Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You dirty robbing b##stard!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Time to create a smart wallet. ONe that has an alarm or an explosive device.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 queen of Umaill

racso1975 wrote: »
    yeah Cant access cctv till Monday and then only upon requests from cops who refused to come even though they were only accross the road.

I am really sorry to hear that.:(
    Report the Garda to the ombudsman for failing to act on a crime.
    I am sure your local welfare office will give you some money to help,If not contact Saint vincent de paul and tell them they will provide you with help i am sure.
    I hope they catch the dirt.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Data protection act is the reason why cctv cannot be given out to just anyone.I personally think if SW gave out another payment if you say you lost your first one,they would have a queue out the door of chancers with similar tales of woe.Situations like this are what friends/relatives/savings are for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 queen of Umaill

repsol wrote: »
    Data protection act is the reason why cctv cannot be given out to just anyone.I personally think if SW gave out another payment if you say you lost your first one,they would have a queue out the door of chancers with similar tales of woe.Situations like this are what friends/relatives/savings are for

He will be able to get proof from Garda when they view cctv and get a letter i am sure they will speed it up as it is their food and heat and living we are discussing.If not then again seriously sick country we are living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,749 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why leave it unattended, Must have looked like a nice guy, Lesson
    Never judge a book by its cover :P
    You being in a library should have known this :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

repsol wrote: »

the payment available is an urgent needs payment. available for anyone whether they are on SW or not. Im sure there are strict rules regarding this payment and its not just handed over to anyone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

Time to create a smart wallet. ONe that has an alarm or an explosive device.

only a fool carries a wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I saw a lovely handbag, that I fell in love with in the shop...but it has short handles...... I won't be able to wear it across my body.... I'm thinking that... I'm asking to be robbed.....

What do you think? I really like the bag.
    Buy the lovely handbag, remove the handles carefully and replace them with some chain of the required length from your local hardware store. By doing this, your bag will be unique, and therefore safe from thieves. When the time comes to sell it on eBay, you can refit the original handles and sell the chain separately. Problems, problems, problems. I feel your pain, I really do.
    He will be able to get proof from Garda when they view cctv...
    Unless the camera captures the actual theft, there will be no proof. Obviously, the footage from the door camera(s) might help to identify suspects.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

How do you pronounce that?
    Maybe you could start leaving mouse traps in your wallet. Then just look for the **** with the bruised fingers.

Bag-nals-town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

Bagñalstown. like Daniel, but with a B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not Bag-o-nails-town? :)

Funny, until this thread I thought it was spelled Bagnalstown. Interesting that, according to Wikipedia, Muine Bheag has a BP Scout Group. I thought the SAI (i.e. BP) and CBSI merged a good few years ago. Maybe there is a throwback thing going on? www.scouts.ie shows it as "2nd Carlow - Idrone".

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

green123 wrote: »
    it is this kind of soft attitude that is the reason that people make so many mistakes.

nobody is ever to blame for anything and nobody is ever at fault and so they just keep making silly mistakes because there are no consequences.

people need to start taking more care and taking responsibility for their own actions

Crikey. Good to see the spirit of human kindness is alive and well on boards.

Of course the OP made a foolish mistake leaving the wallet down. I'm also going to guess that seeing as the OP has kids to feed, he's clocked up his fair share of employment over the years and contributed to the State, and therefore the social welfare of others via his own taxes. What's wrong in asking to get dug out of a bind from a system that you've contributed to?

I think you'd be pretty swift to reach out if your kids were left sick from hunger because of an opportunistic scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Lumbo wrote: »
    Libraries are full of trained scum's children these days. They use it as a free baby sitting service when they go shopping.

A man with red hair, that visited the Ilac Centre Library (Dublin) a few years back, would send their baby daughter under the tables, crawling on all fours, soother in mouth, quietly rifling through student bags, stashed by their feet.

Libraries are full of dedicated and/or opportunistic dippers, not the best place to leave something alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

He will be able to get proof from Garda when they view cctv and get a letter i am sure they will speed it up as it is their food and heat and living we are discussing.If not then again seriously sick country we are living in.

The camera may show his wallet being taken. Where's the proof there was anything in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Del2005 wrote: »
    The camera may show his wallet being taken. Where's the proof there was anything in it?

Wallet was not taken. Money was taken out of the wallet.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bagenalstown library.

This would never have happened in Mrs. Mahon's day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Who in their right mind leaves a wallet unattended?

A wallet or money can get stolen in many ways attended or un-attended including being taken from somebody's person. They could easily have just been standing there and had the wallet swiped from their pocket or bag or something like that, but it's hardly the point. O.p. I hope the thief is caught and made to pay you back every single cent.

Hopefully this guy will turn over a new leaf before he gets caught.

I bet the Guard that arrests him will have to say "Book him! Dano"

Sorry couldn't resist.:D

i wonder will they 'er read him the book of evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Sorry your money was stolen and that when you decided to vent on here you were met with smart arse remarks. Hopefully some good karma comes your way

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Bagenalstown - How do you pronounce that?

Mwe-ne-veg

you were a little naive to leave your wallet unattended, but then again the thief probably read your intentions. LOL.:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Keith186 wrote: »
    Moral of the story is always turn your phone off in the library!

I like to read that as the father from Arrested Development :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Just had my wallet emptied by some ****in ****e bag while in the local library. Had stepped away to photocopy something and phone went off and stepped outside for 2 min.

Just in case you are reading this you c#@t that money was my social welfare payment that me and family need. I hope to god you get the fukin karma you deserve

You are equally culpable. Leaving youre wallet out of your sight was a stupid thing to do and you were as good as asking for it to be robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

You are equally culpable. Leaving youre wallet out of your sight was a stupid thing to do and you were as good as asking for it to be robbed.

Of the two parties involved, one was naive and made a mistake, the other was a thief who committed a crime. The OP is a victim here and while he didn't help himself, to describe him as equally culpable and asking for his wallet to be robbed is unfair. People are not obligated to rob just because the opportunity presents itself.

If you're walking by a house with a window open, that you could easily climb through, could you convince yourself that you are only half to blame for breaking in and helping yourself to anything you like. of course not. And likewise, just because a wallet was left unattended does not exonerate the thief from part of the blame.

Would people be more sympathetic towards the OP if he had dropped his wallet accidentally only to later find it emptied?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Of the two parties involved, one was naive and made a mistake, the other was a thief who committed a crime. The OP is a victim here and while he didn't help himself, to describe him as equally culpable and asking for his wallet to be robbed is unfair. People are not obligated to rob just because the opportunity presents itself.

If you're walking by a house with a window open, that you could easily climb through, could you convince yourself that you are only half to blame for breaking in and helping yourself to anything you like. of course not. And likewise, just because a wallet was left unattended does not exonerate the thief from part of the blame.

Would people be more sympathetic towards the OP if he had dropped his wallet accidentally only to later find it emptied?

Probably, BUT he didn't he left it "unattended" while he went to answer the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of thefts are done from occupied houses. The majority of people won't jump through the window but scumbag thiefs will. By leaving the window open you've made their "job" easier. Unfortunately the days of leaving open windows unattended are long gone. From a quick Google it appears insurance companies aren't too fast on paying out for non forced entry, the act of leaving your wallet unattended is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Del2005 wrote: »
    A lot of thefts are done from occupied houses. The majority of people won't jump through the window but scumbag thiefs will. By leaving the window open you've made their "job" easier. Unfortunately the days of leaving open windows unattended are long gone. From a quick Google it appears insurance companies aren't too fast on paying out for non forced entry, the act of leaving your wallet unattended is the same.

One of those Google links you provided explained it well in that people have a duty to protect their insured belongings. And I suppose you can expand this to include all your belongings, but surely you, me and everyone else (especially thieves) have a greater duty not to steal from people.

Yes, the OP was responsible for not taking enough care, but the thief is the one who committed a crime. People shouldn't loose sight of that when blaming the OP. Naivety aside, the OP was entitled to leave his wallet temporarily unattended and not have it robbed, the thief was not entitled to rob the wallet just because he could. And so, I place most, if not all, the blame on the thief.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Probably, BUT he didn't he left it "unattended" while he went to answer the phone.
    And if it had been dropped accidentally, it would also have been unattended while he went to answer the phone. But that doesn't make it any less wrong for the thief to help themselves to his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

One of those Google links you provided explained it well in that people have a duty to protect their insured belongings. And I suppose you can expand this to include all your belongings, but surely you, me and everyone else (especially thieves) have a greater duty not to steal from people.

Yes, the OP was responsible for not taking enough care, but the thief is the one who committed a crime. People shouldn't loose sight of that when blaming the OP. Naivety aside, the OP was entitled to leave his wallet temporarily unattended and not have it robbed, the thief was not entitled to rob the wallet just because he could. And so, I place most, if not all, the blame on the thief.

And if it had been dropped accidentally, it would also have been unattended while he went to answer the phone. But that doesn't make it any less wrong for the thief to help themselves to his money.

#
    Actually no it wouldn't have been unattended it would have been LOST as in " **** I lost my wallet " rather than " **** I left my wallet on that table in the library "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Crimes of this nature are almost entirely opportunistic. Give a thief like this an opportunity and they'll take it most times.

In an ideal world we'd be able to leave our stuff unprotected in a public place but we dont live in an ideal world.

Advertisement