Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Feck these wonkey legs! Was meant to strip more of the other engine but can't move so well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They need changing already? :eek:

Not really, there's 3mm left all 'round but I'm sick to the teeth of the RFTs and I have the money for new Goodyear Eagle F1's so I'm changing ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not really, there's 3mm left all 'round but I'm sick to the teeth of the RFTs and I have the money for new Goodyear Eagle F1's so I'm changing ASAP.

Bout time! You wont regret the F1's either, probably the best tyres I've ever come across and as I said a while back, after 10k miles they're at 5mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

what cars are you looking at ?

List includes:

Merc W124 (maybe)
    Saab 95
    Honda Accord Mk6
    BMW E34 or E30
    Volvo S60/80
    Rover 75
    Nissan Maxima

Basically anything that's auto, around 2L and has leather, a high spec and an NCT. This is going to be Bangernomics, so I've only €950 to spend right now.

Bout time! You wont regret the F1's either, probably the best tyres I've ever come across and as I said a while back, after 10k miles they're at 5mm.

The ones I'm getting are Assymetric 2's whereas I think you have the 1s??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Confab wrote: »
    Basically anything that's auto, around 2L and has leather, AC, electric everything and an NCT. This is going to be Bangernomics, so I've only €950 to spend right now.

You left out recently changed timing belt. ;)

OSI wrote: »
    While mine still have decent tread and limitless lateral grip, I find they started slipping under heavy acceleration a lot sooner than I expected.

That's not the tyres, that's front wheel drive :P :pac:

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    You left out recently changed timing belt. ;)

Look at the list again. Most of the cars have timing chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Nice ninja edit of the bigger dick head part of that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Probably better off in your case. ;)

• Advertisement

Timing belt roulette is well worth playing at that end of the market anyway once there's nothing renowned for having a sh1tty valvetrain design on the list :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    Timing belt roulette is well worth playing at that end of the market anyway once there's nothing renowned for having a sh1tty valvetrain design on the list :)

And is there anything there that you'd be wary of?

And is there anything there that you'd be wary of?

Merc W124 (maybe) - chain
    Saab 95 - 2.0 is chain
    Honda Accord Mk6 - belt but not overly expensive to do and I'd chance it on a €950 car
    BMW E34 or E30 - roulette on belt driven example of e30 wouldn't be my cup of tea as e30s are getting rare
    Volvo S60/80 - belts, dunno much about them
    Rover 75 - specced for 90k miles or 6 years, would risk it no bother
    Nissan Maxima - belt, I'd chance it as Maximas can be picked up for half nothing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cleared to drive :D

Battery is flat, need to get it charged, then zoom zoom :D

The ones I'm getting are Assymetric 2's whereas I think you have the 1s??

Nope, I have the 2's as well. :)
    OSI wrote: »
    While mine still have decent tread and limitless lateral grip, I find they started slipping under heavy acceleration a lot sooner than I expected.

Not actually able to comment on that, when I got the RE050A's I swapped the F1's to the front to keep the newest on the rear. There was about 5k on them when I swapped them and they never showed any sign of breaking traction up til then though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Need to get new tyres for the OHs car was slithering along on an icy road earlier

I'm half considering someday when I've some disgustingly abhorrent work or college task that I need to procrastinate on doing, doing a mega thread on the NCT.

Stheno wrote: »

I'm half considering someday when I've some disgustingly abhorrent work or college task that I need to procrastinate on doing, doing a mega thread on the NCT.

Procrastination is great... watched an entire series of a new tv show before an exam today :pac:

Procrastination is great... watched an entire series of a new tv show before an exam today :pac:

I realised an hour ago I've a three hour exam tomorrow, and I'd clean forgotten about it all week, so I've done no chuffing study!

It appears my subconscious now does the procrastinating for me :D

I'm looking forward to my email next week advising of my results :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I realised an hour ago I've a three hour exam tomorrow, and I'd clean forgotten about it all week, so I've done no chuffing study!

