Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer dies after shooting in Armagh.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Claiming to know why he was murdered would infer you are claiming to be connected to the scum who murdered him, if you KNOW why he was murdered I suggest you contact the PSNI.
    Factually you are incorrect in saying why this innocent man was murdered anyway, the reason he was cold bloodedly gunned down was that it suited the ends of a sociopathic,power crazy, organized crime gang.
    Wow, the heads on UTV must be connected to dissident republicans then, they're saying the same as me :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

This thread is about the cold blooded murder of an innocent man by a gang of rabid scum, not about how criminals who refuse to accept that that is what they are, common criminals, are treated.
    Nothing excuses what happened to Mr.Black today, absolutley nothing!
    Talk about poor back seat modding. Providing context is relevant to the events surrounding the attack on the prison officer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Talk about poor back seat modding. Providing context is relevant to the events surrounding the attack on the prison officer
    Providing a false context/justification is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

GRMA wrote: »
    If you are a PO you should have an idea of how the republican landing is run in portlaoise.

The thing with the strip searches is that they vindictively do them when they arent needed, have you ever done strip searches on people 3 or four times a day when the prisoner has never been out of the sight of either police or prison officers?

They dont use a boss chair. They have no problems with strip searches happening if it goes off or whatever.

Oh my....those poor babies....strip searches........10 times a day..or 30 times a day....

Wow ....if you think THAT is inhumane you and I have VERY different ideas of what is inhumane treatment.

There is no excuse for murder the fact that you seem to think that the treatment in prisons is inappropriate for prisoners shows how nuts some republicans are. And how far their attitudes are from the people of the ROI in how WE think criminals should be treated and how people in the North think they should be treated.

I think PO's do an amazing job and this is shocking. PO's all over this island must be saddened.

They all have families. I am sure they all must feel for the man and his family as we all do.

Actually the context is not relevant in this case.

Infact it is highly irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Providing a false context/justification is not.
    I must be missing something then. If there is an ongoing prison dispute and a prison officer is killed. Is it more likely that he was targetted as a result of the dispute or that he was targeted for some unconnected reason and the fact he is a prison officer is coincidental? I don't follow your train of thought

Actually the context is not relevant in this case.

Infact it is highly irrelevant.
    How is it irrelevant. It is a discussion forum

I must be missing something then. If there is an ongoing prison dispute and a prison officer is killed. Is it more likely that he was targetted as a result of the dispute or that he was targeted for some unconnected reason and the fact he is a prison officer is coincidental? I don't follow your train of thought
    An ongoing dispute!
    You mean that certyain members of an organized crime gang refuse to be treated as the common criminals that they are!
    they then murder a prison officer and do so in the false cloak of the advancement of a political cause.
    Lets call a spade a spade here, the man was murdered because a bunch of bullyboy criminals didn't get their way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

awec wrote: »
    Here's hoping the filth involved in this are caught and hauled before the courts. Lock them up and throw away the key.

Dublin reg car was used. RIRA have a lot of support in Dublin. any party or group who supports them should be banned.

An ongoing dispute!
    You mean that certyain members of an organized crime gang refuse to be treated as the common criminals that they are!
    they then murder a prison officer and do so in the false cloak of the advancement of a political cause.
    Lets call a spade a spade here, the man was murdered because a bunch of bullyboy criminals didn't get their way.

well, the Gardai gave them special treatment in Donaghmede and let them fire their guns. nice to know who is in charge.

• Advertisement

Fuinseog wrote: »
    well, the Gardai gave them special treatment in Donaghmede and let them fire their guns. nice to know who is in charge.
    You fail to mention that charges have been brought against individuals with regard to that incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

Dublin reg car has little to do with it. Reverse psychology possibly? D reg's are the most common too. Not necessarily from Dublin.

Could you imagine what the cops in the US would do if there were armed men in balaclavas firing shots over a coffin?! Gardai letting them off on the day is ridiculous. They don't give a **** about being charged with it, they'd take more notice of the ERU or RSU.

How is it irrelevant. It is a discussion forum
    It is not relevant in that no one here cares what happen's to terrorists they are scum. It is not relevant to the evnt of his death. It is not connected that is not why he died. He died because they are scum.

Here are relevant details
    The Northern Ireland Prison Service said Black, a married man with a son and daughter, had been a prison guard for about 30 years and was due to retire soon.

