Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I have a really really milky coffee please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

You want to punch people who can understand that Venti Grande and Tall replace large medium and small? It's bent, but it's not that hard to understand. Shalom

To be honest, yes. Only way to get to understand it is to become part of the problem really.
    But it's more the mocha frappachino, skinny latte crowd that really get on my nerves.
    And I'd probably be ok with elaborate ordering systems if they were only added to normal list of orders. So that I could still order a 'coffee' and get what i wanted.
    Instead if you have the gall to order a 'coffee' you are treated like you are the moron in the conversation.
    And no, it is like somebody walking into a shop and saying "cigarettes please", or a bar and asking for "beer" (although most bars will just give you something). Most cafés aren't offering forty brands of coffee, they just prepare it in 6squillion different ways so that people can think they are more sophisticated than the average coffee drinker.

I hadn't realised how much this actually annoyed me until i started typing.
    More big/jargon words aren't always more descriptive and accurate.
    Arg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Can we have a thread about tea, at least I'd understand that thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Senna wrote: »
    Can we have a thread about tea, at least I'd understand that thread.

Chai, peppermint, earl grey, nettle, peppermint or green?

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Dack Janiels

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Wow you love your Starbucks and your unimaginative insults don't you? You have no notion of why I'm doing or saying anything but y'know carry on thinking you do.

I also think Insomnia serve up horrible coffee too. Am I a sheep for not liking them either?

Also Jack Daniels is muck whiskey too. :pac:

What's your big hang up with unimaginative comments? I'm not writing a literary review here, I'm telling you that you're a sheep. There's no imagination required, it's all based on your pseudo-alternative attempting to be cool comments. Sheep!

Also Jack Daniels is muck, but that's the whole point. Sheep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

What's your big hang up with unimaginative comments? I'm not writing a literary review here, I'm telling you that you're a sheep. There's no imagination required, it's all based on your pseudo-alternative attempting to be cool comments. Sheep!

You're going to get on so well on boards.ie :pac:

Like a lamb to the slaughter I'd imagine!

• Advertisement

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    To be honest, yes. Only way to get to understand it is to become part of the problem really.
    But it's more the mocha frappachino, skinny latte crowd that really get on my nerves.
    And I'd probably be ok with elaborate ordering systems if they were only added to normal list of orders. So that I could still order a 'coffee' and get what i wanted.
    Instead if you have the gall to order a 'coffee' you are treated like you are the moron in the conversation.
    And no, it is like somebody walking into a shop and saying "cigarettes please", or a bar and asking for "beer" (although most bars will just give you something). Most cafés aren't offering forty brands of coffee, they just prepare it in 6squillion different ways so that people can think they are more sophisticated than the average coffee drinker.

I hadn't realised how much this actually annoyed me until i started typing.
    More big/jargon words aren't always more descriptive and accurate.
    Arg

The reality is that most people never use the Venti/Grande thing, they just say large or whatever. Also, Costa coffee have a wacky Massimo and Diminutive title for their small and large etc so to blame Starbucks for it is a bit unfair.

There's two groups of coffee people: coffee heroes and coffee pretenders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Grayson wrote: »

*lol

I never understood why Ireland was selling coffee with US names in the first place.

So this, I think, is a rather brilliant little excercise in honesty. I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    sounds like a good idea, I think our interpretations of those Italian words are way off anyway. My Aunt asked for latte in Rome one time, and they gave her a glass of cold milk. So we should really just use English words ffs.

Your aunt's interpretation is certainly way off. Latte is milk. If she wanted coffee why did she ask for milk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Chai, peppermint, earl grey, nettle, peppermint or green?

Rooibos, clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

To help.

Expresso: that thick strong coffee that italians drink in those little cups.
    Latte: Hot cup of milk with shot of expresso.
    Americano: Hot cup of water with shot of expresso
    Cappuchino: Same as a latte except they froth up the milk so much there's about half the milk taking up the same space.
    Mocha: (also called a mocha latte) Latte with big dollop of chocolate.

What's the name for a plain coffee?

• Advertisement

You just order it the way the bad guy does in the diner in A History of Violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

...Coffee...:confused:

I would have thought the fancy names for the sizes could easily be discerned by price. I wouldnt order a venti and expect a thimble sized cup

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Probably 'Americano'.

I don't see the point of changing the names of the drinks themselves, except for maybe putting the description on the menu so people can refer to it if needed. I'd welcome the 'normalisation' of the sizes though. When did 'small', 'medium' and 'large' become insufficient? I feel like a right knob asking for a grande tea, especially when they give them counter-intuitive names; like calling the small 'tall'. I'd prefer to ask for a Large, or a Mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

To help.

Expresso: that thick strong coffee that italians drink in those little cups.
    Latte: Hot cup of milk with shot of expresso.
    Americano: Hot cup of water with shot of expresso
    Cappuchino: Same as a latte except they froth up the milk so much there's about half the milk taking up the same space.
    Mocha: (also called a mocha latte) Latte with big dollop of chocolate.

btw, all starbucks drinks are made with low fat milk. If you ask for skinny, you get zero fat milk.

Ahh nothing nicer than a good ole EXpresso when you are in a hurry. Much better than DHL.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

My sisters pregnant. I told her if she called the kid fiachra, sorcha or uachtar reoite, she'd get disowned.

:eek::eek::eek:

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I think its a good idea

Ditto that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

FFS

Options - black coffee, white coffee, milky coffee or frothy coffee.

Size options - in a cup, mug, big cup or big mug.

FFS

Options - black coffee, white coffee, milky coffee or frothy coffee.

Size options - in a cup, mug, big cup or big mug.

Wow, you are so no nonsense and edgy. You just cut right through the bull that catches everybody else up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Wow, you are so no nonsense and edgy. You just cut right through the bull that catches everybody else up.

I may just need a caffeine fix ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Franticfrank

I think a lot of the coffee connoisseurs love the confusing Italian names and will avoid Debenhams because 'its suddenly gotten boring'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Stupid Idea....

Instead of providing a description of the drink next to the proper name, you're making people use more words to order a drink.
    So my morning order of a "Large White Americano with an extra shot" becomes a "Large cup of 4 shots of strong coffee watered down with milk"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Black coffee is ‘simple coffee, with or without milk’ with espresso shot labelled as ‘a shot of strong coffee’.

Um no, black coffee is not with or without milk, if t's black then there is no milk :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

In starbucks you can just get a normal cup of filter coffee, doesn't need to be one made of espressos.

Actually, will a black coffee in debenhams be a filter, or americano?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

God be with the days a coffee was just....a coffee!

None of this mochachocasprinklenutmegfrothysyrupgrandelattee drink. Just......

A coffee, milk&sugar is on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I don't get your reasoning.

You call people who don't like Starbucks sheep.

You want everyone to agree with you that it is indeed nice. Would that not make them sheep?

I hate Starbucks, it's expensive and the coffee is not the nicest.

I don't give a crap if someone thinks I'm only saying that to sound "cool"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Caffe latte is described as ‘really really milky coffee’,

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I don't get your reasoning.

You call people who don't like Starbucks sheep.

You want everyone to agree with you that it is indeed nice. Would that not make them sheep?

I hate Starbucks, it's expensive and the coffee is not the nicest.

I don't give a crap if someone thinks I'm only saying that to sound "cool"

I ain't saying it's the nicest, but it sure as hell isn't swill. It's an easy target that people bash to seem cool and alternative, but that's just bollocks because the coffee, while not awesome, is decent, know what I'm sayin baby, whassup? I bet 99% of people who call it swill would be waxing lyrical about it if they were served the very same cup of coffee in an alternative coffee joint called fuking Nietzsche's or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Back when I was a student I was doing a job interview in a newly-opening cafe/restaurant, and the guy asked me "do you know how to make coffees?". I automatically answered 'yes', but half a second later realised he was surely asking me about this whole latte, mocha, business.

I got the job, and was actually given the task of training the other staff on how to use the coffee machine. Thank God the owner left a chart of how much of what goes into each drink, it was just enough for me to bluff my way through with 10 people looking at me.

In reply to the thread, it's probably a good idea, or not, who the hell cares what they call it, it's only coffee, not a holocaust memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I ain't saying it's the nicest, but it sure as hell isn't swill. It's an easy target that people bash to seem cool and alternative, but that's just bollocks because the coffee, while not awesome, is decent, know what I'm sayin baby, whassup? I bet 99% of people who call it swill would be waxing lyrical about it if they were served the very same cup of coffee in an alternative coffee joint called fuking Nietzsche's or something.

Or it's an easy target as you can get better coffee for cheaper in plenty of other places?

It's bollocks that you think if someone doesn't agree with you they are trying to be cool and alternative.

You are coming across as someone who works in a certain coffee shop tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

I love coffee, but that said, i find it really pompous when people use terms like tall/grande/venti (usually uttered by scarf wearing man-baggers).

Advertisement