Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Parents

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

You can put privacy settings set to whatever you want but once you upload it you no-longer own the picture or have any rights to it, also, once you upload it, if others decide to share it any privacy settings you have are gotten rid of, I know I'm being paranoid but I'm a geek and have a little knowledge on social media, you know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We don't put up any pictures of our child on Facebook. We had a chat about it before hand and decided it wasn't fair on her to have pictures up, especially the messy ones. So we decided against it. It has caused some problems. One family member is extremely into documenting every single thing about everyone and has expressed their annoyance to us on many occasions about our not having pictures up, but we do what's right for us. We might be over the top but we try to limit others taking pictures too, it might be strange to others but I feel we are the guardians of our child's privacy.
    I had a really uncomfortable experience recently where a friend 'liked' the scan picture of one of his friends (I don't know who this person is). I felt like a total voyeur, seeing the scan of this person's child when I don't have a clue who she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We're 22 days in (I'm back to work tomorrow :() and I have to say that our families have been great. Not calling up to us constantly (though the MIL would if she could), helping out when they're here and generally not trying to take control. Friends have been pretty good too - a couple of people have done the, "I'm near you now, can I drop in" thing, but we've managed to get everyone to play by our rules and call in at a set time.

Sometimes people might arrive at 2 o'clock and hang around for 3 hours, but you can't really say, "OK, I've things to do now, thanks for the pressies, but GTFO". So I think we've been blessed as I know lots of people get mobbed. It also helps that I have older brothers with kids who were killed telling me to keep the visitor numbers down.

The MIL has been a little trying, but she's only trying to do what she thinks is best. She's a worrier at the best of times - on day 6 the temperatures dropped and we got a phone call at 9am asking if the baby was OK and that she'd been awake all night worrying about the cold. Eh, we do have central heating you know. She's also a little bit quick with the 1950's witch potions and old wives tales - "Oh, some sugary water is what you need", "Gripe water, best stuff in the world", "Green poo? It's gripe. Nothing you can do about it", "It's too cold in here. 18 degrees? But her hands are freezing, she must be cold", "There's a little bit of wet on her babygro, she'll catch a cold". But she's grand, we can tell she's trying really hard to keep 99% of the stuff to herself, so we put up with the 1% :D

My own mother was a paediatric nurse for 20 years which comes in very useful but even she can go on flights of fantasy every now and again. "Vomiting? Probably a hiatus hernia. You had that. You'll probably need to switch to bottle feeding, but see how it goes."
    Yeah, we just spent more time burping the baby and that problem has gone away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

One thing to note OP is that the reverse of your situation is a lot worse. We had no visitors whatsoever as we living in the UK for work. They were long days for my wife and we ended up moving near her relatives in the end as she was finding it too difficult and lonely.
    seamus wrote: »
    My own mother was a paediatric nurse for 20 years which comes in very useful but even she can go on flights of fantasy every now and again. "Vomiting? Probably a hiatus hernia. You had that. You'll probably need to switch to bottle feeding, but see how it goes."
    Yeah, we just spent more time burping the baby and that problem has gone away. :D

Frightening that a nurse of 20 years would give advice like that. It seems the quick fix is what they are trained to always recommend, which is quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭aniascor

seamus wrote: »

That used to drive me crazy - not the hiatus hernia, we never had that - but the "oh you'll have to switch to bottles". I just don't get it. So many people, especially from the older generation, seem to think bottles are the answer to everything. Bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

My in laws are majorly against the boob, when they found out Mrs. Clareman was bottle feeding they were delighted, I just don't get it, why get so wound up against what someone else does that has nothing to do with you, then again my father in law nearly had a heart attack when his daughter in law breast fed her child at the lunch table 1 day and they were disgusted when she was breast feeding their child at a table at a wedding when the speeches were going on, that was cause they saw it on video, I found it amusing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Its normal, especially with your first. People mean well and you will probably do the same yourself when someone you know is a first time parent. But everyone has to find their own feet. I have two kids now and I constantly have to tell myself that if new parents want advice they will ask for it. :D

Now the only advice I give is please don't turn into a baby bore, please don't act like you are the first people in the world to have a baby, please don't think because you have a newborn you are suddenly qualified to comment on how I raise my teenager and please don't think becasue I am a parent I only want to talk about children.

We are trying everything to make sure we don't turn everything into baby baby baby, we haven't been out yet, that'll be the biggest challenge, tomorrow I'm going to get out for a few hours, woohoo.

We were all home on day 4 and out n about on day 5 and then pretty much every day since. Just can't handle the cabin fever :D

Can't stress enough how good it is to get used to car seats and prams and get out doing normal things like going for a walk or going shopping. Best to do it when it's not busy of course.

