Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you find boring?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭_petulia_

Ellsbells wrote: »
    I have to say soccer just bores the brain out of me... Cant see why people get so excited about it when they cant play it...

Chess bores me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Nothing bores me more than maths. The business section of the newspaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

People telling me about their dreams. ("it was so weird, cos Mrs. Timmins from primary school was there - isn't that mad? But it wasn't really her you know, cos it was kind of my dad. And we were in this house, but then suddenly it was like we were in Spain. And you turned up but you had this MAD dress on and you were on a horse....zzzzzzzz"

People describing a house/dress/room that I haven't seen to me. ("you walk in and there's a door on the right, when you go in that door there's a fireplace right in front of you, and there's a bathroom off that....zzzzzzz")

People talking about diets ("I know you might think that's the healthier option, but did you know it actually has more fat? I know, amazing! Well a woman in work lost a stone by just breathing the fumes of coffee and eating coco pops for a month, but I've heard of this new diet where you....zzzzzzzz")

People talking about reality TV

People talking about their own office politics (when I don't know anyone involved)

So I guess it's mostly conversations that bore me....can't think of anything I do that bores me...except maybe housework. But it's more the idea of that that bores me. Once I get started, I actually find it OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Bf and I have fairly similar taste so we both watch soccer or F1 and ignore GAA. We don't watch soaps or the the Talafornias of this world but there is an odd movie I'd be bored with (Rocky comes to mind). I ignore gossip rags and tabloids so that is usually not a problem either.

I absuty dread being stuck at hairdressers for two hours plus and having to make small talk with somebody I don't really like or find interesting. It doesn't mean all hairdressers bore me, it's just that there is no escape when one does. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭chickenbutt

Reality shows. Game shows. Certain sports, like golf and NFL. Chick lit/flicks. Window shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Kooli wrote: »
    People telling me about their dreams. ("it was so weird, cos Mrs. Timmins from primary school was there - isn't that mad? But it wasn't really her you know, cos it was kind of my dad. And we were in this house, but then suddenly it was like we were in Spain. And you turned up but you had this MAD dress on and you were on a horse....zzzzzzzz"

Lol, I wish there was a yawning emoticon because this bores me rigid as well.

Also, while I'm really interested in people I'm not particularly interested in the inane minutae of day-to-day life regaled to me by people I'm not particularly interested in. To give you an idea, I used to share a house with a girl who used to literally wait for me in the hall to come home from work and would come out with something like this:

"SoIthendecidedtogoforacoffee,whichwasmyusuallattewithtwosugardsbutthen,justasIwasabout
    toputthesugarin,IgottothinkingthatIreallyshouldbemindfuloftype2diabeteswhichofcourse
    isafirstworldhealthproblem.SoIreallygaveitsomethoughtbutthenI'dbeconcernedabout
    thenegativeeffectsofaspartameaswellasI'vereadallkindsofbadstuffaboutthat.SoinhtheendIdecided
    nottosweetenthecoffeeatallandwhileIwassittingtherethinkingshouldIbuyapaper....

This give you some idea? :eek: Why is that often the most boring people are the ones who feel compelled to talk non stop!? Grrr! Rant over! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Merkin wrote: »
    Also, while I'm really interested in people I'm not particularly interested in the inane minutae of day-to-day life regaled to me by people I'm not particularly interested in.

Yeah, totally get that.

Interestingly I recently mentioned a health issue that I didnt even know was a health issue to my doctor and she was like 'how long has this been going on?', 'years', 'why didnt you say it before?' - and the honest answer was this: I dont discuss every minute detail of the human experience with people. If I experience something, I assume that other people do too, and if it was a big deal I may have already heard of it through conversations or tv - otherwise I assume its just part of the normal human experience and it happens everyone from time to time.

She was surprised - which led me to believe that maybe other people do discuss every tiny thing they are going through!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

She was surprised - which led me to believe that maybe other people do discuss every tiny thing they are going through!

I'm the same, I don't feel the need to purge myself of everything I do or everything I've encountered.

This verbal diahorrea is in turn then nurtured through social media. I am honestly astounded by the frequency of some status updates AND what people choose to post.

OMG lolz, I've just been for a poo. Que twenty likes followed by thirty reply posts OMG, that happened me yesterday..... :confused:

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Just thought of another two- people who drone on and on about either:

a) food- and I don't mean talking about recipes or whatever, I mean people who go on about WW points and calories and all that. I've no issue with people doing whatever they like to be healthy, but we don't all need to know about it.

b) the gym- I like going to the gym, although I don't get as much time to go as I'd like. But people who post on facebook about their kettlebell classes or how long they spent spinning or the distance they ran- I don't care. Fair play to you, but again, just get on with it yourself.

