Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight-fisted parents.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Too right OP. Personally, I've taught my kids to shoplift if they feel their parents are not being generous enough. It does two things, 1.saves me dough. 2.teaches them rescourcefulness. Win win really.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CuriousG

I definitely agree parents should not buy everything for their kids, but I also think it might have been a little more lesson worthy if they kept the xmas shopping till another day alone (if that was the case.)

Kind of pointless teaching one lesson and then doing another.

PaulB1984 wrote: »

Did i not mention the exact words of the girl's father? " Start off your DVD collection " ?

Yeah your collection as in the DVDs you buy with your own money. For all you know she has three siblings at home and the DVD collection is between them all. I know that my VHS collection started when I bought my first VHS (started a bit begore whrn I got tapes for my birthdays but you know what I mean) with my own money. Now before that I had loads of tapes to watch but they were mine and my brothers and as such they weren't mine but rather all of ours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

The first she bought with her own money I'd imagine. You half hear a conversation and jump to numerous conclusions. It's also none of your business how they raise their child and from what I understand of your posts they were raiding their kid to be responsible and not spoiling her rotten. You bring up A Christmas Carol and then talk about bring cast aside and only respecting money and business. Surely that means that the parents are teaching their child the exact opposite by not spoiling her and teaching her that you can't always get everything you want.

Also, You do realise that A Christmas Carol is fiction?

Wow. I feel like Joey from Friends. I'm actually sporting the "Smell the fart acting" expression on my face right now. Do i know that A Christmas Carol is fiction?... Nope, i did not know that. Can someone point me in the direction of a real miser who was visited by 4 ghosts for being a tight-fisted... Well... Scrooge, not to put too fine a point on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

Am i known around here? Past life maybe? Or are all new members treated like this?, lol.

• Advertisement

Wow. I feel like Joey from Friends. I'm actually sporting the "Smell the fart acting" expression on my face right now. Do i know that A Christmas Carol is fiction?... Nope, i did not know that. Can someone point me in the direction of a real miser who was visited by 4 ghosts for being a tight-fisted... Well... Scrooge, not to put too fine a point on it?

I was just curious as if you'd read the novel then you would realise just how stupid your use of it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

I hate when i'm in a store and there's either a couple or one parent with their child, the greed on display is incredible. This one day i was in HMV, these two people were in buying a whole load of television box sets for themselves, the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2. This little girl with them stands there looking through kids' DVDs and finds 2 that she likes, both €5 each and she goes to the man "Daddy, i can't pick, i have €5, which one daddy?" and he actually stands there and says to her "Well, how about this one (Donald Duck)? This looks like a great one to start off your DVD collection, you have €5 in your pocket, i think you'd like this!". That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they couldn't spring to another €5 for a second DVD for their child? And not only that, but her first DVD??? Disgusting. And that's just one example i've seen. I can understand if her parents are poor, but these obviously weren't. Why are people like that? They've a stack of cash in their pocket, treat themselves senseless, and do practically nothing for their kids who are standing right there with them? Don't parents know that one day these kids will be the ones with the money and the decision-making? Teaching kids to be mean is not good for them and it will only backfire.

Never bring kids shopping. They only ask for stuff. Did she not throw a tantrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

OP, do you really believe the child worked for that €5? The answer is a resounding no. Get these freeloading scum who haven't worked a day in their lives into some hard labour. Then these parasites can biy all the dvds they want. If you think I'm being too harsh then you're just another sickly liberal fascist.

Using the "I'm only a child" gets old after the first three months... it's damn right laughable.
    I was on the bus last week, trying to read a book, and throughout the journey, this wretched child kept whining and crying and being an attention seeking asshole. It was the mother I felt sorry for. I walked over, lowered my head into the repugnant mosters buggy, and roared at them to stop being so damn selfish and to grow up. Well didn't that shut them up. Well the whole bus did, but I solved the problem in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Seriously I think you are being over dramatic, there is as little over 10 years between myself and my neice, we had completely different childhoods, I was lucky to get a present for my birthday, we often had parties but that was our present, and it was jellies, taytos, fizzy orange and pass the parcel, we got a fair amount at Christmas, anything else we wanted throughout the year either we bought ourselves and that was about it. We didn't even have a VHS collection between us, we taped the big, big movie on a saturday and that was our VHS collection.

My niece has had a DVD collection since she was under 1, if she wants something she gets it, she doesn't know the meaning of thanks because she feels entitled to everything, on her birthday she will get a party and a nintendo ds or something else big. And her parents are not by any means wealthy.

I applaud parents who don't give into their child's every whim, it's hard these days because kids come home with stories of this one getting this and that and the parents feel under pressure. There really is no need of it. See what they are like when they are older.