We have 2 car seats and bases (1 for each car) so that's awful handy, herself is just back from visiting a friend of hers there and she's going to go shopping into Limerick tomorrow, she's bringing the little 1 with her to get used to it. We did get out for dinner last Saturday night for an hour, this Saturday night we are going to go to James Bond, inlaws do have some benefits I guess :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Clareman wrote: »
    You can put privacy settings set to whatever you want but once you upload it you no-longer own the picture or have any rights to it, also, once you upload it, if others decide to share it any privacy settings you have are gotten rid of, I know I'm being paranoid but I'm a geek and have a little knowledge on social media, you know what they say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

You can set your settings so only family seey photos. you can also ask your friends to unsubscribe from you so yr stuff doesn't come up on their friends newsfeed if they comment. no one sees my pics except those i chose to share them with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭Cartman78

You can set your settings so only family seey photos. you can also ask your friends to unsubscribe from you so yr stuff doesn't come up on their friends newsfeed if they comment. no one sees my pics except those i chose to share them with.

Another way is to simply attach the pics to messages on FB and send them to your desired audience only.

2nd day back at work for me...the little fella is 3 weeks old today. Have to say it was tough leaving the house the last couple of mornings...the situation re: paternal leave for father's in this country is appalling :mad:

A couple of Swedish friends of mine recently had kids too and are off for around 4-5 month iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I use Picasa to put photos up for the family. You can set it to public or private, and it notifies the family member by email whenever you add new photos. I find it much handier than emailing photos because there is no size issue.

Sorry for bumping but I thought it'd be a good idea to update :)

5 weeks in now, the whole hand washing thing has calmed down, in fact the bottle of sanitizer on the mantle piece is behind a load of cards. The visitors have calmed down a lot as well, helps that Mrs. Clareman goes up to her parents rather than have them call to us. Mrs. Clareman was always 1 for going to bed early whereas I was always 1 to stay up, so what happens now is she goes to bed around 10ish and I give the last feed after that, can be anytime from 11 to 2, I haven't missed a NFL game since she came :)

Some things we've noticed, if it wasn't for wind kids would be fine, just don't know what to do, there's no magic trick that we can find, just keep going. Car seats, wow, she just loves them when they're moving, when they aren't just wants out of them. Gracco Swing Seats are a great invention as well.

For us, we really have to get back to some kind of routine, dinner time is usually when she sleeps and we try anything, this has led to a lot of junk food which isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Sorry for bumping but I thought it'd be a good idea to update :)

5 weeks in now, the whole hand washing thing has calmed down, in fact the bottle of sanitizer on the mantle piece is behind a load of cards. The visitors have calmed down a lot as well, helps that Mrs. Clareman goes up to her parents rather than have them call to us. Mrs. Clareman was always 1 for going to bed early whereas I was always 1 to stay up, so what happens now is she goes to bed around 10ish and I give the last feed after that, can be anytime from 11 to 2, I haven't missed a NFL game since she came :)

Some things we've noticed, if it wasn't for wind kids would be fine, just don't know what to do, there's no magic trick that we can find, just keep going. Car seats, wow, she just loves them when they're moving, when they aren't just wants out of them. Gracco Swing Seats are a great invention as well.

For us, we really have to get back to some kind of routine, dinner time is usually when she sleeps and we try anything, this has led to a lot of junk food which isn't good.

Sounds like you are doing great :) Its hard to imagine what you did with all that time before isn't it :D The lack of routine will settle down, you'll get there. How is she sleeping?

Was out for a pint with a friend of mine for the Argentina game and was just discussing how life changes so quickly and it just seems normal now, 5 weeks and 3 days ago I'd never changed a nappy or winded a child, now I'm a dab hand at it now, although I'll ever get used to being pooped on.

She's sleeping well (touch wood), she just wakes for her bottle once during the night, she's nearly sleeping better than we are, it's hard to sleep with her in the room, every noise you think is something wrong, but we're getting better, that's why it's good for Mrs. Clareman to get the sleep between 10 and 2 and I sleep in the morning.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

The routine will fall into place, food wise you will get back to normal dinners in the next few weeks, and you will start sleeping better with her in the room.
    We're on week 18 now and have a nice routine now, dinner wise we're now having it in shifts when my husband comes home. Have you got a monitor that has a sensor mat? I found it more reassuring with ours, helps me sleep better.
    Our little man was sleeping from 9-7 from 6 weeks to 15 weeks, he then got into a bad run was awake and needed settling a good few times a night. He didn't really settle back until we started solids last week, but we're back to only moving once or twice a night.

Yup, have the sensor mat but haven't hooked it up yet, she's still in the moses basket, although I don't think she'll last long more in it, she's growing by they day :D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

We used the sensor mat in the moses basket no problems. I have to say we'd have barely slept if it wasnt for the sensor mat.

Some things we've noticed, if it wasn't for wind kids would be fine, just don't know what to do, there's no magic trick that we can find, just keep going.
    +1
    Car seats, wow, she just loves them when they're moving, when they aren't just wants out of them.
    +2
    +3, thankfully we've been managing eat OK except for the need to take a cup of tea to have a breather when she finally goes asleep, along with the biccies!

