Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you find boring?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

facebook and people who are obsessed with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

All sport, most telly, peoples kids - yikes - that was too easy!!

People who have no interests. I have a sister in law who has no interests. She seems to exist only to ferry her son to and from his various millions of activities. Ive known her since before she had her child though and she had no interests then either. In 10 years all I have gleaned is that she likes wine and westlife. Genuinely - she seems to dismiss or disagree with any topic Ive ever tried to engage her on and she has a completely different worldview to me so I find her outlook alien as well. She bores me senseless and Id rather eat my own kidney than spend time alone with her. But I dont dislike her - strange though that sounds!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Computer games or anything along those lines. Mind numbing. And football.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

All sport, most telly, peoples kids - yikes - that was too easy!!

People who have no interests. I have a sister in law who has no interests. She seems to exist only to ferry her son to and from his various millions of activities. Ive known her since before she had her child though and she had no interests then either. In 10 years all I have gleaned is that she likes wine and westlife. Genuinely - she seems to dismiss or disagree with any topic Ive ever tried to engage her on and she has a completely different worldview to me so I find her outlook alien as well. She bores me senseless and Id rather eat my own kidney than spend time alone with her. But I dont dislike her - strange though that sounds!!

I couldnt imagine being like that, not into books or music or sport or tv or cinema or some kind of activity to do outside of work to occupy your time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

krudler wrote: »
    you can work my job where I get barely 3 weeks off a year if you want :p

Or mine :D
    I couldnt imagine being like that, not into books or music or sport or tv or cinema or some kind of activity to do outside of work to occupy your time.

Same here, With travelling due to work I spend a lot of time away from home and can't have any "time bound" hobbies where I'd have to be in x place at y time every week/month.

I do find soccer very dull, but enjoy most other sports, and remember the European Cup that Chelsea won (sorry soccer fans) livening up an evening away due to work, simply sitting in a restaurant and enjoying everyone else getting absorbed in the match.

Not too into tv shows or movies (again travel is a factor) but I've other hobbies.

Children do bore me to tears, I've none though and no plans to have them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

What, surely there's some tv and movies you like. TV is mostly dross these days but there are some great shows on.
    The only 'tv show' I watch it fair city, even at that the only reason I watch it is because someone else in the house watches it.

I find tv shows so totally boring and false, I just cannot watch them.

There's a few movies I'll watch, not many though, I could probably count on one hand the amount I like.

Yeah its bizarre. I am aware that she thinks I am weird and has made derogatory remarks about some of my own interests, childish sort of remarks, trying to put down an interest in something intellectual or cultural.

I do accept that we have a very very different world view and no doubt my many and varied interests would be appallingly boring to her. But Id really love to figure out something she is interested in!!! Just one subject that we could converse on with any kind of depth.

Although some things bore me, many many many things interest me! I am never bored, I choose not to bore myself by watching rubbish on telly or televised sport but they are two tiny subjects in a whole wide world of interests!!

Toast4532 wrote: »
    The only 'tv show' I watch it fair city, even at that the only reason I watch it is because someone else in the house watches it.

I find tv shows so totally boring and false, I just cannot watch them.

There's a few movies I'll watch, not many though, I could probably count on one hand the amount I like.

Thats probably the worst example of tv you could give :pac:

what movies do you like? I'm curious

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Sport! All of the sport! Would happily live in a world without it.

Well, if I didn't already know your previous alias, then I certainly know now! :D

I hated art hour in primary school. Bored out of my tree. I couldn't sit down with a pen or colouring pencils and draw stuff.

Mass. 45 minutes of listening to pure drivel. (Only go now for special occasions. Couldn't willingly put myself through it otherwise)

Thats probably the worst example of tv you could give :pac:

what movies do you like? I'm curious
    I won't disagree :v

The Santa Claus, Hocus Pocus, Mamma Mia and Titanic are four that I like that I can name at the moment.

I have seen other films, but those three are three that I like, they are all that I can think of right now. :o

I've seen probably less than thirty movies in my life, including cinema trips, I'm in my early twenties. I've seen a few episodes of TBBT too, haven't watched it in a while though. I've seen about two or three episodes of Father Ted, I find it boring though, nothing funny about Father Ted, imo.

I should quite possibly be ashamed the amount of movies I've watched.

I dunno what it is, I just cannot sit down for a couple of hours and watch a movie, any time I go to the cinema, I am itching to leave after an hour or so.

My boyfriends has seen probably hundreds of movies and loads of TV shows too.

He watches Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, Walking Dead, Nikita, Big Bang Theory, Sons Of Anarchy, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, The Pacific, Band Of Brothers, Entourage, Homeland, Justified, Game Of Thrones, Breaking Bad, IT Crowd, Chuck, and The Wire, there's probably more that I've forgotten.

I won't even attempt to name the amount of films he has seen, the list would probably be endless.

I've seen a few episodes of TV shows the bf watches, found them OK, but again, I couldn't sit for hours and watch 5/6/7/8 episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Technology and celebrity gossip. Oh and any kind of discussion on pets. Zzzzzz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ilyana

GAA.

Why in the name of god anyone can find it entertaining - to watch, play or talk about - is beyond me.

Tell your boyfriend I heartily approve of his taste in tv :D there's some damn fine shows in there you should give them a watch, The Wire is probably the best tv show ever made.

I've been to the cinema, at a guess off the top of my head about 30 times so far this year, probably more than that. I love going on my days off, and just forgetting about the world for a few hours.

I dunno what it is, I just cannot sit down for a couple of hours and watch a movie, any time I go to the cinema, I am itching to leave after an hour or so.

Ive experienced this sometimes. Ill think 'oh Ill watch a movie' but then I wont want to commit the 2 hours or so!! I actually dont enjoy cinema seats for more than an hour and a half or so because I usually start getting a stiff lower back or a numb bum. Its different at home when you can flake out in comfort though, but I still find myself avoiding films from time to time. I think I have a limited attention span at times.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Celebrity gossip - who really gives a flying fcuk? Particularly hate the British tabloid type muck-raking gossip.

Reality TV

Chick flicks

The vast majority of magazines aimed at women

People with children who have no interests and no life outside of being a parent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

When I'm out in the pub and people take out their phones to show me the pictures they have taken, and then start zooming in and out of each picture to show me the slightest detail. And then they proceed to take a photo and upload it onto Facebook / twitter with a caption like "Having a Beer" That really bores me.

Ive experienced this sometimes. Ill think 'oh Ill watch a movie' but then I wont want to commit the 2 hours or so!! I actually dont enjoy cinema seats for more than an hour and a half or so because I usually start getting a stiff lower back or a numb bum. Its different at home when you can flake out in comfort though, but I still find myself avoiding films from time to time. I think I have a limited attention span at times.
    I get the numb bum too, the longest film I've seen was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, thinking of it now, I did actually enjoy that film. It was about three hours long though, god I thought I was going to die in the cinema that night lol.

I do watch movies at home too, usually if I'm flicking through the channels and become interested in a movie/show, I'll watch it, but I couldn't just decide to watch a movie and then sit there for two hours just sitting watching it.
    Tell your boyfriend I heartily approve of his taste in tv :D there's some damn fine shows in there you should give them a watch, The Wire is probably the best tv show ever made.

I've been to the cinema, at a guess off the top of my head about 30 times so far this year, probably more than that. I love going on my days off, and just forgetting about the world for a few hours.
    How do you do it? :D Are there any good films that you'd recommend watching? Nothing too long mind. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

If someone is talking passionatly about something I've no interest in it tends to hold my attention.
    However I find celebrity gossip, reality tv and any x-factor style show just holds no appeal to me.

I get the numb bum too, the longest film I've seen was Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, thinking of it now, I did actually enjoy that film. It was about three hours long though, god I thought I was going to die in the cinema that night lol.

I do watch movies at home too, usually if I'm flicking through the channels and become interested in a movie/show, I'll watch it, but I couldn't just decide to watch a movie and then sit there for two hours just sitting watching it.

How do you do it? :D Are there any good films that you'd recommend watching? Nothing too long mind. :D

Tinker Tailor is just over 2hrs lol, 127 mins according to google, thats pretty average for films.
    Think the longest film I've watched in one sitting is the extended cut of Return Of The King, which clocks in at an ass killing 263 minutes. thats almost 4.5 hours. But that involved a break, have often watched a marathon of films back to back, the Die Hard trilogy one christmas with my housemate at the time, we were pissed drunk by the middle of Die Hard 2 lol

recent films are usually pretty long, animated films are the way to go for short breezy 90 odd mins, watch How To Train Your Dragon, I'll eat my hat if you dont enjoy it, I havent met anyone yet who didn't.

Tinker Tailor is just over 2hrs lol, 127 mins according to google, thats pretty average for films.
    Think the longest film I've watched in one sitting is the extended cut of Return Of The King, which clocks in at an ass killing 263 minutes. thats almost 4.5 hours. But that involved a break, have often watched a marathon of films back to back, the Die Hard trilogy one christmas with my housemate at the time, we were pissed drunk by the middle of Die Hard 2 lol

recent films are usually pretty long, animated films are the way to go for short breezy 90 odd mins, watch How To Train Your Dragon, I'll eat my hat if you dont enjoy it, I havent met anyone yet who didn't.
    Maybe it was TTSS that was 3hrs long, we saw a few films in the cinema and one of them was about 3hrs, I thought it was TTSS, maybe I'm wrong though.

I don't know how you managed to watch a film for 4.5hrs, I would have left after abut two hours, I would not be able to stick 4.5hrs, not a hope of it.

I once fell asleep in the cinema (as a child), clearly the movie we went to see was boring, t'was the Spice Girls movie.......:pac:

Will give How to Train Your Dragon a shot so, will let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

oh the 4.5hrs film was at home, no way i'd stick the cinema that long either, I have gone to see more than one film in a day in the cinema but a good few hours apart. Here's one for you, the new cinema here in Limerick is showing all 5 Twilight movies back to back, thats five (terrible :pac: ) 2hr+ movies in one day. thats some serious ass numbing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Soap operas, dont watch any Coronation St/Eastenders or any of that other muck.

People who go on about beauty treatments - waxing/threading/lasering even facials, nails etc. I'm self servicing, haven't got the time or inclination for getting all that done to myself.

Fashion/Beauty magazines that further instill the idea that women need to be constantly primped/preened/waxed at all times and that it's a 'treat' to go to the beautician. No, most of the time I think it's a rip off and a waste of good time that could be spent doing something worthwhile.

Video games/gamers. Just don't get it.

James Bond films. Enough already with Skyfall overkill. And the repeats of the old ones. They're not particularly good films at all.

Soap operas, dont watch any Coronation St/Eastenders or any of that other muck.

People who go on about beauty treatments - waxing/threading/lasering even facials, nails etc. I'm self servicing, haven't got the time or inclination for getting all that done to myself.

Fashion/Beauty magazines that further instill the idea that women need to be constantly primped/preened/waxed at all times and that it's a 'treat' to go to the beautician. No, most of the time I think it's a rip off and a waste of good time that could be spent doing something worthwhile.

Video games/gamers. Just don't get it.

James Bond films. Enough already with Skyfall overkill. And the repeats of the old ones. They're not particularly good films at all.

Bigger industry than movies and music right now. I love games, always been a gamer since I was 6-7 years old and first started playing Mario and stuff on my NES. Will always love games and the craft that goes into them, from small indy games to big multimillion dollar titles, games have production values that rival and even exceed movies these days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I hated art hour in primary school. Bored out of my tree. I couldn't sit down with a pen or colouring pencils and draw stuff.

This. Very much so. I gave up Art as quick as possible. Reading fiction books or stories is very similarly boring to me.
    Ilyana wrote: »
    GAA.

Why in the name of god anyone can find it entertaining - to watch, play or talk about - is beyond me.

And this. Golf as well. Yet I'll be enthralled by a 5 day cricket match.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I will watch/play/try/read almost everything around. The only thing that I can say really bores/annoys me at the moment are the new spate of 'reality' shows that have popped up recently. "Geordie Shore", "Tallafornia" and "The Valleys".

I'll admit that I've never seen an episode of any of them but I know some people who like them with a passion, and they're clowns. As a result I've come to conclusion that the shows must be ****ing stupid as well.

That thing that everyone does with their hand, putting their thumb to their nose and wiggling their little finger, is ridiculous. Flick through photos on Facebook and you can play spot the retard. Unfortunately, it's pretty much everyone on it these days.

What has the world come to where the people from Geordie Shore are held up as 'legends'. In one year everyone will be bored of them and they'll be forgotten about. Thank god!!!

I don't know how anyone can find sport boring, especially soccer. Take the Arsenal match last night. As crazy a game as you'll ever see.

Watching a match and getting into a frenzy when your team score, or almost crying when they concede in the final minute, is addictive. You just keep coming back for more trauma or more delight.

Playing it is better. You're getting fit and you're playing some ball with friends, or complete strangers. What's not to love.

oh the 4.5hrs film was at home, no way i'd stick the cinema that long either, I have gone to see more than one film in a day in the cinema but a good few hours apart. Here's one for you, the new cinema here in Limerick is showing all 5 Twilight movies back to back, thats five (terrible :pac: ) 2hr+ movies in one day. thats some serious ass numbing
    10 hours+ of ass numbing? Ugh, no thanks. I read a bit of the the first Twilight book, yeah, not really my thing. I find reading boring in general though, much prefer watching the news on the TV or something.
    Ilyana wrote: »
    GAA.

I thought this too, then I started going to important GAA matches that my bf's team plays, it is exciting being there, esp when they score a goal/point etc, and then to see the players delight when they win.

Now, I wouldn't go to many matches, or go often, but I have enjoyed the matches I have gone too, and I would definitely go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Most sports, soap operas, chick lit, women's magazines (I prefer Home and Garden to Cosmo), chick flicks, anything like X-Factor, Britain's Got Whatever, a lot of gameshows.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Agree with these!

I also can't get the attraction in fashion. IF anyone wanted to torture me, they'd be successful in sending me to a fashion show.

Watching it now - dont usually go for animation that depicts people, but Im enjoying it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

waiting for a bus!!!!:rolleyes:

Advertisement