Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2013 - 14/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Tilahun Regasa from Ethiopia wins in 2.05.38, no world or course record. I managed to decipher this from a Dutch site nos.nl.
    I can't find any info anywhere else, I'm dying to know how Maria NcCambridge got on.

Mr Stew should hopefully be crossing the Finish line anytime now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

First 100 home now posted, Irish (and Kiwi-Irish) here.

36 Tom Hogan Wexford 30e MSR 2:28:45

44 Bernard Roe Dublin 36e MSR 2:30:53

46 Jason Reid Meath 37e MSR 2:31:24

48 Simon Reede Dublin 4e M35 2:32:21

56 Brian Leahy Dublin 39e MSR 2:33:40

63 Colm Moore Cork 11e M35 2:34:11

82 Robert Staunton Galway 16e M35 2:37:29

84 Barbara Sanchez Dublin 9e VSR 2:38:41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I dnf'ed at 30km due to blistering on my feet from 12km.:-(
    Vadermlk finished just under 3, so congrats to him. Haven't spoken to Mr stew or beepbeep or blockic yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

belcarra wrote: »
    Vadermlk finished just under 3, so congrats to him. Haven't spoken to Mr stew or beepbeep or blockic yet.

That's horrible luck

Chin up

• Advertisement

I'm so sorry J, very bad luck
    Very bad day at the office for Mr Stew also, I just spoke to him and he said it was a hard slog from 8 miles, he pushed on until Half way and from there it was a struggle to keep going. A very disappointing 3.26.X.
    Bad day also for my Friday morning coach; Mr S passed Maria McCambridge at about 13 miles.
    Good news for Philip, hopefully blocky and beep beep will also have PBs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Very sorry to hear that belcarra.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Yikes, looks like bad news coming out of Rotterdam. Hopefully the others will have something better to report?

What were conditions like?

Sorry to hear that J, it sounds like it was a tough day for a lot of people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Sorry to hear that Belcarra. Give those feet a bit of time to recover. Maybe they were telling you the body needs a small break.

So Rotterdam was actually WORSE for you than for me. We'll go back in a couple of years time for revenge. Sub 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Bad news all round, DNF for me was all over the shop from 12 miles, before that I was consistently on target - I remember 15k @ 62:48. Then I started feeling light headed and dizzy, went from feeling hot to cold, toes started cramping. Spoke with Blockic for a bit a halfway, if I'm honest apart from chucking some water over me and someone calling my name on bridge I remember very little of the last 3 miles I ran - can't fathom it. Just spoke with Johnny he DNF'd with 500mts to go, collapsed with heat exhaustion and was put in an ambulance. Just spoke with him he's ok and I'll meet him later. I'm fine sipping some Brew Dogs and considering my running future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Peckham

Ah sh!te. Gutted for you BB, you deserved so much from this race. Today is not the day to consider your running future. Focus on the beers, think about the running another day.

That's actually scary stuff that the heat had such an effect on the runners....IMO it proves that we need to give the marathon distance the respect its due, (I mean in general, not aimed at the lads running today)........and sometimes we lose sight of that. Thankfully all the lads are ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I'm fine sipping some Brew Dogs and considering my running future.

Tough going Dom, almost word-for-word how my R'dam went a few years back. At least you have the spandex and bike, see you at the pool;)

(but I'm sure you'll just regroup and knock out a sub 3 in Dublin)

So sorry for you Dom, rotten, rotten luck, you really did deserve a great race today.
    I'm with Peckham, focus on the beers for now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Ah no, sorry to hear that Dom. Father said the heat was unreal over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Hard luck. I hope the blisters recover soon and maybe can have another go at a marathon in a few weeks time?
    Marthastew wrote: »
    I'm so sorry J, very bad luck
    Very bad day at the office for Mr Stew also, I just spoke to him and he said it was a hard slog from 8 miles, he pushed on until Half way and from there it was a struggle to keep going. A very disappointing 3.26.X.

