Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about christmas in Ireland (admin update in post 89)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

flanzer wrote: »
    Boards meet up in the airport tomorrow???

Yiz all left me standing in the airport on my own.... with my box of Kleenex.... YIZ WHOERS! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

ari101 wrote: »
    They are called ethics... find some if you wish to become a psychologist.

A psych ethics review board would have been required to pass anything like this. And then full disclosure would be required, not a half assed 'I didnt consider the consequences of my actions' apology. Any psych student who engages in thoughtless research which has an impact on others without sufficient preparation, ethical consideration, and due process, risks bringing the profession into disrepute. Think about that the next time you make the world your test subject... because any number of the readers and responders here may have just had their willingness to engage with and trust psychologists and psychological research undermined by you.

Ari
    Agreed... I tried to dig out the exact guidelines but couldn't find them in my emails. This could not be used for PhD research anyway. Possibly its for a bachelors but more likely its another lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is there proof that the OP is even a psychology student? That's seems a little odd to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

This is the fourth time I've seen someone posting a pack of complete lies on boards before getting caught out.
    I trust no-one any-more. :(

If it turns out that Frada isn't in fact a smug bastard , Gordon's real name isn't Gordon or Duggys Housemate actually lives alone I'm just closing my account.

*cries*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I am debating whether to remove my thanks from post 1?

naw. leave it.

Shame there isnt a "fcuk off" that we can place instead of a thankyou..:pac:

• Advertisement

Rasmus wrote: »
    Is there proof that the OP is even a psychology student? That's seems a little odd to me.

Patient more like...:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Agreed... I tried to dig out the exact guidelines but couldn't find them in my emails. This could not be used for PhD research anyway. Possibly its for a bachelors but more likely its another lie.

I'd be unwilling to believe from the response on discovery that this is sanctioned at any level. Contacts for complaints, details of the ethics review and supervisor info would need to be disclosed etc...

OP/Amyfitz is online now.

Got anything to say to us "Amy"?????????????

OP/Amyfitz banned and this thread removed from Boards?????????????

Id say yes to both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

paddy147 wrote: »
    OP/Amyfitz banned and this thread removed from Boards?????????????

Removed? This is one of the greatest threads ever on the site.

• Advertisement

Removed? This is one of the greatest threads ever on the site.

Alot of people got hoodwinked by it and alot of people have been seriously fooled by it too.

OP is online but doesnt have the balls to say sorry to everyone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Admin
    Rasmus wrote: »
    Is there proof that the OP is even a psychology student?

Yes. We identified the student, and he admitted to us both his identity and the nature of what he was doing.

Given the nature of the discussion here, I'd hope that folks believe that the admins are telling the truth here, otherwise this one will go round and round :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Scrooge in me cackled manically when I read the admin update :o

When I read it earlier, I did raise an eyebrow at how many trips to the mall the 'OP' embarked on.

Alot of people got hoodwinked by it and alot of people have been seriously fooled by it too.

Exactly. It's brilliant. It should also be locked and archived for posterity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

i'd say we'll survive. Most people are bemused, even amused at being fooled. You and Ari are the only ones taking it all that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

aww I was going to mug her at the airport for all those iPad minis!

Posy wrote: »
    This is the fourth time I've seen someone posting a pack of complete lies on boards before getting caught out.
    I trust no-one any-more. :(

This is the 12,743rd time I've seen someone posting a pack of complete lies on boards before getting caught out. But we always get them in the end.

We have a saying:
    Siteban them all, and let Gordon sort them out.

:)

i'd say we'll survive. Most people are bemused, even amused at being fooled. You and Ari are the only ones taking it all that seriously.
    I'm never amused by being told a pack of lies. To me, lies are never funny.

Skerries wrote: »
    aww I was going to mug her at the airport for all those iPad minis!
    :D

Its amazing that the OP can take all that time to post all that long winded shyte and tripe,yet he/she cant find the time to post the word SORRY.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

As Mr T says so well......"quit your jibber jabber"....."I pitty the fool"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Am I the only one who thinks the experiment is still going? I'd love to see any pms Amy has received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Trojan wrote: »
    Admin

Yes. We identified the student, and he admitted to us both his identity and the nature of what he was doing.

Given the nature of the discussion here, I'd hope that folks believe that the admins are telling the truth here, otherwise this one will go round and round :)

Giving that I was unwittingly part of this study I would like to contact the research supervisor of this study to make a formal complaint.

Just kidding... Happy Christmas "Amy"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'm just curious as to how ye spotted it as a windup?

