Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer dies after shooting in Armagh.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

It's not that simple.
    If it were, then it would not have taken 30 years of The Troubles.
    There has always been collusion between the RUC and UVF/UDA, and the IRA and MI5. Less so now that The Troubles have ended, and the PSNI have replaced the RUC, but there is still collusion between dissidents and the Gardai, and collusion between the UVF and PSNI albeit on a much smaller scale.
    Who do you think controls the special forces like the SAS? When you have collusion between intelligence and terrorists, the terrorists would be informed of any attack by special forces.
    Dissidents are not always responsible for the killing of Prison Officers and Police Officers in the North. Sometimes it is because they have been compramised and are informants, either one way, or in both directions.
    A Prisoner Officer is not killed randomly in the North. There is a reason for it.
    During the Troubles the IRA even killed Catholics, and the UDA killed Protestants to fool their own people into retaliating. When a Prison Officer is killed in the North people always jump to the obvious conclusion that it was an execution by dissidents. Not always the case. It is just as likely that the execution was ordered by Loyalist inmates.
    What absolute nonsense. If any member of the security forces gets killed it is 95% + carried out by republican terrorists, but sure it's grand because they searched prisoners and cleaned their cells so entirely justified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Sympathies to the Black family.
    Those craven lowlife cowards who murdered him represent nothing but criminality, John Gilligan and his likes are more worthy of respect than those deviant so called republicans!

GRMA wrote: »
    You know what the craic is which I why I find it strange you've come out with that comment. Surely its more likely that this is because, as it was in the past, of what is going on in the jail rather than his religion?
    Republican terrorists have made it clear that any people from a catholic background will be viable targets if they work for the security forces. I thought this was common knowledge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Dissidents are not true Republicans. They are gangsters wrapped in a tricolour using the name of Republicanism to cover their acts of criminality.
    Gangsterism and racketeering has nothing to do with Republicanism. The profit dissidents make from taxing drug dealers, and racketeering pub and nightclubs does not go towards the Republican movement; it goes in their pockets.
    Republicans are political, not gangsters. The IRA ceased to operate. Anyone using that name now is a fake.
    Try telling that to Ronan Kerr Steven Carroll the 2 soldiers shot a few years ago or this lad today.

It's naive to think that all these dissidents have no interests in the political status of the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Surprised it took this long to happen. The authorities have been taking the piss with things in magaberry which made this a sad inevitability.

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't run it like portlaoise, perfectly safe and secure and you don't have this carry on.

Killing a prison officer is hardly going to lessen the intransigence though and is obviously not justified.

Very sad.
    Disgusting and offensive drivel, the ones responsible for this are the scum who murdered him, no-one else!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

gallag wrote: »
    Actually, if a prison officer gets killed it will in all likely hood be by republican terrorists. And born Catholic means to be born into that community. These scum think if you are from a catholic community you are a legitimate target for that reason only.

As a unionist I am glad that we are working or way towards equal representation in the security forces as it will reduce the risk of people receiving a poor service due to their religion, and if I or my family are in trouble and need to avail of their services I will not care if it's a catholic or protestant helping me, I will just be grateful for the help.

Scary to see some try to justify this ****, these people could try not getting put into prison if they don't want to be treated like prisoners and their continuing disrespect for life makes me sure they are in the right place, I don't care what side they are from, if they think killing our security forces is the way forward then we should be in agreement that their is no place for them in our society.

A Prison Officer in the North is not killed for no reason.
    When a Prison Officer treats the inmates of the prison in an inhumane way, then this is the risk he takes. The risk of paying with is life for his act of inhumanity.
    This has nothing to do with dissidents or Republicanism. This is about the conditions in Maghaberry prison and the way the prisoners are treated by Prison Officers.
    I don't agree with shooting Prison Officers. I don't agree with treating prison inmates in an inhumane way either.
    The Prison Officer made a mistake, and he paid the price. Simple.
    Conditions in Maghberry will change as a result, and the way inmates are treated by the Prisoner Officers will change as a result.
    Like I said before, Prisoner Officers are not killed for no reason.

Just a quick apology for describing these scum as republican terrorists, they are of course not republican, I accept that most true republicans are working towards their goals in piece and probably hate these dissidents as much as I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When a Prison Officer treats the inmates of the prison in an inhumane way, then this is the risk he takes. The risk of paying with is life for his act of inhumanity.
    This has nothing to do with dissidents or Republicanism. This is about the conditions in Maghaberry prison and the way the prisoners are treated by Prison Officers.
    I don't agree with shooting Prison Officers. I don't agree with treating prison inmates in an inhumane way either.
    Conditions in Maghberry will change as a result, and the way inmates are treated by the Prisoner Officers will change as a result.

Can you explain how they are treated inhumanly?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i agree with you
    to some extent
    but their are lunatics out their that would react on the smallest of things
    so he could of done something to actually get killed
    or he probably done nothing but an immate saw it as something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

What mistake did the Prison Officer make? I haven't had a chance to read the new reports yet to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

goodness there is some rubbish being talked in this thread, if the prisoners cant do the time dont do the crime.
    dont go in and then compliain, you deserve to be in there for the crimes you commited.