Sounds like a tough day for Mr. Stew and the others. Fair play to him for keeping going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I agree with the others BB, today is not the day for thinking about your running future. It was just a freak day, it happens unfortunately. Your training and dedication was inspiring, and will stand to you. Try and enjoy a few beers and give it a think over in a few days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Bad news all round, DNF for me was all over the shop from 12 miles, before that I was consistently on target - I remember 15k @ 62:48. Then I started feeling light headed and dizzy, went from feeling hot to cold, toes started cramping. Spoke with Blockic for a bit a halfway, if I'm honest apart from chucking some water over me and someone calling my name on bridge I remember very little of the last 3 miles I ran - can't fathom it. Just spoke with Johnny he DNF'd with 500mts to go, collapsed with heat exhaustion and was put in an ambulance. Just spoke with him he's ok and I'll meet him later. I'm fine sipping some Brew Dogs and considering my running future.

Jeez, hope you are okay. Sounds like a very tough day out there. Rest and recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Bad news all round, DNF for me
    Hugely frustrating Dom. Doesn't change the fact that you're in amazing shape and have the rest of the year to run times worthy of your training. Hope you're in good drinking shape now. Hope Johnny is ok. Pass on my best.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah J that sucks, sorry to hear. Sounds like it was a really tough day out there. Tell Philip we said congrats, he probably won't be on here!
    Marthastew wrote: »
    Bad day also for my Friday morning coach; Mr S passed Maria McCambridge at about 13 miles.

Ah poor Mr. S you must have put too much pressure on him to beat you ;) Shame for Maria too who seems to be in great shape. Hope she bounces back looks like Barbara had a great run though

Ah Dom, sorry to hear that. You're training for this has been unreal. Maybe you should declare Rotterdam as your bogey race and pick another ;) You're in smashing shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Just saw that it was 21c, any irish runner going over there after our crappy weather would have been dying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Sounds like a bit of a horror show today.

Hope you're all ok and no doubt will bounce back stronger.

Listened to a MT podcast recently and one piece of advice stands out,
    "Dwell only for today".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Hard luck lads. Take it on the chin and in a few weeks get a new focus. You need so many things to go right for you to run your target time, looks like the weather went against you all, hasn't exactly been warm here the last few months either so total shock to the system. The training you guys have done will stand to you for the rest of the year and any subsequent marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

DNF'd here too, first time in 8 marathons, thought I was going ok 'til mile 12-13 then the heat took me out. Having experienced a 20deg marathon here two years ago and struggling through to a personal worst, this time I made the wise decision to pull the plug before heading out from the city centre again. Just unlucky with the weather I think, highs of 8deg next Sunday!. Can't understand why there isn't an earlier start, say 8am. I've heard 2 reasons, Paris marathon is often on the same day and starts early so the late start facilitates TV rights, also a lot of people commute to Rotterdam the morning of the race and pick up their race packs so the late start facilitates this. The North Pole marathon beckons....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Tough luck to everyone concerned - difficult day for marathon running by all accounts. On the flip side, once you can walk home from it, all was not lost. You get to give another go on another day and hopefully then the stars will be better aligned to allow you get the results you deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Christ, it sounds like a bit of a 'mare all round. Funnily enough I had a right baptism of fire in Rotterdam a couple of years ago. Also needed some medical attention about an hour after the race. Few hours later I was well enough for a couple of jars and though I thought it was going to be my last as well as first marathon, that didn't turn out to be the case.

What is it about the place? Never heard of so many DNF's and physical problems as I have in this thread.

Hope ye all recover quickly and use the experience positively.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds like a tough day out there. Hope it's consolation to all involved to see that DNF or a slower time isn't just confined to you.

Seems like the weather may have been the biggest problem, tough when we've trained in unseasonably cold weather up to now.

I echo what Dilbert says, glad everyone is home safe and healthy. Onto the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck lads. Thats not fair. Organisers need to think about the start time again I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Gutted for you, you will have better days & lots of them too.

Advertisement