Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you find boring?

Options
  • 30-10-2012 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

I have to say soccer just bores the brain out of me... Cant see why people get so excited about it when they cant play it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

Sport! All of the sport! Would happily live in a world without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Soaps. Chick lit. Fashion magazines.

Things that oodles of other people find riveting. Much as I absolutely adore rugby and cooking, whereas some people find both stultifying.

This is going to turn into one of those ridiculous one-upmanship threads. What's the point of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Housework :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tomtomhardy

Work :eek:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Office politics. I have no stomach for it in my own workplace, it's even worse listening to other people talking about factions and allegiances in theirs.

I also zone out on some of the more detailed tech conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Sport! All of the sport! Would happily live in a world without it.

That's mad, ALL sport? Even swimming, cycling, running- stuff we can almost all do? Or is it the competitions that bore you rather than the actual activities? I have to admit in fairness though that things like golf and cricket can be a bit boring to watch- fun to try yourself though! Actually being bad at them is half the fun cos there's no pressure.

But I would have thought that seeing the joy that Katie Taylor's win brought to the country would have proven that the world is a much better place because of sport's existence. Besides the health benefits, it really brings people together.

As mentioned by someone else already, housework bores me. Gardening really bores me. Although to be honest, once I have my friends around me, I'll give most things a go and knock a bit of craic out of it.

Definitely office politics or stupid arguments between colleagues bother me too though- unless it's a massive deal I'd rather just get on with things- the way some people linger with disputes bores me to death. Life is too short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Celebrity gossip, no I dont care X is riding Y while Z is pregnant with blahhhhhh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

krudler wrote: »
    Celebrity gossip, no I dont care X is riding Y while Z is pregnant with blahhhhhh.
    Z is pregnant? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

All sports bore me also :p

Mostly what bores me is people who know you have no interest in a topic but insist on talking about it anyway. Or people who talk about themselves a lot.

Or people who go into too much detail. I remember asking a colleague before what she did on her trip to London, and she gave me a hour by hour account of every day, where they eat, what they ate, the moods they were in! She is just a boring person in general!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

People who can't stop talking about their boyfriend/ girlfriend. It really makes it seem like they have nothing else going on in their lives whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Or people who go into too much detail. I remember asking a colleague before what she did on her trip to London, and she gave me a hour by hour account of every day, where they eat, what they ate, the moods they were in! She is just a boring person in general!

I bet you'd complain though if they only gave you a one word answer. :D

I find certain sports very boring to watch, golf and soccer for an example. I don't understand how people can sit there for hours looking at a TV screen watching it when usually nothing really interested happens.

Another thing I find boring is talk about the economy. I'm not stupid, I know what's going on. I just don't like conversations about it where people feel the need to give their insight into how it can be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I find it's the people rather than the topics are boring :D I can't think of much subject matter that would really bore me if I was discussing it with someone witty or sarcastic or fun or smart.

Except soaps. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

people who talk about children like ALL the time. nobody cares.

people who talk about children like ALL the time. nobody cares.

I bet if you ever find yourself pregnant you'll do just the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

Then you have permission to kick me in the face (over the internet of course).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

I have a new baba and dont cos I had to listen to other people drone on for years and know how monotonous it is. People really need to understand that their kids are only interesting to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

Religious debate, while it's a super intersting subject it's nearly impossible to have a rational debate about religion with someone who's very religious (in my experience), just leads to the same old points being repeated over and over while they have their fingers stuck in their ears. But then on the other side of the coin if you're talking to someone who doesn't believe then there is no debate....no win situation really.

Also like 99.9% of interactions I have where casual talk about the weather is involved, although it can be hard to think of anything else that's "safe" enough to talk about with a stranger.....ah well

Ellsbells wrote: »
    I have a new baba and dont cos I had to listen to other people drone on for years and know how monotonous it is. People really need to understand that their kids are only interesting to themselves.

But see here's the thing. I know you have a child. I don't know you in person so how else would I know that other than you talking about it online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chimpokomon

But see here's the thing. I know you have a child. I don't know you in person so how else would I know that other than you talking about it online?

Because there's a difference between occasiohnally mentioning something and droning on about it?

Because there's a difference between occasiohnally mentioning something and droning on about it?

Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

I hate not being busy. The summer holidays from college bore me to tears. Nine months of the year I'm going between college, work, home and my friends. I love the activity of it.

Yeah I complain about being tired and stressed sometimes, and I give out about never having much time to myself. But in all honesty I couldn't sit around all day doing nothing; I would go stir crazy within a week if I had to leave college and go on the dole.

So yeah, too much free time bores me. A day off once a week would be nice if I could get it, but I wouldn't know myself if I had one :pac:

Ilyana wrote: »
    I hate not being busy. The summer holidays from college bore me to tears. Nine months of the year I'm going between college, work, home and my friends. I love the activity of it.

Yeah I complain about being tired and stressed sometimes, and I give out about never having much time to myself. But in all honesty I couldn't sit around all day doing nothing; I would go stir crazy within a week if I had to leave college and go on the dole.

So yeah, too much free time bores me. A day off once a week would be nice if I could get it, but I wouldn't know myself if I had one :pac:

you can work my job where I get barely 3 weeks off a year if you want :p

krudler wrote: »
    you can work my job where I get barely 3 weeks off a year if you want :p

I nearly would! If I could take one week off every four months I'd be happy out. This year so far I've had one week off both work and college, and I was itching to get back to normal afterwards. It took me three days to wind down in the first place!

Viper_JB wrote: »
    Religious debate, while it's a super intersting subject it's nearly impossible to have a rational debate about religion with someone who's very religious (in my experience), just leads to the same old points being repeated over and over while they have their fingers stuck in their ears. But then on the other side of the coin if you're talking to someone who doesn't believe then there is no debate....no win situation really.

Also like 99.9% of interactions I have where casual talk about the weather is involved, although it can be hard to think of anything else that's "safe" enough to talk about with a stranger.....ah well

This, you try have a intelligent discussion or debate and someone can't even explain why they believe in something, or look into what exactly it is they're supposed to believe in or question it in any way. Thats not rational. sorry but "cos that's the why" isnt a valid argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Talking about the weather. It's understandable when there's extremes, like a heatwave or loads of snow etc. But some people start every conversation commenting on the weather ... I don't get it, it is what it is, like! :/

Ironing. Most godawful mind-numbingly boring job in the world, ever. I really do hate it.

I love housework :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Name dropping and people who go on about nothing but their social life - I know a few people who talk about nothing but the VIP areas of certain nightclubs, how much tjey dropped on a round, and it just bores me to tears.

Like people who are obsessed material and superficial things - how they look, what they have and keeping up with the jones'. It does nothing for me.

Talking about the weather. It's understandable when there's extremes, like a heatwave or loads of snow etc. But some people start every conversation commenting on the weather ... I don't get it, it is what it is, like! :/

Ironing. Most godawful mind-numbingly boring job in the world, ever. I really do hate it.

Very close today isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

All sports, TV shows, most movies etc.

I don't mind doing house work, scrubbing, washing clothes/dishes, cleaning, hoovering etc, but I hate, absolutely hate ironing. You couldn't pay me to do it.

• Advertisement

Toast4532 wrote: »
    All sports, TV shows, most movies etc.

I don't mind doing house work, scrubbing, washing clothes/dishes, cleaning, hoovering etc, but I hate, absolutely hate ironing. You couldn't pay me to do it.

What, surely there's some tv and movies you like. TV is mostly dross these days but there are some great shows on.

Advertisement