Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving the winter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Buy yourself a warm fleece and a decent waterproof jacket to wear over it

Get a neck gaitor, much better then a scarf and you can wear it over your chin/mouth to stay warm.

Throw a warm hoodie in the car and leave it there.

Get a little flash light and keep it in you pocket for when walking on quiter roads, make sure cars see you.

Love winter, great time of year, great chance to take some great photos when out hiking.

Must invest in a cheapo snow shovel in the pound shop, wrecked my alloys when i curbed them when the footpath was covered in snow at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I absolutely love winter and I hate the summer with a passion - even Irish summers are too warm for me.

At least winter-haters get some sympathy - it's not socially acceptable to hate summer. You hear all about how the cold affects old people when you say you love snow, yet nobody cares that my health suffers in even moderately warm weather.

So yeah, loving the cold at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Lived in Chicago where it got to -20 degrees and snow up to your knees. That was grand. You can wrap up well and wear boots/wellies and they clear the roads properly.

Over here, it's the rain that makes it miserable.

Fúck off rain! :mad:

PandaX9 wrote: »
    FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN! Don't just say stuff like that and not give us details! The world was built on details! Where???? I was about to resort to stuffing cotton wool down my tights before you said that..

:D

Penneys, dunned, M&S!
    Penneys do boot tights aswell. Tights with a sock on the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

:D

Penneys, dunned, M&S!
    Penneys do boot tights aswell. Tights with a sock on the end!

Oh I have to check these out ASAP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I'm just pointing out how different life is for the suicidal...

Well lets cancel winter then for all the suicidal people!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Well lets cancel winter then for all the suicidal people!

If only that were possible, it might mean fewer of us cancel their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

If only that were possible, it might mean fewer of us cancel their lives.

You might make a more postive contribution in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056795524

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Just hibernate for 3 or 4 months, ignore November, December, January, February and most of March and you will be fine, just stay indoors. Or else book a holiday in Australia their summer is just starting.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Onesies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I wear long johns and a thermal vest if it gets really cold. What I hate about that is I often end up getting too hot in them. I'm freezing when I go outside but after about half an hour I'm drenched in sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Lived in -15 most days last winter and it was grand if you wrapped up warm but with Irish winter it's all rain and crapy wind that makes it a million times worse.

Wish I was rich enough so I could spend spring and summer in Ireland and autumn and winter somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Used to make me miserable, til I grew some skin was a proper melancholy little bollix thought I was looking at the infinite SADness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Homemade soup, tonnes of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Winter is great craic. Turf fire, peated whiskey, and a good book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I have that seasonal affective disorder thing but I find it doesn't bother me November to February. It's too fold to rain generally them so it's mostly bright and sunny.

As for long johns, dunno about that bit if there's an R in the month, I wear my PJs onujder my trousers at all times. Toasty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Winter? Sure 'tis 27 degrees here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Grayson wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't invade Russia.

What a load of bolsheviks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

the way people carry on about the cold in ireland..... travel a bit, ireland isnt cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Nothing better than taking a long walk up a hill in winter. If you wrap up warm then no problems.

I'd rather have diarrhoea in mass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Winter is lovely, the nice crisp mornings, the sun glinting off the frost and snow, the warm fires and food.

Nothing better than taking a long walk up a hill in winter. If you wrap up warm then no problems.

Irish people are afraid to adapt to weather I think, we would be fecked if a hurricane hit us!
    twinytwo wrote: »
    the way people carry on about the cold in ireland..... travel a bit, ireland isnt cold.

It is cold! Its just less cold than other places. If you haven't eaten all day you're still hungry, just less hungry than an Ethiopian!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Electric and gas bills that are through the roof.

Christmas and the fortune that it entails.

About 20 fcuking nephews and nieces birthdays.

Cold, wet.

Dark in the morning going to work. Dark in the evening coming home from work.

Work generally starts to get quieter (self employed)

Traffic is cùntish.

Wet clothes.

Washing machine is never off.

X-factor shìte everywhere.

Yeah it's great to see the winter coming...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The darkness is the only deal breaker for me really, I just hate having to wait until the weekend to see the sunlight !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Winter? Sure 'tis 27 degrees here today.
    Fahrenheit ?

Just made a beef and chorizo casserole, and a lamb and winter veg stew, and butternut squash soup for the week. Winter food is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

mfceiling wrote: »
    Electric and gas bills that are through the roof.

Christmas and the fortune that it entails.

About 20 fcuking nephews and nieces birthdays.

Cold, wet.

Dark in the morning going to work. Dark in the evening coming home from work.

Work generally starts to get quieter (self employed)

Traffic is cùntish.

Wet clothes.

Washing machine is never off.

X-factor shìte everywhere.

Yeah it's great to see the winter coming...:rolleyes:
    Whinge, whinge, whinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Winter, winter, winter....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

imitation wrote: »
    The darkness is the only deal breaker for me really, I just hate having to wait until the weekend to see the sunlight !

Me too, the only thing I really hate is the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Lots of vitamins! Keep the body and mind in shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

An electric blanket. Put it on for five or so minutes before you get into bed, turn it off before you brush your teeth. When you get in it's wicked toasty.

Advertisement