Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2013 - 14/04/2013

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

So sorry to hear all the horror stories from Rotterdam, it sounds like a blood bath out there. Such a cruel twist of fate that today would be so unnaturally hot. Reminds me of reading the Boston thread last year. So disappointing for all those who put so much time, effort and money getting there today.

You all did yourselves proud and the main thing is there are no serious injuries and you're all ok. Enjoy the few drinks tonight and just consign this one to the reject bin!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

My first marathon done with. It was going to be a PB either way. When I started my training I was hoping for 4 hours but after so many injury set backs I was hoping for 4:30 but finished with 4:45. I was doing well up to 30km but the heat and the lack of training for distances after that meant I was suffering bad but managed to struggle through. Just happy to get over the line to be honest.

And to everyone who DNF, head up definitely just a freak day at the office and no doubt you will be all back on the roads and wipe this from your memory very soon.

Onwards and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Gutted for everyone who had such a tough time there - must have been unbelievable heat given the unseasonable cold weather we've been having here lately. At least everyone's ok and gets to fight another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Horrible day, but ecco what many others have said and say that you have to try and take the positives from it, and that the training will really stand to you for the rest of the year and some of the folks who dropped out earlier could live to fight another day in a month or two should you want :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Wow that's rough luck on you all. I'm sure it'll feel like feel like a waste putting all the hard work in for the weather to work against you. But the training will stand to you all. Cork marathon might be an option for those who didn't give everything in vain out there today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just reading here on sky news that a 23 year old competitor in the Brighton marathon collapsed and died. :( Glad everyone here walked / hobbled away from Rotterdam and will have the chance to race again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Lads I hope ye don't mind me writing on the thread but have been following it for a while for motivation. I booked Rotterdam last Oct when i had to pull out of Dublin due to having flu. I worked my arse off training in snow wind and rain the past few months, like u all. Yesterday the plan for my second marathon was for sub 4, my PB was 4:22 (Not amazing looking at all your fantastic times, but Good for me) all going to plan, or so I thought.
    I am an eskimo at the best of times so that heat just floored me. I was on for my target until mile 20 and then BAM!! I hobbled the last 6 mile in a daze and finished in 4:25. I got heatstroke and spent the day getting sick, couldn't even keep water down. Train and flight home were a nightmare (despite how lovely aer lingus were to me)
    So now it's the morning after, i haven't eaten and am debating my whole future running plans, if any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Lads I hope ye don't mind me writing on the thread but have been following it for a while for motivation. I booked Rotterdam last Oct when i had to pull out of Dublin due to having flu. I worked my arse off training in snow wind and rain the past few months, like u all. Yesterday the plan for my second marathon was for sub 4, my PB was 4:22 (Not amazing looking at all your fantastic times, but Good for me) all going to plan, or so I thought.
    I am an eskimo at the best of times so that heat just floored me. I was on for my target until mile 20 and then BAM!! I hobbled the last 6 mile in a daze and finished in 4:25. I got heatstroke and spent the day getting sick, couldn't even keep water down. Train and flight home were a nightmare (despite how lovely aer lingus were to me)
    So now it's the morning after, i haven't eaten and am debating my whole future running plans, if any :(

Nothing anyone says now will make you (or I suspect any of the rest of the guys in the same boat feel better about it)

That said I would say to you that you are not alone at all in this. It doesn't really matter what time you were aiming at. It's all relative. The effort for you on the day to maximise your own result versus your potential is in line with those used to running a faster pace as a base an aiming for a faster finish time. The fact that by all accounts here all boardsies running this race hit heat exhaustion and well over half of the group didn't finish the race should show you that the issue here was with the race day time and temp and the immense difficulty that gives Irish runners used to the weather here.

Whatever you do don't make any decisions now about your future. Never make a quick decision after any kind of defeat or setback. Take a couple of weeks out from things. If i were you I would go out have a couple of gentle recovery runs - no watch no pace targets. Just go out and run for fun. Then when things are settled and you are back in love with your running start thinking about future plans for races and marathons and see how you feel then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Sorry to hear about this (and in fact all the horror stories coming out of this race).
    My advice would be let take a bit of down time and let things settle down and you may find you will want to get back into it. Also have a look back at Krusty Clowns log. There is a man who had no luck with marathon conditions for a few races but perservered and is all the better for it.

The lows of running can be hard but they make the highs all the more sweeter. That sub 4 is only around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

Sounds like a really tough day out there yesterday. Hope everyone is feeling a bit better today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

I ran Rotterdam with a training partner of mine in 2011. We trained all through the winter in similar conditions to this winter. I remember getting off the plane in Amsterdam to 23c, the two us looked at each other and knew we would not meet our goals.

When training for any marathon, you should only worry about what you can control. The weather is with the Gods. Heat is not something I operate in well but especially when you have not trained in it.

Many of you will be down in the dumps today but you should take the positives, you can use your marathon conditioning to run some fast times over shorter distances.

Now is not the time for making rash decisions, let the dust settle and get your mojo back.

In time you will get back on that horse and hit your targets.

Get back to enjoying your running and forget about "the schedule" for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ironically having a coffee overlooking the finish line, beautiful morning for a marathon 12 degrees light drizzle. Heads in a better place this morning, at least mentally, physically will catch up later after I've worked the alcohol through the system. Few days off and a few easy runs before reassessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Pronator wrote: »

Many of you will be down in the dumps today but you should take the positives, you can use your marathon conditioning to run some fast times over shorter distances.

Now is not the time for making rash decisions, let the dust settle and get your mojo back.

In time you will get back on that horse and hit your targets.

Get back to enjoying your running and forget about "the schedule" for a while.

Super advice Pronator from somebody who has suffered this in the past and moved on.

I've been looking around some of the logs and people are telling the unlucky dudes in Rotterdam to consider doing another marathon soon, Kildare or Cork being the obvious candidates. Your training won't be "wasted", it can be put to use in shorter races that have less pressure attached and can be the basis for massive PBs in Dublin or another spring marathon next year.

Everybody is different and if any of you do decide to do one of them make sure you're recovered physically but most importantly mentally, a poor run in one of those is not what you want now (believe me, been there done that)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Much the same thing happened me in Boston in 2004. Trained very hard over a west of Ireland winter. Went to Boston with realistic 2.45 hopes. Unfortunately for me an unseasonal heatwave was also on route to Boston. Marathon Monday 2004 was hot and windy, to make things worse I went off too hard and was in trouble at 10 miles. What I can remember of the last 10 miles I wish I could forget. It was horrible, collapsed afterwards from what I now know was heat stroke. Il never forget the disappointment, I realy considered jacking it all in and really went off the rails training wise. After a break I came back and ran better than before. That race stood to me in that I doubt Il ever experience a harder one. Its hard for all of you to see it now but you will be stronger for the experience, when you recover. Today is not the day for decisions or listening to advice. Today is the day for wound licking and whinging bitterly and your entitled. Get it out of your system and get back on the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Just catching up on this thread today. Sorry to hear the weather turned against everyone. It must be tough right now but there's some great advice here from some very experienced runners.

Apparantely, there is a very reasonable explaination for the freaky temps....the weather gods were in agreement that Krusty was going to do Rotterdam next! I don't know how he tricked them by entering London instead.... is there's no end to that man's talents??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Cleanman wrote: »
    Just catching up on this thread today. Sorry to hear the weather turned against everyone. It must be tough right now but there's some great advice here from some very experienced runners.

Apparantely, there is a very reasonable explaination for the freaky temps....the weather gods were in agreement that Krusty was going to do Rotterdam next! I don't know how he tricked them by entering London instead.... is there's no end to that man's talents??

Once they don't do the same this week for London...i hope KC has turned of his GPS or they might find him:D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

you poor thing. That all sounds horrible but you ran in terrible conditions. Don't let it put u off another marathon.
    Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ran rotterdam yesterday for third time.me and my training partner were not
    happy in the immediate aftermath,but having talked to others on the plane home and read the comments here,all things are relative!

still think its a great race in terms of convenience,city centre hotels,city centre start and finish,perfect for pre and post race...

recall seeing a couple come through the mixed zone after wearing only body paint ,suppose it stops chafing!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ironically having a coffee overlooking the finish line, beautiful morning for a marathon 12 degrees light drizzle. Heads in a better place this morning, at least mentally, physically will catch up later after I've worked the alcohol through the system. Few days off and a few easy runs before reassessing.

It's good to hear from you Dom. Was really sorry to hear about your experience yesterday. Like the others here who know you, I've no doubt about your ability to quickly put this behind you. Sounds like a few no pressure runs, followed in due course by a few zero pressure races would be good to clear the system alright. In due course, I expect Rotterdam 2013 will hardly feature in your running autobiography!

Take it EZ!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭kaymin

After a previous failed sub 3 marathon attempt and numerous failed sub 60 10 mile attempts (still to crack that nut), against the odds, Rotterdam came good for me. 2:56:23. Perseverance pays off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

kaymin wrote: »
    After a previous failed sub 3 marathon attempt and numerous failed sub 60 10 mile attempts (still to crack that nut), against the odds, Rotterdam came good for me. 2:56:23. Perseverance pays off

Good stuff!! Great to get a good news story from all the carnage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Here is my report on the Rotterdam 3/4 Marathon...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bubblypinky

Just seen what happened at Boston Marathon......puts everything in perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

Just got home last night, so here's my belated 2c...

I was on target at halfway - 1:47, but feeling it more than I'd like. By 25k I knew I'd have to walk to have any chance of finishing. It was hard going from then in, I probably walked as much as I ran, if you could call it that. I got in 3:59, which I was disappointing given what I was aiming for, but pleasing given how I felt 10 miles out.

It's interesting that I'm not the only one who had 'a bad day at the office', and I'm obviously sorry to hear that was the case. I didn't want to use the heat as an excuse, but perhaps it was more of a factor than I realised.

Perhaps against my better judgement, I ran the half in Nice on Sunday 21st. I took it easy for 15k and just ran after that. I was pleased with 1:46, considering I could hardly jog a week after Dublin last year. Perhaps I was fresh enough, because I didn't actually run the whole 42.2 in Rotterdam!

As for Boston, words still fail me.

Advertisement