Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remove speed limit from Motorways:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Can anyone tell me how many drivers on our roads cant "read or write".....

how many have physical and eye sight impairments......

how many have intellect/ cognitive impairments.......

how many have hearing impairments.....

how many have temporary injuries which affect their ability to fully use their

neck, back, arms, legs etc etc......

now add the gob****es who know everything and want to drive like thunder....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

One thing worth mentioning is that I'm talking about specific place.

djimi wrote: »
    Never seen a fox/rabbit/dog suddenly appear from the side of a country road? Id love to see you deal with that at 100mph...

Fox / rabbit - yes - occasionally.
    Dog - never unless there is a sheep farmer around gathering his sheep.

ironclaw wrote: »
    Deal with a deer or similar and let us know how you get on.
    No deer around.
    The suggestion that its safe to do in excess of 100km/h on some of the back roads in Ireland because there is the occasional hill for a look out is utter lunacy. And thats coming from someone where WRC rallying is in the immediate family. You should always proceed at a speed where you have a chance of reaction and course correction given the distance in front you can see. The difference in a close road scenario is you have pace notes in one ear and the knowledge that in 99% of the cases the road ahead is clear, then you can push as hard as you like.
    Chance of meeting rabbit, for or deer during rally SS is the same as in normal traffic.
    Stage is closed, but animals don't really know about it - do they?

In the specific case discussed here where an animal runs out into the road, this is simply impossible. An animal can literally run under your wheels.
    As you said - I wouldn't make much difference if rabbit runs in front of you at 80km/h or 160km/h. You wouldn't be able to do anything anyway.
    I know of a case where a horse jumped a hedge and came through the windscreen. That could happen when you are not moving at all.
    No horses around in my place.
    "Course correction" is very often the wrong thing to do in this case anyway. Running over a rabbit is much safer than swerving to avoid it.
    Agree.
    Running over a rabbit at 100mph is likely to cause you big problems whether you swerve to avoid it or not.
    Why?
    I can't see a difference between running a rabbit at 160km/h or 80km/h.
    And are you really trying to say that there is no difference between trying to deal with a situation like that at 50mph than there is at 100mph? :confused:
    Rabbit in front of your car can appear anytime and at any speed.
    Over last 5 years here, I run over 2 rabbits, and both situation happened at speeds lower than 60km/h.
    The bravado from some people both in this thread and others is laughable. Sebastian Loeb wouldnt drive most country roads I know at 100mph; if anyone on here thinks that they can then they need to either stop talking nonsense or take a good hard long look at themselves.

Of course Loeb wouldn't drive most country roads at 100mph unless they were closed special stage.
    I wouldn't drive country roads either at those speeds.
    But I know one particular road which I know perfectly, I know what to expect on this road, and therefore I know it's safe to do speeds like that.

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Care to define "perfectly safe"?

Perfectly safe for me means driving without doing harm to any other human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Caliden wrote: »
    I'd like to see the statistics for roads deaths occurring on Irish Motorways compared to Irish secondary roads.

The road outside my house has a limit of 80km/h but doing that speed would put you through the wall seeing as the road is wide enough for one car.

Motorways are far safer than secondary roads and the limit should be increased to 140km/h. Most people do this speed now anyway

Motorways are clearly safer, but that does not mean the 120 km/h speed limit is too low.

I'd be interested to know how many fatalities have occurred on those 80 km/h boreens that are frequently mentioned in this forum.

I've looked through this RSA report just now, but that particular information doesn't jump out at me: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/links_research/RCF20083-2-2010.pdf

larchill wrote: »
    Most trucks I see these days are doing 90 - 100kph!:D

They are doing 90km/h becuase they have limiters set to 90km/h.
    Very few truck drivers would risk driving without speed limiter fitted.

Also legal speed limit for trucks on motorways in Ireland is 90km/h, not as someone mentioned before 80km/h.

CiniO wrote: »

Perfectly safe for me means driving without doing harm to any other human being.

Sorry to be pedantic, but how would you define "harm"?

• Advertisement

Sorry to be pedantic, but how would you define "harm"?

Without endangering, scaring, frightening, injuring, killing, causing any material damage, etc...

In general, if there is anyone else on the road or it's surroundings, I wouldn't do 160km/h on country road.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Don't join a motor way if you intend on doing less then 85 kph, plenty of other roads avalaible where you can drive at as low a speed as you want.