I pay for myself, I have bought my own car, taxed and insured it, I haven't asked my parents for money since I was about 14, friend of mine had every whim of hers catered for, and guess what she now expects it, thinks nothing of running to mammy for money and refuses to pay a penny towards the household bills. Parents should feel under no pressure to buy their child anything and its people like you who make their jobs much harder.

Not only are they buying so much, and so little for their child, it was her first DVD. Her first , that's just disgusting. She must've been about 7 years old, and since she's been born has never been bought a DVD. That's totally mean.
    Ah, I must have missed the day in school when they taught us the newest basic human right - "Every human has the right to a bountiful DVD collection before the age of 7".

She had never bought herself a DVD before, i.e. started her own DVD collection, but it's highly likely that her parents have gotten DVDs for her before. Even if they hadn't, I think the word "disgusting" should probably be reserved for incidents that actually matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Ugh, OP, you make me violent. You're the parent/future parent who will raise an absolute ****e of child. Not only was is a way of teaching a child about how manage money/not get everything they want blah blah, but the child was lucky enough to get anything at all. I never got anything like that as a child, i didnt contribute anything to the family, and in the long run, didnt need anything like that either. I got gifts on Christmas and my birthday and if i wanted one in between well tough luck. I still know people who get an extortionate amount of money for their birthday and theyre in their mid twenties and theyre well renowned as pathetic people amongst us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Weird OP is weird.
    The title and then the comment about greed on display (which as said was highly likely to be presents for other people) was confuzzling.
    I'm pretty sure young kids don't know about monetary value either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I hate when i'm in a store and there's either a couple or one parent with their child, the greed on display is incredible. This one day i was in HMV, these two people were in buying a whole load of television box sets for themselves, the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2. This little girl with them stands there looking through kids' DVDs and finds 2 that she likes, both €5 each and she goes to the man "Daddy, i can't pick, i have €5, which one daddy?" and he actually stands there and says to her "Well, how about this one (Donald Duck)? This looks like a great one to start off your DVD collection, you have €5 in your pocket, i think you'd like this!". That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they couldn't spring to another €5 for a second DVD for their child? And not only that, but her first DVD??? Disgusting. And that's just one example i've seen. I can understand if her parents are poor, but these obviously weren't. Why are people like that? They've a stack of cash in their pocket, treat themselves senseless, and do practically nothing for their kids who are standing right there with them? Don't parents know that one day these kids will be the ones with the money and the decision-making? Teaching kids to be mean is not good for them and it will only backfire.
    and then they said Santa was sick and I felt bad for asking for stuff and then Christmas came and I got a selection box, which was great, and I didn't say anything, and then next year, Santa was sick, so I made him a nice card and he wasn't able to get me the train set, but he brought Dad some whiskey so it was ok, and then the next year.

(ten years later) the truth (doesn't quite) dawn.

So, yeah, like I was chilling out n stuff in this like, total 'shopper paradise' ****hole and like this, ye know, rich ****ing couple, ye know, they start flashing the cash all over - ye know? and like, spending and **** - I mean it was , disgusting - ye know? Anyway, they have this kid, right, and like.....

yeah. Life is tough. aint it?

Madam_X wrote: »
    Weird OP is weird.
    The title and then the comment about greed on display (which as said was highly likely to be presents for other people) was confuzzling.
    I'm pretty sure young kids don't know about monetary value either.
    yup. unless you know the human heart n mind like i does. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

I hate parents that don't treat their kids.
    If I have kids I will treat them right. Make their childhood fun and happy!!!!!! There is a difference between spoling a child and treating them right.

God bless my mother. She is sadly no longer with us :(
    Just a working class family growing up in the 80s but me and my brothers got the best of toys and games consoles .... atari 2600, commadore 64, nes, snes, mega drive + a ton of games to boot.... A-team toys, M.A.S.K. toys, ghostbuster toys, He-Man toys (I could go on)

Really wish I could just say "thanks for being a great mother" :(
    That's such a lovely thing to say and I'm sure she knew how you felt :) My mother was the exact same. We may have got some stuff second hand but for christmas no matter how much money my parents had they always endeavoured to get us what we really wanted and we didn't become spoiled because of it. A few dvds won't pick that child up if she falls, clothe her or feed her so good on the parents for trying not to focus on the materialistic things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

KKkitty wrote: »
    That's such a lovely thing to say and I'm sure she knew how you felt :) My mother was the exact same. We may have got some stuff second hand but for christmas no matter how much money my parents had they always endeavoured to get us what we really wanted and we didn't become spoiled because of it. A few dvds won't pick that child up if she falls, clothe her or feed her so good on the parents for trying not to focus on the materialistic things in life.

Guess both our mothers were just really good people :)

You two G'damn mother lovin' -

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

That makes it sound even worse, they're Christmas shopping, they've brought their kid and won't even say to the other "Snap up that Mickey Mouse DVD for her when she's not looking.". Hahahaha, yeah, Casualty's a good show. The man bought The Sopranos and some other stuff.

The moral of this story is....You should learn to mind your own business and not be Pinocchioing yourself into other peoples business. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My mother is no longer with us either :( I know what you're going through as I never got to tell her how I felt. Being a parent myself I would let my children pick out an item in a shop and buy it for them but they know that doesn't happen all the time. It's about boundaries and how does the OP know that they haven't spent more than enough on the child for christmas anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Christmas we were spoiled rotten but throughout the rest of the year we made do with whatever we had.

I think for one of my birthdays I got a 10 pack of blank VHS tapes. That was it but those 10 tapes gave me entertainment for about 4 years until they got to the stage when the recordings were warped from overuse!

I never was spoiled and I feel I'm better for it now. I learned to enjoy what I had and not worry about wanting what everyone else had.

Best Christmas I had was when I was about 7 or 8 and I got a second hand C64 for Christmas. It came with about 20-30 games! Some of my friends laughed at me because they got a NES and one game. I don;t even think I ever even played all those games.

OP, from the sound of it you are the one who needs to grow up. You say that little girl was smart enough to understand she only had money for one of those DVD's and she acted in a calm manner when trying to decide which one she wanted? To me that sounds like an impressive child. What would you have done? Screamed as loud as you can, pulling DVD's off the shelves until you got what you wanted?

Buying those boxsets may have been a way of showing her that Christmas is a time for giving? As a child I loved helping wrap other peoples presents because I taught it was great to see them happy. Of course all I could think was I would be getting presents too but it was something I looked forward to.

No child should have everything they want. Not even if they had parents who have all the money in the world. Kids need to learn the value of things. That first DVD she bought, she may still have that in 10 years time and cherish it as something special, other kids who got both of those DVD's on the spot..... well, you would probably find half of one disk lodged in the DVD player and the second one scraped to sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

You know I've volunteered with a Christmas donation drive before (outside of Ireland). We'd ask women who were struggling to buy Christmas gifts for her kids to call in, give us the gender/ages of her children. We'd then get sponsors and allow them to sponsor a woman and her children, pass on all the ages, etc.

One year, we had a woman call in and we were asking her questions about what her kids would like so we could pass suggestions onto her sponsor.

Dvds were out because the kids had no tv or dvd player. No video games because they obviously didn't have any game consoles. No cds because they didn't have a stereo.

Finally, the mother did speak up, and said, there was something her daughters really wanted, but she knew it was pretty expensive.

It was a hanging mirror for the back of their bedroom door. About 12 euros.

Broke our hearts.

Amazing the level of poverty some kids live in.

Not about tight-fisted parents. Just an eye-opener.

You obviously have a good heart OP. I wouldn't begrudge my daughter a second DVD either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

"Spare the rod and spoil the child"

Damn right they let the child pick one dvd to start their collection, wasn't it better than none?
    Presumably they worked for the money to buy those other box sets, regardless if they were xmas presents or not.

My OH's younger brother is 12+ years younger than his next sibling and he's a spoilt little brat. Latest games console, bike etc and not a thanks would you hear out of him.

Kids need discipline and to be taught that presents must be earned not given. Nobody owes you a living and the earlier that lessons learned, the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My father used to give me £2.00 pocket money every week which I would buy a seven inch single with. It would it have two songs which I would play non stop for hours. I think I enjoyed this more than I would have enjoyed getting whatever the hell I wanted. Children that get too much just get bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im surprised no one thought the title said fisted tight parents

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

OP, how do you know a lot of that stuff they were buying wasn't for the children themselves??
    That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they

You sound a bit childish yourself, should just mind your own business OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Blocked.

Flattered. Deeply flattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

That dad sounds like a great father to me- the little one was given the freedom to have her own money and pick her own DVD herself; for me that would have been a treat enough (being treated like a grown up!).
    He's a much better example of parenting than the morons who let their little darlings have a full on melt down in every shop when they can't get everything they want. I worked in retail and saw this on a daily basis. Or kids whose parents let them trash the place and smile benignly throughout...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

OP, for all you know they could have just spent an absolute fortune on the kid in another shop and dropped the bags back to the car..

You shouldn't make such snap judgments on other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

simple, adults gets more pocket money than kids
    kids have to be taught to live within their means.
    the kid got a fiver pocket money - she gets a DVD for a fiver.

nobody wants spoilt brats for kids who demand everything.

fair play to the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

DVD's are so 2006

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement