Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Confab wrote: »
    Saying that auto licence holders shouldn't be on the road is utterly fatuous.

Very true, but it seems a bit silly to limit your options right from the start. ;)

Edit: as a matter of interest, are there any mainstream cars that are not available in auto?
    Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

pred racer wrote: »
    Very tue, but it seems a bit silly to limit your options right from the start. ;)

Couldn't get access to a manual for the test. Long story.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Edit: as a matter of interest, are there any mainstream cars that are not available in auto?
    Just curious.

Mazda 3 and 6 MPS were only ever available in manual.

Kind of, but I've always wanted a W124.

I had to google W124, am I turning into a bird??:eek:
    Couldn't get access to a manual for the test.

Dont get me wrong here, do and drive whatever you like. But thats a pretty lame excuse:p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I though some people might like this:

Land Rover defender
    1:8.5 Scale
    3500 parts, 7 motors.
    Realistic steering
    Disc Brakes on all 4 wheels.
    5+R Sequential gearbox
    High/low range transfer box.

You can buy instruction for this thing and here is the full review of it with very detailed build. Its a shame i don't have enough parts for this and it will cost me a fortune to get the rest. :(

When this will get 10k votes, there is a small chance it might be done as an official set.

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16894

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80063

img_0132.jpg

img_0156.jpg

img_0153.jpg

img_0150.jpg

• Advertisement

I had to google W124, am I turning into a bird??:eek:

Dont get me wrong here, do and drive whatever you like. But thats a pretty lame excuse:p

I'll take your advice so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

WTF is up with that Accord though? And did Aoife and yer man get it on in the end??? :D
    Mazda 3 and 6 MPS were only ever available in manual.
    A good few cars were only manual, many diesels from brands were only manual. Diesel sucks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Diesel sucks though.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I wouldnt call the MPS mainstream but the Mazda 6 did come in Auto, alot of sport cars didnt come in auto, like the S2000 or the Civic type R but with double clutch technology things are changing, soon I would say auto will be the status quo and you will have to order manual as an optional extra.

I wouldnt call the MPS mainstream but the Mazda 6 did come in Auto, alot of sport cars didnt come in auto, like the S2000 or the Civic type R but with double clutch technology things are changing, soon I would say auto will be the status quo and you will have to order manual as an optional extra.

I presume that seeing as the manual gearbox is an ancient and proven technology, it will always be cheaper to produce than any form of double clutch gearbox?? So will continue to be supplied on 'normal cars'

Entirely apart from the manual vs auto debate or even the "i'd love a flappy paddle gearbox" debate.

What is the benefit to the car manufacturer of this kind of set up? Is it that it ups the desireability of these models and a premium can be charged or are there mechanical/engineering reasons they are fitted? Ie. CO2, mpg, longevity. Or is it just a case of we can, so we do?

An example of this would be the push button start in my car, it works no better or worse than turning a key in an ignition, so why do they bother?

Another example would be electronic handbrakes.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts or knowledge on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I presume that seeing as the manual gearbox is an ancient and proven technology, it will always be cheaper to produce than any form of double clutch gearbox?? So will continue to be supplied on 'normal cars'

Entirely apart from the manual vs auto debate or even the "i'd love a flappy paddle gearbox" debate.

What is the benefit to the car manufacturer of this kind of set up? Is it that it ups the desireability of these models and a premium can be charged or are there mechanical/engineering reasons they are fitted? Ie. CO2, mpg, longevity. Or is it just a case of we can, so we do?

An example of this would be the push button start in my car, it works no better or worse than turning a key in an ignition, so why do they bother?

Another example would be electronic handbrakes.

I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts or knowledge on this.
    They are getting lower CO2 and better mpg out of modern Auto's in the official tests, so that's probably what's driving that.
    Push button starts are cool, so why not?
    And electronic handbrakes are just a convenience for people. Don't bother releasing any handbrake, let the machine do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I do not like electronic handbrakes. They're useless for control and if the battery is flat how do you move the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

sold the civic, got close enough to what I wanted for it, keys handed over tomorrow, will be sad to see her go :(

as of tomorrow I have no car, need to buy a new one now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

sold the civic, got close enough to what I wanted for it, keys handed over tomorrow, will be sad to see her go :(

I was in the same position two weeks ago. It felt terrible having no car. But at least you have cash and are in the driving seat as your not trying to trade in a car to a dealer. Congrats best of luck with finding a replacement.:)

Bpmull wrote: »

I was in the same position two weeks ago. It felt terrible having no car. But at least you have cash and are in the driving seat as your not trying to trade in a car to a dealer. Congrats best of luck with finding a replacement.:)

I have tonight with my car, so one last night delivering pizza ! then tomorrow into the dealer with it, ep mooney may have it now so.

looking at cars tomorrow so I am now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I might be on TV3 news, they were filming on the quays and yapping as I was stuck in traffic behind the reporter looking at them....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

One of the WORST and at same time one of the BEST feelings in the world.

No car? What about the HRV or CRV or whatever it is?

EDIT: I get it now, that's not really a car!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Just finished giving the car a wash in the freezing cold finished in darkness after finally fixing the hose my dog decided to eat :p

No pics as cameraphone is banjaxxed :(

One of the WORST and at same time one of the BEST feelings in the world.

That's a great way of summing it up alright. My last car was really my first car to own myself and first car to sell. When I sold it I was delighted as I got a good price for it and knew the car didnt suit my needs. But then when I saw It being driven away I felt terrible I was Carless and felt all this uncertainty. But ultimately I made the right choice and I'm very happy with my new car granted I only have it a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Yea but you didn't send your car to the butchers yard :p

:pac:

Yea but you didn't send your car to the butchers yard :p

:pac:

The guy that bought it seemed as if he was going to mind it. He had a 97 astra van with 300k miles on it. The only reason he bought my astra van was that his was so rusted it wouldn't pass the doe. I think he owned the 97 since 2000. So doesn't change his cars to often.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    No car? What about the HRV or CRV or whatever it is?

EDIT: I get it now, that's not really a car!?!

He sold it to a mate a while back, didn't plan it it AFAIK, just happened.

CianRyan wrote: »

Ah, ok - I thought it was supposed to be a joke! :o

CianRyan wrote: »

that was exactly it.

sold it to a guy I used to work it that I still hang out with. he moved off to the country side with two dogs so decided to get rid of his micra and bought the crv off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Got a puncture on the way home. Is it wrong that I enjoyed the wheel change process? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Got a puncture on the way home. Is it wrong that I enjoyed the wheel change process? :D

It is if you got a puncture on the one you kerbed :P Otherwise, no!

Looks like my return to normal tyres which was supposed to be tomorrow could be postponed until next week :( They got the front 2 delivered 2 weeks ago but the rears are supposed to be in tomorrow but there's been no confirmation yet.

From tomorrow I might have a valid reason to buy a car. Joy!

From tomorrow I might have a valid reason to buy a car. Joy!

what cars are you looking at ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks like my return to normal tyres which was supposed to be tomorrow could be postponed until next week :( They got the front 2 delivered 2 weeks ago but the rears are supposed to be in tomorrow but there's been no confirmation yet.

They need changing already? :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement