Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about christmas in Ireland (admin update in post 89)

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Barlett wrote: »
    What you did was actually very interesting, and a different way of approaching things. I'd certainly use it for your project

I don't know how the OP ever thought he could use this. No offence, OP, but you must be a first year psych student who hasn't been taught ethics yet. You can't base a study on deception like that.

Even if he did use the work, I doubt he'd get a good mark because of the serious ethical violations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

But you should also take into account that 90% of the goodwill you received was on account of your character being a 22 year old Californian girl. :p

[sings]I wish they all could be California girls[/sings]

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

amyfitz91 wrote: »
    To anyone that I've upset or offended by my post:

I am truly sorry about this. I am a lazy student who should not have done this for research purposes. Because of the reaction and the people who replies who do not want to be included in a study I will put an end to this project and try to come up with another for my semester end.

Do we have any proof that this actually was an experiment for a college project and not just some lad having the craic, who wee'd the bed when the thing went viral?

If it was a college project experiment doesn't it seem very strange he would drop it so easily?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

I always felt there was something fishy about this story especially the title of the thread. Surely it should have been something like 'My dads coming home for Christmas'. The posts from the lazy student were too Americanized and didn't feel right. I didn't want too say anything because maybe I wanted it to be true. The worst thing of all is there was no bomb into the pool:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Why is this tread still in christmas?
    Choice of psychology or ah..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

To the OP......

The more lies you tell,then the harder it is to cover your tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭elaney

Why are the journal quoting me with someone elses post?:mad:. That was posted by Ibarelycare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Trojan wrote: »
    Admin

Yes. We identified the student, and he admitted to us both his identity and the nature of what he was doing.

Given the nature of the discussion here, I'd hope that folks believe that the admins are telling the truth here, otherwise this one will go round and round :)

Hi Trojan,
    Believing the admins is not the issue here, that is not what I was offering at all.
    I was wondering if perhaps the OP has further lied to you. Unless you have proof his IP was from a university, (BTW not asking you to prove anything) or some other kind of obvious evidence, it would seem to me that his story is questionable. I just think it is worth noting that his word may not be good enough.

I have never heard of such a project in a psychology programme - of course, there is a chance though that he has grossly misunderstood his assignment as it really is an ethical breach to extract information under false pretences.

Any psychology students here that can offer an opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Awww this makes me sad :(:o

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Do we have any proof that this actually was an experiment for a college project and not just some lad having the craic, who wee'd the bed when the thing went viral?

If it was a college project experiment doesn't it seem very strange he would drop it so easily?

I don't think it was for the craic, but it sounds more like a media project than a psychology one. He'd get in more trouble if it was the former. Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

Or maybe he/she is a PR person for 'The Gathering'! There is a certain journalistic/speech-writer style to his writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Rasmus wrote: »
    I don't think it was for the craic, but it sounds more like a media project than a psychology one. He'd get in more trouble if it was the former. Just my 2 cents.
    Yeah, it doesn't entirely add up. Surely the psychology 101 on valid experiments would have made it clear that this kind of thing was not OK and your project would be invalidated.

Some of the language seems odd too - lots of name-dropping of brands, brands which of course would be popular at Christmas.

And search for the two words "Christmas" and "Ireland" on google(dot ie), et voila this thread pops up.

Media sounds likely - an attempt to show how you can manipulate search rankings through online shilling. Actually, that's more in the e-Commerce vein, maybe he's a student doing some kind of business degree?

amyfitz91 wrote: »
    To anyone that I've upset or offended by my post:

I am truly sorry about this. I am a lazy student who should not have done this for research purposes. Because of the reaction and the people who replies who do not want to be included in a study I will put an end to this project and try to come up with another for my semester end. To Ari, I sincerely apologise for damaging the profession, this was not something I had thought about and is something I feel badly about. To anyone who has lost faith in the profession: they're not all lazy people like me who can't go about research in a correct way.

To the people who feel duped/ fooled/ lied to: this was never my intention and I did not pluck everything from thin air. I was told by a friend last Christmas about a very similar story. Also, for all those who feel sad that this didn't happen this year keep in mind that there are millions of Irish emigrants coming home for a while this Christmas.