Finlay Spratt, chairman of the Northern Ireland Prison Officers Association, described Black as "a very nice fellow to work with. He always ensured he did his job to the letter."

Spratt lambasted the weakening of security provisions for prison officers, who live in civilian areas and still face death threats from extremists on both sides of Northern Ireland's sectarian divide.

He said the Northern Ireland and British governments "have stripped away all the security around prison officers. They treat us now as if we live in normal society," he said.

The victim worked at Maghaberry Prison, where more than 40 IRA inmates have been waging protests for more than a year, including smearing their cells with their own excrement. The prisoners chiefly want to overturn the prison's policy of strip-searching inmates.

The IRA factions particularly seek to deter Catholic recruitment into the once Protestant-dominated police force, a major achievement of peacemaking.

But Catholic recruitment into the similarly Protestant prison service has been less successful, a problem highlighted in a recent British government appeal for more applicants from Irish nationalist communities.

Black was the 30th prison officer to die as part of Northern Ireland's four-decade conflict. Most were killed by the Provisional IRA, but the previous killing in 1993 was committed by the Ulster Volunteer Force, a paramilitary group rooted in the British Protestant side of the community.

Spratt said Black's killing was unlikely to be the last IRA attempt to kill prison officers — and was likely to deter people from seeking work as one.

"Why would you come and work in the prison service now and chance your life for 18,000 pounds a year?" he said, referring to the starting base salary, equivalent to $29,000.

THIS IN PARTICULAR SEEMS VERY RELEVANT.
    The Northern Ireland Prison Service said Black, a married man with a son and daughter, had been a prison guard for about 30 years and was due to retire soon.

Finlay Spratt, chairman of the Northern Ireland Prison Officers Association, described Black as "a very nice fellow to work with. He always ensured he did his job to the letter."

The strip searches in a prison are irrelevant because they do not matter...infact they SHOULD be happening as they are happening to terrorists who kill people.

They actually want to STOP catholics becoming PO's according to the article.

They are manipulating scum .....they deserve far worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

It is not relevant in that no one here cares what happen's to terrorists they are scum. It is not relevant to the evnt of his death. It is not connected that is not why he died. He died because they are scum.

Here are relevant details

THIS IN PARTICULAR SEEMS VERY RELEVANT.

The strip searches in a prison are irrelevant because they do not matter...infact they SHOULD be happening as they are happening to terrorists who kill people.

They actually want to STOP catholics becoming PO's according to the article.

They are manipulating scum .....they deserve far worse.

I think its quite relevant why he died actually, you can ignore the abuses in Maghaberry and even try to justify them but it won't stop killings like this from happening, the lack of freedom is supposed to be the punishment not mistreatment, terrorist or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Dublin reg car has little to do with it. Reverse psychology possibly? D reg's are the most common too. Not necessarily from Dublin.

Could you imagine what the cops in the US would do if there were armed men in balaclavas firing shots over a coffin?! Gardai letting them off on the day is ridiculous. They don't give a **** about being charged with it, they'd take more notice of the ERU or RSU.

Yeah and just imagine what dublins finest scumbags would have done if the cops came in,

A built up area, a big funeral, loads of bystanders, trigger happy gobsh!tes and the cops coming in.....It would have been a bloodbath... and innocent people would have been killed, and then the f88kin lawyers come in and charge the cops with something stupid, sue city here we come.

People turn against cops and scumbags see cops being shot, now they want to shoot at cops in the future to prove they're just as tough....

The cops done everything right that day, sit back take photos, videos etc. and pick them up one by one.

Personally I'd love to have seen a sniper picking scumbags off one by one, but this isn't the movies.

And I forgot to add to previous post
    RIP to the Northern Ireland Prison Service Officer Mr David Black. You and your family have my condolences.

DonLimon wrote: »
    I think its quite relevant why he died actually, you can ignore the abuses in Maghaberry and even try to justify them but it won't stop killings like this from happening, the lack of freedom is supposed to be the punishment not mistreatment, terrorist or not.

There are no abuses........did you read any of the article....???

STOP SAYING THAT IS WHY HE DIED IT IS NOT

These people actually want to STOP catholics being PO's which would supposedly make it fairer right?

Strip searches are needed and justified. I don't care what terrorists think of the policy. It is needed and right. THEY ARE NOT BEING MISTREATED.

And that is NOT why he was killed.

He was KILLED to stop catholics trying to become POS...

He was killed because they are murderers and delusional.

They are not being mistreated...and they are trying stop steps being made to make the prison service more of a balance of catholics and protestants.

So they must be perfectly happy with their treatment.

They are treated too well.

They are trying to WRECK the peace process because all surveys suggest that most nationalists want to stay in the UK but want a better relationship with the ROI.

They are treated well....better than they deserve..and are not being treated unfairly..there is no abuse.

And that is not why he was killed...he was killed to intimidate catholics from becoming prison officers to wreck the peace process and because they are old blooded killers who care nothing for human life.

Bringing up the fact that they have to be (rightfully) strip searched as a reason shows how stupid some people are.

They are not being abused....and even if they were it would not be a reason.

The real reason is trying to stop the PO' service recruiting catholics.

Well actually the real reason is just they are scum.

And yes we can ignore manipulative murdering scum.

We don't want them. The ROI wants nothing to do with them and i am sure NI does not either.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭DonLimon

There are no abuses........did you read any of the article....???

These people actually want to STOP catholics being PO's which would supposedly make it fairer right?

Strip searches are needed and justified. I don't care what terrorists think of the policy. It is needed and right. THEY ARE NOT BEING MISTREATED.

And that is NOT why he was killed.

He was killed because they are murderers and delusional.

They are not being mistreated...and they are trying stop steps being made to make the prison service more of a balance of catholics and protestants.

So they must be perfectly happy with their treatment.

They are treated too well.

They are trying to WRECK the peace process because all surveys suggest that most nationalists want to stay in the UK but want a better relationship with the ROI.

They are treated well....better than they deserve..and are not being treated unfairly..there is no abuse.

And that is not why he was killed...he was killed to intimidate catholics from becoming prison officers to wreck the peace process and because they are old blooded killers who care nothing for human life.

Bringing up the fact that they have to be (rightfully) strip searched as a reason shows how stupid some people are.

They are not being abused....and even if they were it would not be a reason.

Well actually the real reason is just they are scum.

And yes we can ignore manipulative murdering scum.

We don't want them. The ROI wants nothing to do with them and i am sure NI does not either.

Wtf was that? Did you just smash your head into the keyboard and hit submit? Why don't you take a deep breath and try to write a coherent reply?

This was nothing to do with catholics and protestants ffs, clear as day it was about whats going on in the prison, even the usual talking heads the tv shows get on are saying this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

This was nothing to do with catholics and protestants ffs, clear as day it was about whats going on in the prison, even the usual talking heads the tv shows get on are saying this
    What is going on in the prison? Strip searches? Is that the actual abuse? What every prisoner has to do? Is that reason they killed a man? Because he strip searched them for weapons and drugs for their own safety like every other prisoner in the world. Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

R I P David Black.

Did they ever catch those scambags who shot and murdered the two soldiers and a policeman in NI (about two/three years ago)?

• Advertisement

gallag wrote: »
    What is going on in the prison? Strip searches? Is that the actual abuse? What every prisoner has to do? Is that reason they killed a man? Because he strip searched them for weapons and drugs for their own safety like every other prisoner in the world. Pathetic.
    Its not as simple as that, read some of my other posts.

You fail to mention that charges have been brought against individuals with regard to that incident.

it was not really a funeral, more a display of their might, which should never have been entertained in the first place.

LordSutch wrote: »
    R I P David Black.

Did they ever catch those scambags who shot and murdered the two soldiers and a policeman in NI (about two/three years ago)?

was Marian Price not involved in that, yet there are people in the republic who want her freed.

kupus wrote: »
    Yeah and just imagine what dublins finest scumbags would have done if the cops came in,

A built up area, a big funeral, loads of bystanders, trigger happy gobsh!tes and the cops coming in.....It would have been a bloodbath... and innocent people would have been killed, and then the f88kin lawyers come in and charge the cops with something stupid, sue city here we come.

People turn against cops and scumbags see cops being shot, now they want to shoot at cops in the future to prove they're just as tough....

The cops done everything right that day, sit back take photos, videos etc. and pick them up one by one.

Personally I'd love to have seen a sniper picking scumbags off one by one, but this isn't the movies.

And I forgot to add to previous post
    RIP to the Northern Ireland Prison Service Officer Mr David Black. You and your family have my condolences.

who is in charge, the scumbags or the guards? The RIRA were there for the demo not the funeral. I do not think the majority of people would have a problem if the guards baton charged the mob.

was Marian Price not involved in that, yet there are people in the republic who want her freed.
    No she wasn't. Unless you have some type of evidence/proof? She was stuck in jail for what went on at a 1916 commemoration in Derry. (held up a speech for a RIRA guy)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭apache

If you are a PO you should have an idea of how the republican landing is run in portlaoise.

The thing with the strip searches is that they vindictively do them when they arent needed, have you ever done strip searches on people 3 or four times a day when the prisoner has never been out of the sight of either police or prison officers?

They dont use a boss chair. They have no problems with strip searches happening if it goes off or whatever.
    ANY prisoner who makes a complaint against an officer or regime is investigated thouroughly.
    What you are talking about happened years ago. They are strip searched for a reason and its all documented now and medics are informed.
    Where are you getting your information from? It sounds like you believe all the lies you are fed. We had the inspector of prisons in and his report was published recently. All blatant lies by the inmates. They were laughing behind his back. So a damning report based on lies.
    These days officers are investigated more than prisoners!
    Anyway what you are saying makes no sense. Hes in the job 30 years due to retire. If he was heavyhanded it would have been years ago. You can't touch them now (you only have to see racks of charges and suspended sentences and power and respect taken away from guards to see that) so why wait till now to murder him?

Things have to be done by the book nowadays. There are investigations otherwise. Don't believe everything you hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

who is in charge, the scumbags or the guards? The RIRA were there for the demo not the funeral. I do not think the majority of people would have a problem if the guards baton charged the mob.

Under the catch all umbrella of health and safety political correctness, human rights and other leftie soundbites.....had one of the innocent bystanders got a bullet then every left leaning sue junkie scumbag lawyer from here to Buenos Aires would have jumped on the band wagon and crucified the cops..
    Ok they might have the general support of the more normal populace of the country, but that wouldnt matter jack in a court.

How can it be explained better than that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

RIP David Black.

Sincere condolences to his family :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

awec wrote: »
    There is no valid reason for murdering a prison officer. None. You apparently don't condone it but then try and make up excuses as to why it happened.

You are under the illusion that the prison officers actions were partly responsible for his murder.

That is apologist bullsh!t. An attempt to deflect responsibility from those who carried out this murder.

So a prison officer could rape, beat, torture and commit the worst atrocities known to man and you would still reckon under no circumstance they would deserve a bulllet ? I'm willing to bet you wouldn't have the same viewpoint if a Republican was murdered, even though he might not have done a quarter of the bad deeds.

Your viewpoint is too righteous and is just as blinded as the other extreme.

As for this case we don't know the ins and outs so speculation is pointless until some facts are established.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Just to focus on this Catholic part of your post. Big misunderstanding mate

The so called 'dissidents' are a piss poor imitation of the provos. (who ultimately failed their goals)

They are a highly infiltrated organisation on both sides of the border and the vast vast majority of their operations fail. Their total number of "successful" operations wouldn't make a busy month in the 80s.

They therfore do not have the luxury of selecting targets on sectarian lines.

There's been a lot of talk that they target Catholics to stop catholics joining the psni.

Well eh newsflash the psni haven't been recruiting for years. Furthermore there are thousands of catholics in the psni already. That ship has sailed

It is only incidental the two policmen killed were catholics.

Ronan Kerr - yes obviously he was specifically targeted. He likely had Catholic friends and therefore more likely someone from a republican group could find a way to get intelligence on him. Then they probably noticed wasn't overly cautious about checking his car for bombs.

Stephen Carroll they had no way of knowing his religion. They made a fake police call and a sniper murdered him from a distance when they arrived.

There have been several attacks planned against targets where they'd have no way of knowing the individals involved.(rocket and bomb attacks on moving patrol cars etc)

This man was targeted because he was a prison officer. Whether there was a protest on or not his life would have been at risk. Militant republicans see any member of the security forces as a target.

The provos killed civillian contractors repairing army bases

They once even killed someone for handing out census forms and tried to justify it by claiming they were serving the British state.

This is the kind of mentality we are dealing with.

Given the summer that's in it and the background of the man I'd reckon we may well see a retaliation murder here.

When some unfortunate Catholic is found beaten to a bloody corpse by loyalists; the group who carried out this attack today will have to accept they are indirectly responsible for it.

Advertisement