R.I.P to the deceased

Try telling that to Ronan Kerr Steven Carroll the 2 soldiers shot a few years ago or this lad today.

It's naive to think that all these dissidents have no interests in the political status of the north.

I do not condone the killing of Kerr or the soldiers.
    Republicanism has moved on from The Troubles, it is no longer a terrorist movement; it is a political movement.
    Dissidents are not true Republicans. They are gangsters wrapped in a tricolour, using the Republican movement as a cover to justify their criminal actions.
    Taxing drug dealers is not the same as a war on drugs. Killing Prisoner Officers has nothing to do with Republicanism, it is to do with inmates conditions in prison, and the way inmates are treated by Prison Officers.
    More political change has happened in the North since the ceasefire than any change that occurred during The Troubles by terrorism.
    Killing Prison Officers will not unite Ireland, so why would dissidents bother? Its because their aims are not political, or Republican.
    Dissidents are gangsters not Republicans.

And how do you know??? How can you slander the dead and paint him as a bad man deserving of his fate?? Mabel he just never done what he was told? And Mabel it was some scumbag dissident drug dealer that ordered this hit?

But no, it would have to be his own fault for getting shot. And how do these dissidents expect to be treated In prison? They probably expect to sit watching the tv and taking drugs all day and if anyone treats them like a prisioner they are being treated inhumanity ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

One can't be born Catholic.
    A baby is born with no religious views. They are indoctrinated by their parents, school, and church.
    One can be raised a Catholic, but this idea of being born Catholic is nonsense.
    Prison Officers in the North are not executed for no reason, least of all their religion.
    In Maghaberry there are as many Protestant prisoners as Catholic, as many Republicans and Loyalists.
    A prison officer who wrongs a Loyalist inmate is just as likely to be killed as one who wrongs a Republican inmate.
    Being Catholic or Protestant wont make you bullet proof.

An accident of birth then, being a Catholic working for Her Majesties Prison service or PSNI carries a risk of being targeted specifically. Its hardly a controversial thing to say.
    You know what the craic is which I why I find it strange you've come out with that comment. Surely its more likely that this is because, as it was in the past, of what is going on in the jail rather than his religion?

I find it strange that anybody would find that strange!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

And how do you know??? How can you slander the dead and paint him as a bad man deserving of his fate?? Mabel he just never done what he was told? And Mabel it was some scumbag dissident drug dealer that ordered this hit?

But no, it would have to be his own fault for getting shot. And how do these dissidents expect to be treated In prison? They probably expect to sit watching the tv and taking drugs all day and if anyone treats them like a prisioner they are being treated inhumanity ffs.

Seems your asking how this poster knows everything,maybe you could show evidence that every dissident and prisoner takes drugs?

I await your reply with substantial evidence to back it up.

Can you explain how they are treated inhumanly?

Let me Google that for you.
    Seriously, you want me to explain conditions in Maghaberry prison to you.
    Tell you what, watch the film; Hunger.
    You will get an idea of the conditions, and how inmates can be treated inhumanely.
    There is not such a difference in the H blocks of Long Kesh (The Maze), and Maghaberry.

Republicanism has moved on from The Troubles, it is no longer a terrorist movement; it is a political movement.
    Dissidents are not true Republicans. They are gangsters wrapped in a tricolour, using the Republican movement as a cover to justify their criminal actions.
    Taxing drug dealers is not the same as a war on drugs. Killing Prisoner Officers has nothing to do with Republicanism, it is to do with inmates conditions in prison, and the way inmates are treated by Prison Officers.
    More political change has happened in the North since the ceasefire than any change that occurred during The Troubles by terrorism.
    Killing Prison Officers will not unite Ireland, so why would dissidents bother? Its because their aims are not political, or Republican.

I find it extremely odd that you ignore cases like Martin Corry and issues dissidents would have to murder a prison officer, but need no evidence whatsoever to insinuate it was the officers fault.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Administrators Posts: 53,567 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Prisoner cry about being treated inhumanely, so they respond by murdering someone. A fine demonstration of humanity by these low life scumbags, right enough. :rolleyes:

If you don't want to be treated like an animal then don't act like one. Don't engage in terrorism and don't end up in prison in the first place.

The attempts on this thread by people like 3GAINSBOROUGH to make it seem like this person was somehow responsible for their own murder is sick.

Any evidence that they tax drug dealers?

It's the usual misguided view of these groups which leads to continued needless killing.

K-9 wrote: »
    I find it extremely odd that you ignore cases like Martin Corry and issues dissidents would have to murder a prison officer, but need no evidence whatsoever to insinuate it was the officers fault.

You are being naive.
    What makes you so sure dissidents killed him? It is just as likely to be Loyalist inmates that ordered the execution.
    Both Loyalists and dissidents are involved in the same things. The issue is conditions in Maghaberry prison, and the inhimane way inmates are treated by Prison Officers. It is not a case of needing evidence, the conditions in Maghaberry speak for themselves. Its a moot point.
    When a Prison Officer in the North is killed, it is for a reason. In the case of Maghaberry, it is because the Prison Officers are treating the inmates in an inhumane way.
    I do not condone killing Prison Officers, but that is the reason why this has happended in this case.

• Advertisement

You are being naive.
    What makes you so sure dissidents killed him? It is just as likely to be Loyalist inmates that ordered the execution.
    Both Loyalists and dissidents are involved in the same things. The issue is conditions in Maghaberry prison, and the inhimane way inmates are treated by Prison Officers. It is not a case of needing evidence, the conditions in Maghaberry speak for themselves. Its a moot point.
    When a Prison Officer in the North is killed, it is for a reason. In the case of Maghaberry, it is because the Prison Officers are treating the inmates in an inhumane way.
    I do not condone killing Prison Officers, but that is the reason why this has happended in this case.

Again, you're trying to make out as if prison officers are partly to blame for this man being murdered.

Absolute rubbish. Apologist crap.

And for what it's worth, the car was burnt out in Kilwilke estate. If you have ever been to Kilwilke in Lurgan you will know that the chances of this being loyalists is zilch.

Seems your asking how this poster knows everything,maybe you could show evidence that every dissident and prisoner takes drugs?

I await your reply with substantial evidence to back it up.
    I did not say every dissident takes drugs, but the poster did say Thayer the dead officer made a mistake . Gotta ask if you are so fact and evidence driven then why did you jump on my post and not his?

You are being naive.

No, no, you are assuming I'm assuming that, you missed the start of my first post which said maybe you are right, I just offered a perfectly reasonable alternative which you want to dismiss for some strange reason.

Your posts are a bit all over the place on this thread, you don't respect the dissidents and regard them as drug dealers yet want them treated as special category prisoners seemingly. I can't really make out what your thinking is.

I did not say every dissident takes drugs, but the poster did say Thayer the dead officer made a mistake . Gotta ask if you are so fact and evidence driven then why did you jump on my post and not his?
    Because its pretty clear he has no evidence,whereas you don't seem to be posting things you made up out of thin air,but maybe I'm wrong.

awec wrote: »
    Prisoner cry about being treated inhumanely, so they respond by murdering someone. A fine demonstration of humanity by these low life scumbags, right enough. :rolleyes:

If you don't want to be treated like an animal then don't act like one. Don't engage in terrorism and don't end up in prison in the first place.

The attempts on this thread by people like 3GAINSBOROUGH to make it seem like this person was somehow responsible for their own murder is sick.

I don't condone the killing of Prison Officers.
    What I am saying is that Prison Officers in the North are not killed for no reason.
    When a Prison Officer treats an inmate in a prison in an inhumane way, then they are putting their life at risk.
    What happens is that Prison Officers are killed as a product of their actions, just as in this case.
    Then condition in that prison change, and the way the Prison Officers treat inmates change. That's the way it is, whether one agrees with it or not.
    When a Prison Officer is killed, changes happen.
    Its sad, but that is what it takes to draw attention to Maghaberry in the media and make a change.

Because its pretty clear he has no evidence,whereas you don't seem to be posting things you made up out of thin air,but maybe I'm wrong.
    All I did was question his statement of fact that this officer deserved to die for the way he was treating prisoners, I pointed out it could be a drug dealing dissident that ordered the hit.

Just a quick apology for describing these scum as republican terrorists, they are of course not republican, I accept that most true republicans are working towards their goals in piece and probably hate these dissidents as much as I do.

Agreed.
    Dissidents are not true Republicans, they are gangsters.
    True Republicans want change through political means not terrorism.
    Killing Prison Officers has nothing to do with the Republican movement.
    Killing a Prison Officer in the North is a product of inmates being treated in an inhumane way, and the conditions in Maghaberry.

I don't condone the killing of Prison Officers.
    What I am saying is that Prison Officers in the North are not killed for no reason.
    When a Prison Officer treats an inmate in a prison in an inhumane way, then they are putting their life at risk.
    What happens is that Prison Officers are killed as a product of their actions, just as in this case.
    Then condition in that prison change, and the way the Prison Officers treat inmates change. That's the way it is, whether one agrees with it or not.
    When a Prison Officer is killed, changes happen.
    Its sad, but that is what it takes to draw attention to Maghaberry in the media and make a change.
    There is no valid reason for murdering a prison officer. None. You apparently don't condone it but then try and make up excuses as to why it happened.

You are under the illusion that the prison officers actions were partly responsible for his murder.

That is apologist bullsh!t. An attempt to deflect responsibility from those who carried out this murder.

You are being naive.
    It's factually not as likely to be carried out by loyalists though, is it? It's also not going to be republicans and is 99% of the time it will be dissident republicans. You seem to be trying to justify this murder, also with the amount of watch groups and ombusman etc I doubt any prisoners are being treated inhumanity.

• Advertisement

It's factually not as likely to be carried out by loyalists though, is it? It's also not going to be republicans and is 99% of the time it will be dissident republicans. You seem to be trying to justify this murder, also with the amount of watch groups and ombusman etc I doubt any prisoners are being treated inhumanity.
    The car was burnt out in Kilwilke, this was republicans.

Car had southern plates too.

Advertisement