To all the people who replied: My study was to show the extreme emotions bought on by 'Christmas Spirit' and the actions of those experiencing it. I have not seen so much positivity and goodwill around for a long time and your response just shows what that Christmas spirit does. I'm sorry if I ruined the spirit for anyone. I thought that I was inadvertently spreading some cheer while carrying out the study, obviously this is all gone but there was no malice in conducting the study.

To all those who asked for an apology earlier: I was drafting what to say. I have also been almost physically sick all evening about upsetting so many with the post and was also in contact with admin about it so it is only now that I have come to post an apology.

I don't know what more I can say. Just know that I couldn't be more sorry about how the whole situation has panned out. It's now back to the drawing board for me to find a new project and do it in time for December 20th. I am sorry, I admit I was wrong and I will not be posting on boards again I'm sure many of you will be pleased to hear.
    Crap. if this tread was for research, why carry in the persona in other treads?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

so what!

most of us would have posted the same reply even if the OP had been upfront and honest about his reasons, instead of making up a story to try to get people to react to it.

The moral of the story is this....do not post up things that you will get upset about later on. Everyone is responsible for their own posts - if you don't want to post something, don't. Your responsibility, nobody else's. And don't get upset when you find out that some posters are not honest. I can guarantee you there are plenty on here like the OP in this post. Nobody is silly enough to believe everybody is upfront and honest. Remember this when you are making your posts.

In saying that, I think the OP should feel a little guilty for what they did. They probably thought they were being smart, but it just shows them up as being dishonest, selfish, and having no regard for anyone but themselves. I really do hope they are not like this in real life - they won't get too far.

I posted a question about this in the psychology forum. I am awaiting the go-ahead from a poster to repost their thoughts on this issue.

EDIT: Here's a link instead.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056819804#

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I posted a question about this in the psychology forum. I am awaiting the go-ahead from a poster to repost their thoughts on this issue.

Why? This is the Christmas forum!! I'm surprised that this thread has been allowed go on in the way it has without being closed or moved.

Nothing Christmas-y about it today sadly :(

miamee wrote: »
    Why? This is the Christmas forum!! I'm surprised that this thread has been allowed go on in the way it has without being closed or moved.

Nothing Christmas-y about it today sadly :(

Well this thread hasn't been Christmassy since post 89. However, I will edit above post and just add a link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

:-/

People (I) have a right to know where they're (I'm) participating in any psychological research. There's usually a standard disclaimer about the gathering of personal information, how the data will be treated and contact details given for the supervisor(s) of whoever is carrying out the research, as well as contact details for the researcher themself.

Mods/Admins: This was not given. You say you know who the OP is and have verified that he/she is a psychology student here in Ireland. So post the details of the college the OP attends, along with sufficient information for his/her lecturers to identify the person in question, and let us make the complaints that we're entitled to make.

Or better, OP, post them yourself please. It might be a hard lesson to learn; but the rest of us get through our degrees without deception, lies, and gross ethical negligence.

so what!

most of us would have posted the same reply even if the OP had been upfront and honest about his reasons, instead of making up a story to try to get people to react to it.

The moral of the story is this....do not post up things that you will get upset about later on. Everyone is responsible for their own posts - if you don't want to post something, don't. Your responsibility, nobody else's. And don't get upset when you find out that some posters are not honest. I can guarantee you there are plenty on here like the OP in this post. Nobody is silly enough to believe everybody is upfront and honest. Remember this when you are making your posts.

In saying that, I think the OP should feel a little guilty for what they did. They probably thought they were being smart, but it just shows them up as being dishonest, selfish, and having no regard for anyone but themselves. I really do hope they are not like this in real life - they won't get too far.

Are you bipolar?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Maybe it is time to lock this thread now, it no longer fits in the spirit of things of the Christmas Forum. If anything it's leaving a bit of a bitter vibe around here, and this is no place to be angry and bitter, this is meant to be our happy place! ;)

• Advertisement

I think locking it before giving a contact for complaints is a bit premature.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Green Diesel

Absolute Buzz Killington.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have never heard of such a project in a psychology programme - of course, there is a chance though that he has grossly misunderstood his assignment as it really is an ethical breach to extract information under false pretences.

Any psychology students here that can offer an opinion?

No psychology study would ever involve deception like that.

In order for you to be involved in the study, you would have to provide informed consent, meaning you understood what the purpose of the study is and you understand the role you play in it.

From the British Psychological Society Code of Ethics (http://www.bps.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/code_of_ethics_and_conduct.pdf):
    1.3 Standard of informed consent
    Psychologists should:
    (i) Ensure that clients, particularly children and vulnerable
    adults, are given ample opportunity to understand the
    nature, purpose, and anticipated consequences of any
    professional services or research participation, so that they
    may give informed consent to the extent that their
    capabilities allow.
    (ii) Seek to obtain the informed consent of all clients to whom
    professional services or research participation are offered.
    (iii) Keep adequate records of when, how and from whom
    consent was obtained.
    (iv) Remain alert to the possibility that those people for whom
    professional services or research participation are
    contemplated may lack legal capacity for informed consent.

(xi) Withhold information from clients only in exceptional
    circumstances when necessary to preserve the integrity of
    research or the efficacy of professional services, or in the
    public interest and specifically consider any additional
    safeguards required for the preservation of client welfare.
    (xii)Avoid intentional deception of clients unless:
    (a) deception is necessary in exceptional circumstances to
    preserve the integrity of research or the efficacy of
    professional services;
    (b) any additional safeguards required for the preservation
    of client welfare are specifically considered; and
    (c) the nature of the deception is disclosed to clients at the
    earliest feasible opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well, I feel stupid.

I read this thread from start to fecking finish to my husband the night before last and actually said "wouldn't it be disappointing if it turned out to not be true" so I guess some part of me was cynical. But the stupid little Christmas Fairy part of me blocked the cynical part out.

I do not wish to be part of any psych OR media study thank you very much.

Faith wrote: »
    No psychology study would ever involve deception like that.

In order for you to be involved in the study, you would have to provide informed consent, meaning you understood what the purpose of the study is and you understand the role you play in it.

From the British Psychological Society Code of Ethics (http://www.bps.org.uk/sites/default/files/documents/code_of_ethics_and_conduct.pdf):

Thanks for posting. Similar things were mentioned in the psychology thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks for posting. Similar things were mentioned in the psychology thread.

:eek::eek::eek:

Oh you bunch of evil geniuses. This whole thing was set up by the psychology forum mods to increase traffic to the forum!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Mods/Admins: This was not given. You say you know who the OP is and have verified that he/she is a psychology student here in Ireland. So post the details of the college the OP attends, along with sufficient information for his/her lecturers to identify the person in question, and let us make the complaints that we're entitled to make.

For data protection reasons, we will not release contact details or identifying information about anyone who posts on boards.

Trojan wrote: »
    For data protection reasons, we will not release contact details or identifying information about anyone who posts on boards.

So I'm confused, you're happily allowing him to get away with it?

Or please tell me that boards.ie is making an official complaint to the department of psychology in the college involved on behalf of the posters of boards.ie ?

Or maybe the admins of boards.ie will act as a third party through which people can send complaints?

I can't see how you can allow nothing to happen. Yeah, the OP has data protection rights. SO DO I. All I want to do is make a complaint to whoever is responsible for him in whatever college.

This thread is no longer suitable for the Christmas forum. Temporarily locking it until we decide where to move it.

• Advertisement

So I'm confused, you're happily allowing him to get away with it?

We're not happily anything.

What we are not doing is knowingly breaking a legal requirement.
    Or please tell me that boards.ie is making an official complaint to the department of psychology in the college involved on behalf of the posters of boards.ie ?

Or maybe the admins of boards.ie will act as a third party through which people can send complaints?

Those are interesting ideas, we may well do something like that.
    I can't see how you can allow nothing to happen. Yeah, the OP has data protection rights. SO DO I.

You do have data protection rights. We wouldn't release your contact details or identifiable information either (even in the unlikely event that you fabricated a story that misled hundreds of people).
    All I want to do is make a complaint to whoever is responsible for him in whatever college.

We hear you. We're currently discussing the best way to handle this.

Apart from the legal issues, we also want to ensure that any actions we take are ethically sound, because it'd really be quite hypocritical of us if we didn't.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement