Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2013 - 14/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Getting close to squeaky bum time now!!!

Not sure if the course is any different this time round but here is a video of last year's course for anyone interested. Looks to be the same.

Let's just say there will be nothing distracting us from our time anyway as there is f all to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MaxPower131

Well it certainly looks flat anyway. Hopefully the weather will be better that it has been training for this marathon. Final 20 mile run on Monday, looking forward to tapering! Any recommendations for post marathon pints in Rotterdam?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

SIX MEN UNDER 2:06 TO START ROTTERDAM MARATHON
    The ABN-AMRO Rotterdam Marathon on 14 April, an IAAF Gold Label Road Race, will feature six men who have gone under 2:06 for the classic distance and who will have the course record of 2:04:27 in their sights, organisers announced on Thursday (14).

Still too far out for the weather forecast! :rolleyes: :D

How are people fixed? Taper going well?

I'm up to ninety if im honest just want it to be race morning now. legs are like rocks at the moment, I seem to be seizing up with reduced milage! :D

Is it nearly time to nail our colours to the mast....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

I'm worried about it. The max I could get to was 28km due to my knee being at me. I had no pain after the 28km but then I did when I did a 12km. I've been getting physio and it's really helping. I wish it was another couple of weeks further out and I'd be in better shape for it. I'll get the knee strapped up the Friday and hope I can get through it. It will be my 1st marathon, I was hoping for 4 hours but I'd have a party now if I broke 4 and half.

Currently on the bike and swimming just to keep active, I'll try get in short runs but rest could be the best thing for me.

Anyone have recommendations for things to do and places to eat in Rotterdam? It will be my 1st time there.

• Advertisement

Have not been myself either but from what I hear, not too much sightseeing needed!

Just hoping there is somewhere that will be showing the Masters final round on the Sunday night! (If I'm not in bed by 7 that is after 2 drinks ;))

blockic wrote: »
    Have not been myself either but from what I hear, not too much sightseeing needed!

Just hoping there is somewhere that will be showing the Masters final round on the Sunday night! (If I'm not in bed by 3 that is after 2 drinks ;))

FYP :)

Rotterdam: What they say
    Rotterdam, World Port World City, is a city you have to experience for yourself. It is a young, dynamic, international city with a passionately beating heart. The city keeps reinventing itself at a rapid pace, redefining and expanding its already impressive skyline every time you visit and presenting new cultural and sporting events to surprise and delight you. Its ever-changing nature makes Rotterdam a city that you can rediscover time and again. Have a look on the website to discover all about the city.

Rotterdam: The reality - A city trying to find it's identity, sandwiched between a working port and a financial district - if it wasn't flat, I wouldn't be here!
    Having said that they do make an effort for the Marathon weekend, though the expo is meh - Dublin does a better job. Good craic afterwards, but tends to dissipate pretty quickly. I went out for beers mid-afternoon, great fun as the runners and supporters came in from the race. Went out for a bite to eat later about 8pm - Ghost Town!

jnk883 wrote: »
    Places to eat in Rotterdam?

There's a couple of Italians opposite the expo - cheap and cheerful, but the food was top notch. None of them were taking bookings, but are mostly glass on 3 sides so you can just stroll over and get a table pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Good craic afterwards, but tends to dissipate pretty quickly. I went out for beers mid-afternoon, great fun as the runners and supporters came in from the race. Went out for a bite to eat later about 8pm - Ghost Town!

Myself and VaderMLK are returning to Ireland on Sunday evening but will be hoping to get a few beers in before we depart. Looks like we'll be contributing towards the 'Ghost Town' effect so!

belcarra wrote: »
    Myself and VaderMLK are returning to Ireland on Sunday evening but will be hoping to get a few beers in before we depart. Looks like we'll be contributing towards the 'Ghost Town' effect so!

Party Poopers!

• Advertisement

Party Poopers!
    We'll be going straight to Coppers when we get back to Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ingo23

Hi,

Couldn't find any mention of pacers on the website, I presume that there are some, anyone know what times they pace for?

Cheers

Ingo23 wrote: »
    Hi,

Couldn't find any mention of pacers on the website, I presume that there are some, anyone know what times they pace for?

Cheers

There was Runner's World NL pacers for 3hrs anyway last year.

We'll be going straight to Coppers when we get back to Dublin!!

Careful, you might pull more than a hamstring!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ingo23

Found this on the website: http://www.marathonrotterdam.nl/lopers/pacing-team

No pacers for anything lower than 3.15? Anyone aiming for 3 I can tow along beside?!

Is it nearly time to nail our colours to the mast....

I'll kick it off!

Bib|User Name|Prediction|Actual|Comments
    3348|BeepBeep67|2:57:XX|||

Go on sure! :D

3701|blockic|2:58:59|||

Can we keep this one.... :)

248228.png

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MaxPower131

:eek: Good Jaysus! They having a laugh!

• Advertisement

Anybody know if our names are included on our numbers?
    Beepbeep - you ran this before didn't you? Can you remember by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Anybody know if our names are included on our numbers?
    Beepbeep - you ran this before didn't you? Can you remember by any chance?

They were last year - got plenty of "Go Paul" from some nice Dutch ladies along the route :)

They were last year - got plenty of "Go Paul" from some nice Dutch ladies along the route :)

Just been re-reading your report there Paul and that's what got me thinking about it (Your report was very handy for trying to visualise the course!).
    Wasn't sure if you had done a home made job or if it was on the number itself.
    Cheers for clearing that up!
    Now after hearing about the 'nice Dutch ladies' I'm thinking I'll just overwrite my name with my phone no!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Now after hearing about the 'nice Dutch ladies' I'm thinking I'll just overwrite my name with my phone no!

Thats risky, what if a fuggers one gets your number? Just run in a business card hat...

BusinessCardHatMilan.jpg

Then you can just take one off and give it to the hot ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

8388|vinny1313|3:35:13|||

Added myself to the table

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Think Krusty might have secretly entered this one ?

Best of luck to all doing this at the weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you two planning on running together?????

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you two planning on running together?????

If the big man wears his sombrero to keep me in the shade we might have a deal :D
    Everything is pointing towards a sunny, hot one on Sunday, 8 degrees above normal, thems the breaks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    If the big man wears his sombrero to keep me in the shade we might have a deal :D
    Everything is pointing towards a sunny, hot one on Sunday, 8 degrees above normal, thems the breaks!

Hopefully Krusty has passed his jinx on to one of yee then and we're in the clear the following week. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Best of luck to all doing this - hope the weather stays cool. Remember the race starts from the park...

FWIW - here are two good restaurants we went to last year - O'Pazzo for evening meal (might need to call in advance to book) and Napoli for casual lunch.

Restaurant O'Pazzo, Mariniersweg 90, 3011 NV Rotterdam, Netherlands -

Ristorante Napolimore info‎, Meent 81-A 3011 JG Rotterdam, Netherlands

looking forward to the reports....

Advertisement