I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones finding the lack of routine and the constant winding frustrating. We were told that it gets easier after 6 weeks, but that was yesterday and I got 4 hours sleep last night :D

• Advertisement

Last night I stayed up with her till around 12, gave her 5 ozs of hungry baby feed, she slept then till 5.30, then till 9, got up then. Made pancakes for us, Mrs Clareman has gone shopping now, I've a fire on now and she's nice and cozy in my arms making loads of noise, she can't get comfortable in the basket today at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whiterob81

9 weeks in today with the first child. some days are better than others. He slept from 8 until 6.30 this morning so we're delighted with that, but not getting too optimistic yet. Definitely agree with the wind thing. We started using colief last night and it really seems to help

I do feel guilty about being in work all the time and missing so much.

I have to say we weren't too overrun with the unsolicited advice, probably because we haven't been too overrun with visitors. Have to say her sister's been a help great. and our neighbours too. Most of the time, people who've been there before have been empathising with what we've been going through.

Although having said all that one woman in my office has been throwing some unwanted advice my way anytime i get stuck with her. I was told today I'm stunting our kid's development because we use white noise to help get him to sleep. She uses bedtime story cds to get her kid's to sleep and her 9 year old now knows them off by heart. I'm delighted for her, I really am, but my kid is 9 weeks old. I don't think he even realises his hands are attached to his body yet.

I told her we sometimes play him black sabbath too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

whiterob81 wrote: »
    9 weeks in today with the first child. some days are better than others. He slept from 8 until 6.30 this morning so we're delighted with that, but not getting too optimistic yet. Definitely agree with the wind thing. We started using colief last night and it really seems to help

I do feel guilty about being in work all the time and missing so much.

I have to say we weren't too overrun with the unsolicited advice, probably because we haven't been too overrun with visitors. Have to say her sister's been a help great. and our neighbours too. Most of the time, people who've been there before have been empathising with what we've been going through.

Although having said all that one woman in my office has been throwing some unwanted advice my way anytime i get stuck with her. I was told today I'm stunting our kid's development because we use white noise to help get him to sleep. She uses bedtime story cds to get her kid's to sleep and her 9 year old now knows them off by heart. I'm delighted for her, I really am, but my kid is 9 weeks old. I don't think he even realises his hands are attached to his body yet.

My son is 15weeks and he'd sooner sit and watch the music stations on TV than watch baby TV! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

whiterob81 wrote: »

You should! I'm stuck on this site at the moment!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You should! I'm stuck on this site at the moment!
    Yep, we have a Led Zepplin baby here.

Pearl Jam, Temple of the Dog, Greg Holden going on here for herself, going to cost me in therapy in years to come

Oooooo, Therapy are up next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

my 9week old likes a bit of Muse and some David Guetta when we get up in the morning!
    I found it hard to sleep for the first few weeks (when I actually got the chance!) as every little squeak and snore would wake me (the baby, not the husband), so I wear ear plugs now every night. Drowns out the little noises but no fear I'll miss the hungry noises!
    Have a great night time routine (9pm to 5.30am) but daytime is all over the place, expect the unexpected!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Aw - it's so heartwarming to read your posts Clareman! :)

My son is exactly one week younger than your daughter.
    I haven't had many visitors - My dad and brother only came to visit there last week, and that was only because I was giving my brother my old car to take home!
    I'm so glad though - visitors really drain you when you are a new parent.

You mention the wind - yup! That is the only difficult thing about my baby too. He's such a lovely, happy little thing, but his wind is just awful - the poor little mites :(

My red carpet is white from the puke too!

Have tried everything, so next stage is prescription stuff. Hope it works, because I hate him being in pain all the time. :(

My baby loves all music - doesn't seem to have a preference at all.
    Bit like me actually!

We've noticed that she holds down the hungry baby feed more so we might give that a try, but a bit of spew isn't too bad, it's all about getting the wind up we reckon (everyone is an expert :D).

We've to mind Mrs. Clareman's nephew tomorrow cause her brother is getting something done with the car and her sister in law wouldn't be able to cope with her 2 kids on her own, they are 3 and 1, we are taking it as a massive compliment that they don't see any problem with her minding a 3 year old and a month old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

emer_b wrote: »
    my 9week old likes a bit of Muse and some David Guetta when we get up in the morning!
    I found it hard to sleep for the first few weeks (when I actually got the chance!) as every little squeak and snore would wake me (the baby, not the husband), so I wear ear plugs now every night. Drowns out the little noises but no fear I'll miss the hungry noises!
    Have a great night time routine (9pm to 5.30am) but daytime is all over the place, expect the unexpected!!!

I'm the same, ear plugs drowns out the little moochey noises but you can hear when they wake easily

Advertisement