Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surviving the winter

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I read books on the great polar explorers i.e. Amundsen, Shackleton, Nansen, Scott, Crean etc. Inspirational and put the cold/wet in perspective.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

exercise during the day and collapse in front of the tv for the evening/night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Winter is lovely, the dreary wet mornings, the grey sky leering off the slush and muck, the warm fires and food.

Nothing better than taking a long plod up a mound of viscous flowing dirt in winter. If you wrap up warm and then tape yourself with bin bags then no problems.

Irish people are afraid to adapt to weather I think, we would be fecked if a hurricane hit us!

Cleaned that up.

You're living in an American holiday movie. It's rain and dirt and cold and damp and dreary with heavy pregnant clouds and bad roads. It's not weather you adapt to unless you want to turn into a bog monster. You sit it out and wait for things to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

You can get fleece lined tights these days FLEECE LINED :eek:.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD WOMAN! Don't just say stuff like that and not give us details! The world was built on details! Where???? I was about to resort to stuffing cotton wool down my tights before you said that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Not the biggest fan of winter except when it's calm and dry with frost, but it's a great excuse to wind down and hit the beer earlier :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

I dont remember the winters being so cold

Funny, because nearly everyone I talk to that grew up in the 60's/70/80's say that they always remember winter being much colder. We used to get huge amounts of snow 5ft deep.

Winter is fine. I personally love the dark evenings and mornings. I hate the cold but love snow (if that makes sense?). Just wear lots and lots of lairs op. Seriously, not just like 2 or 3, 5+ lairs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I can think of at least 2,000 things better than this.

Actually I am already excited at the prospect of going hill walking in snow capped Connemara mountains. It is absolutely spectacular up there on a nice clear day after cold weather.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 Jaded Jester

mikom wrote: »
    First step...... Stop drinking to excess.

Perhaps, although it's about my only source of release from my inner torment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I can think of at least 2,000 things better than this.

Go on, I have all night! :P
    Shryke wrote: »
    Cleaned that up.

You're living in an American holiday movie. It's rain and dirt and cold and damp and dreary with heavy pregnant clouds and bad roads. It's not weather you adapt to unless you want to turn into a bog monster. You sit it out and wait for things to improve.

I'm not actually, I'm living in Donegal. I agree when it rains its ****e, but just sit in, read a book, or go to the pub for a quiet drink and read the paper.

Last year in the snow I loved walking the 3 mile into town, or walk around the hill the 6 miles. Very peaceful.

Life is what you make of it, no point sitting in whinging about the cold and rain, any day that its dry get out for a walk.

Anyway, skin is waterproof! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Anyway, skin is waterproof! :)

It's not.

• Advertisement

Winter is a difficult time for me too. I've had my first suicidal thought for the winter already and it's only been a few days. I was sitting in a hot bath after a night out, drunk, but sick drunk, depressed drunk. Too deep, too far, feeling unloved, feeling as if being a human being is a horrible state of torture. Thinking we are hideous creatures. I had a razor and I thought how easy it would be to rip my asshole and testicles to pieces and bleed out, never have to deal with anything ever again. Sleep forever.
    First step...... Stop drinking to excess.
    Perhaps, although it's about my only source of release from my inner torment.

If an excess of alcohol in any way intensifies your self harm urges......... then stay away from it.

If an excess of alcohol in any way loosens your inhibitions to act on these self harm urges......... then stay away from it.

It's not.

Anything I've read about it is it is mainly waterproof, the pores do open to absorb water but you won't be soaked through like some Irish mammies suggest!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

Aw, winter is great... What's not to love about woolie jumpers, hats scarves and gloves, curled up reading a book or watching TV, walking on crunchy leaves or frosty grass, Christmas, cosy inside watching rain pouring down the window, comfort food, lighting candles, lots of excuses to chat with friends and family over endless cuppas because it's just too cold/wet to be out and about... You have to find the positives and make the most of the time... Otherwise hibernate and let all that time pass you by.

Ecarg wrote: »
    Aw, winter is great... What's not to love about woolie jumpers, hats scarves and gloves, curled up reading a book or watching TV, walking on crunchy leaves or frosty grass, Christmas, cosy inside watching rain pouring down the window, comfort food, lighting candles, lots of excuses to chat with friends and family over endless cuppas because it's just too cold/wet to be out and about... You have to find the positives and make the most of the time... Otherwise hibernate and let all that time pass you by.

It's not like that for the suicidal. All of these things are shadowed by the spectre of depression, every moment weighing heavily, every action requiring monumental effort.

Anything I've read about it is it is mainly waterproof, the pores do open to absorb water but you won't be soaked through like some Irish mammies suggest!

I would say water resistant, but not waterproof.

I would say water resistant, but not waterproof.

Showerproof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just sleep out the winter

Showerproof?

Definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ecarg

It's not like that for the suicidal. All of these things are shadowed by the spectre of depression, every moment weighing heavily, every action requiring monumental effort.
    JadedJester, I was responding to the OP's question, which mentions nowhere about being suicidal. A suicidal person's query would elicit a very different response. That is how I get through winter, and correct me if I'm wrong but that's what OP was asking.

Ecarg wrote: »
    JadedJester, I was responding to the OP's question, which mentions nowhere about being suicidal. A suicidal person's query would elicit a very different response. That is how I get through winter, and correct me if I'm wrong but that's what OP was asking.

I'm just pointing out how different life is for the suicidal...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

****ing love winter. That's all.

Definitely.

An agreement in AH, sweet!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can get fleece lined tights these days FLEECE LINED :eek:.
    Now that I did not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Shryke wrote: »
    It's rain and dirt and cold and damp and dreary with heavy pregnant clouds and bad roads. It's not weather you adapt to unless you want to turn into a bog monster.

Great effort, I'd have thanked it twice if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I think I'll stick with the dog, he does what he is told :p

Doggy style?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

This winter I shall be:

Fkucing up my education

Putting the finishing touches to my liver through alcohol poisoning

Regretting being stuck on this soggy rock that actually deludes itself into thinking it is a proper country

Playing the lotto.

If the last one works out, I'll be working on my tan in a third world country thats too warm. Knowing me, I'll buy a mansion on top of a volcano.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

We're barely surviving the winter at the moment. You can see your breath watching tv in the evenings in our apartment! All we have is a storage heater in a big living room with a high ceiling!

I like the cold most of the time though, especially days like today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Bohemian1890

Staying in on a Saturday night watching the likes of Winning Streak :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

I live in a house. I've got a 100% winter survival record, apart from 1999 of course when I died.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭poppyvally

How do people do it?

Feel like going up the road and stealing a pair of long johns from some old man's clothes line.

Dunnes sell Ladies long johns. Tuck them into a good pair of heavy woolie socks underneath pants. Finish off with a comfortable pair of boots. That's your bottom half taken care of!

Advertisement