Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***Motors Chat Thread Round 3***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Have to stop drooling over a car that parks in the same car park as me :( Told the driver he had a gorgeous car :D He must think i'm a lunatic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Autosport wrote: »
    Have to stop drooling over a car that parks in the same car park as me :( Told the driver he had a gorgeous car :D He must think i'm a lunatic :D
    What is it? Then we can judge on your levels of lunacy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    What is it? Then we can judge on your levels of lunacy :P

Audi A5 3.0tdi :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Not my job

182509-image1361989576-300x200.jpg
    Robbed from the journal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

1000.4 miles in under a week. Yaaaay! :p

The last 50 on some of the sh*ttiest roads one can imagine.... Crossed the 1k mark navigating through a pothole :mad:

On another note, burgers, chips, a big pizza and no excersise is the only way to do a fitness run. Came 3rd out of about 15 earlier, pipped only by officers :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dgt wrote: »
    1000.4 miles in under a week. Yaaaay! :p

The last 50 on some of the sh*ttiest roads one can imagine.... Crossed the 1k mark navigating through a pothole :mad:

On another note, burgers, chips, a big pizza and no excersise is the only way to do a fitness run. Came 3rd out of about 15 earlier, pipped only by officers :pac:

How much did that cost you in juice actually?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

langdang wrote: »
    Don't they always...
    Let us know if you ever see it! :p

My Bf owes me money :) I get it back over an agreed timeframe.
    What are you doing loaning without an agreement?
    How much did that cost you in juice actually?

I'd wager it was less than the burgers, chips and pizza bill :D

I don't know yet, it will take about 60ish litres to brim the tank and filler, have put 50litres in so far since the last refil last wed night (fill by litres not euros/pounds) Not as much motorway use this time, a lot of back roads and regional roads. Eg from Waterford instead of being sensible and going up the M9 I went through Wexford then the Wicklow mountains and places like Avoca :p

Shes easy on juice despite being a mech setup :) if it was flat running like to and from the meet it would be even easier!

When I brim it I'll know for sure, it looks like it's well over the 40 mpg mark anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Confab wrote: »
    Yup.

In other news, the gf is looking for a job that may require a car, finally a legitimate excuse to buy a car for myself! Has to be something that will take away the Corsa shame... and be auto. GS300 anyone?

To be honest after this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82228549

this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82804859

and finally this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82940087

I'm a little lost as to what to recommend as you seem to keep changing minds. I'd still recommend the Saab 9-5 as a good car fot your needs. The tax on the GS300 is painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Even though the Saabs look great and have great too end power, I've been told they're pretty floaty and numb to actually drive and just not very fun.

My opinion? Go out and drive as many cars as you can, that'll tell you far more than anything else.

Edit: You shouldn't write off an MX5 either, here's a beautiful low mileage auto one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

CianRyan wrote: »
    Even though the Saabs look great and have great too end power, I've been told they're pretty floaty and numb to actually drive and just not very fun.

My opinion? Go out and drive as many cars as you can, that'll tell you far more than anything else.

Edit: You shouldn't write off an MX5 either, here's a beautiful low mileage auto one.

An auto MX-5 :eek: no thanks. I do like the MX-5s but there are much better options out there if you have to go the auto route.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »

An auto MX-5 :eek: no thanks

He's only got an auto licence which is why he was writing them off on the first place.
    Manual all the way for me though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,373 ✭✭✭Dartz

Megane Coupe 1.2tce, thoughts?

Mostly because somebody at home wants a new car.....has a budget of about 20k, and we've never really had a complaint about Renaults.

Bought 4 in a row at this stage and they've all been faithful. It's also 2 grand cheaper than the diesel, more powerful, and only slightly more expensive to run annually. Especially since it'll be used for shorter journeys.

That and the nuts can be revved off it. But the sheeple will go for diesel.

I love that word 'sheeple'..... it's so inherently funny. Overused a little bit, but the rediculousness of it always makes me smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I don't really understand why anyone goes for an Auto licence.

It's like going for a haircut and only getting half of it done.

Unless for physical reasons, I understand that but if you're not competent enough or just too lazy to do it then you shouldn't really be on the road at all.

Unless for physical reasons, I understand that but if you're not competent enough or just too lazy to do it then you shouldn't really be on the road at all.

Some people just don't give a **** about driving, when I told herself about auto cars and the auto licence her eyes lit up. Still wont have her driving any time soon but at least she knows there's an easier option.

For some one that likes cars though, yeah, manual all the way.

New test date, March 14th! :D

OSI wrote: »

Ah seriously man, come on, we get that you prefer manual, but don't go around saying that someone that likes cars can only like manuals.

Ah no, I just mean for the test so you're not limiting yourself.
    I see the benefits of auto, fully intend to have one at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I know of one person that got an auto license because they were given an auto micra when they were learning by their grandmother because it couldn't be sold and they couldn't be bothered to find something else.

That's all well and good, but it'll still cost the same to do your lessons in the instructors manual car, and buttons to do your test in it too.

At least that way you know how to drive a manual car and that option is there.

Do you really want to look like the fat man from Boston who gets into his rental micra at Shannon and ends up doing the ring of Kerry in second gear cos he can't drive "a shift stick"?

Didn't think so....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

a saab 93 aero. different suspension set up. theyre not anyway worse to drive than a gs300 id imagine anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Ah seriously man, come on, we get that you prefer manual, but don't go around saying that someone that likes cars can only like manuals.

A lot of autoboxes are terrible though, DSG being the obvious exception

To limit yourself in that way seems a bit mad if I'm honest, when my Dad was doing his test he had an auto but got a manual for the test just to keep his options open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Oh I know, and I hated pretty much auto I'd driven before the DSG.

They got the gearboxes right, just a pity about the rest of the car...

I jest :pac:

• Advertisement

I know two lads who learned to drive in their 40s, one started off in manual but he wasn't progressing as quickly as he wanted to and tried an auto and was ahppy out.

Both of them wanted to pass a test quickly enough and had no real interest in cars other than seeing the benefit in having one (years of buses, lifts and taxi spins :) ).

Years on they're both happy out in their auto cars, Focus and Astra :)

Both quite competent drivers in their auto cars so I can't see the rationale in anyone reckoning they shouldn't be on the road tbh.

As "bad" as auto boxes are I prefer them to manuals for day to day motoring which is all most of us ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭rocky

a saab 93 aero. different suspension set up. theyre not anyway worse to drive than a gs300 id imagine anyway

FWD vs RWD
    turbo vs NA

my preference would be the lexus. Is it the newer model 05+ ?

Literally no point in arguing anything like that with this person. They're a wannabe parish pump politician type that would argue against physical proof rather than admit they were wrong.

You're Micra buddy?

It's the Aero I'm talking about, more the stealing feel that people complain about. A bit of a turn in and hope the car complies sensation is what I've heard. Then, I've not driven either so it's all Chinese whispers really.

Literally no point in arguing anything like that with this person. They're a wannabe parish pump politician type that would argue against physical proof rather than admit they were wrong.

Who?

Edit: late post, thought you meant me for a minute.

Edit: late post, thought you meant me for a minute.

So did I until I saw the Micra post :D

Given up on the job hunt and going straight into politics eh? :pac:

My mam says I've a brass neck, might be the right move. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Given up on the job hunt and going straight into politics eh? :pac:

Screen_shot_2013_02_28_at_120513.png

Arguing with yourself is always a good start in politics alright..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

166man wrote: »
    To be honest after this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82228549

this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82804859

and finally this thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82940087

I'm a little lost as to what to recommend as you seem to keep changing minds. I'd still recommend the Saab 9-5 as a good car fot your needs. The tax on the GS300 is painful.

Oh I change my mind very often. Today, for instance, I'm researching W124s.

Unless for physical reasons, I understand that but if you're not competent enough or just too lazy to do it then you shouldn't really be on the road at all..

Saying that auto licence holders shouldn't be on the road is utterly fatuous.

Confab wrote: »
    Oh I change my mind very often. Today, for instance, I'm researching W124s.

Are you indecisive? Yes, no, maybe perhaps? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

dgt wrote: »
    Are you indecisive? Yes, no, maybe perhaps? :p

Kind of, but I've always wanted a W124.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement