Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell me about christmas in Ireland (admin update in post 89)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Relax, man. It's just a hoax.

OP cant even grow the balls to say sorry to everyone,even though they have been online a few times yesterday/today.

Ban the fcuker then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

paddy147 wrote: »

OP cant even grow the balls to say sorry to everyone,even though they have been online a few times yesterday/today.

Ban the fcuker then.

You're taking this well so :P

lockie1983 wrote: »
    You're taking this well so :P

I know.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Admin

To clarify, the admins asked the OP to write a message that we would post here after "outing" him, and at that time this thread was locked and not open for anyone to post on.

Apart from a leading message which was an apology to the admins, Khannie included that message verbatim. Here's the apology - see post #89 for the full quote.
    amyfitz91 wrote:
    Dear Everyone,
    [...]I did not intend to hurt or upset anyone and was not expecting such an unprecedented response. So to all you lovely people, I am extremely sorry.

It's up to the OP whether he wants to post up a further apology here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Ban the fcuker then.

Chill out dude.

• Advertisement

Trojan wrote: »
    Admin

To clarify, the admins asked the OP to write a message that we would post here after "outing" him. Apart from a leading message which was an apology to the admins, Khannie included that message verbatim. Here's the apology - see post #89 for the full quote.

IMO...thats the least he should do.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

What an absolute load of HORSE SHYTE

OP/Amy...grow a set of balls and say SORRY

Ban the fcuker then.

Deep breaths Paddy, deep breaths.

It's a hoax on the internet and sure, there are some people that are going to feel a bit silly about being taken in by it. But it's not the first internet hoax and it certainly won't be the last. At the end of the day the perpetrator was outed, nobody was hurt and we all live to enjoy a nice Christmas dinner in a few weeks time when we can think back to tonight and enjoy a laugh at the OP's expense. If getting duped on an internet forum is the biggest issue I have this Christmas I'll happily settle for that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Admin

To clarify, the admins asked the OP to write a message that we would post here after "outing" him, and at that time this thread was locked and not open for anyone to post on.

Just out of interest will the OP be receiving a ban for setting up a fake account?

Just out of interest will the OP be receiving a ban for setting up a fake account?

+1

OP is online right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Watch it Paddy, maybe the psychology experiment is to test how people react to minor first world disappointments like this.

Someone has lied on the internet!!! Oh Noes!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Trojan wrote:
    ; Today at 00:51. Reason: Remove mention of what we checked to determine veracity :)

Thought as much :)

Whats a "real" account?

Zaph wrote: »
    Deep breaths Paddy, deep breaths.

It's a hoax on the internet and sure, there are some people that are going to feel a bit silly about being taken in by it. But it's not the first internet hoax and it certainly won't be the last. At the end of the day the perpetrator was outed, nobody was hurt and we all live to enjoy a nice Christmas dinner in a few weeks time when we can think back to tonight and enjoy a laugh at the OP's expense. If getting duped on an internet forum is the biggest issue I have this Christmas I'll happily settle for that.

But I feel so used (just like Santa did,with his balls being shocked).

I had all my lovely flags and banners made out and ready to go,to wellcome them all home at the Airport.

And what the hell am I going to do now with the reindeer that I stole from the zoo and the sleigh that I robbed from the front window of Brown Thomas???

I just feel so used and betrayed now.

If they had set up a fake account to promote a commercial activity they'd be banned for shilling, but at the moment I don't see any real reason to ban them. It's not as if they have any real credibility remaining here anyway.

Interestingly I wonder if gauging the reaction following the 'outing' is actually part of the OP's experiment.

In a way that would make for an interesting study in its own right.

We'll have an admin discussion and decide what to do. We need to consider what the OP did, and whether they actually broke site-wide and/or local forum rules.

He lied and mislead people to a great extreme, which wasn't nice at all. But it's something we need to carefully evaluate as it's a potentially slippy slope. If we banned every boards user that told any kind of lie with their account, we'd probably have 5% of the membership left unbanned.

If they had set up a fake account to promote a commercial activity they'd be banned for shilling, but at the moment I don't see any real reason to ban them. It's not as if they have any real credibility remaining here anyway.

Makes sense! Thanks for the reply! :)

But I feel so used (just like Santa did,with his balls being shocked).

I had all my lovely flags and banners made out and ready to go,to wellcome them all home at the Airport.

I just feel so used and betrayed now.

I completely understand. How about you head out to the airport over the weekend anyway and mess with some randomer by making a huge fuss over them as they come through arrivals? And actually if you could video their reaction and post it here it would be great. :D

We'll have an admin discussion and decide what to do. We need to consider what the OP did, and whether they actually broke site-wide and/or local forum rules.

He lied and mislead people to a great extreme, which wasn't nice at all. But it's something we need to carefully evaluate as it's a potentially slippy slope. If we banned every boards user that told any kind of lie with their account, we'd probably have 5% of the membership left unbanned.

Well just in case things get heated, and the rules more stringent, Ive asked Duggy to move in. Just keep that in mind.

I completely understand. How about you head out to the airport over the weekend anyway and mess with some randomer by making a huge fuss over them as they come through arrivals? And actually if you could video their reaction and post it here it would be great. :D

Amy,is that you?

Jaysus it is you Amy,ah wellcome home luv.

Well your looking might fine since I last saw you.

I see that youve managed to get rid of most of the facial hair now,so the cream must be working now,yeah??

Oh and dont worry,we sure do have McDonalds and KFC in this country,so you wont go hungry.

:pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 amyfitz91

To anyone that I've upset or offended by my post:

I am truly sorry about this. I am a lazy student who should not have done this for research purposes. Because of the reaction and the people who replies who do not want to be included in a study I will put an end to this project and try to come up with another for my semester end. To Ari, I sincerely apologise for damaging the profession, this was not something I had thought about and is something I feel badly about. To anyone who has lost faith in the profession: they're not all lazy people like me who can't go about research in a correct way.

To the people who feel duped/ fooled/ lied to: this was never my intention and I did not pluck everything from thin air. I was told by a friend last Christmas about a very similar story. Also, for all those who feel sad that this didn't happen this year keep in mind that there are millions of Irish emigrants coming home for a while this Christmas.

To all the people who replied: My study was to show the extreme emotions bought on by 'Christmas Spirit' and the actions of those experiencing it. I have not seen so much positivity and goodwill around for a long time and your response just shows what that Christmas spirit does. I'm sorry if I ruined the spirit for anyone. I thought that I was inadvertently spreading some cheer while carrying out the study, obviously this is all gone but there was no malice in conducting the study.

To all those who asked for an apology earlier: I was drafting what to say. I have also been almost physically sick all evening about upsetting so many with the post and was also in contact with admin about it so it is only now that I have come to post an apology.

I don't know what more I can say. Just know that I couldn't be more sorry about how the whole situation has panned out. It's now back to the drawing board for me to find a new project and do it in time for December 20th. I am sorry, I admit I was wrong and I will not be posting on boards again I'm sure many of you will be pleased to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

OP is online right now.

Burn the witch.

amyfitz91 wrote: »

I am truly sorry about this. I am a lazy student who should not have done this for research purposes. Because of the reaction and the people who replies who do not want to be included in a study I will put an end to this project and try to come up with another for my semester end. To Ari, I sincerely apologise for damaging the profession, this was not something I had thought about and is something I feel badly about. To anyone who has lost faith in the profession: they're not all lazy people like me who can't go about research in a correct way.

To the people who feel duped/ fooled/ lied to: this was never my intention and I did not pluck everything from thin air. I was told by a friend last Christmas about a very similar story. Also, for all those who feel sad that this didn't happen this year keep in mind that there are millions of Irish emigrants coming home for a while this Christmas.

To all the people who replied: My study was to show the extreme emotions bought on by 'Christmas Spirit' and the actions of those experiencing it. I have not seen so much positivity and goodwill around for a long time and your response just shows what that Christmas spirit does. I'm sorry if I ruined the spirit for anyone. I thought that I was inadvertently spreading some cheer while carrying out the study, obviously this is all gone but there was no malice in conducting the study.

To all those who asked for an apology earlier: I was drafting what to say. I have also been almost physically sick all evening about upsetting so many with the post and was also in contact with admin about it so it is only now that I have come to post an apology.

I don't know what more I can say. Just know that I couldn't be more sorry about how the whole situation has panned out. It's now back to the drawing board for me to find a new project and do it in time for December 20th. I am sorry, I admit I was wrong and I will not be posting on boards again I'm sure many of you will be pleased to hear.

1st 2 truthfull words right there.

Why not pretend to be Osama Bin Laden and that you are still alive and actually locked up in Quantanamo Bay.Tell the people that you are trying to get a plane ride back home to your family in time for Christmass

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

amyfitz91 wrote: »

FWIW I think it was a pretty good idea, just executed a little bit poorly.

There's definitely something salvageable for your project.

I for one don't feel all that let down by the story not being true. It doesn't take away from the genuine heartfelt responses you got here, or the 'Christmas Spirit' you were trying to evoke. It shows what a good positive place this site can be.

But you should also take into account that 90% of the goodwill you received was on account of your character being a 22 year old Californian girl. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

OP don't feel so guilty, it was just a made up Christmas Story posted on an Internet forum. If people are getting upset about that, they really need to think about avoiding all forms if media .

I read it earlier this month, thought it was a great story but you finding out it isn't true hasn't ruined Christmas or anything so don't worry.

What you did was actually very interesting, and a different way of approaching things. I'd certainly use it for your project especially since media sites that allow people to comment and Internet forums in general tend to be populated by posts that are more negative than positive.

I'd second the 2 posts above. It would be a bit of a waste abandoning it now with so much work done.

As an aside, a bit of comment on the negative reaction since you were outed might be worthwhile for your project's sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

pithater1 wrote: »
    I'd second the 2 posts above. It would be a bit of a waste abandoning it now with so much work done.

I thought it was very clever too. The OPs stunt is akin to Naked Camera's Jake Stevens being caught out rapid for being a very clever PJ Gallagher.

It's not as if he shot and skinned my 2 adorable buddies below:

DogChristmas4x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

OP: If you remove the deception element (should only be used in extremely controlled situations with serious ethical oversight) and get some ethical guidance then off with you... if you have a good hypothesis I'm sure you can design an experimental or questionaire basis to further research on what Xmas spirit still exists in a 2012 Ireland without need for becoming alter ego Amy. Best of luck! :-)

ari101 wrote: »
    OP: If you remove the deception element (should only be used in extremely controlled situations with serious ethical oversight) and get some ethical guidance then off with you... if you have a good hypothesis I'm sure you can design an experimental or questionaire basis to further research on what Xmas spirit still exists in a 2012 Ireland without need for becoming alter ego Amy. Best of luck! :-)

A dissection of the ethical problems of the original experiment might be both an interesting study and a cautionary tale for his classmates (and lecturers in their care in assigning these projects).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loving the crocodile tears. "Sorry", my left one.

You're sorry you got discovered just as it was on the verge of going viral, nothing more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement