Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why would an Irish person wear a poppy ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Nodin wrote: »

...despite what they may have been doing or involved in. But you won't wear a lilly.

Lily is attached to the specific 1916 rising which I don't believe was fruitful or productive. The poppy commemorates the war dead on a more general level. It's worn in many countries not just Britain.

I don't need to support every war to wear one. I notice you've not responded to my previous question to you about the CofI and it's liturgical calendar acknowledging Remembrance Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

lukesmom wrote: »
    I take IRISH bank holidays. You do realise Britain have different dates of bank holidays dont you??? So that was a pretty pointless reply to my post.

It's a new variation on the usual

'I won't buy a poppy to support British service personnell'

'Ahh but HITLER'.

philologos wrote: »
    Lily is attached to the specific 1916 rising which I don't believe was fruitful or productive. The poppy commemorates the war dead on a more general level. It's worn in many countries not just Britain.

I don't need to support every war to wear one. I notice you've not responded to my previous question to you about the CofI and it's liturgical calendar acknowledging Remembrance Sunday.

Hiding behind a church cuts no ice with me. Its to remember all those dead in WW1, II and subsequent conflicts. If you think kicking Greeks, Asians and Africans around the place for the Empire was "fruitful or productive" there's little hope for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I take IRISH bank holidays. You do realise Britain have different dates of bank holidays dont you??? So that was a pretty pointless reply to my post.
    We share common days, and council staff can take bank hols & public hols are different. Not to mention the civil servants also take the Kings Bday & Empire Day hols

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

But you do realise that the tradition of "Bank Holidays" started in Britain in the 19th century, ergo it is a British tradition, one which the Irish copied some time later.

Your reply, therefore, is pointless....

• Advertisement

Hiding behind a church cuts no ice with me. Its to remember all those dead in WW1, II and subsequent conflicts. If you think kicking Greeks, Asians and Africans around the place for the Empire was "fruitful or productive" there's little hope for ye.

Can you answer my question as I asked a few pages ago?

Whats that to do with the discussion?

By the way earlier, if you recall, you stated

Do you have a source/sources to show that (a) the NGA was run by IRA members and (b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Do you have some proof, or will you do the decent thing and withdraw the allegations?

Wherever i lived as a child & thru life the sale of easter lillies was always stated by the sellers as being in support of the political prisoners & sinn fein.
    The NGA are a non party affilliated group.....except they are present at sinn fein & ira memorials & gatherings. They have associate members of sinn fein & ira but no other political party.
    Now, its a bit of an oxymoron, a bitter provo asking a citizen of Ireland to do the decent thing is it not?

Can you answer my question as I asked a few pages ago?

This?
    Are you saying by holding a Remembrance Sunday service in a CofI church every year that it is "projecting politics" onto their congregation, or is it just a time to remember the dead at war every year?

.....by having an official day to remember all those British service personell who died in WW1, II and subsequent conflicts, its putting one foot in the door of politics and acting as an agent of the state, IMO.

Lelantos wrote: »
    Wherever i lived as a child & thru life the sale of easter lillies was always stated by the sellers as being in support of the political prisoners & sinn fein.
    The NGA are a non party affilliated group.....except they are present at sinn fein & ira memorials & gatherings. They have associate members of sinn fein & ira but no other political party.
    Now, its a bit of an oxymoron, a bitter provo asking a citizen of Ireland to do the decent thing is it not?

Again, you seem to be confusing hearsay, guff and nonsense as proof. We'll try again. You said
    The NGA is a supposed non party affiliated organisation, but it was run by IRA members, so that wasn't true. The vast majority of sales went to Sinn Féin & other organizations.

Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

Do you have some proof, or will you do the decent thing and withdraw the allegations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Lelantos wrote: »
    Now, its a bit of an oxymoron, a bitter provo asking a citizen of Ireland to do the decent thing is it not?[/QUOTE]

Im not on the same side of this arguement as Nodin, but those comments were uncalled for!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It's a new variation on the usual

'I won't buy a poppy to support British service personnell'

'Ahh but HITLER'.

As opposed to

"Ill buy a poppy to help the families of injured and killed soldiers"

"ah but the black and tans"

Again, you seem to be confusing hearsay, guff and nonsense as proof. We'll try again. You said

Do you have a source/sources to show that

(a) the NGA was run by IRA members

(b) that the "vast majority" of monies raised went to "Sinn Fein & other organizations"?

So you will not take the word of your own Sinn Fein party members when they tell me where the money goes? Fair enough, shall I record our conversations over easter & send them to you.
    Perhaps if they don't wish to cooperate I could hit them about the knees with a baseball bat , ah! The good old days eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

summerskin wrote: »

But you do realise that the tradition of "Bank Holidays" started in Britain in the 19th century, ergo it is a British tradition, one which the Irish copied some time later.

Your reply, therefore, is pointless....

But you are insinuating that I am against all British traditions which I am not. This just happens to be a British tradition I don't follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

No chance would I wear a poppy. It's a British tradition and I'm republican Irish.
    But you are insinuating that I am against all British traditions which I am not. This just happens to be a British tradition I don't follow.

You should probably have made that clearer, as your first post would seem to imply that as an irish republican you would not follow any british traditions.

This?

.....by having an official day to remember all those British service personell who died in WW1, II and subsequent conflicts, its putting one foot in the door of politics and acting as an agent of the state, IMO.
    Then I can safely say that you know nothing about Remembrance Sunday services as they are generally done in the Church of Ireland.

To claim that the Church of Ireland is acting as the agent of Britain despite being disestablished in the 19th century is ridiculous.

MagicSean wrote: »
    As opposed to

"Ill buy a poppy to help the families of injured and killed soldiers"

"ah but the black and tans"

Really? Where have I used such an argument?

Then I can safely say that you know nothing about Remembrance Sunday services as they are generally done in the Church of Ireland.

To claim that the Church of Ireland is acting as the agent of Britain despite being disestablished in the 19th century is ridiculous.

Do you have a link to what the official COI line is in regard to that sunday, because the COE one is as I describe......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

summerskin wrote: »
    So do you not take Bank Holidays? They're a British tradition too.

No banks holidays in Ireland, public holidays you mean as described by the CAB.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/public_holidays_in_ireland.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Do you have a link to what the official COI line is in regard to that sunday, because the COE one is as I describe......

These might help? http://ireland.anglican.org/news/4308 next Link > http://ireland.anglican.org/news/2781

Most if not all C of I Churches hold the minutes silence, many have a full Remembrance service with a sermon to match, some also have a bugler to play the last post, plus many other variations of . . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Really? Where have I used such an argument?

Here?

Your whole argument is about the evils of the british army.

• Advertisement

MagicSean wrote: »
    Here?

Your whole argument is about the evils of the british army.

The evils of a colonial army, across the globe, post 1945, acting under direction or protection of the British government. Nothing so colluqial as the black and tans, or as dated.

LordSutch wrote: »
    These might help? http://ireland.anglican.org/news/4308 next Link > http://ireland.anglican.org/news/2781

Most if not all C of I Churches hold the minutes silence, many have a full Remembrance service with a sermon to match, some also have a bugler to play the last post, plus many other variations of . . . .

Ty, but that doesn't really say "Each year COI holds services on Remembrance Sunday to (specifically what)" if you follow me. The only protestants I know are ex-protestant atheists and have no more of a bogs notion than I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

No chance would I wear a poppy. It's a British tradition and I'm republican Irish.

So is football, but i bet you wouldnt have an issue wearing one of their football clubs shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    So is football, but i bet you wouldnt have an issue wearing one of their football clubs shirts.

While reading the 'Irish' Daily Mail/Star/Sun etc., knocking back a pint of John Smiths and eating Walkers crisps. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

While reading the 'Irish' Daily Mail/Star/Sun etc., knocking back a pint of John Smiths and eating Walkers crisps. :D

Or dancing like a loony at the darts ;)

http://youtu.be/jvu6Gq3XtM0

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Walkers crisps are kind of crap... KP barbecue flavour hula hoops on the other hand.... ;)

I wouldn't have a problem with wearing a poppy, however I don't as I'm not aware of anyone selling them in my locality atm, not that I'm aware of anyway. Relatives of mine fought in the British army in WW1 and 2, I don't see an issue with a display of respect for them.

...which of course confuses objections to imperialism with some form of talibanesque fundamentalism. And were somebody to actually boycott everything British, you wouldn't be here congratulating them.

...which of course confuses objections to imperialism with some form of talibanesque fundamentalism. And were somebody to actually boycott everything British, you wouldn't be here congratulating them.

He has a point actually. By buying those things or consuming them the profits essentially go to Britain. Then they are taxed according to corporate tax, and their workers are taxed income tax, which in turn goes in some part to fund Britain's Ministry of Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

GRMA wrote: »
    We owe a bigger debt to the Russians for destroying Nazism. If this was really about the debt we owe to people who stopped Nazism people wouldn't wear a British nationalist symbol which only remembers British soldiers - of all generations, from WW1 till now.
    i dont know why a irishman is in praise of russia,stalin hated ireland as natz lovers, and would not let them take their place on the worlds stage for over 10 years after the war,every year those british seamen who took part[and are still alive]are invited to the USSR in memory of those who died on the russian convoys,all wear poppies including russian hosts,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i noticed to-day it has been announced that fine gael TD frank feighens will be wearing the poppy emblem in the chamber,last time it was worn was 16 years ago by three TDs

Advertisement