Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What personality trait do you dislike?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

krudler please don't bring stuff from other threads/take little digs at people. It's not on. Thanks. As ever PM if you have an issue with this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

People who encourage others who are too optimistic or too trusting. I think it really is people not having a back bone to be honest about something.

There was a girl I went to school with. Not the sharpest tool in the box. Wanted to do something in college that was 500+ points. There wasn't a hope she would get that but her friends would always say 'yeh go for it, you'll defiantly get it'. I just find that cruel.

Or people who think they are good singers. Apply for xfactor and the likes with their families supporting even though the families know that they are horrendous singers.

I know people say that negativity is a personality trait that they don't like but in the above situations I don't think a bit of honesty, even if it came across as negative would have been a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Snobbery - people who turn their nose up at certain things, like where you're from, the upbringing you had, where you went to school, what car you drive. What gives you the right to judge what kind of person I am based on these irrelevant things you know about me?

Passive Aggressiveness - if you have a problem, just say it, no need to make snide roundabout comments to make it known you're mad, but won't say it.

Arrogance - I just hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭risteardb

Someone who thinks their good looks will get them every where in life...... Also people who crave attention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

I'm trying to learn to be a more accepting person, I'm finding it very difficult still :( but equally I enjoy the challenge of trying to be a better person.
    Five years ago you wouldn't have seen me in the company of many female friends, other than those I worked or did business with, I couldn't tolerate being amongst a group of women. I didn't like the lack of trustworthyness, the backstabbing, two faced nature that seemed to be a normal part of female gatherings. I'm quiter by nature and probably a bit too sensitive for my own good and found loud, attention seeking women triggered my stress levels to ulcerification degrees. :)
    I'm used to the company of men, especially during down tools time and it's a more familiar sedate and calming pace of life and consequently couldn't keep up to speed when it came to needing a competitive edge when hanging around with women.
    I failed to understand the gender dynamics and flirtations (head games) women played and mostly felt like I had been left here by an alien race without an instruction manual.
    I'm getting better at it now though and in learning to accept my own flaws, have developed greater tolerance for others. Just about ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Sparklygirl

ashers22 wrote: »
    I'm trying to learn to be a more accepting person, I'm finding it very difficult still :( but equally I enjoy the challenge of trying to be a better person.
    Five years ago you wouldn't have seen me in the company of many female friends, other than those I worked or did business with, I couldn't tolerate being amongst a group of women. I didn't like the lack of trustworthyness, the backstabbing, two faced nature that seemed to be a normal part of female gatherings. I'm quiter by nature and probably a bit too sensitive for my own good and found loud, attention seeking women triggered my stress levels to ulcerification degrees. :)
    I'm used to the company of men, especially during down tools time and it's a more familiar sedate and calming pace of life and consequently couldn't keep up to speed when it came to needing a competitive edge when hanging around with women.
    I failed to understand the gender dynamics and flirtations (head games) women played and mostly felt like I had been left here by an alien race without an instruction manual.
    I'm getting better at it now though and in learning to accept my own flaws, have developed greater tolerance for others. Just about ;)

I think you are hanging around with some strange women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭ashers22

I think you are hanging around with some strange women.
    I would thank your post if I could but I'm not in the system long enough and you wouldn't be the first person to make that remark. I have like a super human ability which makes me irresistible to them.
    (I think I know why that might be though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I don't like when people are constantly moaning about their state of affairs but do absolutely nothing to change them (when there is something they can do about it, of course). It seems to me they just like to give out about things.

I also really dislike the inability to be punctual. I know that seems silly, but it has been ingrained into my whole family that being on time is not negotiable. If we agree to meet at 7pm and you don't show up until twenty or half past without a good reason (or calling ahead), you're telling me that you don't think my time is as important as yours. Everyone underestimates traffic or misses a bus from time to time, but I know a few people who are late to everything (dinners in restaurants, family parties, gigs...) and it smacks of disrespect to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I hate when someone is clearly delighting in someone's misfortune.
    Also when someone goes on about how badly behaved someone's child is, or what someone's teenager has been up to. I always maintain that you never know what your own "little darling" will get up to next. Best to stay quiet!!
    I hate the type that has to know something about everyone, they feel they have one over on them, and get a power trip out of it.
    People that dismiss others beliefs, just because they don't share them.
    Attention seeking.
    Arrogance.
    Bad manners.
    Rudeness.
    Those who don't engage their brain, before opening their mouth.
    People who say they'll do something, then wriggle out of it at the last minute, with a silly excuse that you can see right through. Why not just say no in the first place?
    Couples on Facebook, posting away to each other. You know they are in the same room, so nauseating. This probably isn't a personality trait, but it annoys me so much:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 syjg18

I hate those with the loud voice, cruelty and those who are arrogant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

73Cat wrote: »
    Also when someone goes on about how badly behaved someone's child is, or what someone's teenager has been up to. I always maintain that you never know what your own "little darling" will get up to next. Best to stay quiet!!

Personal experience of something like this. A few months after my dad died (my sister and I were in our early teens) my auntie took my mum aside and told her she wasn't doing a good enough job of raising us (we weren't out gallivanting or drinking in the fields or anything, we were just sad) and she needed to do a better job.

Same auntie's daughter was pregnant at 15 a few years later after being allowed to go to overnight parties whenever she wanted and hang around with kids who were known for drinking and doing drugs.

OT - I also really dislike falseness. I don't need you to be interested in my day or what I did at the weekend. Society can function just fine if we acknowledge we are not friends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I don't know about traits

I just take a liking or disliking to people...i don't know why

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭CatEyed92

Bad manners

Cowards aka weasels

Followers aka sheep

Forward people - the type who impose their company on you and talk at you despite knowing you are not engaging with them - yet they continue

Bragging

Tactless

Ugh.. I had a horrible two years of public transport ^^ and life in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I just take a liking or disliking to people...i don't know why

Probably because of their traits?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Domineering, bossy people who think their way is the only way, who when you tell a story feel it's ok to tell you what you should have done, what you should do, where you should go, and even sometimes how you should feel/think. I find it's mostly women I meet that are like that.
    And nosy people, absolutely.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

One of my housemates copies everything that the rest of us do. It drives us UP THE WALLS. I noticed it at the very beginning of moving in with her but the girls didn't notice for a while. She now eats bagels because they do, buys the exact same brand and type of shampoo and conditioner as one of the girls and even has decided that she doesn't like certain foods because they don't. SO ANNOYING. I get that imitation can be a form of flattery but this is a whole other level.

It's also one of those traits that you wouldn't notice unless you live with somebody so my friends think I'm so petty for being annoyed about it :

Advertisement