It appears my subconscious now does the procrastinating for me :D

I'm looking forward to my email next week advising of my results :pac:

I got the fear tonight that tomorrow is the first of march so final exams are in 2 months :eek:

Motors related, saabrina is booked in for nct next wed morning. Kinda nervous as its the first time I am putting it through, I feel it should be ok though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Need to get new tyres for the OHs car was slithering along on an icy road earlier

You can put any old ****e on the rear of his car, but make sure you get something decent for the front, those c5s have lethal understeer with bad tyres on the front (im talking plough on understeer at granny speeds, on gentle bends if its damp:eek:) whereas I let the back tyres on mine go to nearly completely bald once (as it didnt seem to be making any difference) and I still never lost grip at the rear:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭iCosmopolis

Any ideas what would cause a clunky noise/slippy/clicky feeling from wheel on passenger side when turning on a low gear/speed? On a 10 yr old Peugot 206

Jimdagym wrote: »
    I got the fear tonight that tomorrow is the first of march so final exams are in 2 months :eek:

Motors related, saabrina is booked in for nct next wed morning. Kinda nervous as its the first time I am putting it through, I feel it should be ok though...

Sabrina?

You may faint in horror, but along with my masters which pretty much has monthly assignments which go to my final grade, I'm currently at the beginning of doing ten work related exams in the next two months, have one down and nine to go :eek: Until your post I'd chosen not to total them up so now this is a good description of me :D
    http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/2000/100/2105/2105.strip.zoom.gif
    pred racer wrote: »
    You can put any old ****e on the rear of his car, but make sure you get something decent for the front, those c5s have lethal understeer with bad tyres on the front (im talking plough on understeer at granny speeds, on gentle bends if its damp:eek:) whereas I let the back tyres on mine go to nearly completely bald once (as it didnt seem to be making any difference) and I still never lost grip at the rear:cool:

Yep that's exactly the problem, especially on the nearside front, the tyres need to be replaced, and to be honest, we've just not really noticed as we've not been out and about as much recently. Will be replacing them asap! Even as the passenger tonight, I could feel the car "fighting" on that slippy patch of road if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Sabrina?

You may faint in horror, but along with my masters which pretty much has monthly assignments which go to my final grade, I'm currently at the beginning of doing ten work related exams in the next two months, have one down and nine to go :eek: Until your post I'd chosen not to total them up so now this is a good description of me :D
    http://dilbert.com/dyn/str_strip/000000000/00000000/0000000/000000/00000/2000/100/2105/2105.strip.zoom.gif

:pac:
    I'm not far off you tbh. Work + college + family. It's pretty hectic.

Its not Sabrina, its Saab-rina!
    That's what I call my 9-5.

Any ideas what would cause a clunky noise/slippy/clicky feeling from wheel on passenger side when turning on a low gear/speed? On a 10 yr old Peugot 206

Bushes, some other part of the suspension?
    Jimdagym wrote: »
    :pac:
    I'm not far off you tbh. Work + college + family. It's pretty hectic.

Its not Sabrina, its Saab-rina!
    That's what I call my 9-5.

Yeah, I'd a couple of weekends recently where I'd no college or work study needed, and I felt like I was on holiday :D That has now ended, sent a 900 word email with queries on one of my modules to my tutor last night. As they have not replied, I suspect they have died from the horror of a 900 word email about a 1500 word assignment :pac:

Ah, I like those cars, never driven one, still like them despite the sometimes negative comments on here :)

Have a colleague who has one, who gives out about wear on the tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Cleared to drive :D

Battery is flat, need to get it charged, then zoom zoom :D

One Alfa is back on the road and another is off the road, that one being mine. Broke my hand 4 weeks back according to the Xray so only got it casted today. No driving for me....:(

Good to hear you're back up and running after being on crutches though. :)

List includes:

Merc W124 (maybe)
    Saab 95
    Honda Accord Mk6
    BMW E34 or E30
    Volvo S60/80
    Rover 75
    Nissan Maxima

Basically anything that's auto, around 2L and has leather, a high spec and an NCT. This is going to be Bangernomics, so I've only €950 to spend right now.

Sounds like a tough ask but you'll probably end up changing your mind again and sticking with the automatic corsa in the end anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I placed an order with www.graveyardmotorsports.com for very specific parts (Piston rings for an aftermarket oversied set of pistons)back in late January hoping for them to arrive in time for my car to be complete for tomorrows trackday. I had to take the gamble and book and pay for my spot, although at the time it didn't seem like a gamble

So out with my engine and on it went down to the boys in DI Motorsport in Kilcoole. A bottom end of a race engine is not something I wanted to tackle myself so decided to leave it in the hands of the pros. Plan was to let the guys build the engine and when it was ready trailer the car down and let them fit it and do the initial run in. Then over to Joe Power to let him finish it off then tune it on the dyno.....

So fast forward a few weeks and no sign of my parts, trackday looming closer and I made the decision to forget about making that day because it'd end up a rush job and I don't want that for this car, I want power and need reliability which I won't get with a rushed job. Communication had broken down with graveyard which pissed me off no end, turns out my order had been lost so I got really annoyed and explained all this in an email to the owner, I was expecting a PFO from him and thought I'd done my cash and parts but no.... Jon in Graveyard offered to refund me as way of an apology and express the parts to me (I only paid for standard usps), so when it was make or break he came through, this goes a long way in my book

So I declined the offer of the refined and instead opted for them to send me a headgasket, again aftermarket, matched to bore and thinner than standard so not available locally which they were happy to do. I do like when people come through in the end :)

Just thought I'd share, not sure why lol, new date of 27th March for the car to be ready now :)

Gary ITR wrote: »
    I placed an order with www.graveyardmotorsports.com for very specific parts (Piston rings for an aftermarket oversied set of pistons)back in late January hoping for them to arrive in time for my car to be complete for tomorrows trackday. I had to take the gamble and book and pay for my spot, although at the time it didn't seem like a gamble

So out with my engine and on it went down to the boys in DI Motorsport in Kilcoole. A bottom end of a race engine is not something I wanted to tackle myself so decided to leave it in the hands of the pros. Plan was to let the guys build the engine and when it was ready trailer the car down and let them fit it and do the initial run in. Then over to Joe Power to let him finish it off then tune it on the dyno.....

So fast forward a few weeks and no sign of my parts, trackday looming closer and I made the decision to forget about making that day because it'd end up a rush job and I don't want that for this car, I want power and need reliability which I won't get with a rushed job. Communication had broken down with graveyard which pissed me off no end, turns out my order had been lost so I got really annoyed and explained all this in an email to the owner, I was expecting a PFO from him and thought I'd done my cash and parts but no.... Jon in Graveyard offered to refund me as way of an apology and express the parts to me (I only paid for standard usps), so when it was make or break he came through, this goes a long way in my book

So I declined the offer of the refined and instead opted for them to send me a headgasket, again aftermarket, matched to bore and thinner than standard so not available locally which they were happy to do. I do like when people come through in the end :)

Just thought I'd share, not sure why lol, new date of 27th March for the car to be ready now :)

Always nice to read of decent customer service especially in the motor industry. It's few and far between I find most of the timein this day and age.

Sounds like a good bloke, no doubt his customer service will be hugely beneficial if you intend on using his company again.

166man wrote: »
    One Alfa is back on the road and another is off the road, that one being mine. Broke my hand 4 weeks back according to the Xray so only got it casted today. No driving for me....:(

Good to hear you're back up and running after being on crutches though. :)

I'm STILL on the baxtard crutches :(

Mind your hand, if you've been given advice to ice it do, six weeks in a cast is it? and left hand?

• Advertisement

I'm STILL on the baxtard crutches :(

Mind your hand, if you've been given advice to ice it do, six weeks in a cast is it? and left hand?

You're still on 'em? Shucks to hear that...:o

Yeah it's the scape void that I broke which is a pain... 3 Weeks in a cast for the moment and it's the right hand..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement