Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi men and the ol' "I have no change"

Options
  • 23-11-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

What do you do when you're in a mad rush, go to pay the man and he claims he has no change for your 50/20 euro note? This has happened to me a holy heap of times!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Hasn't happened to me, but if it did I would refuse to pay him until he gets some change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Point to mmy penis and tell him to pay me .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yeah that or the whole looking for his change for 5 minutes hoping you'll get out. Feck off. I want my change!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

And they think they are doing you a big favour when they dont charge you for the spin from outside your gaff to the local spar and back so you can get the change....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Legally there is nothing to say they have to give you change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 curlygirly

only happened to me once when i wanted to pay with a 50 - and he said " no worries, get me next time" and gave me the 8quid ride or free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

curlygirly wrote: »
    only happened to me once when i wanted to pay with a 50 - and he said " no worries, get me next time" and gave me the 8quid ride or free.

Did you tell him you were on the dole? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Just open their ash tray they have loads of change in there usually least they forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

UDP wrote: »
    Legally there is nothing to say they have to give you change.

I don't think they have any signs saying "exact change only"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

before you get in to the taxi, ask them do they have the change of a 50/20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Tear off a quarter of it and give him the rest, that'll soften his cough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yep, it's the laziest thing in the world not to be prepared for making change before you start.

If I was a customer I wouldn't pay him, if I was the driver I wouldn't charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I would have him shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

The odd once or twice that I've given them a €50 note I've had the whole "Is that all you have? Have you not got any smaller?". Which I can understand is probably a pain in the hole, but tough shít, that's all I have at the time.

However, when they start doing the 'delivery man' of having to look in every pocket, in their shoes, under the seats to give me my change, that annoys the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nummnutts wrote: »
    However, when they start doing the 'delivery man' of having to look in every pocket, in their shoes, under the seats to give me my change, that annoys the hell out of me.
    Clearly the most efficient way of keeping change in your vehicle is to have it all mixed up and spread into little batches around the car in the centre console, the ashtray, your pockets, and so on. Means you can easily reach some change no matter where you are.

I refuse to believe that you can't buy a little device for about €30, much like the old bus conductor's yoke, that will hold and dispense coins.

Edit: Oh look, there is!

seamus wrote: »
    Clearly the most efficient way of keeping change in your vehicle is to have it all mixed up and spread into little batches around the car in the centre console, the ashtray, your pockets, and so on. Means you can easily reach some change no matter where you are.[/url]

And there was me thinking that taxi men would always be sitting in the driver's seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

When my Dad's caught with no change he rounds the fare down. It's not the passenger's fault that he hasn't got change like. The driver should always accommodate the customer.

Also it's not that easy to always have change in fairness. It's like in a shop, you get two tossers buying a newspaper with a 50 euro note and your float is wiped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

It's the height of ignorance to board a taxi with a €50 note imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Are dublin taxis not all credit / laser card ready?

Or is that just certain companies?

Hippies! wrote: »
    No it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Your experience of ignorance must be very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Never encountered such a problem. Taxi is under no legal obligation to provide change in any case - same as a shop.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Do you know what the word ignorance means?

mitosis wrote: »
    Never encountered such a problem. Taxi is under no legal obligation to provide change in any case - same as a shop.
    Would you spend your hard earned in a shop that wouldn't give you change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

SeaFields wrote: »
    Yeah that or the whole looking for his change for 5 minutes hoping you'll get out. Feck off. I want my change!

Taxi man
    8.75 please

I hand him 10 euro

Taxi Man
    Proceeds to rummage for change which he has in hand but all of a sudden he cant process figures and coins and begins to count coins and murmer somthing under breath like he has to do a big sum and your putting him under shocking stress all for a euro. All the while PREYING you just say ah its ok mate keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Where To wrote: »
    Would you spend your hard earned in a shop that wouldn't give you change?

Of course not. Why would you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Thinly veiled "I carry around notes greater than €20 with me" thread.

Rub it in why don't ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

SeaFields wrote: »
    Once they start that shyte, i sit back in my seat and relax, they wont get a cent tip out of me with that carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

if your fare is routinely in excess of €40, depending on what part of the city you start from i think it'd be a tad stupid and ignorant to NOT start off with at least €50

• Advertisement

What if I have a €20 and a €50? Should I take the bus instead?

My a**e am I leaving my €50 outside the taxi.

Advertisement