Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you meet your partner/boyfriend.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭ArtyC

Sunday session in a manky old man pub- I never was one for clubs, neither is he... Two years together and engaged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

i was 15 and he was friends with my friend who worked in the corner shop. I really fancied him but he had no interest. :(

That Christmas I was in a friends house and her sister made us a Baileys Coffee, first time I ever got drunk and I got very brave and text him how I really fancied him bla bla...

Didnt see him or hear from him for a few months. One day me and my friends were walking back from town and we passed him and his friends playing football. So brazen as we were, we sat down and watched them and eventually the banter started and we ended up having a game with them.

So went home that night, getting ready for bed and he text me "Howya" :D I was more delighted he still had my number saved! We arranged to meet up the following weekend, he bought me a mcflurry ;)

10 and half years later we are expecting our first child :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

I met mine during my dentistry classmate's debut party on a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was her boss ;)

Nearly 7 years later, I'm no longer the boss :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Boards .. honestly :) Best website ever just because of that :D Love you S****** xxxxx♥
    Amazing girlfriend :D Xxxxx♥

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My gf and I met at the birthday party of a friend. She was there with her cousin and didn't really know anyone else, but the cousin scored and left her with no one to talk to. I noticed her all alone and brought her into the kitchen and made her coffee to cheer her up. We sat up the whole night talking and really clicked. I walked her back to where she was staying and asked for her phone number so I could "text her to let her know I got home safe".

Over the next fortnight we texted a lot and met up in town but always had this awkward "where is this going?" vibe, so one day I said "I really like spending time with you, but I want us to be more than friends" and she laughed and said she felt the same, we kissed and 7.5 years later we're still together and planning our civil partnership :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Through my brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Dating site 9 years ago.
    We got married a few weeks ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Wow! Loadsa Boards couples!

I met mine in work. One of the girls in the job got the idea into her head from the very start, that we would suit each other so well and was constantly asking if I was into him. I used to always say no, and the truth if it is, I wasn't really interested in him, until we'd get chatting on nights out and stuff.
    On one night out when it was only us left, I made a move. That was nearly 4 years ago. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Through my old job. We both worked in the same organisation, but in different locations. Didn't have much contact while I was working there (other than the mass mails saying I need info... send me your info... get your demos to X location for Y event...) Actually I thought he was a bit of a sulk & I'm sure he thought I was a bossy cow. :rolleyes:

Last February at a mutual friend's party was the first time we briefly chatted & found out we're from the same county (neither of us has the accent). Only when I had leaving drinks last March & he showed up did we actually get talking & ended up hooking up. :D

Then I bumped into him again last December when I went to Xmas drinks for the old group. Pretty quickly we were chatting exclusively to each other. :) After I texted to *ahem* proposition him again, he said yes, we met up in January this year & ended up hanging out for 2 days (until I had to leave to go to work on Monday morning :mad: BOOO!) It felt like there was just an instant compatibility & it was so easy to hang out with each other. So now we're almost one year into the best relationship either of us has ever been in. I reckon we've about another 70 years to go. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭FayeRayRay

I met my bf nearly four years ago at a party, I was seeing someone else at the time. He showed an interest and vocalised his interest of several occasions i used to take it as a joke for the lad that he is!!! Little did I know that i would become single and out one night in D2 and walked over to him pecked him on the cheek and honestly the rest in history. Three years later were still going strong hasnt always been easy but nothing worthwhile ever is ...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 KingJo

Nice thread...gives me hope :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

through my ex :o We were all out one night and my now bf ran into my ex. We got talking and the rest is history...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

I met my wife at work.
    I traded her for a packet of green hunky dory and half a pack of polo mints.
    :D

