Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison officer dies after shooting in Armagh.

Options
  • 01-11-2012 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭

Source.

A man has been shot dead as he drove to work at Maghaberry high-security prison in Northern Ireland.

It is understood several shots were fired at the man's car
    It is believed he was a member of the Northern Ireland Prison Service.
    The PSNI said the victim was ambushed around 7.30am between the Lurgan and Portadown junctions of the M1 in Co Armagh.
    It is understood several shots were fired at the car, which careered off the road and crashed.
    When emergency services arrived at the scene they found the man dead inside the car.
    It is not clear if he died from gunshot wounds or from the impact of the crash.
    DUP MLA Paul Givan said the man was on his way to work at the Co Antrim prison at the time of the attack.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

That's terrible. :(

Sounds like there's probably a lot more to the story.

• Administrators Posts: 53,564 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Here's hoping the filth involved in this are caught and hauled before the courts. Lock them up and throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Prison officer must be a terrifying job, especially in a country like Ireland where there is hardly any protection or resources for them to avoid being blackmailed, threatened, etc.
    We have all heard how the druh trade in prisons is rife, and a huge percentage go into prison only to become addicted to drugs because the higher up scum threaten and bully them into it.

The prison officers are the same, theres a constant fear of family being treatened and themselves to smuggle in drugs.
    There have been quite a few cases where prison officers and even police in this country have been caught and convicted of smuggle thousands worth of drugs. Cornered and forced to do it some of the cases no doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Surprised it took this long to happen. The authorities have been taking the piss with things in magaberry which made this a sad inevitability.

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't run it like portlaoise, perfectly safe and secure and you don't have this carry on.

Killing a prison officer is hardly going to lessen the intransigence though and is obviously not justified.

Very sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Pensivepuca

Very disappointing.
    RIP

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,564 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

GRMA wrote: »
    Surprised it took this long to happen. The authorities have been taking the piss with things in magaberry which made this a sad inevitability.

For the life of me I don't understand why they don't run it like portlaoise, perfectly safe and secure and you don't have this carry on.

Killing a prison officer is hardly going to lessen the intransigence though and is obviously not justified.

Very sad.
    The amount of pant pissing that would be done by certain elements in the north if the army were posted to Maghaberry prison puts paid to that idea.

It must be an awful job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Once again another needless death.without dialogue these deaths will continue to happen.

It seems noone has learned anything from the 30 years of conflict up the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Just heard this on the news. Very sad indeed

Just heard he was a prison officer for 25 years.god knows how many enemies he could have had.

awec wrote: »
    The amount of pant pissing that would be done by certain elements in the north if the army were posted to Maghaberry prison puts paid to that idea.

It must be an awful job.
    You don't need soldiers to run the Republican wing properly

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

put the army in charge of the prisons
    any blackmails or threats can be dealth with then

saiint wrote: »
    fwiw prison officers in the north have guns, and training to use them.

What??

Seriously can you explain any of this idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭HeyThereDeliah

RIP

Thats scary stuff, Do we know if he was shot because of his job?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭3GAINSBOROUGH

A prison officer does not get shot dead for no reason.
    So many of you are not thinking about that.
    This was not a random killing. He was killed as payback for something he did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah that's alright so.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Maybe or it could be because he was born Catholic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe it was something he wouldn't do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Seriously bad idea IMO.

I hope the north isn't returning to its troubled past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The dissos could be under the impression that prison officers receive much lesspublic sympathy than other areas of law enforcement.

Judging by some of the comments on this thread, they could be right. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Possibly for doing his job properly and for what he is paid to do.
    These vermin would see a solid and fearless officer as an obstacle inside.

R.I.P

People need to read up on the situation in maghberry,this is an ongoing battle,and needs resolving to stop this happening again.

K-9 wrote: »

One can't be born Catholic.
    A baby is born with no religious views. They are indoctrinated by their parents, school, and church.
    One can be raised a Catholic, but this idea of being born Catholic is nonsense.
    Prison Officers in the North are not executed for no reason, least of all their religion.
    In Maghaberry there are as many Protestant prisoners as Catholic, as many Republicans and Loyalists.
    A prison officer who wrongs a Loyalist inmate is just as likely to be killed as one who wrongs a Republican inmate.
    Being Catholic or Protestant wont make you bullet proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I would like to see the dissidents taken out by special forces both sides of the border

I would like to see the dissidents taken out by special forces both sides of the border
    Yeah because the SAS, Loyalist/State murder squads etc did such a great job the last time, and no innocent people were hurt at all. Don't be daft.

Seems obvious that this was dissident republicans.

In case people dont know there have been dirty protests etc going on in the prison's republican wing because of strip searches - they would be beaten and strip searched multiple times a day for no reason. Recently this escalated, every so often the prison would clean the cells using very strong chemicals. It used to be left for a day or two for the fumes etc to dissipate, a month or so ago they started throwing prisoners back into the cells straight away which is obviously dangerous for the prisoners especially for the ones with asthma and the like. I'd say this is a response to that.

There's been a load of mad stuff going on in that prison (by both the prisoners and the prison officers). This was a predictable outcome which is why it is especially sad.

K-9 wrote: »
    You know what the craic is which I why I find it strange you've come out with that comment. Surely its more likely that this is because, as it was in the past, of what is going on in the jail rather than his religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

These looney nutters who call themselves "republicans" have to carry out these murders every now and then to keep the brainless hooligans who support them happy. A shocking waste of life.

It's not that simple.
    If it were, then it would not have taken 30 years of The Troubles.
    There has always been collusion between the RUC and UVF/UDA, and the IRA and MI5. Less so now that The Troubles have ended, and the PSNI have replaced the RUC, but there is still collusion between dissidents and the Gardai, and collusion between the UVF and PSNI albeit on a much smaller scale.
    Who do you think controls the special forces like the SAS? When you have collusion between intelligence and terrorists, the terrorists would be informed of any attack by special forces.
    Dissidents are not always responsible for the killing of Prison Officers and Police Officers in the North. Sometimes it is because they have been compramised and are informants, either one way, or in both directions.
    A Prisoner Officer is not killed randomly in the North. There is a reason for it.
    During the Troubles the IRA even killed Catholics, and the UDA killed Protestants to fool their own people into retaliating. When a Prison Officer is killed in the North people always jump to the obvious conclusion that it was an execution by dissidents. Not always the case. It is just as likely that the execution was ordered by Loyalist inmates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

One can't be born Catholic.
    A baby is born with no religious views. They are indoctrinated by their parents, school, and church.
    One can be raised a Catholic, but this idea of being born Catholic is nonsense.
    Prison Officers in the North are not executed for no reason, least of all their religion.
    In Maghaberry there are as many Protestant prisoners as Catholic, as many Republicans and Loyalists.
    A prison officer who wrongs a Loyalist inmate is just as likely to be killed as one who wrongs a Republican inmate.
    Being Catholic or Protestant wont make you bullet proof.
    Actually, if a prison officer gets killed it will in all likely hood be by republican terrorists. And born Catholic means to be born into that community. These scum think if you are from a catholic community you are a legitimate target for that reason only.

As a unionist I am glad that we are working or way towards equal representation in the security forces as it will reduce the risk of people receiving a poor service due to their religion, and if I or my family are in trouble and need to avail of their services I will not care if it's a catholic or protestant helping me, I will just be grateful for the help.

Scary to see some try to justify this ****, these people could try not getting put into prison if they don't want to be treated like prisoners and their continuing disrespect for life makes me sure they are in the right place, I don't care what side they are from, if they think killing our security forces is the way forward then we should be in agreement that their is no place for them in our society.

• Advertisement

These looney nutters who call themselves "republicans" have to carry out these murders every now and then to keep the brainless hooligans who support them happy. A shocking waste of life.

Dissidents are not true Republicans. They are gangsters wrapped in a tricolour using the name of Republicanism to cover their acts of criminality.
    Gangsterism and racketeering has nothing to do with Republicanism. The profit dissidents make from taxing drug dealers, and racketeering pub and nightclubs does not go towards the Republican movement; it goes in their pockets.
    Republicans are political, not gangsters. The IRA ceased to operate. Anyone using that name now is a fake.

Advertisement