Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remove speed limit from Motorways:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

RustyNut wrote: »
    Really?

All the unexpected dangers

So really please give any example of such unexpected danger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Personally I don't mind people who are happy at 85kmh on the motorway, so long as they stick to the left hand lane. If they fell like overtaking someone doing 80kph, I'd say don't

+1 agree dont care if someone wants to potter along the motorway at 80-100 so long as they do it in the left hand lane

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

CiniO wrote: »
    So really please give any example of such unexpected danger

Maby I owe you an apology, I drive so that I always expect the unexpected.

28 years of driving experiance has thaught me that just when you think that you know just what to expect something unexpected happens.

Things that have happened to me in the passed have included encountering all sorts of unexpected hazards lying in the road,dead cow, drunk person,spare wheel, a bed in one case and lots of other stuff. The one thing all these have in common is that as I drove off I was thinking, jasus wasn't expecting that.

However you are obviously a much better, safer driver than my self as you would have been expecting these things and so I take back my previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Wow... that's some speedy rabbit!!

What do they taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Things that have happened to me in the passed have included encountering all sorts of unexpected hazards lying in the road,dead cow, drunk person,spare wheel, a bed in one case and lots of other stuff.

Wow, a dead cow jumped out in front of you from behind no hedge?

• Advertisement

hazards lying in the road
    Wow, a dead cow jumped out in front of you from behind no hedge?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

No speed limit just reduces the capacity of the motorway (Just drive regularly on the German Motorways and you'll know what I mean)

I think a speed target on the motorway would be much better, everyone travelling at the same speed would reduce the rolling traffic jam issues.

120 is optimal I think, makes no sense in Ireland to have no speed limit, country is too small and driving faster makes very little difference in time unless you travel long distance without stopping(800-1000km)

Also it uses a lot more fuel and increases Co2 emissions, theres war over here now as their trying to scrap the tax exemption on old timer cars stating that the Co2 emissions are the reason.

They increased the National speed limit from 120 to 130 which they've calculated will increase the emissions more than all the oldtimers currently on the road combined.

The 130 speed limit instead of 120 makes a different of about 2-3 minutes for me on a journey of 128 km (Home to work)

28 years of driving experiance has thaught me that just when you think that you know just what to expect something unexpected happens.

Things that have happened to me in the passed have included encountering all sorts of unexpected hazards lying in the road,dead cow, drunk person,spare wheel, a bed in one case and lots of other stuff. The one thing all these have in common is that as I drove off I was thinking, jasus wasn't expecting that.

However you are obviously a much better, safer driver than my self as you would have been expecting these things and so I take back my previous posts.

No need for this mocking overtone.

It's just I think you can't exactly imagine the road I'm talking about.
    Any obstacle on the road size of cow, drunk person or spare wheel would be seen from far enough to be able to stop from 160km/h.
    Beside chances of meeting a drunk person or a cow in place where nearest house is over 10 km away is smaller than meeting UFO.
    All I said was I see stretch of road which is clear of anything, so I can go fast.
    When I approach blind bend or anything which might cause any danger, I slow down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

This thread is now verging on the ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

No doubt everyone should expect the unexpected, but in fairness an increased speed limit on a wide motorway with proper barriers in place and long straights should ensure that you see things like dead cows and beds long before you reach them, even at 200kmh.

• Advertisement

No speed limit just reduces the capacity of the motorway (Just drive regularly on the German Motorways and you'll know what I mean)

I think a speed target on the motorway would be much better, everyone travelling at the same speed would reduce the rolling traffic jam issues.
    I can't really comment on capacity, as I never commuted on motorways in Germany, but from my point of view (person driving through the whole country once a while) it's much nicer and easier to drive in Germany where speed diffrence between lanes are bigger, than f.e. UK, where all 3 lanes seem to move at very similar speed.
    German way just reduces situations where two vehicles travel side by side at nearly the same speed for longer periods.
    In Germany it's easy. You go, if you approach anything in front of you you check mirrors, indicate, check mirrors, start moving to left lane, check mirrors, move to left lane, check mirrors, and if there is still nothing coming up at 300km/h you proceed to overtake (joke).
    You just normally change lane, overtake and come back to the right side again, obviously having in mind that there might be something coming quite fast from behind.
    Also it uses a lot more fuel and increases Co2 emissions, theres war over here now as their trying to scrap the tax exemption on old timer cars stating that the Co2 emissions are the reason.

They increased the National speed limit from 120 to 130 which they've calculated will increase the emissions more than all the oldtimers currently on the road combined.

The 130 speed limit instead of 120 makes a different of about 2-3 minutes for me on a journey of 128 km (Home to work)

So is it not 130km/h limit in Netherland?
    Did they change limit in Belgium as well, do you know?

No doubt everyone should expect the unexpected, but in fairness an increased speed limit on a wide motorway with proper barriers in place and long straights should ensure that you see things like dead cows and beds long before you reach them, even at 200kmh.

I agree 100% 200 K's on the motorway for the right lad in the right car should be no problem.
    Cino was talking about a "narrow country road" and anybody who thinks they knows exactly what to expect on any county road is deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Bad idea. Drive down the M50 any typical day and you'll quickly see why.

Should have said the right motorway.

I can't really comment on capacity, as I never commuted on motorways in Germany, but from my point of view (person driving through the whole country once a while) it's much nicer and easier to drive in Germany where speed diffrence between lanes are bigger, than f.e. UK, where all 3 lanes seem to move at very similar speed.
    German way just reduces situations where two vehicles travel side by side at nearly the same speed for longer periods.
    In Germany it's easy. You go, if you approach anything in front of you you check mirrors, indicate, check mirrors, start moving to left lane, check mirrors, move to left lane, check mirrors, and if there is still nothing coming up at 300km/h you proceed to overtake (joke).
    You just normally change lane, overtake and come back to the right side again, obviously having in mind that there might be something coming quite fast from behind.

Agree that driving long distance off peak (Drove Eindhoven - Berlin recently) makes a big difference if you can maintain a good average speed.

But during rush hours its bloody shocking, massive rolling traffic jams for no other reason that people driving too fast. (Speeding up and slowing down, causing a domino effect on the few hundred cars behind you)

The Dutch Motorways handle high volumes of traffic much better.
    So is it not 130km/h limit in Netherland?
    Did they change limit in Belgium as well, do you know?

I don't believe so, it changed in September 1st this year.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/08/speed_limit_goes_up_to_130_kph.php

Belgian one is unchanged I think (thank god)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I agree 100% 200 K's on the motorway for the right lad in the right car should be no problem.
    Cino was talking about a "narrow country road" and anybody who thinks they knows exactly what to expect on any county road is deluded.
    I think electronic speed limits up to 160kph in this country wouldn't result in any change in road deaths to be honest.
    Obviously the M50 would never see that, but stretches of the M4 and M6 and M7 would have no problem coping in good conditions with very low volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Does anybody know the number of drivers on our roads who cant

read or write........?

next question .......how did they get their driving licences...????

Does anybody know the number of drivers sniffing drugs .....leave out yer

man in the Dail........

With situations such as above.... leads me to the opinion.......

we are lucky to be allowed to do 100 kph on most national roads.....

RustyNut I must admit now I don't really get your logic.

You see no problem is someone doing 200 km/h on motorway in right circumstances, but you see huge problem with doing 160km/h on empty clear regional road, which I told was free of any usual dangers of country roads.

Are you trying to tell me that unexpected can't happen on motorway?
    That there can't be drunk man, dead cow or a spare wheel lying on the motorway?
    That there are no rabbits running across the motorways?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

RustyNut I must admit now I don't really get your logic.

You see no problem is someone doing 200 km/h on motorway in right circumstances, but you see huge problem with doing 160km/h on empty clear regional road, which I told was free of any usual dangers of country roads.

