Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2013 - 14/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

Best of luck to everyone heading over to Rotterdam.

Is there an app or other facility to track runners during the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

coalshed wrote: »
    Is there an app or other facility to track runners during the race?
    Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be any tracking app but there is a supporter messaging thing which could be handy. The 'find runner' function doesn't appear to be working yet but will probably kick in closer to the race.

Bib|User Name|Prediction|Actual|Comments
    3348|BeepBeep67|2:57:XX|||
    3701|blockic|2:58:59|||
    8388|vinny1313v|3:35:13|||
    5743|Belcarra|3:14:59|||
    5776|VaderMLK|2:59:59|||
    2507|Mr. Stew|3:10:00|||

In semi-related news - Which pub for after: O'Shea's or Murphy's??

EDIT: Added Bib numbers and Mr.Stew's details.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

Good luck everybody - would like to be there again this year but I have my own race in Boston to attend to on Monday while you are all nursing sore heads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

belcarra wrote: »
    In semi-related news - Which pub for after: O'Shea's or Murphy's??

Murphy's was meh last year, happy to meet in O'Shea's and play it by ear, both are near to the finish / hotel strip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

O'Shea's it is so. 1:35pm ;)

blockic wrote: »
    O'Shea's it is so. 1:35pm ;)

Order me the house burger and a bucket of Ale, seeing as you plan to be there 1st :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Best of luck to everyone heading over, hopefully you get some clouds!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

there is a supporter messaging thing which could be handy. The 'find runner' function doesn't appear to be working yet but will probably kick in closer to the race.

The name and surname tabs doesn't seem to recognise any names I've put in, but when I put in the name of the county into the location tab it shows up lots of runners. HTH :)

P.S. Best of luck to everyone running!

RubyK wrote: »
    The name and surname tabs doesn't seem to recognise any names I've put in, but when I put in the name of the county into the location tab it shows up lots of runners. HTH :)

try switching the surname and first name

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭RubyK

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    try switching the surname and first name

Cheers BeepBeep :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

A couple of pieces of advice from my experience there last year:

Work out the temperatures likely for the last half or last 10k of the race. Work out what energy youll require to complete these sections. Work out the pace youll need for the first half or 30k to leave you enough energy for the final section in the hoter conditions. If it works out that the weather is cooler for teh last 10k then you can attack it and get close to optimum time anyway.

More energy conservation: start at right place and then choose your pace. That means moving closer to the front in Rotterdam. This will avoid: losing time caught amongst slower runners and/or using precious energy weaving to get past them. Look around youre pen, and start around or ahead of runners that look like they are of your ability.Thinking that starting a little back will force you to conserve energy may be a mistake.

Im summary.

Start at the right place which is a lot further towards the front than you think, and go out conservatively. Best of luck.

RubyK wrote: »

Just tried entering the names in reverse, i.e. Surname as first name and first name as surname and this works!
    Crazy Dutch people!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looks like you're all in good company:
    Brian Maher (Kilkenny City Harriers AC), Maria McCambridge (Letterkenny AC), Barbara Sanchez (Raheny Shamrock AC), Claire McCarthy (St. Finbarrs AC) and Ailish Malone (Clonliffe Harriers AC) will all have aspirations of a quick time as they are set to go the distance on Sunday.

Best of luck folks. Have a safe trip and a race performance you can be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Good luck all. Hope ye hit your targets and looking forward to the race reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Folks, I don't know if it's been posted already but one bit of important info. When I did this with Kentucky Pete in 2011, we started in Pen C I believe. We were going for 3:10 like a few of yourselves, more or less. Just in front of us were a big group of "Business runners" whatever the fook that is. They looked - how shall I put this - not the most professionally prepared bunch. We even commented on the fact that they were in front of people hoping for a half decent time and a steward said it was all down to the dosh the companies had put up. KP and meself were less than impressed and we wiggled our way through em with 2 minutes or so to gun time. Something to think about. I know it's not Paris with its 50,000 participants but I'd say it could throw ya if you didn't know about it.

Btw, KP got 3.08 and I folded to a sore, sore, sore 3.32.

Itziger wrote: »
    Folks, I don't know if it's been posted already but one bit of important info. When I did this with Kentucky Pete in 2011, we started in Pen C I believe. We were going for 3:10 like a few of yourselves, more or less. Just in front of us were a big group of "Business runners" whatever the fook that is. They looked - how shall I put this - not the most professionally prepared bunch. We even commented on the fact that they were in front of people hoping for a half decent time and a steward said it was all down to the dosh the companies had put up. KP and meself were less than impressed and we wiggled our way through em with 2 minutes or so to gun time. Something to think about. I know it's not Paris with its 50,000 participants but I'd say it could throw ya if you didn't know about it.

Btw, KP got 3.08 and I folded to a sore, sore, sore 3.32.

Thanks for that Itziger, although they appear to have changed it this year with the following statement on the website:
    There are no separate starting pens for the Business Runs. Participants for the several components of the Businnes Runs must enter the starting pen which is being showed on the BIB number.

I know I wasn't looking forward to having to meander my way through them all but thankfully will not have to now!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MaxPower131

Bib|User Name|Prediction|Actual|Comments
    3348|BeepBeep67|2:57:XX|||
    3701|blockic|2:58:59|||
    8388|vinny1313v|3:35:13|||
    5743|Belcarra|3:14:59|||
    5776|VaderMLK|2:59:59|||
    2507|Mr. Stew|3:10:00|||
    6217|MaxPower131|3:35:12|||

I was going to say 3:36 but I decided to make it interesting vinny1313v:D

Best of luck to everyone, lets hope the weather doesn't effect us too much.

O'Sheas sounds like a plan for some post race lubrication:p

Some info re the starting pens.
    These are well manned and easy to gain access, I went in about 20mins before the race last year. Surrounded by 6ft barriers with 1/2 entry points.
    They have a few portaloos and free standing urinals inside the coral also.
    C is a good pen, I'd say i started about 20 / 30 rows back from the front last year.
    The elites and sub 2:30 and 2:45 start on the other side of the road, so you do have a slight advantage versus other large marathon starts.
    The start will be signalled by local croner Lee Towers being hoisted up in a cherry picker before singing miming you'll never walk alone and then the cannon sounds.
    The start is quick enough, nice and flat and straight before a gentle climb over the bridge and then back down the other side. All the time the race is still split left and right before merging at about 3k.
    Outside of the aid stations there are regular sponge stations, grab these early on and sponge your head, back of neck and legs.
    Good luck everyone, stay hydrated, bring sun cream, hat, etc.

startvakken%20mr%202013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Best of luck all, the forecast is hot hot hot!

Bring the sunscreen and enjoy achieving your goals whilst working on the farmers tan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Good luck everyone. Looking forward to reading the race reports, this one is on my radar for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭opus

The very best of luck to everyone for Sunday, hope it's a great day all round!

Thanks for that Itziger, although they appear to have changed it this year with the following statement on the website:
    There are no separate starting pens for the Business Runs. Participants for the several components of the Businnes Runs must enter the starting pen which is being showed on the BIB number.

I know I wasn't looking forward to having to meander my way through them all but thankfully will not have to now!:)

Between that and what Beep Beep has posted, you look well set. Good luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Good luck folks, have a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Arrived and Bib Number collected. Nice and cool here. If only we could have that tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Today is going to drag!

Just had a pep talk from Dick Hooper at the gate - I'm psyched - bring it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The feckin energy is tangible on this thread!!

You guys are 26 hours away from a feed of beer and a medal to honour your new pb

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭vigos

Is there anywhere to track people doing Rotterdam?

vigos wrote: »

Don't think so. There may have been some sorta text service or summit but I haven't checked. No real tracker as in Dublin and London and Boston.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭psychozeb

vigos wrote: »

tried a few sites but no luck and can't get the live stream to work either.

Advertisement