Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I have a really really milky coffee please

Options
  • 05-11-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭

http://presscentre.debenhams.com/Press-Releases/Say-goodbye-to-cappuccino-confusion-Debenhams-launches-plain-English-coffee-menu-1b4.aspx

No longer will coffee-lovers be in a muddle over mocha, caught out by cappuccino or embarrassed about espresso thanks to a plain English coffee menu launched by Debenhams today (29 October 2012).

Caffe latte is described as ‘really really milky coffee’, Cappuccino as ‘frothy coffee’ and Caffe mocha as ‘chocolate flavoured coffee’. Black coffee is ‘simple coffee, with or without milk’ with espresso shot labelled as ‘a shot of strong coffee’.

Rather than offering confusing ‘tall’ (meaning small) ‘grande’ (meaning large) or ‘venti’ (meaning extra large) coffee sizes as found in other shops, the high street retailer has also scrapped different size options, instead offering thirsty shoppers simply a ‘cup’ or a ‘mug’ of their favourite drink

This really makes me want to punch someone.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Dack Janiels

Keep lining up for coffee and rabbit punching the person in front of you when they order. When the security turns up order a really milky coffee and throw it at them. Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I'll have one really really milky coffee to go please

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I think its a good idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

This is how I picture the OP ordering coffee....

"I'll have a double choca mocha half caf soya latte please and a babychino for little Fiachra."

summerskin wrote: »

"I'll have a double choca mocha half caf soya latte please and a babychino for little Fiachra."

Yeah exactly, and then he hops up on Fiachra's shoulders and starts dancing around like a robot while his sons toddler legs wobble under the strain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I suspect that any coffee shop that would use this stupid naming system wouldn't be serving coffee worth drinking anyway.

Although the 'venti' nonsense is no bad thing to get rid of. Although having said that I've only every seen it in Starbucks - and we all know their coffee is swill-like at the best of times.

COFFEE SNOB! OH YEAH! I'm a coffee snob! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

thats the way it was when i worked in bewleys, then the celtic tiger happened and everyone thought they were coffee afectionados

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Starbucks - and we all know their coffee is swill-like at the best of times.

No not really, it's just seen as cool to criticise it. Sheep!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

sounds like a good idea, I think our interpretations of those Italian words are way off anyway. My Aunt asked for latte in Rome one time, and they gave her a glass of cold milk. So we should really just use English words ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

thats the way it was when i worked in bewleys, then the celtic tiger happened and everyone thought they were coffee afectionados

More boomtime amrericanism wankology being removed from daily life.
    Sounds good to me.
    You want coffee; you say: "Coffee"
    Almost too sensible to work in the Ireland of today, but I live in hope.

I want to punch people who understand Starbucks' ridiculous ordering system, and even moreso those who defend it.

• Advertisement

No not really, it's just seen as cool to criticise it. Sheep!

No it really is. It's bland as bland can be. I've had it in several countries and it's always the same (which is why it's a success I suppose).

It's also vastly overpriced. There's far better coffee to be had in Dublin at a much cheaper rate.

I have little truck for what's supposed to be cool or not to criticise. I criticise Starbucks coffee because I've tasted it and I don't like it.

Throwing 'sheep' around as an insult is a lazy, unimaginative way to criticise someone. It's so overused it's become a laughable cliche at this stage and I would go so far as to say someone who has to resort to using it is behaving in a sheeplike manner themselves. Oh the irony, it's delicious (unlike Starbucks coffee which isn't).

DavyD_83 wrote: »

I want to punch people who understand Starbucks' ridiculous ordering system, and even moreso those who defend it.

You want to punch people who can understand that Venti Grande and Tall replace large medium and small? It's bent, but it's not that hard to understand. Shalom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

That's what's great about here. You ask for a coffee with milk, cold, warm or hot and no option of full fat or low fat never mind soya and the rest of them. You can have coffee without milk or you can have coffee with a small amount of coffee and more milk. Nice and simple and the coffee is always delicious. Those pretentious Italian names are idiotic in somewhere like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My sisters pregnant. I told her if she called the kid fiachra, sorcha or uachtar reoite, she'd get disowned.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No it really is. It's bland as bland can be. I've had it in several countries and it's always the same (which is why it's a success I suppose).

It's also vastly overpriced. There's far better coffee to be had in Dublin at a much cheaper rate.

I have little truck for what's supposed to be cool or not to criticise. I criticise Starbucks coffee because I've tasted it and I don't like it.

Throwing 'sheep' around as an insult is a lazy, unimaginative way to criticise someone. It's so overused it's become a laughable cliche at this stage and I would go so far as to say someone who has to resort to using it is behaving in a sheeplike manner themselves. Oh the irony, it's delicious (unlike Starbucks coffee which isn't).

