Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads who are not interested in sport

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

awec wrote: »
    Running, cycling, swimming are all sports.

Clearly he has an interest in sport if he participates in at least 3 sporting activities surely. :confused:

Well, I suppose, he has an interest in staying fit. But he would never do any of the above in a group or competitively. He isnt interested in the sense that he would never talk about it or watch people doing it. Its just a means to an end.

I would have thought sporting activities involved some kind of competition factor? As opposed to just keeping fit activities? Maybe Im wrong.

I've absolutely no interest in sports if any kind. Never really been an issue once I left secondary school, back then I was looked on as being odd because I didn't follow the premiership but once you grow up few people care if you like sports or not. Sure being a fan of sports can make conversation easier and it can make meeting new people a hell of a lot easier but if it's the only thing you have to talk about with friends then your friendship won't last.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wouldn't have a huge interest in soccer apart from watching Ireland playing.

I have lost count of the number of times lads have told me they can't understand how I have little interest in soccer.

I would be a big hurling fan though and would go to most of the matches where Galway are playing and would be at every match where the local club are playing.

I also have a keen interest in watching MMA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fourth reference ; MMA!?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,510 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Fourth reference ; MMA!?

What about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

hard to trust a man not interested in sport

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

iDave wrote: »

:confused: seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I think having an obsessive interest in things is generally more of a male characteristic.

But I do find it odd that some interests are considered by people to be acceptable, while others are considered nerdy, sad, unmanly etc.

ie
    Interest in contemporary art - fine. Interest in Anime - nerdy
    Interest in cars - fine. Interest in trains - nerdy
    Interest in crime thrillers - fine. Interest in Sci Fi -nerdy
    Interest in sport - manly. Interest in dance - girly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Blisterman wrote: »
    I think having an obsessive interest in things is generally more of a male characteristic.

I disagree, women can just be obsessive with other things like fashion and celebrities etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

But I do find it odd that some interests are considered by people to be acceptable, while others are considered nerdy, sad, unmanly etc.

ie

http://www.theonion.com/articles/walking-sports-database-scorns-walking-scifi-datab,1442/

As a non-sports fan I've found a lot of the time if somebody wants to talk to you about sports they're going to keep talking to you about it anyway even if you don;t have a clue :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The only sports I have ever had any success at are golf and swimming. I also do a lot of strength training but have never gotten around to competing.

Anytime I attempted to play GAA, soccer or rugby I was crap at them but up to my early/mid twenties still took a big interest in them as a fan.

My fan interest in soccer has waned a lot as I've gotten older and more cynical. I now spend my time living my own life and working on my own fitness etc. rather than spending time watching soccer matches and living vicariously through sports stars.

When I started following soccer, top flight English clubs were not owned by multi billionaires and the average player earned 4 or 5 times the wage of the average worker. Now, the average top flight player earns 35+ times the wage of the average worker.

However, no matter how cynical I get and no matter how ridiculous the money gets I think I will always have some interest in watching pro golf and also F1 and other motor racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

ie

I just realised I must be very odd.
    I'm a young straight man with no interest in sports, I like cars but don't follow motorsport beyond watching (not a clue who's driving what)
    I am interested in trains, music, dance, musicals, cooking, cars.
    There's not many people who would have the phantom of the opera soundtrack playing in the background while changing a timing belt.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

iDave wrote: »

:rolleyes: And non drinkers too, I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

somefeen wrote: »
    There's not many people who would have the phantom of the opera soundtrack playing in the background while changing a timing belt.:pac:

I can do one better. I once listened to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack while in the gym!!!

What...it's a good soundtrack...:P :o

• Registered Users Posts: 22,275 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I can do one better. I once listened to the Phantom of the Opera soundtrack while in the gym!!!

What...it's a good soundtrack...:P :o
    The Iron Maiden phantom? Well, if it was good enough for Daley Thompson and Lucozade...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I enjoy getting exercise but watching almost all sports is boring and tedious to me. Sport as a cultural phenomon does interest me, I can understand why people play sports but the popularity of watching it is a bit more curious.

I find it's very very unusual to encounter people not interested in watching sports. Of the population of those not interested a healthy chunk appear to watch just to fit in/have something to talk to people about. Not following sports does make interacting with people hard so I can hardly blame them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think there's a sport out there for everyone. If you're not into football, hurling or soccer there are other sports you could throw a shot at like kayaking, swimming, running, and on and on.

The thing that annoys me is the lack of variety of sports here and there's a big chunk of people that don't like the typical GAA sports that are in school, and if they don't like that there's feck all else for them. In comparison, America is brilliant for all these diverse sports like track, hockey, swimming and all that. Here, we have SFA of variety or many options.

I like my hurling and rugby but always wanted to be an athlete and a sprinter/runner. Thing is though, there's not much of an emphasis on that sort of training, and where I was, there wasn't at all, so that's annoying when I had some promise that was recognised but I couldn't really utilise it.

I just think that if more options were given to children and teenagers in school that weren't into the sports offered that that would do a lot of good for people's health and enjoyment.
    Though I understand that it would probably never be very realistic or feasible to expect what they have over in America here, but it would be nice and could give people like the OP, who aren't into sport, a better chance of sparking some interest in it.

I have no interest whatsoever in competitive sport either. Playing or watching. I do give in and host parties in my house for "big" games in Rugby and football. Real crunch matches in the premiership for example, international games with Ireland in them, or the like. But generally I have lost interest in watching - especially with the culture of diving, invective, racial abuse on and off the pitch and more that is ruining the game.

I do capoeira and B-JJ but I do it rating myself against my own standards. I do not compete against others - though competitiion exists in both.

I try to better myself each day and I judge myself against my own standards from yesterday. I have no interest in judging my standards against that of others. So I play no competitive sports or enter into competition.

As to whether any of this makes me more or less "masculine" in the eyes of others - I am hard pushed to find much I care about less than the opinions of others on whether or not I am masculine or not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

No interest in sport at all, will admit I'd like to find an interesting way to get fit though.

It's never once been an issue for me outside of, quite frankly, people I couldn't be arsed having in my life anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭horsemaster

I seldom talk sports although I was an avid sportman in the past. I played football, rugby, and athletics and represented my university in them. But as I grow older, I have lost touch with these sports. I used to follow them but not any more. I don't even watch television much. I have hobbies that take a lot of time. I do go for regular walks and hit the gym when I have time but thats the extent of me and sports. A lot of folks around me talk so much about sports, that I know whats happening in the sports world without needing to watch tv. After a while, it gets boring and I move away to others who talk about something else.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Was not a big sports fan during my twenties but would say I have a passing interest now. I would go to Ireland football matches for example, not necessarily for the quality on offer but it is an excuse to meet friends who I don't see otherwise anymore.

Also I have found a basic knowledge of football is fairly essential if making small talk with guys you don't know. Every barber I ever went into has been football chat (they must have the same conversation 20 times a day :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nothing so boring as a man whose only conversation revolves around the over-paid primadonnas playing in the Premier League imo. It can cause a difficulty when starting in a new workplace etc. as so many men seem to be so emotionally stunted that the only thing they can discuss with other men is football.

I take an interest in Connacht Rugby but tbh, it's more a tribal affiliation than an appreciation of the finer points of the game. Would make an effort to watch at least some of the Irish international games too.

It's odd because my father was a complete sports nut when I was growing up. I tried supporting an English club for a few years in secondary school in an effort to fit in but I just couldn't bring myself to care about it all that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I have zero interest in sport especially English soccer . A bloke once told me I wasn't a real man because I had no interest in sport. I proved different to his daughter later on that night :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sleepy wrote: »
    Nothing so boring as a man whose only conversation revolves around the over-paid primadonnas playing in the Premier League imo. It can cause a difficulty when starting in a new workplace etc. as so many men seem to be so emotionally stunted that the only thing they can discuss with other men is football.

I take an interest in Connacht Rugby but tbh, it's more a tribal affiliation than an appreciation of the finer points of the game. Would make an effort to watch at least some of the Irish international games too.

It's odd because my father was a complete sports nut when I was growing up. I tried supporting an English club for a few years in secondary school in an effort to fit in but I just couldn't bring myself to care about it all that much.

Ha, that reminds me of growing up during the hey day of Irish football, around Italia '90 I did my best to pretend to care. It was actually hard being a kid who didn't back then!

These days I do notice there's no-one so boring as that guy who talks about nothing but sport, and he's always the first (and only) one who takes exception if you don't.

BTW if you honestly say "sorry, no interest in football" to barbers they have plenty of back up discussion. We usually end up talking about my band.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I'm the same. I have no interest in any sport. I am slightly partial to F1 now and again but they keeps changing the rules every year.

Strangely enough 3 or 4 of my work mates and 3 or 4 of my close circle of friends are not into football at all either. I hate the whole, did you see the game last night thing people say. I'm just like what game, and they just look at me and walk off. Or in the offlicense at the weekend buying some beers and I get the ,are off home to watch the game? I'm just no, I'm off home to chill out for the night and that's it.

But in saying that I have no interest in sport, I'm not into music, books, TV or cinema. I haven't really watched TV in 10 years or been to a cinema in about 5 years. Just nothing interests me and I can't get into anything.

Does wonders for my social life though as you can imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

somefeen wrote: »
    Where I work, there are five of us all male, only one has any interest in sport and we're all not exactly wilting violets either.
    I don't think its unusualy, I thought I was odd when I was growing up since I didn't have much interest in Soccer, GAA etc but I've realised its actually not that unusual.
    We all like cars though and I'd actually say a man with no interest in cars whatsoever is rarer than one with no interest in sport, but still not that unusual.
    But if you have no interest in either cars, sport or music then I'd say you are odd.

i have absolutly no interest in cars
    meaning i couldnt tell you what make a car is even if you showed me the car haha
    although i would be carefull to choose a car when buying one as i have to know if it runs well
    but im never interested in them
    love football however :D all types national and international
    hate rugby and i dont mind gaa but wouldnt follow it but id watch it if i was in the pub or if the dubs were playing :D
    dont play sports meself anymore though :D gone to lazy prefer to have a pint and a small bet going while watching people play it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

I'm the same. I have no interest in any sport. I am slightly partial to F1 now and again but they keeps changing the rules every year.

Strangely enough 3 or 4 of my work mates and 3 or 4 of my close circle of friends are not into football at all either. I hate the whole, did you see the game last night thing people say. I'm just like what game, and they just look at me and walk off. Or in the offlicense at the weekend buying some beers and I get the ,are off home to watch the game? I'm just no, I'm off home to chill out for the night and that's it.

But in saying that I have no interest in sport, I'm not into music, books, TV or cinema. I haven't really watched TV in 10 years or been to a cinema in about 5 years. Just nothing interests me and I can't get into anything.

Does wonders for my social life though as you can imagine.

please tell me your interested in playing the xbox or ps3 :d cause if not you really have no interest in anything in life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Are we talking about watching a sport or playing a sport? Because a lot of males do the former and not so many do the latter. I love participating in sport (soccer and MMA in particular) but I get bored watching them more than every so often, they don't occupy my brain nearly enough.

Oh, and watching high status males run around is an activity associated with low-status apes
    http://evolvify.com/the-hipsters-guide-to-scientifically-judging-sports-fans/
    Two studies in particular shed some light on fan mentality. First, a study from 1995 showed that some monkeys would rather be rewarded by the opportunity to watch videos of other monkeys than be rewarded with food (Andrews et al. 1995). Another showed that low-status monkeys are willing to pay (using their prized fruit juice as currency) to look at pictures of high-status males. Whereas high-status males won’t look at pictures of low-status males without being paid (Deaner et al. 2005).

Advertisement