You'd prefer slow moving traffic to be on a road where they may be difficult to pass and causing more obstruction, than on a motorway where there is no hold up and can be passed safely and with ease?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

awec wrote: »
    I also don't get the obsession with the autobahn. Only some of the Autobahn network has no speed limit. It's not the free-for-all that people think.
    No, but I've been on it a few times and it works well.
    And for the folk who complain about the extra fuel, you don't have to drive at the limit!

It BeeMee wrote: »
    You'd prefer slow moving traffic to be on a road where they may be difficult to pass and causing more obstruction, than on a motorway where there is no hold up and can be passed safely and with ease?
    Personally I don't mind people who are happy at 85kmh on the motorway, so long as they stick to the left hand lane. If they fell like overtaking someone doing 80kph, I'd say don't

Without endangering, scaring, frightening, injuring, killing, causing any material damage, etc...

In general, if there is anyone else on the road or it's surroundings, I wouldn't do 160km/h on country road.

Easier said than done, I would suggest.

A couple of general principles apply also, in my opinion.

1. Expected the unexpected.

2. The fact that nothing has happened on previous occasions when (if) you drove at 160 km/h on such roads is not a reliable indicator that the behaviour is "perfectly safe".

• Advertisement

Park Royal wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how many drivers on our roads cant "read or write".....

how many have physical and eye sight impairments......

how many have intellect/ cognitive impairments.......

how many have hearing impairments.....

how many have temporary injuries which affect their ability to fully use their

neck, back, arms, legs etc etc......

now add the gob****es who know everything and want to drive like thunder....

You're missing some major risk factors (or risk markers) there...

Easier said than done, I would suggest.

A couple of general principles apply also, in my opinion.

1. Expected the unexpected.

2. The fact that nothing has happened on previous occasions when (if) you drove at 160 km/h on such roads is not a reliable indicator that the behaviour is "perfectly safe".

I know it might sound strange, but believe me.
    I'm talking about road without any junctions, without any hidden entrances.
    Just road on a huge grass field, with perfect view.
    There is no question about other cars or people, as you would see them beforehand.

Of course there might be some rabbits running, but that's kind of danger you can encounter anywhere.
    You might also meet one on German motorway doing 200km/h.
    Or you can get a blowout.
    There is always some risk.
    But my way of thinking is, that if there is no one else around and there is 100% chance there won't be, then I'm free to do any speed I want, because all I'm risking is my own safety.

Actually I feel much safer doing 160km/h on road I described, than on Irish motorway where there are other drivers - as you don't know what you can expect from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Fox / rabbit - yes - occasionally.
    Dog - never unless there is a sheep farmer around gathering his sheep.

No deer around.

The majority of my 12 years of driving has been done on country roads, and in that time I have seen most things jump out of hedges, ranging from rabbits, foxes, dogs, cats, horses, sheep and cattle. If you dont expect all of those things and then some then you have no business being on the road quite frankly.
    As you said - I wouldn't make much difference if rabbit runs in front of you at 80km/h or 160km/h. You wouldn't be able to do anything anyway.

You dont think that you would have a better chance of dealing with a situation at 50mph than you would at 100mph? :confused:
    Why?
    I can't see a difference between running a rabbit at 160km/h or 80km/h.

Rabbit in front of your car can appear anytime and at any speed.
    Over last 5 years here, I run over 2 rabbits, and both situation happened at speeds lower than 60km/h.

Hitting something at lower speeds is likely to have less effect on your forward momentum than hitting something at high speeds. Ive seen drivers lose control after hitting animals and other obsticles; it stands to reason that the faster you are travelling the more chance you have of losing control, and the bigger the potential mess...
    But I know one particular road which I know perfectly, I know what to expect on this road, and therefore I know it's safe to do speeds like that.

You never know what to expect when driving on a country road, ever. If you think you do then you need to seriously cop on to yourself and reevaluate how you drive a car.

The majority of my 12 years of driving has been done on country roads, and in that time I have seen most things jump out of hedges, ranging from rabbits, foxes, dogs, cats, horses, sheep and cattle. If you dont expect all of those things and then some then you have no business being on the road quite frankly.
    All right, but the thing here is, that there is no hedges so nothing can suddenly jump out of it.
    I admit - I wouldn't spot a rabbit running towards the road while doing 160km/h, but horse or cow - yes. Anyway - there's none of these. Only animals around are rabbits, foxes (very occasionally - i've seen one over last 5 years), and sheep (which are easy to spot)

You dont think that you would have a better chance of dealing with a situation at 50mph than you would at 100mph? :confused:
    If rabbit runs straight in front of me, there is no dealing with a situation really. You just drive ahead as you did without doing anything, no matter what your speed is.
    Hitting something at lower speeds is likely to have less effect on your forward momentum than hitting something at high speeds. Ive seen drivers lose control after hitting animals and other obsticles; it stands to reason that the faster you are travelling the more chance you have of losing control, and the bigger the potential mess...
    Hitting a rabbit at 160km/h is still no dangerous and it's not going to cause a mess.
    You never know what to expect when driving on a country road, ever. If you think you do then you need to seriously cop on to yourself and reevaluate how you drive a car.
    Maybe I described it wrongly.
    It's not a country road.
    It's a road in the middle of nowhere without anything around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Motorways are clearly safer, but that does not mean the 120 km/h speed limit is too low.

I'd be interested to know how many fatalities have occurred on those 80 km/h boreens that are frequently mentioned in this forum.

I've looked through this RSA report just now, but that particular information doesn't jump out at me: http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Licensed%20Drivers/links_research/RCF20083-2-2010.pdf

But it's exactly what it is, a limit not a target.

I'm all for an increase in the limit but I wouldn't drive it myself as it wouldn't be economical.

Quote from the article: "Three out of 4 of all fatal collisions were either single vehicle, head-on collision or pedestrian collisions.."

and on page 3 it shows the type of roads, motorway/dual carraigeway being amoung the lowest (motorway accounts for 1.2% of fatal AND injury collisions).

2 way single carraigeway has the highest fatalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

All right, but the thing here is, that there is no hedges so nothing can suddenly jump out of it.
    I admit - I wouldn't spot a rabbit running towards the road while doing 160km/h, but horse or cow - yes. Anyway - there's none of these. Only animals around are rabbits, foxes (very occasionally - i've seen one over last 5 years), and sheep (which are easy to spot)
    Maybe I described it wrongly.
    It's not a country road.
    It's a road in the middle of nowhere without anything around.

If you are talking about somewhere like the Curragh where its completely flat with grass leading into road and no hedges blind spots then fair enough; thats not a country road and as you say you will most likely spot most things a distance away (dont be sure of spotting everything; things like foxes are not as easy to spot in the distance as you might think).

This by any chance isnt a road that you posted a picture of before, is it? I seem to remember you talking about your speedway once before and posting a picture of road that had fences running alongside it. It didnt seem to be quite as safe as you are making it out to be, but maybe Im thinking of the wrong road/poster.
    If rabbit runs straight in front of me, there is no dealing with a situation really. You just drive ahead as you did without doing anything, no matter what your speed is.

If something literally jumps under your wheels then yes, there is nothing that you can do about it (its a simple fact of driving on country roads). However more often that not it will be the case that you have some time to react, which is obviously where your speed comes into play. Any amount of speed is a calculated risk, but I would say that most road users could cope with the majority of situations at speeds up to 40-50mph. Id say its only the very tiny minority of drivers who would not end up in a serious accident if faced with the same situation at speeds of 90-100mph...

Hitting a rabbit at 160km/h is still no dangerous and it's not going to cause a mess.

You absolutely confident of that? Are you certain that at 100mph you would not lose control if you hit an unforeseen obstacle? I doubt even professional race drivers would say that with any real certainty...

Of course there might be some rabbits running, but that's kind of danger you can encounter anywhere.
    You might also meet one on German motorway doing 200km/h.
    Wow... that's some speedy rabbit!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I wouldn't mind having a much higher limit on motorways, I find the 120 frustratingly slow on an empty road, sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

But I know one particular road which I know perfectly, I know what to expect on this road,

Ah no, no you don't.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind having a much higher limit on motorways, I find the 120 frustratingly slow on an empty road, sometimes
    In Germany they have electronic signs. We should have them here too. The limit decreases with traffic or weather conditions. On an empty M4 on a clear day there's nothing to suggest that a limit of 180kmh wouldn't be safe provided your car is in good shape.