(removed)

I wonder what the planned conclusion was to this. Would 'Amy' have posted up some stock photos from BT's or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Trojan wrote: »
    Admin

People might feel better if the op was sent to spend some time with Gordon in the prison forum. It's a guilty pleasure of mine watching him play with the inmates, he's so dedicated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Posy wrote: »
    I'm never amused by being told a pack of lies. To me, lies are never funny.

Cripes....

I dont actually live with duggy and never did

*runs away in shame*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

My only issue lies in the protection of a profession that suffers enough difficulty with public perception. The OPs defence is that it is a psych project and I think that it's important that anything that potentially damages a profession's reputation be carefully managed. I would only like people to consider the wider effect of their actions.

Me I'm all for fluffy stories even exaggerated ones and I love a good fantasy scifi novel so I'm all for suspension of disbelief ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

amyfitz91 wrote: »
    Well it's morning time here in Cali and I am running round my house with total excitement! Dad has just returned home from a night shift and mom is helping him pack. My sister and I are popping out to the mall in a bit to buy yet more makeup for my Irish cousins. We also have four iPad minis to pick up, all requested by my aunts and uncles as gifts for my cousins! It's crazy to think I'll be seeing them all tomorrow. Once I get home from the mall we'll be leaving for the airport where we'll fly to London, then to Dublin where we'll be greeted by my very excited grandparents. Granny texted me this morning (it's ridiculous how tech savvy you get when your son lives half way across the world) to tell me that she was getting all my dads favourite foods in and will be baking the things she always baked on Toyshow night! I think she's almost more excited than we are.
    So! I guess this is my last update before I arrive back in Ireland. I'll try to post as soon as I can once I arrive in Ireland and her jetlag has worn of a little! I hope you guys are beginning to get in the Christmas spirit. I know I am!

Amy

Wonder if this was the giveaway?

Sloppy error that really

Cripes....

I dont actually live with duggy and never did

*runs away in shame*
    There, now don't you feel better for telling the truth!? :D

pithater1 wrote: »
    Wonder if this was the giveaway?

Sloppy error that really
    That's what is called a Freudian slip, OP. Do you do any psychoanalysis or just study psychology/bullshítting people?

(that forum is also a guilty pleasure of mine, Calhoun) :o

amyfitz91 wrote: »
    Admin update here.
    Hi Guys,

My name is Amy and I live San Francisco California. My Dad is Irish, he came over here to work in the 80's where he met my Mom and they've had me (22) and my little sister (17).

My Dad is from the west of Ireland and we've been back there almost every year. Some of my first memories are in Ireland. I absolutely adore Ireland and although it's my Dad's home and not mine I always feel at home here.

My poor father always gets terribly homesick at Christmas, even though he's been here for almost thirty years. He loves Christmas here in Cali but says there is nothing like an Irish Christmas back home in Mayo. He always tells us stories of meeting up with his extended family on Christmas Eve and then a huge Christmas dinner with his immediate family on Christmas Day. He also raves about midnight mass, the late late toy show and the lovely feeling around his town in the lead up to Christmas. He hasn't been home for Christmas since he left. So, this year, my sister and I are both in college and have a six week Christmas break for the holidays. My Dad is now a surgeon and always takes anytime he we have off over the holidays off and my Mom stays at home.

So, our family have decided to bring Dad home for the holidays. We're going to leave here on Nov 27th and return to Cali on Jan 2nd. The only thing is, he doesn't know about it. We will be telling him this weekend. His parents who are both still alive and brothers and sisters all know and are so so happy. My aunt told me that we'd even be home for the late late toy show which has made me so happy. This way we can let dad do all the things he did back when he was 21 the year before he left Ireland in the lead up to Christmas. He can go shopping to Dublin for a day like he used to and get in the festive mood and then enjoy the big days over the holidays. I am so excited to do this for him because he has done so much for all of us.

So I have some questions. What is Ireland like over the holidays? Is the country as crazy about Christmas as the US is? Dad is from Mayo so what are the chances of us having a white Christmas? He's the only one in our family who's ever had one? What is Dublin like over the holidays? We'll be bringing Dad there for a night or two.

Also, if any of you have any suggestions of things to do over the holidays in Ireland with Dad please let us know? I cannot contain my excitement!

Thank You,
    Amy

What an absolute load of HORSE SHYTE

OP/Amy...grow a set of balls and say SORRY

Let's not speculate as to how they might have been identified, so as not to tip off others who might try something similar :)

• Advertisement

What an absolute load of HORSE SHYTE

OP/Amy...grow a set of balls and say SORRY

Relax, man. It's just a hoax.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement