Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can I have a really really milky coffee please

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Yeah the tall, grande etc bollix is not for me.

But I'm ok with Americano, Latte and Cappuchino.

Edit: oh and I forgot espresso, cool with that too.

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Dack Janiels

Or it's an easy target as you can get better coffee for cheaper in plenty of other places?

It's bollocks that you think if someone doesn't agree with you they are trying to be cool and alternative.

You are coming across as someone who works in a certain coffee shop tbh!

You're talking 'bout something I ain't talkin 'bout son. I'm sayin' it ain't swill, it's not the best, but it's not due the degree of criticism it gets, those who use hyperbolic phrases like swill or rubbish in reference to Starbucks coffee are coming down on it harder than they would other coffees because it's held up as a model of a particular set which they wish to place themselves above or they wish to mock in some condescending way. They ain't critiquing Costa coffee as vociferously even though it's no better and actually costs about 10 cent more for most basic drinks, Americanos and Espressos etc. Present what I'm sayin' how you want baby, but I ain't arguing what you be stressin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

I ain't saying it's the nicest, but it sure as hell isn't swill. It's an easy target that people bash to seem cool and alternative, but that's just bollocks because the coffee, while not awesome, is decent, know what I'm sayin baby, whassup? I bet 99% of people who call it swill would be waxing lyrical about it if they were served the very same cup of coffee in an alternative coffee joint called fuking Nietzsche's or something.

Jesus , you're fierce irritating.
    Are you so insecure that you need everybody to agree with you? You're argument is also nonsensical. Starbucks is by far the most popular coffee chain in the world. Yet, by your logic not liking Starbucks is sheep-like behaviour. The definition of which is following the crowd. The crowd is going to starbucks. You actually contradict yourself on this point also - calling people who slag starbucks; sheep... but they do it "to seem cool and alternative" :confused: i.e. not following the mainstream.

EDIT: also, your writing style is ridiculous - you are giving guff to people for seemingly wanting to be cool and alternative and you are going out of your way to write like a 70's blaxploitation movie??

• Site Banned Posts: 14 Dack Janiels

bigneacy wrote: »
    Jesus , you're fierce irritating.
    Are you so insecure that you need everybody to agree with you? You're argument is also nonsensical. Starbucks is by far the most popular coffee chain in the world. Yet, by your logic not liking Starbucks is sheep-like behaviour. The definition of which is following the crowd. The crowd is going to starbucks. You actually contradict yourself on this point also - calling people who slag starbucks; sheep... but they do it "to seem cool and alternative" :confused: i.e. not following the mainstream.

EDIT: also, your writing style is ridiculous - you are giving guff to people for seemingly wanting to be cool and alternative and you are going out of your way to write like a 70's blaxploitation movie??

Naw naw naw baby, you got me twisted. I'm not stressin' Starbucks, go where you want. I'm sayin' criticisin' Starbucks in a hyperbolic manner, calling it swill etc, is following in a sheep-like manner an "alternative" point of view. Don't go sayin' that you can only be a sheep by following the most popular thing baby, cos that's some bullsh1t. If you weren't a sheep you'd say something like Starbucks is a bit overpriced, maybe not as good as it's popularity would suggest, but to go that step further and say it's swill or some such statement stinks of being a typical pseudo-alternative dude who wants to look edgy by bashing something mainstream, ie: a sheep. You gettin' all red faced and sweaty there bro? Here's a wet dishcloth, mop up baby!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    sounds like a good idea, I think our interpretations of those Italian words are way off anyway. My Aunt asked for latte in Rome one time, and they gave her a glass of cold milk. So we should really just use English words ffs.
    When I was in italy I got sick of ordering tea and getting a load of questions I didn't understand and ending up with crap tea. You know when they give you the teapot or cup of hot water and the teabag on the side that it's pointless. I just started ordering cappuccinos, made life far easier!
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    More boomtime amrericanism wankology being removed from daily life.
    Sounds good to me.
    You want coffee; you say: "Coffee"
    Almost too sensible to work in the Ireland of today, but I live in hope.

I want to punch people who understand Starbucks' ridiculous ordering system, and even moreso those who defend it.
    Never mind the lingo, the entire drink is boomtime americanism wankology. What the hell was wrong with tea? And not that mint, earl grey, lemon etc crap. Just tea.
    Anyone that says they can't function in the morning till they had their coffee deserves a punch too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Shenshen wrote: »
    *lol

I never understood why Ireland was selling coffee with US names in the first place.

So this, I think, is a rather brilliant little excercise in honesty. I like it.
    They're Italian names, not US names.

Caffè is the Italian word for 'coffee', and by default refers to espresso.
    Americano, Caffè Latte, Caffè Macchiato, Latte Macchiato etc. are also Italian terms, and all refer to espresso-based drinks; the coffee is produced via water pressure.

They therefore differ from coffee brewed through other methods (filter etc.)
    Coffee produced with a french press for example, would not be understood as a Caffè Latte simply by the introduction of milk, as it is not espresso-based.
    I ain't saying it's the nicest, but it sure as hell isn't swill. It's an easy target that people bash to seem cool and alternative, but that's just bollocks because the coffee, while not awesome, is decent, know what I'm sayin baby, whassup? I bet 99% of people who call it swill would be waxing lyrical about it if they were served the very same cup of coffee in an alternative coffee joint called fuking Nietzsche's or something.
    Espresso by Starbucks (in my experience) has always been dark, watery and bitter, as a result of either old beans, poor baristas, or both.
    Espresso should be light brown and creamy throughout (produced with fresh beans and good baristas).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    My Aunt asked for latte in Rome one time, and they gave her a glass of cold milk. So we should really just use English words ffs.
    I think they do that on purpose, I thought I had it twigged in Spain. I'd just order Americanos and for the most part I'd get a nice big plain cup of coffee but every so often I'd get little espresso cups and not wanting to look like a coffee noob that didn't know any better I'd just take it and act like I expected it. Which I suppose is the biggest noob thing to do.

Me: Americano? please..
    Spaniard: "Se... I bet this potato eater doesn't have a clue, I'll just bring him an octopus and see how he reacts"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Anyone would think they were trying to use up all the milk, so Pat Mustard would call by more often

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I still prefer my name for all coffee; Vile Smelly Liquid.
    Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

The "tall" "grande" "venti" bollocks always confused the f*ck out of me.

"Can I have a normal black coffee please."

"A tall Americano?"

"No, just the normal-sized one..."

"So a grand Ameri..."

"JUST GIVE ME THAT SWEET LIQUID COCAINE!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I still prefer my name for all coffee; Vile Smelly Liquid.
    Yuck.
    Like all good things you have to do it until you're addicted. Then it's nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

Hey Baby. Don't be critisising Starbucks in no hyperbolic manner. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Back in my day if you went into a shop and ordered a Caffe Mocha it wasn't long before you'd be hauled off to Sarsfields Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

kingtut wrote: »
    Caffe latte is described as ‘really really milky coffee’,

What Debeham's fail to point out, is that like all Irish/UK lattes it will be superheated to the temperature of the sun by the repeated application of steam to a jug which has been topped up all morning.

It will then be poured into a takeaway cup which will efficiently concentrate the scalding temperature onto a focused spot on your tongue which you will then be rubbing on the roof of your mouth for the rest of the day. Your latte will return to room temperature somewhere around 2015.

For this torture it will be €3.95, no please or thank yous given.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

kingtut wrote: »
    Caffe latte is described as ‘really really milky coffee’

But what if I don't want a really, really milky coffee, what if I just want a really milky coffee? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

This is the best news I've heard in six years.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,150 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Go on then, I'll buy it, what happened six years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

You just order it the way the bad guy does in the diner in A History of Violence.
    He didn't fair too well on that score!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

No not really, it's just seen as cool to criticise it. Sheep!

Starbucks is to coffee what McDonalds is to a steak. Vile place.

Desserts cleverly disguised as coffee.. "Yea I'll have a venti mocha with a shot of toffee nut syrup, with whipped cream, extra caramel drizzle and chocolate dusting... oh and make it with low fat mik. I'm on a diet" :rolleyes: Fukn bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ahh nothing nicer than a good ole EXpresso when you are in a hurry. Much better than DHL.:rolleyes:

Big X you got there. Trying to compensate? ;)

btw, for those that don't know. The reason a Venti cup is called a Venti is because of the size. There's 20-something fluid ounces in it.

Apparently, originally there were only two sizes. The short and tall. A Short is an expresso. Tall was a cup. Grande was brought in then. It was called Grande because it's bigger and was then the biggest. Then Venti. Now there's a bigger one in the US called a Trenta. It has 30 something fluid ounces.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

Grayson wrote: »

btw, for those that don't know. The reason a Venti cup is called a Venti is because of the size. There's 20-something fluid ounces in it.

Apparently, originally there were only two sizes. The short and tall. A Short is an expresso. Tall was a cup. Grande was brought in then. It was called Grande because it's bigger and was then the biggest. Then Venti. Now there's a bigger one in the US called a Trenta. It has 30 something fluid ounces.

That's because they are all fat cûnts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

I actually like McDonalds coffee.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is it grand or grand-ay?

Does canyon remember when you asked for a coffee and they shovelled 2 spoons of nescafe from a 5 gallon tin drum into a cup of boiling water....

Grand-ay, frocha, mocha, skinny, venti, tall, small, latte my arse...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Degringola

mitosis wrote: »
    Your aunt's interpretation is certainly way off. Latte is milk. If she wanted coffee why did she ask for milk?

I think that's because in the English speaking world we've shortened it to just Latte and forget that it actually just means milk.

Happened me in Ljubljana, I asked for a very, very hot Latte and got boiling hot milk.

Unlike an earlier poster, my main beef with newfangled coffee if there's milk involved is that it's always only lukewarm and by the time you get half-way down, downright cold. So in order to get a normal-hot coffee you have to insist that they make the milk really, really hot.

I also think Insomnia coffee is weird tasting, vile and undrinkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,154 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Degringola wrote: »
    Happened me in Ljubljana, I asked for a very, very hot Latte and got boiling hot milk.

I drank espressos for a week once in Croatia because I kept asking for coffee and that's what they kept giving me. Pretty much anywhere in Europe if you ask for a coffee, the presume you mean an espresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It's ESPRESSO

Also these new coffee names are retarded. Fair enough changing the sizes to small, medium and large, that makes sense, but those new coffee names look like they're written so toddlers can understand them. Why change their proper names? If you're that stupid that you don't understand the different types of coffees then you shouldn't be drinking coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

btw, for those that don't know...

My favourite part is where no-one asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Furious_George

feck the naming system.
    even in Starbucks, I ask for a large black coffee.

+1 its just habit because its what I have always ordered. In my local cafe I walk in and they have a large black coffee poured for me before i reach the counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

expresso.

There I was...being nice, tryin' ta learn ya something....and what did you do?
    You went and phucked it right up with your first effort.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 AgentOraiste

eth0 wrote: »
    Back in my day if you went into a shop and ordered a Caffe Mocha it wasn't long before you'd be hauled off to Sarsfields Court.

Or the Boilerhouse..

Advertisement