• Advertisement

If you are talking about somewhere like the Curragh where its completely flat with grass leading into road and no hedges blind spots then fair enough; thats not a country road and as you say you will most likely spot most things a distance away (dont be sure of spotting everything; things like foxes are not as easy to spot in the distance as you might think).

This by any chance isnt a road that you posted a picture of before, is it? I seem to remember you talking about your speedway once before and posting a picture of road that had fences running alongside it. It didnt seem to be quite as safe as you are making it out to be, but maybe Im thinking of the wrong road/poster.
    Not as flat as Curragh (I don't know what is it, I only checked pictures on google), but there are some stretches where you can see same good as there. No obstacles, no hedges, just road and grass. Also it's in a hilly area, so on top of the hill you can see even further.

If something literally jumps under your wheels then yes, there is nothing that you can do about it (its a simple fact of driving on country roads). However more often that not it will be the case that you have some time to react, which is obviously where your speed comes into play. Any amount of speed is a calculated risk, but I would say that most road users could cope with the majority of situations at speeds up to 40-50mph. Id say its only the very tiny minority of drivers who would not end up in a serious accident if faced with the same situation at speeds of 90-100mph...
    General consensus is not to swerve to avoid animal, unless its something really big, or you are sure you will be able to control car after swerving.
    My experience with rabbits is that they appear and run totally randomly, and there's not much you can do any any speed above 20 to 30MPH.

You absolutely confident of that? Are you certain that at 100mph you would not lose control if you hit an unforeseen obstacle? I doubt even professional race drivers would say that with any real certainty...

About 12 years ago, I remember I was driving behind my friend. He was driving this:
    daewoo-tico-05.jpg
    We were doing about 140km/h. I was keeping about 2s distance behind him.

Suddenly rabbit run straight under my friends wheels. He didn't even notice the rabbit until he run him over. Even though the car was tiny, he trajectory wasn't changed, and his passnegers barely felt anything except from noise.
    Only drawback was that this rabbit somehow was thrown from under his rear wheels, and eventually it landed on my front grill/bonnet making a fair bit of damage.

Anyway - I'm pretty confident that even at high speeds rabbit is not going to cause a danger unless the driver undertakes some inappropriate manouvers to avoid it.

RustyNut wrote: »
    Ah no, no you don't.

What I don't?
    I don't know the road or I don't know what to expect there?
    As I do both.

Ok, so tell us exactly what you expect?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't know what to expect there?
    As I do both.

I actually don't think anyone could ever say that about any road.

You can't know what is going to happen at a given time and place.

What I don't?
    I don't know the road or I don't know what to expect there?
    As I do both.

no offence but that is something I would expect to hear from a 17 year old Glanza driver.

Stheno wrote: »
    I actually don't think anyone could ever say that about any road.

You can't know what is going to happen at a given time and place.

Surely UFO might land unexpectedly.
    But there is always some reasonable list of things you expect to happen, and you adjust your driving to accomodate case if those things happen.

TBH, I feel safer doing 160km/h on a road described, than doing 100km/h on normal national road with normal traffic and limit to 100km/h.
    As there is possibly way less possibilities for anything dangerous to happen in the first case, than second.
    Whatever you do, risk will always exist. We all take risk by driving.

Ok, so tell us exactly what you expect?

OK so here we go.
    I take a look at a stretch of the road.
    I see no cars and no people.
    I see few sheep far away from road which are not moving (eating grass).
    I bomb it down at 160km/h.
    As mentioned above - rabbit might run in front of me - I would do nothing and most likely woulnd't even hit it.
    Possibly something slightly bigger could run - fox. That could cause damage to my car.
    I could get a blowout - this would be difficult but far from impossible to control.
    There could be some other mechanical failure - ehh - **** happens - this could happen anywhere.

I can't think of any other dangers, but I'd be happy if you list few more for me, if you can think of any.

no offence but that is something I would expect to hear from a 17 year old Glanza driver.

No offence, but I can't see why I couldn't know the road which I drive several times a day, nearly everyday for the last 5 years.
    Also amount or risks on this road is very little, and I think I'm aware of all of them by now.

I can't think of any other dangers

Really?

[/QUOTE] but I'd be happy if you list few more for me, if you can think of any.[/QUOTE]

All the unexpected dangers

• Advertisement

I think I'm aware of all of them by now.

Really ?

Advertisement