Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously worried ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 poussin78

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    OP, I'm not implying anything, but not only do you have perfect English, you also use idiomatic expressions, even Irish expressions flawlessly...

Where did you learn your English?

I never said I was French ... -;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Madam_X wrote: »
    I'm relaxing on a comfy seat in a bar right now, surrounded by contented, relaxed people - well dressed, well fed, talking about whatever they wish. Out the window I see parked cars, all fairly new. I think it's a ****ing disgrace to lie about Ireland being a third world hole, a horrible place to live. Those who do so haven't the first ****ing iota as to what actually constitutes same.

Agreed. I think the Celtic Tiger had some people so spoiled, they've lost all sense of perspective. When I go back to Dublin, I meet up with friends, some of whom are on the dole. I get that being on the dole is boring and depressing but they have no idea how lucky they are to even have it. They've all got nice, new clothes, they go out drinking regularly, think nothing of stopping for a chipper or a Chinese on the way back from the pub, all have iPhones. All this without even having a job.

Here in Spain (which isn't even a third world hellhole either), most young people aren't even entitled to the dole and when you get it, it's only for a limited time and a really measly amount. I know plenty of young Spaniards working 10 hours a day for less than you get on the dole in Ireland and they're the lucky ones. A lot of my students here are on the dole and desperately trying to improve their English in the hope they'll find a job before their dole runs out. I see people going through the bins every single day - normal people - and there are 2 or 3 different soup kitchens and food pantries in my neighbourhood.

I'm not saying Ireland is paradise, but I think some people need to do a bit of research and find out what a REAL third world country is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

poussin78 wrote: »
    I never said I was French ... -;)

Why are you giving that impression, then? People are talking to you as if you are and you haven't corrected anyone. When I read your OP, I assumed you were Irish and thinking of returning but it's a bit odd that you haven't made that clear. Where in Ireland are you from?

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Why are you giving that impression, then? People are talking to you as if you are and you haven't corrected anyone. When I read your OP, I assumed you were Irish and thinking of returning but it's a bit odd that you haven't made that clear. Where in Ireland are you from?

I've lived all my adult life in France, that's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh hey, guys, I'm heading down to the bar to log-on to Boards.ie and converse with strangers on the Internet.
    Of course! Nothing to do with waiting for friends because of arriving early, and going online on one's smartphone the way one might read a book or a newspaper to keep occupied while waiting.

• Advertisement

What an ignorant little elaboration. Many people who pass their opinions on this website and are rightly furious with how this country is being run, are actually engaged in their own campaign to keep small businesses open, keep people in jobs, keep poverty from the door. Them having their priorities right, and being too preoccupied with their own survival in this country at the moment, in an effort to stay on the right side of the poverty line, does not deprive any such person of a right of opinion on these forums.
    Not all of us in this country are being paid 50k or 60k upwards and the rest of it for working a year for a 35 hour an hour week in the public sector who are heavily unionised and therefore are organised to protest. Some of us have priorites that simply don't allow for us being a modern day Jim Larkin type activist but don't dare knock anyone struggling to survive and feed themselves and stay off the poverty line in this country at the moment when you are probably not even living in the country.
    You're in dire circumstances - many people are. Self-employed people are in a very precarious situation that's not enviable; their lack of entitlement to state assistance if for example they became ill really sucks. Ordinary people have to clean up the mess caused by the Celtic tiger - nobody's denying that reality. But your personal situation does not paint an accurate picture of the overall, so to say it's a terrible place to live, due to that being the case for you personally, is wide off the mark. Plus you don't have to be earning 50k to have a decent quality of life here. It is a good place to live if you are lucky enough to be in employment, which the OP will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 jelfs

Is your job in politics? Sure if you're a politician, you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Of course! Nothing to do with waiting for friends because of arriving early, and going online on one's smartphone the way one might read a book or a newspaper to keep occupied while waiting.

He's just jealous because he's doing nothing and would love to be down the pub fiddling on his phone. Same old story, trying to find something wrong with whatever everyone else is doing so they dont have to do anything themselves.

You dont have to explain yourself, I'm sure your "friends" will show up soon *wink*. :p

Oh that? That was lunchtime!

So it was, sorry didnt register the time on the post. Let me rephrase it then as - Hope you had a nice lunch with your "friends".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Manny Pacquiao

Scioch wrote: »
    He's just jealous because he's doing nothing and would love to be down the pub fiddling on his phone. Same old story, trying to find something wrong with whatever everyone else is doing so they dont have to do anything themselves.

Yes, I criticize someone for being on Boards.ie in the pub because I'm jealous of them and that makes absolute sense!

That must apply to you too, then, because you're on here too and must have nothing to do, apparently, seeing you are now finding faults with me. Don't be so self-loathing - if you don't love yourself, then no-one will.

I was in the pub earlier watching the football matches. Didn't log-on to Boards.ie, though, because I have friends on Facebook I rather chat to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

If your a fun, free thinking, glass-half full person you'll be grand. I dont have a penny, but at the weekend i head to the incredible Irish country side for a hike or cycle my bike, it's amazing. I have no problems going out and having a great time while meeting great people on a very small budget. There is always something good to do for cheap in Dublin, any night of the week, you just gotta not be a miserable d1ck and the type of person people like.

Most of the people on here giving out sh1te about the country would probably be grumpy ****er's anywhere that they lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Expect a lot less holidays from work anyway! They always seem to have time off in France. Depends what you're doing I guess. Health system is pretty crappy here too compared to France. If I ever need something serious done/expensive medication I still have a Carte Vitale in France so can just go back over there, whoopla!

Yes, I criticize someone for being on Boards.ie in the pub because I'm jealous of them and that makes absolute sense!

That must apply to you too, then, because you're on here too and must have nothing to do, apparently, seeing you are now finding faults with me. Don't be so self-loathing - if you don't love yourself, then no-one will.

I was in the pub earlier watching the football matches. Didn't log-on to Boards.ie, though, because I have friends on Facebook I rather chat to.

So your just criticising them for the hell of it ? Just to amuse yourself ? Point still stands then, why must people fill their time picking at what other people are doing ? And that cannot be said without coming across as hypocritical but I cant help that.

And I wasnt criticising you as you were Madam_x, I was conversing with Madam_x about you and your possible motives for needing to fill your time criticising others. There is a subtle difference.

I'm not self loathing (then again it might explain a lot). And I dont fill my time picking at others (not needlessly) I just felt the need to highlight what seemed to me to be what you were as I see it quite a bit and it gets to me. People seem very intent on finding fault with others when there is absolutely no reason to. Whether its calling them weirdos for sitting alone reading a book, calling them morons for watching x-factor or scoffing if they use facebook. Seems to me people are jealous because they have so little in their lives that actually interests them enough to hold their attention.

If I was wrong about you I apologise and retract the statement. If not then I challenge you to fisticuffs Mr Pacquiao.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Expect a lot less holidays from work anyway! They always seem to have time off in France. Depends what you're doing I guess. Health system is pretty crappy here too compared to France. If I ever need something serious done/expensive medication I still have a Carte Vitale in France so can just go back over there, whoopla!
    Does that work ? I thought once you were affiliated to the Irish health scheme you weren't covered by the French secu ? I think it depends on whether you're expatrié or détaché - maybe you're the latter ? Did you keep your Mutuelle too ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I'm relaxing on a comfy seat in a bar right now, surrounded by contented, relaxed people - well dressed, well fed, talking about whatever they wish. Out the window I see parked cars, all fairly new. I think it's a ****ing disgrace to lie about Ireland being a third world hole, a horrible place to live. Those who do so haven't the first ****ing iota as to what actually constitutes same.

This is exactly what I'm talking about, exactly.

Ireland is two countries now. In one, people are comfortable, secure, well-off, with nice jobs and good wages and health insurance, good holidays, a career structure; they've never missed a meal and they live happy, relaxed lives.

And they're completely unaware that many people - indeed, if they only knew it, perhaps the prosperous-seeming solicitor sitting opposite them and laughing - are living lives of terror and desperation, mired in mortgage debt. They walk (or more likely drive in their fairly new cars) unheeding past the shops that have closed, and past the people calculating whether they have the money to pay for a meal or should try to pay their home insurance with that money. They simply have no conception, for instance, that more than 77,000 people in Ireland are in arrears with their mortgages.

I wish them happiness of their unawareness, as I wish happiness and good rest to the wealthy families of Corofin in 1850 who ordered lobster and wine while their neighbours starved around them.

However... OP: if you're being offered a good salary and good career prospects, why not take the chance; it'll give you a step up on the career ladder; you may be able to return to France later and have a job that would stimulate you and empower you more. You have the choice to dip your toe into Ireland and leave if you find it not to your taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

This is exactly what I'm talking about, exactly.

Ireland is two countries now. In one, people are comfortable, secure, well-off, with nice jobs and good wages and health insurance, good holidays, a career structure; they've never missed a meal and they live happy, relaxed lives.

And they're completely unaware that many people - indeed, if they only knew it, perhaps the prosperous-seeming solicitor sitting opposite them and laughing - are living lives of terror and desperation, mired in mortgage debt. They walk (or more likely drive in their fairly new cars) unheeding past the shops that have closed, and past the people calculating whether they have the money to pay for a meal or should try to pay their home insurance with that money. They simply have no conception, for instance, that more than 77,000 people in Ireland are in arrears with their mortgages.

I wish them happiness of their unawareness, as I wish happiness and good rest to the wealthy families of Corofin in 1850 who ordered lobster and wine while their neighbours starved around them.

However... OP: if you're being offered a good salary and good career prospects, why not take the chance; it'll give you a step up on the career ladder; you may be able to return to France later and have a job that would stimulate you and empower you more. You have the choice to dip your toe into Ireland and leave if you find it not to your taste.

whats the second one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

billybudd wrote: »
    whats the second one?

Rich one poor one. Parallel universes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

flyswatter wrote: »
    Fine Gael are the most far right party in the country, if you're comparing our government with France's.

If you class FG as far right then there is something wrong. Ireland has no far right in this country. In fact they have very little right at all. If you want to see far right head to germany or america.

OP if you're coming with a job lined up you'll be fine. In fact you'll have a great time. We love to have the craic and are really welcoming. Well most of us are. You may find a very tiny minority saying your taking our jobs. If you here this, trust me you're not. You're filling a job that unfortunately these very people couldn't!

More poverty and worse living conditions in USA than here, yes there is poor and there is rich but there is anywhere, would much prefer to live here than alot of places in the world where there is structures to help the poor and the lazy in the form of SW and it is very generous even to the tune with competing with MW jobs and being on par and surpassing monthly wages in alot of eastern european countries where the cost of living is not that much lower than here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

In debt after failing to pretend they're rich one and living according to their means one, more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Ireland is fine. Most of the non-Irish I work with consider the corruption in their countries to be worse than here. My Italian coworker never stops on the incompetence of Italy and the pampering of their civil servants - who famously often don't go to work, they work a second job.

Ireland is about as efficient as Britain. Take that how you like, neither are perfect. The health system is probably worse, the social welfare payments are 4 times larger. Education - according to PISA - is mid ranking in OCED - which makes it amongst the worlds best - and despite what has been said here it rated higher than France. The bureaucracy is better than France. And as a renter you won't pay tax - no tax d'habitation. Crime is low.

Its a bad place for people who were trapped in negative equity, but they made that decision. The bitterness on here is from people who wouldn't live here if they could -? What's stopping them? the most bitter Irish are the never travelled Irish.

It's a good place to be young. As for culture, Paris is higher brow, although Ireland is hardly Alabama or Australia. If you aren't that high brow, come.

In debt after failing to pretend they're rich one and living according to their means one, more like.

Or just where unfortunate and lost their job or hours where cut along with salary, but i suppose the smart ass answer is always the most popular one from the smug fraternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Or just where unfortunate and lost their job or hours where cut along with salary, but i suppose the smart ass answer is always the most popular one from the smug fraternity.

Fine but nothing to do with someone who is coming here mortgage free. We don't hand out over-priced mortgages at the border.

Fine but nothing to do with someone who is coming here mortgage free. We don't hand out over-priced mortgages at the border.
    `
    Not anymore anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You see plenty of crocodile tears for the "500k mortgage for a two bedroomed apartment and now their hours are cut back" crowd but you never see any sympathy for anyone actually born into abject poverty here, many of whom didn't get a gigantic 40 year mortgage or brand new Toyota Avensis's on credit.

Typical selfish mentality, judging by some of the posters here you'd swear the only people suffering in Irish were indebted but otherwise healthy, middle-class homeowners.

You see plenty of crocodile tears for the "500k mortgage for a two bedroomed apartment and now their hours are cut back" crowd but you never see any sympathy for anyone actually born into abject poverty here, many of whom didn't get a gigantic 40 year mortgage or brand new Toyota Avensis's on credit.

Typical selfish mentality, judging by some of the posters here you'd swear the only people suffering in Irish were indebted but otherwise healthy, middle-class homeowners.

You donrt need to be middle class to be in debt, a couple earning MW a few years ago who bought a house for 180,000 euro and then loss their job through no fault of their own are now living on the breadline, there is the myth that everyone has CC debts, store card debts, CU debts, personal loan debts, car loans but a good chunk of people in trouble are people whose only crime was to buy a regular sized house and be able to afford that mortgage until recession hits and they lose their jobs because a factory or the like closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

poussin78 wrote: »
    Does that work ? I thought once you were affiliated to the Irish health scheme you weren't covered by the French secu ? I think it depends on whether you're expatrié or détaché - maybe you're the latter ? Did you keep your Mutuelle too ?

My Father lives in France and I lived there during my childhood...I'm still under his family stuff. They think I still live there. Completely illegal i'd say!

@ duggy : "high-brow" no, not for everything ... prefer a good indie concert and a pint than an art expo ... am relatively sensible to architecture than weather though ... -:)

re. financial situation : I'll not be coming over with a mortgage, no (have no debt of any description) ... will be renting (hopefully city centre / D4 / D6) ... will be living on my own and earning 68k. Doable / lifestyle ?

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    My Father lives in France and I lived there during my childhood...I'm still under his family stuff. They think I still live there. Completely illegal i'd say!

Ca vaut la peine d'essayer quand même ....

Advertisement