I'd have to agree also on the children thing. I really hope some day to have children but I also really hope I know when to shut the eff up about them too. Having children is undoubtedly an amazing thing- but also people do it every day. There's nothing unique or different about it. By all means love and be proud of your children- but remember that everyone else doesn't have to.

Actually I suppose I just get bored in general by people who go on about things in their lives that the general public don't really need to know about. I'm quite a private person though so maybe that's just my issue- I just can't really understand people who share a lot about themselves and I automatically want to switch off around them.

People who post nothing but pictures of their children on Facebook bore me silly. Im not interested in seeing pictures of your kids in my newsfeed daily. I dont find your kid puking on someone or something cute. I find it gross. I have unsubscribed from anyone I know who does this.

I also unsubscribe instantly when they replace their profile picture with a picture of their kids.

I wonder if there is a way of seeing all the people on your friends list that you have unsubscribed from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Very recently I've found everything to be boring, even things I used to enjoy. It's like I've forgotten how to be anything but bored.

I can't sit through a Tv show or a movie as I've no attention span. I can't finish books because I get bored before I even get halfway through. I never cared for celebrities or gossip. Never cared for any sports. I bought a few videogames (something I used to be really into) and can't be bothered with them. I find my college course dull. When I'm out with people I keep secretly checking the time so I know how long it is til I can leave without seeming rude. And work of course.

I find people boring to talk to because aside from the above there's not much else to talk about and I'm rubbish at small talk anyway.

Only thing I enjoy these days is lie ins and day-dreaming. I'm starting to wonder if this is all adult life is, getting through the day so you can get to bed lol. I wish I could hibernate for 6 months or something and awake to find everything fascinating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Being in the company of drunk people when you're stone cold sober. There's nothing that comes close to being as boring. Not even Jersey Shore.

Sitting through any kind of supposedly 'deep' conversation among the inebriated, whilst sober, has got to be the most boring thing ever. And thats before they get to the I REALLY love YOU!'s.

Old ones talking about their cats funny little personalities are a close second. And God. God is boring. And endless repeating old Fr. Ted jokes, or quoting lines from movies.

All reality TV shows, but especially Dragons Den/Shark Tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Giselle wrote: »
    Being in the company of drunk people when you're stone cold sober. There's nothing that comes close to being as boring. Not even Jersey Shore.

Sitting through any kind of supposedly 'deep' conversation among the inebriated, whilst sober, has got to be the most boring thing ever. And thats before they get to the I REALLY love YOU!'s.

Old ones talking about their cats funny little personalities are a close second. And God. God is boring. And endless repeating old Fr. Ted jokes, or quoting lines from movies.

All reality TV shows, but especially Dragons Den/Shark Tank.

Uh, that's just OLD people talking about their cats are boring, just to be clear :P

Waiting for a flight to board. So boring....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Sports, ditto. Reality television, dieting and doing anything to do with IT skills and computing other than web surfing and Tumblring.

McChubbin wrote: »
    ...Tumblring.

I dont even know what this means!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭shrewd

I dont even know what this means!!!

http://www.tumblr.com/

shrewd wrote: »

Ah.... I dont really understand the point of that kind of thing, same for twitter, pinterest, etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Sport I like doing/playing, but sport on TV... holy moly. There is nothing more boring on this planet. The awful droning sound of it.

People going on about calories in this that and the next thing. Change the record, you're putting me off my lunch.

Gossip mags, soaps, the lives of people I have never met. Zzz.

Quackery. Cranial osteopathy reiki voodoo cured my neighbours zits blah blah blah.

Love twitter, pinterest and tumblr though. :D
    I don't tweet, but I watch what is trending, and some stuff like foreign politics not covered by mainstream news.
    Pinterest and tumblr, a lot of junk, people repeating the same tripe, but also some treasure troves of inspirational images for art, landscaping, photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pwurple wrote: »
    Quackery. Cranial osteopathy reiki voodoo cured my neighbours zits blah blah blah.

Oh, Christ! That bores the hell out of me too because there's just no telling them and they often take your lack of interest to mean that they should tell you more about it or tell you about Mrs O Reilly's piles that the doctor missed but were successfully diagnosed by a traveller at a carnival.

After reading this thread though, I think I must be rather boring. I work in IT and play GAA. I have lots of other boring interests but I don't read the gossip mags though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

I find it boring when I have nothing to do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement