Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I wonder what type of market research they conduct in determining what routes might be viable?

Along with practical issues specific to the business end of things, do they analyse what markets businesses in the area trade with or are part located? Do they try and establish what UK colleges students in the area go to? What football teams are big even!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

hardybuck wrote: »
    I wonder what type of market research they conduct in determining what routes might be viable?

Along with practical issues specific to the business end of things, do they analyse what markets businesses in the area trade with or are part located? Do they try and establish what UK colleges students in the area go to? What football teams are big even!?

All of those and lots more. Luckily the current routes have history that they can base it on as well so even though they are new the routes are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

2481 pax in NOV for LTN
    LF of 49%

809 pax in NOV for BHX
    LF of 45%

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnnyvegas2

Great to see Waterford airport making the headlines with the waterford-airport-christmas-blaas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Great to see Waterford airport making the headlines with the waterford-airport-christmas-blaas :)

That's really going to pull in the passengers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

It was a fantastic way to get national media coverage & at a very low cost ................ & that's how you pull in customers!

So a story with a feel good factor and free advertising across multiple platforms will drive passengers away is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dzilla

Not really, nice gesture none the less and a great way to get into media local and national.

How do you think they should be approaching a media drive to capture customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

2 Saab 340 charters in over the coming days, SP-MRC operating for Sky Taxi. Pictures available on Waterford Aviation facebook page.

On a further note, this was discussed on one of these threads, but if you book via Skyscanner you generally save about 33% on the fare. Found a €129 fare when VLM were charging €184. Something to note, perhaps, for those who use the route.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Carnacalla wrote: »
    2481 pax in NOV for LTN
    LF of 49%

809 pax in NOV for BHX
    LF of 45%

I assume that these volumes are hardly sufficient for VLM to continue their service? They're fairly small planes so a 45% load could mean in the region of 20/25 passengers. Surely that can't pay? I hope that these numbers improve as I love the service and would hate to lose it. For how long are VLM tied in to providing the flights, does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I assume that these volumes are hardly sufficient for VLM to continue their service? They're fairly small planes so a 45% load could mean in the region of 20/25 passengers. Surely that can't pay? I hope that these numbers improve as I love the service and would hate to lose it. For how long are VLM tied in to providing the flights, does anyone know?

They can leave in the morning if they like. Given that passengers are paying high fares, VLM are probably managing to make a slight loss off this route in the wintertime. This is to be expected. Other higher end airlines such as Cityjet charge (generally) lower fares and operate 40% loads on average in the winter so 49% isn't really something to be worried about, as it'd be profitable in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

man98 wrote: »
    They can leave in the morning if they like. Given that passengers are paying high fares, VLM are probably managing to make a slight loss off this route in the wintertime. This is to be expected. Other higher end airlines such as Cityjet charge (generally) lower fares and operate 40% loads on average in the winter so 49% isn't really something to be worried about, as it'd be profitable in the summer.

I'm glad to hear that. I only travel to the UK a couple of times a year, but it's so good to know that we have such a convenient service on our doorstep. I would always try to fly from Waterford when I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

It would be nice if the VLM website offered TLS/SSL (encryption) for credit card bookings.

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    It would be nice if the VLM website offered TLS/SSL (encryption) for credit card bookings.

Yes unfortunately quite and old feel to the website.

Any idea of how the route did over Dec and into the new year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Any idea of how the route did over Dec and into the new year?

LTN 1740
    BHX 824

No idea of LF as a number of flights didn't operate due to weather.

--

Tonight's Luton VLM417 (OO-VLI) had to turn around just before the coast of Wexford and routed back to Waterford. Still on the ground. Tonight's LTN-WAT cancelled as a result.

b757 wrote: »
    LTN 1740
    BHX 824

No idea of LF as a number of flights didn't operate due to weather.

--

Tonight's Luton VLM417 (OO-VLI) had to turn around just before the coast of Wexford and routed back to Waterford. Still on the ground. Tonight's LTN-WAT cancelled as a result.

Cheers for that.

Any idea why it turned back? Weather or tech issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

A rouge guide to flights that were scheduled for the month would give a load around 50%. The cancellations may have impacted actual numbers so in normal conditions it may be higher.

Waterford to Luton 1651. Waterford to Birmingham 545 in 2016 this figure was 1357 for Birmingham in 2015.

Didn't work out Load Factors as don't know how many flights actually ran with the dodgy weather we had in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Waterford to Luton 1651. Waterford to Birmingham 545 in 2016 this figure was 1357 for Birmingham in 2015.

Didn't work out Load Factors as don't know how many flights actually ran with the dodgy weather we had in January.

47% LTN
    30% BHX

Assuming every flight operated which wasn't the case.

BHX figure for 2015 was greater due to no LTN and Flybe operating a 78 seat aircraft on a established route in which they built up their customer base.

• Advertisement

b757 wrote: »
    47% LTN
    30% BHX

Assuming every flight operated which wasn't the case.

BHX figure for 2015 was greater due to no LTN and Flybe operating a 78 seat aircraft on a established route in which they built up their customer base.

You'd have to hope some of the Birmingham flight didn't run as that figure is quite worrying other wise.

I'm aware Flybe was more established but would still expect VLM to be getting closer than basically third of the numbers.

You'd have to hope some of the Birmingham flight didn't run as that figure is quite worrying other wise.

I'm aware Flybe was more established but would still expect VLM to be getting closer than basically third of the numbers.

VLM are a very different airline to Flybe upon examination. VLM charge high fares for a high quality service and can often break even on low loads (thanks to high yield), although I'm not sure that's quite as low as 30%.

February figures. Luton to Waterford 1967 Birmingham to Waterford 665. Slightly up on last month. This Spring and Summer will make or break the route so keep supporting your local airport. Unsure of number of flights so didn't work out loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

February figures. Luton to Waterford 1967 Birmingham to Waterford 665. Slightly up on last month. This Spring and Summer will make or break the route so keep supporting your local airport. Unsure of number of flights so didn't work out loads.
    Recently had to fly to Brum from Dublin with Ryanair coz there was no midweek overnight option from Waterford. Very frustrating as I was prepared to pay the large price differential for the convenience of flying local and to support our local airport. Also it's not the pain in the hole it used be to get to Dublin Airport since the Newlands X flyover was opened. Also able to book Quickpark on the flight ticket, in and out just by waving a barcode at the barrier - easypeasy. I'd still rather go local in future but I can see why the target market throughout the Southeast might say f**k that for a game of soldiers.

Used the service at the weekend. Very impressed as usual, comfort and convenience.

load was light on the plane on sunday but on friday was definitely 75% full.

On a topical note, very happy with the services offered recently by the airport, are there any rumours/discussions regarding future routes? Maybe MAN? I know Flybes plans at London City went caput, I wonder would they consider coming back here. their loads where impressive.

BHX cancelled from May 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Carnacalla wrote: »
    BHX cancelled from May 2nd.

thats not good news

• Registered Users Posts: 28,293 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Just heard about that, we have used that flight numerous times in the past 12 months (mostly Bhx to Wat and return) it will be a great loss to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

looksee wrote: »
    Just heard about that, we have used that flight numerous times in the past 12 months (mostly Bhx to Wat and return) it will be a great loss to the area.

Yeah, poor Brum. How will they cope?

Meanwhile, back in Prosperity Central, I've lost count of the gold-plated private jets using Waterford Airport. It's future is certain with that tiny runway serving local Waterford oligarchs - the Ryanair hater's were right all along. Waterford plebs don't deserve to fly anyway.

Advertisement