I used to give a co-worker a lift home during the winter months as he had a young family and a motorbike. I saw him too often getting drenched and cars not seeing him on the road, so I offered him a lift.
    I used to have to go a few miles out of my way and battle through school run traffic after dropping him home before heading to my own place.
    Meanwhile, unknown to us, another co-worker lived just around the corner from him (the guy I gave the lift to) and he used to give another co-worker a lift to her place in Cork city centre.
    Eventually, I think I had to go home early one night, my passenger was stranded so the other guy offered him a lift.
    It was then that it was decided that if we just swapped passengers no one would be inconvenienced, as I would no longer have to go out of my way, and the others lived close by.
    So I started to give my future wife a lift home, no attraction, nothing, we were both sort of seeing others.
    I was out in Cork one night with some friends when someone came up talking to me, it took me a while to register that it was the quiet girl from work I gave a lift to.
    We chatted for a bit, but again nothing.
    We used to meet up a fair bit as we were both out a lot and eventually we started to go out as drinking buddies, she would do her thing, I would do mine.
    I used to stay over in her place as a crash pad it we were late out and it became more common for us to go home together than with others, and eventually the inevitable happened.
    We're together 8 years, married 5 years on the 14th, have 2 great boys 3.5 and 1.5.
    I still give her hunky dorys from time to time.:) (not a euphemism)
    I still have to drive her everywhere.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Roisin899

Through mutual friends. I called over to my friend's house randomly one night because I was bored. He called over later, dropping off one of the girl's boyfriends at the house, and called in for tea. We sat beside each other at the table and connected instantly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

A mate of mine was casually meeting a lady and he asked could he bring her to the house warming party I was throwing. I jokingly said he could but only if his lady friend brought along someone for me.

Met the women of my dreams that night and I'm gonna tell her that when I see her next.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Randy Shafter

We started off as friends first but I knew my gf for years through secondary school. We kind of lost contact when we started college. Then we got in contact again and started hanging out a lot; going to cinema together etc. It went from a friendship to something more and tbh, I couldn't be happier! Together 4 years with plenty more to come I'm sure! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 sarah42012

All these stories are so sweet, would love to have one to share!

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

when I was 15 my best friend was going to met this fella for the auld shift, and as you do when your 15 you have to being a friend along. This lad also brought a friend, ended up kissing the friend for 'something to do' and the rest is history. 11 years later me and the friend are planning our wedding :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jennifer Parker

Met him in a stadium (just before kick-off on a friday evening) when a mutual friend introduced him to me,
    he asked why the **** he was supposed to move his ass over and he was told because I was everything he was looking for... :D

after hours of chat and talk it turned out our friend was absolutely right (even though he wouldn't talk to my boyfriend for almost a year after we got together because somehow it turned out that he had a crush on me)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

Tag rugby and from the original gang of us, I know of at least four tag couples, two weddings and two tag babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

She saw me waving desperately, then helped me break in through the women's toilets window.
    More than that I'm not saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I first met him when I was 4. Our mothers were friends and he pushed me off a swing.

I never liked him after that. :)

Fast forward to my 18th birthday and I was in the pub with friends and he was there, he took a shine to one of my friends and was talking to me, trying to get me to introduce them when my very drunk friend came over and yelled at him "its her birthday buy her a drink". He had no money left so I ended up buying both of us a drink, to make up for it the following week he took me out on a date and it took off from there.

We're together 16 years now, got married 4 years ago and have 2 great kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Took up a new sport to get fit last January and he was the coach, we were both in long-term relationships at the time but over the course of a few months we both became single and started hanging out outside training, he was having tea at my house one evening and we just started having the shift, and the rest is (recent) history :) oh and I still train five times a week and am completely obsessed with competing in the sport, it's been a win win situation really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Cant believe so many met on boards............................How did this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

Met my boyfriend in first year of college. We were just friends for ages. I originally liked someone else but he turned out to be an ass. Then after a while I started to look at my friend in a different light. I had no idea how he felt so I said nothing for months. Eventually one night I got drunk and told his best friend (who was also in our class) that I had been pining for him for ages and he obviously spilled the beans.
    A few weeks later on my 19th birthday we kissed and we became official 2 weeks later. It's been 5 and a half years now. He moved in with me 7 months ago and we're planning for the future. I can't imagine being with anyone else. :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

molly09 wrote: »
    Cant believe so many met on boards............................How did this work?
    I was just wondering the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SteffingHell

Just out of a relationship.....this gives me hope, I'm a hopeless romantic... le siiiigh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

galwaybabe wrote: »
    I was just wondering the same thing

It's like online dating but you have all the platonic rapport without the pressure of peacocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

He was my good boards friend. Then I sent him some anonymous sexy messages on another site, and he quickly realised it was me :pac:

Advertisement