Clears throat: You're a sheep! You're on about being overpriced, I took issue with you calling it swill because it's the cool thing to do. It's not the best coffee, but it's not swill. Such hyperbole is in the purview of the "it's cool and alternative to criticise starbucks" crowd. Sheep!

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

All this new-fangled coffee terminology has intimidated me.

I've only recently got the hang of ordering a 'skinny Mocha' (which is, I understand, a really sugary chocolately thing made with low fat milk...so not really 'skinny' at all).

But last week I thought I'd be good and avoid the chocolate - so I asked for 'a skinny Americano'.:o They had to explain to me that the only liquid in an Americano is water.

I think Debenhams are on to a good thing...

Clears throat: You're a sheep! You're on about being overpriced, I took issue with you calling it swill because it's the cool thing to do. It's not the best coffee, but it's not swill. Such hyperbole is in the purview of the "it's cool and alternative to criticise starbucks" crowd. Sheep!

Wow you love your Starbucks and your unimaginative insults don't you? You have no notion of why I'm doing or saying anything but y'know carry on thinking you do.

I also think Insomnia serve up horrible coffee too. Am I a sheep for not liking them either?

Also Jack Daniels is muck whiskey too. :pac:

Hmmm...the cafe latte has been around since the 17th century. It's hardly newfangled!

Grayson wrote: »
    My sisters pregnant. I told her if she called the kid fiachra, sorcha or uachtar reoite, she'd get disowned.

Did you tell her that over a Grande Mochaccino while admiring your sailor tats?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I prefer this to the pretentious starbucks "mocha", "cappuccino", "machiato" whatever nonsense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Oh please tell me her surname is Roche? She could sneakily stick uachtar as a middle name and advise the kid to go by it. Then pretend that Roche is actually an Italian surname and is pronounced Row-sha...

Uacthar Roche, the ice cream kid! Half Italian / half Irish, all fashionable nonsense :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

feck the naming system.
    even in Starbucks, I ask for a large black coffee.

I prefer this to the pretentious starbucks "mocha", "cappuccino", "machiato" whatever nonsense!

Starbucks didn't invent those names.

feck the naming system.
    even in Starbucks, I ask for a large black coffee.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/508/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png

I've only recently got the hang of ordering a 'skinny Mocha' (which is, I understand, a really sugary chocolately thing made with low fat milk...so not really 'skinny' at all).

But last week I thought I'd be good and avoid the chocolate - so I asked for 'a skinny Americano'.:o They had to explain to me that the only liquid in an Americano is water.

I think Debenhams are on to a good thing...

To help.

Expresso: that thick strong coffee that italians drink in those little cups.
    Latte: Hot cup of milk with shot of expresso.
    Americano: Hot cup of water with shot of expresso
    Cappuchino: Same as a latte except they froth up the milk so much there's about half the milk taking up the same space.
    Mocha: (also called a mocha latte) Latte with big dollop of chocolate.

btw, all starbucks drinks are made with low fat milk. If you ask for skinny, you get zero fat milk.

See, there's not actually that much. And when you consider the amount of varients of wine and beer (got help us if a barman doesn't pour a Guinness correctly) it's actually very little.

Did you tell her that over a Grande Mochaccino while admiring your sailor tats?

Actually it was a mocha for me and hot chocolate for her (No coffee whilst pregnant) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

To help.

Expresso: that thick strong coffee that italians drink in those little cups.
    Latte: Hot cup of milk with shot of expresso.
    Americano: Hot cup of water with shot of expresso
    Cappuchino: Same as a latte except they froth up the milk so much there's about half the milk taking up the same space.
    Mocha: (also called a mocha latte) Latte with big dollop of chocolate.

btw, all starbucks drinks are made with low fat milk. If you ask for skinny, you get zero fat milk.

See, there's not actually that much. And when you consider the amount of varients of wine and beer (got help us if a barman doesn't pour a Guinness correctly) it's actually very little.
    http://xkcd.com/915/

That's just the names of the different ways it's served..... whatever you do don't wander in here! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

<snip> Black coffee is ‘simple coffee, with or without milk’ </snip>

This really makes me want to punch someone.

When I first started working over here in the UK I was based in one of our smaller offices where everybody takes turns making the coffee. The division I worked in did a lot of security consultancy work, so was involved in a lot of local and central government work which meant all the politics and PC that goes with it.

One day it was my turn to make the coffee so I wander up to one of the consultants and ask if he would like some tea or coffee....

<con> Yea, could I have a coffee please.
    <Me> Sure, would you like it black or white?
    <con> I'll have it without.
    <Me> (a bit dim as it was first thing in the morning) Without what?
    <con> Without milk
    <Me> Ah, so you want a black coffee?
    <con> Yes, I want a coffee without
    <Me> So you want a black coffee!
    <con> (shuffles feet) We were told down the Home Office it's not politically correct to say it that way
    <Me> I see (and wanders off)

It must be a minefield working in those offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

They were affectionate towards coffee?

Advertisement