Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight-fisted parents.

Options
  • 22-11-2012 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭

I hate when i'm in a store and there's either a couple or one parent with their child, the greed on display is incredible. This one day i was in HMV, these two people were in buying a whole load of television box sets for themselves, the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2. This little girl with them stands there looking through kids' DVDs and finds 2 that she likes, both €5 each and she goes to the man "Daddy, i can't pick, i have €5, which one daddy?" and he actually stands there and says to her "Well, how about this one (Donald Duck)? This looks like a great one to start off your DVD collection, you have €5 in your pocket, i think you'd like this!". That's when i stormed off. I couldn't believe it. At least €300 worth of DVDs in both their arms and they couldn't spring to another €5 for a second DVD for their child? And not only that, but her first DVD??? Disgusting. And that's just one example i've seen. I can understand if her parents are poor, but these obviously weren't. Why are people like that? They've a stack of cash in their pocket, treat themselves senseless, and do practically nothing for their kids who are standing right there with them? Don't parents know that one day these kids will be the ones with the money and the decision-making? Teaching kids to be mean is not good for them and it will only backfire.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I spotted a parent one day with a full keyboard, qwerty and the works.
    Tight sod wouldn't even give his sprog the return key.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Because they want to teach their kids they can't have everything and to spend your money carefully.
    Or they're just greedy feckers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Janey mack that's awful.

You know what - they should just buy the child whatever she wants, and make sure that she expects that sort of treatment throughout life.

That is, as soon as they drop the Christmas presents they were buying off somewhere handy.

Thank Christ for the childers' referendum.

Never Again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭PaulB1984

I spotted a parent one day with a full keyboard, qwerty and the works.
    Tight sod wouldn't even give his sprog the return key.

Eh?, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

How do you know they were for themselves? Maybe they were doing their Christmas shopping. I hope they bought me the entire series of Casualty. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Maybe the parents don't believe in constantly buying stuff for their kids is a good way of bringing them up. They might be very generous at Christmas & birthdays but only allow the child a limited amount of treats during the year. I reckon that's far better than parents who cave in to their offspring's every whim, thus turning them into greedy, obnoxious little sods.

I completely disagree.

Firstly, it's likely that the box sets were presents.

Secondly, even if they weren't I don't see why children should be spoiled.

Thirdly, you might think it's teaching children to be mean, but I think it's teaching them money management and giving them a bit of freedom to have their own money and make their own choices with it. I'm 22 and I still have friends my own age that assume that any time they're short of cash they can always run to mammy and daddy.

Finally, I actually think it's worthwhile to say no to kids sometimes, just for the sake of teaching them that they can't always get what they want.

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Janey mack that's awful.

You know what - they should just buy the child whatever she wants, and make sure that she expects that sort of treatment throughout life.

That is, as soon as they drop the Christmas presents they were buying off somewhere handy.

Thank Christ for the childers' referendum.

Never Again.

Well, if i'd a child, i wouldn't have them with me in HMV while i lash out hundreds on whoever will get those sets while my little girl struggles to choose between two cheapo Disney DVDs for a fiver each. But maybe that's just me. I've seen parents bring their children into stores to buy something for themselves and slap their kid across the face because he asked for a €1 Power Ranger-type cheap toy.

Because they want to teach their kids they can't have everything and to spend your money carefully.
    Or they're just greedy feckers.

The second one for sure.

Really think that you need to mature a little bit before posting stupid observations and stories. You make a lot of assumptions and criticise the patents for teaching their child s valuables life lesson.

How do you know the box sets were for them, perhaps they were buying gifts. And please tell me what is wrong with parents teaching their child that you can't get everything you want. There's far too many parents who are spoiling their kids rotten and turning them into spoilt little monsters who think they can have whatever they want whenever they want.

• Advertisement

How do you know they were for themselves? Maybe they were doing their Christmas shopping. I hope they bought me the entire series of Casualty. :D

That makes it sound even worse, they're Christmas shopping, they've brought their kid and won't even say to the other "Snap up that Mickey Mouse DVD for her when she's not looking.". Hahahaha, yeah, Casualty's a good show. The man bought The Sopranos and some other stuff.

PaulB1984 wrote: »
    Well, if i'd a child, i wouldn't have them with me in HMV while i lash out hundreds on whoever will get those sets while my little girl struggles to choose between two cheapo Disney DVDs for a fiver each. But maybe that's just me. I've seen parents bring their children into stores to buy something for themselves and slap their kid across the face because he asked for a €1 Power Ranger-type cheap toy.

Were the parents buying X-Boxes or perhaps really good scalextrix sets in these 'stores' as you call them ?

Anyway, you might end up having a child someday, sure who knows. If that happens, be sure and not do what you were posting about above, and also don't make stuff up on the internet in front of them.

That makes it sound even worse, they're Christmas shopping, they've brought their kid and won't even say to the other "Snap up that Mickey Mouse DVD for her when she's not looking.". Hahahaha, yeah, Casualty's a good show. The man bought The Sopranos and some other stuff.

You are clearly under a bridge listening for billy goats.

That makes it sound even worse, they're Christmas shopping, they've brought their kid and won't even say to the other "Snap up that Mickey Mouse DVD for her when she's not looking.".

How do you know they didn't? Perhaps after you stormed off like a child they grabbed the DVD for her or what if they had already got it and that's why the father suggested she get the other one.

Custardpi wrote: »
    Maybe the parents don't believe in constantly buying stuff for their kids is a good way of bringing them up. They might be very generous at Christmas & birthdays but only allow the child a limited amount of treats during the year. I reckon that's far better than parents who cave in to their offspring's every whim, thus turning them into greedy, obnoxious little sods.

Oh, i totally agree with that, i don't think kids should be spoiled. But seeing people drag a kid around while they buy half a store and yet buy a girl her first DVD, that just angers me. A really good friend of mine has 2 little boys, one is about 2 or 3 years old and he's got more DVDs than i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I hate parents that don't treat their kids.
    If I have kids I will treat them right. Make their childhood fun and happy!!!!!! There is a difference between spoling a child and treating them right.

God bless my mother. She is sadly no longer with us :(
    Just a working class family growing up in the 80s but me and my brothers got the best of toys and games consoles .... atari 2600, commadore 64, nes, snes, mega drive + a ton of games to boot.... A-team toys, M.A.S.K. toys, ghostbuster toys, He-Man toys (I could go on)

Really wish I could just say "thanks for being a great mother" :(

I completely disagree.

Firstly, it's likely that the box sets were presents.

Secondly, even if they weren't I don't see why children should be spoiled.

Thirdly, you might think it's teaching children to be mean, but I think it's teaching them money management and giving them a bit of freedom to have their own money and make their own choices with it. I'm 22 and I still have friends my own age that assume that any time they're short of cash they can always run to mammy and daddy.

Finally, I actually think it's worthwhile to say no to kids sometimes, just for the sake of teaching them that they can't always get what they want.

Ahhhh, this is different. Not only are they buying so much, and so little for their child, it was her first DVD. Her first , that's just disgusting. She must've been about 7 years old, and since she's been born has never been bought a DVD. That's totally mean.

Oh, i totally agree with that, i don't think kids should be spoiled. But seeing people drag a kid around while they buy half a store and yet buy a girl her first DVD, that just angers me. A really good friend of mine has 2 little boys, one is about 2 or 3 years old and he's got more DVDs than i do.

I don't think 5 box sets is all that much and I seriously doubt that it was her first DVD, Most 6 year old has a stack of DVDs.

You make so many assumptions in your original post and then continue to make even more. You have no idea what the situation was, you over heard a few sentences and much like a Liveline caller jumped to ridiculous conclusions and get offended over something that was none of your business.

me and my brothers got the best of toys and games consoles .... atari 2600, commadore 64, nes, snes, mega drive + a ton of games to boot.... A-team toys, M.A.S.K. toys, ghostbuster toys, He-Man toys (I could go on)

Bit frustrating to peak so early ?

Ahhhh, this is different. Not only are they buying so much, and so little for their child, it was her first DVD. Her first , that's just disgusting. She must've been about 7 years old, and since she's been born has never been bought a DVD. That's totally mean.

Another ridiculous conclusion you jump to. I seriously doubt it was the first DVD she got. Perhaps it was the first DVD she bought for herself.

• Advertisement

I don't think 5 box sets is all that much and I seriously doubt that it was her first DVD, Most 6 year old has a stack of DVDs.

You make so many assumptions in your original post and then continue to make even more. You have no idea what the situation was, you over heard a few sentences and much like a Liveline caller jumped to ridiculous conclusions and get offended over something that was none of your business.

I clearly state in my original post that it was mentioned as being her 'first' DVD. I think it's disgusting and when i told my own parents, they also said it was horrible. And it is my business should i ever end up going to these kids when they grow up, become bank loan officers and decide to take their meager childhoods out on me. Haven't you ever heard of A Christmas Carol? Scrooge cast aside as a child, abandoned and thought only to respect money and business? See what happened to him?

Bit frustrating to peak so early ?

Sorry, am a bit slow tonight.
    What do you mean peak early?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Who buys boxsets anymore? Hard drive is the way to go.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Were the parents buying X-Boxes or perhaps really good scalextrix sets in these 'stores' as you call them ?

Anyway, you might end up having a child someday, sure who knows. If that happens, be sure and not do what you were posting about above, and also don't make stuff up on the internet in front of them.

Blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

the guy himself had 3 box sets between both arms and the woman had another 2.
    But seeing people drag a kid around while they buy half a store and yet buy a girl her first DVD, that just angers me.

Must have been a small store if 5 box sets add up to half the stock.

Duiske wrote: »
    Must have been a small store if 5 box sets add up to half the stock.

Figure of speech.

Sorry, am a bit slow tonight.
    What do you mean peak early?

Ah here. Just tell us about the rest of the toys.

I clearly state in my original post that it was mentioned as being her 'first' DVD. I think it's disgusting and when i told my own parents, they also said it was horrible. And it is my business should i ever end up going to these kids when they grow up, become bank loan officers and decide to take their meager childhoods out on me. Haven't you ever heard of A Christmas Carol? Scrooge cast aside as a child, abandoned and thought only to respect money and business? See what happened to him?

The first she bought with her own money I'd imagine. You half hear a conversation and jump to numerous conclusions. It's also none of your business how they raise their child and from what I understand of your posts they were raiding their kid to be responsible and not spoiling her rotten. You bring up A Christmas Carol and then talk about bring cast aside and only respecting money and business. Surely that means that the parents are teaching their child the exact opposite by not spoiling her and teaching her that you can't always get everything you want.

Also, You do realise that A Christmas Carol is fiction?

Another ridiculous conclusion you jump to. I seriously doubt it was the first DVD she got. Perhaps it was the first DVD she bought for herself.

Did i not mention the exact words of the girl's father? " Start off your DVD collection " ?

• Advertisement

Ah here. Just tell us about the rest of the toys.

... :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement