consider that it costs €4.10 to open the door of a taxi before you even go anywhere. Thank you, Taxi Regulator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

I think they are running a business and should have the same float as a cafe.

Taxis and cafes are quite different types of businesses actually. It would be very stupid for a taxi driver to keep a huge amount of cash in his cab which could easily be robbed at the next fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Taxis and cafes are quite different types of businesses actually. It would be very stupid for a taxi driver to keep a huge amount of cash in his cab which could easily be robbed at the next fare.

€50 isn't all that much. Most fast food delivery people carry around over €100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 curlygirly

RainMaker wrote: »
    Did you tell him you were on the dole? :P

harhar, i ve been on the dole for two days. this was 6 mnths ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

DylanII wrote: »
    €50 isn't all that much. Most fast food delivery people carry around over €100

I've only ever had this kind of rpoblem from a delivery driver who gave me loads of abuse even though i explained i just went to machine to ahve money to pay him for the food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

Jaysus lads, calm down :pac:
    I Am Kong! wrote: »
    This post is the height of stupidity.

So's your username :p
    juan.kerr wrote: »
    If a taxi driver doesn't have change of a €50 then he shouldn't be taking fares.

He does probably but if he had 10 morons hopping in one after the other with 50's like. Bus Eireann don't even take that crap, why should a wee taxi man? Give him a break like.
    nummnutts wrote: »
    What if I have a €20 and a €50? Should I take the bus instead?

My a**e am I leaving my €50 outside the taxi.

:confused:
    Where To wrote: »
    No it isn't.

It is imo
    tin79 wrote: »
    Your experience of ignorance must be very limited.

I'm not from Dublin :pac:
    xzanti wrote: »
    Do you know what the word ignorance means?

Yes, yes I do.
    if your fare is routinely in excess of €40, depending on what part of the city you start from i think it'd be a tad stupid and ignorant to NOT start off with at least €50

Oh right, so it is Dublin we're talking about specifically then? and by the way your post makes no sense :) If the fare was 45euro and you had a 50 then you get 5 change, that's ok obviously, I thought people could grasp that but if your fare is a tenner and you're there with a big durty wad of 50's :confused:
    Grayson wrote: »
    Because you never find a bank machine that only has 50's.

Edit to add. Those machines are a pet hate of mine. Especially the boi ones that don't tell you till the end of the transaction. That's after making a loud whirring noise for two minutes. Then they just chuck your card back and say transaction cancelled.

I agree, totally.
    miamee wrote: »

I agree totally, you're not from Dublin either then?

Anyway this was fun guys, we should do it again sometime.

Give the taxi men a break! :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Reminds me of that hooker that had a slow night and decided to catch a taxi home. When she got there she told the him that she had no money, then she lifted her skirt and said, "Take it outta that!"
    The taxi driver turned round and said her, "Haven't you got anything smaller?"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Whenever they say that don't have change I make them round down.

Then they find the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭my my my

if you want a taxi with correct change be sure and ask the tiomaini if he can do it before the ride, otherwise shu up and be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

It is imo
    Your opinion is wrong. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

reason number 9 million why taxi drivers are toss bags , particularly the scum who refused to bring a woman home safely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Hailo FTW.

Enter your credit card details once. No cash involved, no stopping at an ATM on the way. Set up an auto tip, rate drivers and passengers. In time will mean the end of those radio companies who are cnuts to deal with.

One of the few killer apps IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

He does probably but if he had 10 morons hopping in one after the other with 50's like. Bus Eireann don't even take that crap, why should a wee taxi man? Give him a break like.

When did Bus Eireann start charging people as they got off the bus? I must have missed that.

Advertisement