Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seriously worried ...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

poussin78 wrote: »
    @ duggy : "high-brow" no, not for everything ... prefer a good indie concert and a pint than an art expo ... am relatively sensible to architecture than weather though ... -:)

re. financial situation : I'll not be coming over with a mortgage, no (have no debt of any description) ... will be renting (hopefully city centre / D4 / D6) ... will be living on my own and earning 68k. Doable / lifestyle ?

You will have a ball!!! some great restaurants in D6, Seagrass in portobello is great and BYO as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 poussin78

billybudd wrote: »
    You will have a ball!!! some great restaurants in D6, Seagrass in portobello is great and BYO as well.

To be considered after rent !!!
    I'm told to expect to pay 1200 rent for a one bed !!
    Had been hoping for 900-1000 ...

To be considered after rent !!!
    I'm told to expect to pay 1200 rent for a one bed !!
    Had been hoping for 900-1000 ...

Quite possible to get a nice apartment for that www.daft.ie

Quite possible to get a nice apartment for that www.daft.ie

Been looking frantically on daft yep !!
    Nice for 900 is possible, yes, but too far from city centre ...
    Northside, I'd been thinking about smithfield or stoneybatter, but I'm being warned off ... (security)
    Or considering goes as far out as Dun Laghaoire but think i'd be bored ...

Been looking frantically on daft yep !!
    Nice for 900 is possible, yes, but too far from city centre ...
    Northside, I'd been thinking about smithfield or stoneybatter, but I'm being warned off ... (security)
    Or considering goes as far out as Dun Laghaoire but think i'd be bored ...

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c1&s%5Ba_id%5D%5B%5D=206&s%5Broute_id%5D=&s%5Ba_id_transport%5D=0&s%5Bstreet_name%5D=&s%5Btxt%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=900&s%5Bmnb%5D=&s%5Bmxb%5D=&s%5Bmnbt%5D=&s%5Bmxbt%5D=&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&s%5Bmove_in_date%5D=0&s%5Blease%5D=&s%5Bfurn%5D=0&s%5Bnpt_id%5D=&s%5Bdays_old%5D=&s%5Bsingle_beds%5D=&s%5Bdouble_beds%5D=&s%5Btwin_beds%5D=&s%5Bagreed%5D=&more=&tab=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Btransport%5D=&s%5Badvanced%5D=&s%5Bprice_per_room%5D=&search.x=55&search.y=23

Clontarf is a really nice area and along the seafront with good transport and close to the city center and has the dart plus its close enough to cycle to town and during the summer is a nice walk from town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

You mean they're carrying stun guns and using them? That's the only context in which Irish women would be stunning.

Always interesting to note who thanks posts like this.

Also rathmines and portobello are in Dublin 2,6 and have some nice apartments for that price.

Clontarf seems a little "residential", no ?
    Would be very keen on portobello ...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Jeebus think long and hard about that, Dublin can be a very dull ,damp, depressing place. I used hate waking up on a Sunday morn to grey skies. The place actually drove me to drink..on the flip side the night life is good...but be mindful to poor public transport, scangers etc

Clontarf seems a little "residential", no ?
    Would be very keen on portobello ...

Yeah it is, just some alternatives though :)

Oh and rathmines is right beside portobello.

• Advertisement

lufties wrote: »
    Jeebus think long and hard about that, Dublin can be a very dull ,damp, depressing place. I used hate waking up on a Sunday morn to grey skies. The place actually drove me to drink..on the flip side the night life is good...but be mindful to poor public transport, scangers etc

My memory is that the mornings were often sunny !
    But maybe my memory's cloudy -;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

seriously france rocks you've got mountains to play on with snow :D

snowboarding :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

@ duggy : "high-brow" no, not for everything ... prefer a good indie concert and a pint than an art expo ... am relatively sensible to architecture than weather though ... -:)

re. financial situation : I'll not be coming over with a mortgage, no (have no debt of any description) ... will be renting (hopefully city centre / D4 / D6) ... will be living on my own and earning 68k. Doable / lifestyle ?

Sure. That's about 4k a month after taxes. Rent should be no more than 800-1k. You have massive disposable income.

• Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Ares

mauzo wrote: »
    I'm having the craic anyway!!

Are you really though. You've posted an average of 22 posts a day since you joined boards. If by craic you mean 'spend every waking hour on boards.ie' then yeah I'm sure you're having a ball of fun.
    Madam_X wrote: »
    I'm relaxing on a comfy seat in a bar right now, surrounded by contented, relaxed people - well dressed, well fed, talking about whatever they wish. Out the window I see parked cars, all fairly new. I think it's a ****ing disgrace to lie about Ireland being a third world hole, a horrible place to live. Those who do so haven't the first ****ing iota as to what actually constitutes same.

Ah lovely, another one of the 22 post per day crew! You're surrounded by reasonable company and instead of, you know, conversing with real people you must log onto boards in case you miss anything. Fúck me but the pair of me must have unbelieveably sad lives.

Sorry but I don't see why anyone who logs on and posts here should criticise anyone else for doing the very same thing ...
    Regular posting does not mean a sad life ! ... I post regularly on various forums when I'm on my computer, working or researching ... having a "conversation" as a sidetrack to another activity can help concentration (mini breaks) ... otherwise said, multi-tasking and having interests.
    I don't think you'll find there's anyone on here who is just sitting glued to Boards !

Sorry but I don't see why anyone who logs on and posts here should criticise anyone else for doing the very same thing ...
    Regular posting does not mean a sad life ! ... I post regularly on various forums when I'm on my computer, working or researching ... having a "conversation" as a sidetrack to another activity can help concentration (mini breaks) ... otherwise said, multi-tasking and having interests.
    I don't think you'll find there's anyone on here who is just sitting glued to Boards !

well in Ireland having the craic to some people mean getting locked in a pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

well in Ireland having the craic to some most people mean getting locked in a pub.

Fixed. Unfortunately this has also crossed over into having a good time of any kind. And most people think unless your getting locked your missing out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

True, average post counts doesn't mean anything. Just cos they took more interest in dicussions at boards when they joined doesn't mean they're no-lifing boards.ie

Anyway, Dublin is a great city, coming from someone who moved here 7 years ago. Don't let these idiots here put you off from moving here and with a salary like that, you won't run into any financial problems either. And by the way, if you post in the "Dublin city" forum, you'll get a better response

Whichever your choice may be, I wish you the very best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Scortho wrote: »
    If you class FG as far right then there is something wrong. Ireland has no far right in this country. In fact they have very little right at all. If you want to see far right head to germany or america.

OP if you're coming with a job lined up you'll be fine. In fact you'll have a great time. We love to have the craic and are really welcoming. Well most of us are. You may find a very tiny minority saying your taking our jobs. If you here this, trust me you're not. You're filling a job that unfortunately these very people couldn't!

I didn't say they were far right. I said most far right (on a scale).

Scioch wrote: »
    Fixed. Unfortunately this has also crossed over into having a good time of any kind. And most people think unless your getting locked your missing out.

Noooooooooo ... please tell me there are people out there who enjoy conversation over 2 or 3 glasses of wine max ? -;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Noooooooooo ... please tell me there are people out there who enjoy conversation over 2 or 3 glasses of wine max ? -;)

Yeah, there will be. Although it's not as ingrained in our culture like it is in France.

flyswatter wrote: »
    Yeah, there will be. Although it's not as ingrained in our culture like it is in France.

It will be.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Just a tip OP, make sure people know how much you love Brian Cowen

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That would be a lunch time drink!

It isn't as bad as the ranters make it out to be. Just don't say you'll be on 68k and a public service job, or they'll go ape, well more ape than usual which is very ape.

We've our problems like any other country, but it isn't a bad country to be in at all.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    That would be a lunch time drink!

It isn't as bad as the ranters make it out to be. Just don't say you'll be on 68k and a public service job, or they'll go ape, well more ape than usual which is very ape.

We've our problems like any other country, but it isn't a bad country to be in at all.

It's not a public service job ! Why would that make them go ape ?

Just a tip OP, make sure people know how much you love Brian Cowen

Sorry ... I don't get it ... does he drink wine and talk about France ? F*** I'm going to need a crash course in Irish politics btw

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It's not a public service job ! Why would that make them go ape ?

I wonder that myself! Its a right wing politics thing, I'm sure France isn't any different.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Sorry, but I have a really practical question ... (am doing my moving research as we speak -;)

What is the absolute best package for TV, Broadband (wifi) and phone ? ... UPS ? Sky ? ... Or is it best to separate them ?

And, does anyone know of any phone operator offering free international calls ? I thought Sky Talk was supposed to be coming to Ireland, but no news ...

Thanks a million if you have any advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If you're Irish, family and all here, and you're being offered a decent job here, come home :)

If it's a contract, crap job, or if you're delightfully happy in France, stay put.

• Advertisement

sdeire wrote: »
    If you're Irish, family and all here, and you're being offered a decent job here, come home :)

If it's a contract, crap job, or if you're delightfully happy in France, stay put.

Thanks !
    No, it's a permanent job and an excellent career move.
    I have friends in France, but family is at home.
    Recently broke up with boyf.
    Hard to know where feels like home - both do - torn in both directions.

Advertisement