Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving the winter

Options
  • 03-11-2012 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭

How do people do it? Any tips? I hate the winter and its only starting.

The short days, long nights, the cold, wet and windy weather. Wish I could just curl up and hibernate.

As a child in the 80s and 90s, I dont remember the winters being so cold. Or do older people feel the cold more?

Feel like going up the road and stealing a pair of long johns from some old man's clothes line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember winter in the 80's being colder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Stay south of the wall. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Fire on and hot whiskys.

Stay in a constant state of drukeness for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Winter is pretty awesome, you get to eat stews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Drink like a mad eejit. Use Christmas as an excuse to binge for two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭IceFjoem

Mr. Burns: By cutting off cable TV and the beer supply, I can ensure an honest winter’s work out of those low-lives.
    Smithers: Sir, did you ever stop to think that maybe it was doing this that caused the previous caretakers to go insane and murder their families?
    Mr. Burns: Hmmm… Perhaps. Tell you what: we come back and everyone’s slaughtered, I owe you a Coke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

You should consult your GP, you may be suffering from seasonal affective disorder or you could just turn on your heating to stay warm or when heading out, wrap up well! That's how I survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Loads of good food, drinks, dark evenings to have friends over and catch up, cold, clear days to go shooting, hiking, run the dogs and such, and nights with open fires, good books and movies and company. Best time of the whole year. It's cold, so thrive in it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

there's nothing better than getting a bus home from a hard wet day when you have wet socks.Then getting into a warm house,getting a shower,putting on some fresh warm socks and going downstairs to eat stew beside the fire.

I love winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sam1970

as appealing as drinking the winter away is not really recomend it wrap up warm and hope we get a good summer if that doesnt work go ahead drink away !!!!!

• Advertisement

I was upstairs on a packed bus coming home from college on a cold, wet, winter evening at rush hour maybe 2 years ago. There were two "boysh" sitting at the back with guitars who started playing Wonderwall. Can't stand the song but everyone on the bus started singing. One of the most incredible things I've experienced in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I don't mind the cold but the place is swimming. Half the country is a quagmire. I like a warm jacket and gloves but I'm not a mad fan of rain gear and muck.

Just find the nice things and focus on them.

Yeh, it's cold, good excuse to drink hot chocolate, better with baileys!
    You can get fleece lined tights these days FLEECE LINED :eek:.
    You can care just that little bit less about what you look like because you can cover yourself in layers of clothes!
    Wooly hats, nearly everyone looks cute in a wooly hat.
    Go a bit earlier to bed - get all your sleep in now - sort of like mini hibernations.
    Watch loads of movies by the fire.
    Stew! Chicken stew. Lamb stew. Beef stew. And soup! Cosy, yummy soup.
    Make are Christmas cards!
    Make christmas presents!
    Play scrabble/monopoly.

Find whatever it is you like to do, and adapt it to winter. It's not that bad really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Whatever you do, don't invade Russia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Grayson wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't invade Russia.
    i'd go a step further and say poland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I hate winter:mad:
    So depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have a Boxer dog, usually he isn't allowed in the bed, but I have found myself waking up cold in the middle of the night and calling him. He climbs underneath the blankets and cuddles up to me, I am warm and cozy in about 30 and able to go back to sleep. He is a warm, soft, 30KG hot water bottle that comes when called, what more could you want to get through the winter?

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have a Boxer dog, usually he isn't allowed in the bed, but I have found myself waking up cold in the middle of the night and calling him. He climbs underneath the blankets and cuddles up to me, I am warm and cozy in about 30 and able to go back to sleep. He is a warm, soft, 30KG hot water bottle that comes when called, what more could you want to get through the winter?

A boyfriend? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

Nolimits wrote: »
    Winter is pretty awesome, you get to eat stews.

But you can also keep small tubs of iced stew in the freezer during the summer. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

pmcmahon wrote: »
    there's nothing better than getting a bus home from a hard wet day when you have wet socks.Then getting into a warm house,getting a shower,putting on some fresh warm socks and going downstairs to eat stew beside the fire.

I love winter.

So you sit naked except a pair of socks eating stew beside the fire every evening! Weirdo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I play dead or alive on Xbox. Kicking the shït out of fictional characters makes me feel better about being freezing cold.

Also, wear thick socks and gloves. Nothing worse than freezing cold feet and hands!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

IceFjoem wrote: »

I think I'll stick with the dog, he does what he is told :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

IceFjoem wrote: »

They're cold too.

I like having my dog sleep with me too. Then I feel sorry for the cat looking in the window at us, and I take him in too. But the greedy fceker that he is, he's only there to keep himself warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

How anyone can like winter is beyond me, cold, wet and windy. I suspect these people thrive on being miserable and depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

How anyone can like winter is beyond me. I suspect these people thrive on being miserable and depressed.

Winter is lovely, the nice crisp mornings, the sun glinting off the frost and snow, the warm fires and food.

Nothing better than taking a long walk up a hill in winter. If you wrap up warm then no problems.

Irish people are afraid to adapt to weather I think, we would be fecked if a hurricane hit us!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

Winter is a difficult time for me too. I've had my first suicidal thought for the winter already and it's only been a few days. I was sitting in a hot bath after a night out, drunk, but sick drunk, depressed drunk. Too deep, too far, feeling unloved, feeling as if being a human being is a horrible state of torture. Thinking we are hideous creatures. I had a razor and I thought how easy it would be to rip my asshole and testicles to pieces and bleed out, never have to deal with anything ever again. Sleep forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I know what you mean. Defrosting the car when you're already late for work is a bad buzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Winter is a difficult time for me too. I've had my first suicidal thought for the winter already and it's only been a few days. I was sitting in a hot bath after a night out, drunk, but sick drunk, depressed drunk. Too deep, too far, feeling unloved, feeling as if being a human being is a horrible state of torture. Thinking we are hideous creatures. I had a razor and I thought how easy it would be to rip my asshole and testicles to pieces and bleed out, never have to deal with anything ever again. Sleep forever.

First step...... Stop drinking to excess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Winter is lovely, the nice crisp mornings, the sun glinting off the frost and snow, the warm fires and food.

Nothing better than taking a long walk up a hill in winter. If you wrap up warm then no problems.

Irish people are afraid to adapt to weather I think, we would be fecked if a hurricane hit us!
    I can think of at least 2,000 things better than this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Get plenty of exercise.
    Eat well
    Fork out on good comfortable winter gear to keep warm and dry.
    Goretex shoes help avoid wet socks.
    A decent breathable waterproof jacket keeps me dry without making me sweat.
    Check the weather forecast every night to be prepared for the morning.
    Having everything ready the night before gets me extra time in bed in the morning.
    Avoid heavy drinking.
    Find a course or hobby that gets you out in the evenings.
    At the weekends get out when the sun shines.

Advertisement