Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What personality trait do you dislike?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Smart ass know it all b1tches that think they do in fact, know it all.
    Those that try and ram their opinion down your throat and think their opinion is the right one and are not open to anyone elses opinion.
    2 faced people that are all nice to your face and read you to the nearest person.
    Ignorant b1tches
    Snobs that look down on those that have less than them
    Liars
    Patronising people

Over-sensitiveness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I'm a male myself but I always found there to be many people in general comfortable bitching about people when they're not present.

Never been into talking about people behind their back myself, don't feel like joining in at all. Not my style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Boringness/lack of curiousity - I can't stand people who dismiss other people's hobbies, interests or passions as boring as if they're too worthy for them themselves. People are so varied in what they're into and what they find enjoyable and I think pretty much anything is interesting if it's presented in the right way. Sure, loads of people aren't very capable of explaining why their particular interest is so amazing but if you take the time to look into it there's going to be loads of interesting things about it. And this is across pretty much everything. There's so much out there, and what things usually lack is a good explanation or teacher rather than being simply boring themselves. I love running across people with different pastimes because you're almost guaranteed of finding out something new and interesting that you never would have imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Close-mindedness - Can be about all sorts of things from politics to fashion... And a bit like what Lyaiera said come to think of it. I don't drink so when I suggest to my friends that we spend a night at the cinema or playing some board game or whatever, and they want to go to a pub, some of them look at me like I have two heads... Which I don't :P

When people are constantly flirtatious

Pretentiousness

Arrogance... Often it's not totally obvious, until you're in a restaurant and they start giving shite to the server...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Roadtrippin

I can't stand when someone is arrogant, selfish, vain, cruel or insulting.

Another thing that I find unbearable is when someone never says what they actually mean and then just goes passive-aggressive to bring their point across instead. It's like walking on egg shells with people like that! All the drama and the second-guessing what went wrong this time! As you can tell by my little rant, I have some experience dealing with passive-aggressive drama queens myself. Hate that kind of carry-on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

There probably is a word for this, but it completely escapes me atm.

Buttt, people who are unwilling to accept other people's differences. Basically the cliquey bunch of girls you'd see in school who would only talk to you if you had similar interests in say, makeup or clothes, and just give off the impression you're not worthy to talk to them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Pretentiousness is a serious pet peave of mine, I just cannot stand the trait in a person.

Bitchiness, negativity, and selfishness. Utterly unattrative traits.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mariaalice wrote: »
    cynicism because it corrupts every aspect of the cynics life.

there is healthy cynicism though, people who float through life believing everything is sunshine and rainbows and can't see whats staring them in the face are just as annoying. Nothing wrong with having a level headed realistic take on things, but still being able to be optimistic about certain stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Pretentiousness, selfishness, insulting, over-sensitiveness, meanness, people who are judge mental.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Bitchiness, negativity, and selfishness. Utterly unattrative traits.

I can change T_T

People who stir up drama... no time or patience for drama. Let's all get on with our lives

bluewolf wrote: »
    I can change T_T

People who stir up drama... no time or patience for drama. Let's all get on with our lives

Drama, ugh yes, my biggest one. I have no time for it, some people thrive on stirring sh1t to make their own boring lives seem interesting. oh and couples who break up every weekend then are back together by midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

I forgot nastiness and drama too.

Arrogance
    Ugh
    It makes me want to puke.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Most negative personality traits I can come to some level of understanding with in an individual. I can see them as a reflection of the person's unhappiness etc. But there's something so draining about negativity.

We're going to try this new thing -- it'll never work
    I hurt my toe -- you might want to get that checked out, it could be toe cancer.
    Christmas bonus! -- wait and see, they'll find some other way of screwing us.

I used to work with a guy like this and I would be soooo tired by the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I agree with everything I've read so far on this thread.

Personally, sneakiness and stinginess are two awful traits. When I see them in a person I really can't have any respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

- Stinginess
    - Dishonesty
    - Don't know the adjective but people who are like "don't do that, what if so-and-so sees you?" or "we don't want them seeing you". My mam is like this and it really irritates me.
    - Nosiness
    - Negativity
    - People who make mountains out of molehills
    - People who just don't listen if they ask for advice
    - Bitchiness
    - Laziness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

Speling
    Cant stand people who dont spell right

Grammer
    People who dont got proper grammer drive me mad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

john47832 wrote: »
    Speling
    Cant stand people who dont spell right

Grammer
    People who dont got proper grammer drive me mad

Is it not grammar? Sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Hypocrites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Is it not grammar? Sorry :o
    It is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I think he was joking ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mods I know you don't like anon posts if there is no sensitive issues involved, but I can not log into my account right now because I suspect that my home network still has a virus, so I do not want to log into anything that contains passwords/emails in case there is a keylogger involved. But can you please let me vent in this post! If you like I will reveal my username within a week after I'm certain my laptop is clean, or you can just check it out for yourselves with your mod powers. :-)

1. Fakeness - Not sure if it's the right word?

I mean girls who are always like "hiya hunny/pet/chicken!!!" "you look fab!!" in a really really exaggerated over the top way. I know this might sound ridiculous , and people here might say that the people I'm talking about might just be nice very friendly people, but it's kinda hard for me to explain.
    There ARE lots of genuinely nice people I know who say things like this, and who are genuinely very friendly bubbly kinda loud people, but the ones I'm talking about are the people who are like over the top forced sweetness to everybody but you can tell that the beam plastered on their face isn't real because it doesn't reach the corners of their eyes, and if you watch them carefully will notice them roll their eyes or laugh and occasionally make a slightly bitchy comment when someone leaves, who only 2 seconds ago they were being really nice to and saying "hi hun how are ya keeping?!"
    I feel really really uneasy and uncomfortable around these types of people, because even if they are showering me in "niceness" I just don't trust them, and wonder what they say when I'm gone. And it's very hard to call them out because they always tend to be very popular people, and make bitchy comments under the guise of backhand compliments so it's hard to pinpoint something to call them out on without them being able to feign innocence.
    I am probably not making any sense here at all...

Basically some people are genuinely very bubbly nice people and you can tell they are.
    With some people it is very forced and fake, and you can also tell...
    I just tend to try and spend as little time as possible with these people.

2. My second one I have no idea what to call it, and I have only ever noticed it with women although men probably do it as well. Maybe I'll call it "playing the victim"

It's girls who do or say anything just to elicit sympathy from others (both men and women but especially from men.)
    They behave like a horrible person, or do something really really bad, but when they are called out on it, they turn it all around to make themselves look like the victim and that the person who has rightly given out to them for their behaviour is "picking on them" .
    Cue crocodile tears and "I'm just an innocent ickle girl act", "protect me and fight my battles for me" I just find it absolutely pathetic.

3. People who dumb themselves down intentionally for attention from the opposite sex.

4. Condescending/Patronising people. I hate people who assume I'm of lesser intelligence than them just because I happen to have blonde hair! I get this mostly from girls but occasionally from men too. "you wouldn't understand", "you've probably never heard of it", "I'm sure you would have no interest in this blondie hahaha". They usually shut up once they get to know me, or when I point out that they are completely wrong in whatever pseudo-intellectual nonsense they are spouting. They tend not to like that.
    I am definitely no genius and would never ever claim to be one, however I am studying a challenging biomedical degree which I'm doing very well in, I also have strong interests in zoology, astronomy, history, nature, psychology, and also enjoy an occasional philosophical conversation or watching a bit of sci-fi. :-) Now of course I am by no means an "expert" in any of these subjects, I just watch lots of documentaries and read books but have no problem admitting when I don't have a clue about a topic. For example I am useless when it comes to geographical locations, I might be able to tell you something about the country and it's people, but probably wouldn't be able to point it out on a map. I am also clueless when it comes to stock markets, have no idea how to read them or how they work really. As is evident from my first line, I'm unsure about how computer viruses work too. :-) There's lots I don't know and I'm always willing to listen and learn new information,so yes - not claiming to be a rocket scientist, but at the same time I an not a complete dope that you need to roll your eyes at, or speak to in a patronising tone treating me like an airhead. Boils my blood. I know someone will probably say that the fact that I care what others think about my intelligence proves I am insecure and that I should just ignore people who are patronising. You may be right, I just know that it really irritates me and I have to get them back in some way either by proving that I have some knowledge in the subject they are talking about, or else by making them look stupid. There's my own bad trait right there - I have a tendency to be spiteful to people who bug me instead of being "the bigger person"...

Thank you for giving me somewhere to vent! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

I cant stand negativity/confrontation or ignoring someone. I think its more mature to deal with problems and not let them linger!

Someone who is patronizing, bitter over the past or someone who is just plain disrespectful of others!

You never know what someone else has been through or experienced so its important to be respectful and just give people a chance sometimes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

For those complaining about bad spelling and grammar ... these are not personality traits. :confused:

The main traits I dislike are ...

Negativity and pessimism. I find it very draining to be around these sort of people. Life is just too short! Better to just expect the best, give every situation the benefit of the doubt. If it happens that way, great; if not, deal with it and move on and stay positive. :)

Helplessness and dependency. I just can't stand listening to people drone on and on about how awful and crappy their lives are, while never doing anything to change things. You only get one chance at life, no one else is going to do these things for you, like!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

For those complaining about bad spelling and grammar ... these are not personality traits. :confused:

The main traits I dislike are ...

Negativity and pessimism. I find it very draining to be around these sort of people. Life is just too short! Better to just expect the best, give every situation the benefit of the doubt. If it happens that way, great; if not, deal with it and move on and stay positive. :)

Helplessness and dependency. I just can't stand listening to people drone on and on about how awful and crappy their lives are, while never doing anything to change things. You only get one chance at life, no one else is going to do these things for you, like!

I totally agree with all of the above.
    My motto in life is 'Change your thoughts and you change your world'. Its been best thing i have ever heard and i swear by it. Just changing the way you think changes everything else that follows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

A bit negative isnt it? :D

- Stinginess
    - Dishonesty
    - Don't know the adjective but people who are like "don't do that, what if so-and-so sees you?" or "we don't want them seeing you". My mam is like this and it really irritates me.
    - Nosiness
    - Negativity
    - People who make mountains out of molehills
    - People who just don't listen if they ask for advice
    - Bitchiness
    - Laziness

Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Kayly

Boastfulness..
    people who constantly blow their own trumpet, praising themselves, and are incapable of feeling embarrassed/self conscious, while everyone else is cringing.

Advertisement