Are you trying to tell me that unexpected can't happen on motorway?
    That there can't be drunk man, dead cow or a spare wheel lying on the motorway?
    That there are no rabbits running across the motorways?

The point was, a poster claimed some drivers can safely drive at 160kph on back roads. You backed this claim up, using a very particular type of back road, and in reality, a tiny section of the back road, in your description of how this is possible.

It is far easier to drive at 160kph on a motorway than any back road, no matter who the driver is. Jump into a car with any driver, let them attempt 160kph on a few back roads, and then a few motorways, and see how safe you feel as a passenger on each road.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The point was, a poster claimed some drivers can safely drive at 160kph on back roads. You backed this claim up, using a very particular type of back road, and in reality, a tiny section of the back road, in your description of how this is possible.

It is far easier to drive at 160kph on a motorway than any back road, no matter who the driver is. Jump into a car with any driver, let them attempt 160kph on a few back roads, and then a few motorways, and see how safe you feel as a passenger on each road.

I agree 100% with you here.

But it's just funny for me how RustyNut sees so many possibilites of unexpected on empty backroad, while he sees none of them on motorway.

Unexpected things can happen anywhere really.

• Advertisement

I agree 100% with you here.

But it's just funny for me how RustyNut sees so many possibilites of unexpected on empty backroad, while he sees none of them on motorway.

I had a rottweiler run out on the Autobahn on the way to Cologne, scared the crap out of me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I had a rottweiler run out on the Autobahn on the way to Cologne, scared the crap out of me :D

That would do some damage if hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

robbie7730 wrote: »
    That would do some damage if hit.

Very true. As we all know, the speed you hit it at is a squared law. So the difference between hitting a rabbit at 120km/h (1763J) and 160km/h (3135J) is 1372 Joules on impact energy. And thats with a 3kg rabbit. Just linearly scale up to get a dog.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Very true. As we all know, the speed you hit it at is a squared law. So the difference between hitting a rabbit at 120km/h (1763J) and 160km/h (3135J) is 1372 Joules on impact energy. And thats with a 3kg rabbit. Just linearly scale up to get a dog.

:eek:

Did you count the kinetic energy of 3kg rabbit at 120km/h?
    If so, it comes up 1666J instead of 1763J.
    And 2962J at 160km/h instead of 3135J.

But maybe you counted something else... I'd love to know TBH...

PS - You must be the only person on boards, who can write kilometres per hour unit correctly (km/h) instead of kph, kmh, k/hr, kp/hr, kmph, khr, and other funny stuff people use here.
    It's actually surprising how many different forms can be invented without acutally anyone being able to use correct one ;)

But I know one particular road which I know perfectly, I know what to expect on this road, and therefore I know it's safe

This is not the same as

This which I agree with completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

If so, it comes up 1666J instead of 1763J.

He was using the metric hour.

This which I agree with completely.

Can you agree to both? (above and below)?

He was using the metric hour.

I don't understand the above/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I don't understand the above/

Spurious accuracy cinio.

Did you take into account energy lost due to sound, heat etc. 1/2mv2 only applies to rigid bodies in a closed syatem. Neither rabbit not bumper are rigid.

1700 joules if both bodies were rigid would likely rip the front clean wheel off. Imagine a 3 kg piece of metal hitting a glass car at 120kmp/h-1. Different story.

Classical mechanic deosn't always apply very well to cars in reality.

• Advertisement

Spurious accuracy cinio.

Did you take into account energy lost due to sound, heat etc. 1/2mv2 only applies to rigid bodies in a closed syatem. Neither rabbit not bumper are rigid.

1700 joules if both bodies were rigid would likely rip the front clean wheel off. Imagine a 3 kg piece of metal hitting a glass car at 120kmp/h-1. Different story.

Classical mechanic deosn't always apply very well to cars in reality.

I know that.
    I was just wondering where did ironclaw got those figures, as they are very close to just straight counting 1/2*mv^2

Advertisement