Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Nexus 10

Options
  • 27-10-2012 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭

Lots of leaks ahead of the Google/Android event on Monday - LG Nexus phone and 32GB Nexus 7 are well documented. It now looks like a Nexus 10, manufactured by Samsung, will definitely be announced as well. This will be a direct Android competitor to the iPad and looks like it might have the specs to put up a good fight.

10.1 inch screen
    Screen resolution of 2560x1600 with 299ppi
    2GB of RAM
    1.7GHz dual-core processor
    NFC
    5 megapixel camera
    16GB or 32GB storage both rumoured

The screen resolution in particular could be stunning - if they can better the retina display on the iPad then they'll really be in business.

Also, given Google's tactics with the Nexus 7 of selling at, near or even below cost, there is a possibility that this could undercut the iPad in terms of price.

Of course, all of the above is rumours and leaks - but it will be very interesting to see what is announced on Monday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The form factor of the Nexus 7 was what sold me, I'd had enough off 10 inch tablets but if they can get it out at the right price in time for Christmas it could be a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,078 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

What can we expect the phone to be like,much of a chaneldge for the s3 or hox?

Im in the market for a new phone and might hold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What can we expect the phone to be like,much of a chaneldge for the s3 or hox?

Im in the market for a new phone and might hold out.
    8GB and 16GB version
    But it has NO MicroSD card slot afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

The screen resolution in particular could be stunning - if they can better the retina display on the iPad then they'll really be in business.

Also, given Google's tactics with the Nexus 7 of selling at, near or even below cost, there is a possibility that this could undercut the iPad in terms of price.

A bit of a muted launch with the hurricane closing in on New York but this looks very interesting - better than iPad resolution confirmed and looks set to be €100 cheaper as well.

Perhaps finally an Android competitor to the iPad, I was all set on getting a 32GB Nexus 7 after the disappointing iPad mini launch last week, but this definitely has me interested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9641164/Google-Nexus-10-takes-on-Apple-iPad-and-iTunes.html

Screen
    10.055" diagonal at 2560 x 1600 pixel resolution for 300 ppi
    Corning(R) Gorilla(R) Glass 2

CPU: Dual-core A15

Cameras 5 MP (main) 1.9 MP (front)

NFC (Android Beam)

Memory
    32 GB internal storage (actual formatted capacity will be less)
    2 GB RAM

Connectivity
    Micro USB
    Micro HDMI

OS Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean)

Sensors

Microphone
    Accelerometer
    Compass
    Ambient light
    Gyroscope
    Barometer
    GPS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why are they going back to dual-core?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Google bough Motorolas tab/phone division yet none of these are being made by them? Makes you wonder why they did that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Really don't like the bezel on this, think I'd prefer the 7.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ballyman wrote: »
    Google bough Motorolas tab/phone division yet none of these are being made by them? Makes you wonder why they did that?

I was wondering the very same thing this morning. I don't really understand the whole Nexus concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ballyman wrote: »

They bought Motorola for their patent portfolio, Google where quite clear at the time of that purchase that they weren't going to interfere with the running of Motorola in anyway, nor were they going to exclusively use them for Android in anyway.
    I was wondering the very same thing this morning. I don't really understand the whole Nexus concept.

Nexus is about providing people with a marriage of core vanilla Android software and latest technology from manufacturing partners.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 GrahamG4

Here's a first look video. Obviously not putting it through much strain but it looks very responsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Any idea where the best & cheapest place would be to pick one of these up either online or in UK & Ireland stores??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

What's the story with getting one of these in Ireland? Do we have a price/ release date? My brother's 30th is coming up...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Does anyone know if the 10'' will be out in Ireland prior to xmas or is there any online store I could get one - they dont have it on Amazon (as far as I can tell)

Thanks

Iba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

At this point in time they seem to be completely sold out in the UK and it doesn't look as though they have been available at all in Ireland to date. Hopefully they become available this side of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

At this point in time they seem to be completely sold out in the UK and it doesn't look as though they have been available at all in Ireland to date. Hopefully they become available this side of Christmas.

Thank you

Yeah, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

In the US at the moment and hopefully have snagged a 32GB Nexus 10 as they came back into stock today. Had originally entered a US address for my CC details but amended that to my Irish address so fingers crossed it goes through!

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

madmoe wrote: »
    In the US at the moment and hopefully have snagged a 32GB Nexus 10 as they came back into stock today. Had originally entered a US address for my CC details but amended that to my Irish address so fingers crossed it goes through!

Cheers,
    M

Is that off the Play Store or BestBuy/Walmart etc? I wonder when/if the street retailers will have them in stock?

I hoping to snag one also from a street/online retailer and send it to a mate of mine who'll be back from Canada just in time for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Appears to be back in stock (for orders anyway) on the UK store at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

They do, but every time I try and order using TunnelBear it fails due to a "technical error"?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Sold out there for me.

EDIT: Actually showing up now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Pretty sure moto are making the next nexus phone.

This year LG, next year moto.

Keep all the partners happy I guess.

back on topic - fine res in the 10 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

flanzer wrote: »
    Is that off the Play Store or BestBuy/Walmart etc? I wonder when/if the street retailers will have them in stock?

I hoping to snag one also from a street/online retailer and send it to a mate of mine who'll be back from Canada just in time for Christmas

Are those the best places to pick one up in-store while State side?

I have a family member that will be in New York coming up to Christmas, seriously considering getting one or the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" model.

Also if anyone can confirm if they will be available in any US airports (or UK ones for that matter), that would be equally handy info.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭blobbie

Unlikely to be available in US Airports.

Their Duty Free electricals tend to be limited to a Best Buy vending machine or 2. Was the case in LAX, Logan and JFK recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

blobbie wrote: »
    Unlikely to be available in US Airports.

Their Duty Free electricals tend to be limited to a Best Buy vending machine or 2. Was the case in LAX, Logan and JFK recently.

Cheers, JFK was the one I was interested in...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

Has anyone on here ordered from the UK Play store? I got as far as creditcard details but it wouldnt take my visa as it is registered to an Irish address. Also tried a swirl card and no joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

beanian wrote: »
    Has anyone on here ordered from the UK Play store? I got as far as creditcard details but it wouldnt take my visa as it is registered to an Irish address. Also tried a swirl card and no joy :(
    Try register it with parcel motels address maybe?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Goddamn it, tried to order one of these today using the Parcelmotel address up north with a friends visa debit card (it is registered to an address in Scotland) but I got that technical issue message. I was using tunnelbear and all.

ffs google.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Seemed to accept my Irish Credit Card no problem here in the states....well so far anyhow! It's a MasterCard.

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement