Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads who are not interested in sport

Options
  • 27-10-2012 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

I don't know if its just within the groups of people I've talked to, but it appears to me some view a lack of interest in sport to be unusual for males.

I'm not sure if girls find it attractive if a guy plays on a team, is a marathon runner, or discusses football with his friends when drinking at a pub, but there is a certain amount of masculinity attached to it.

I appreciate that sports are good for keeping fit, and give some people a topic to talk about, but its never been my thing, and I am speaking from a male perspective.

Personally I've never really been that big into sports, I played athletics for a while in primary school, did P.E in primary and secondary, did a fair bit of swimming too, but I was never part of a competitive team, I would play soccer and basketball with friends just for the craic but that was it. I still do my bit to keep fit, I try to walk for at very least an hour every day, I'd never follow any sports, I'm more into sitcoms, anime, music that kind of thing and most of my friends prefer these outlets, which is cool too.

It may be because supporting a team (like Ireland) shows your loyal to your homeland, and because contact sports are associated with strength, but I don't see what there is to like beyond that.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You should probably be more concerned about what girls will think about when they find out you're a fan of Miley Cyrus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

karaokeman wrote: »
    I don't know if its just within the groups of people I've talked to, but it appears to me some view a lack of interest in sport to be unusual for males.

I'm not sure if girls find it attractive if a guy plays on a team, is a marathon runner, or discusses football with his friends when drinking at a pub, but there is a certain amount of masculinity attached to it.

I appreciate that sports are good for keeping fit, and give some people a topic to talk about, but its never been my thing, and I am speaking from a male perspective.

Personally I've never really been that big into sports, I played athletics for a while in primary school, did P.E in primary and secondary, did a fair bit of swimming too, but I was never part of a competitive team, I would play soccer and basketball with friends just for the craic but that was it. I still do my bit to keep fit, I try to walk for at very least an hour every day, I'd never follow any sports, I'm more into sitcoms, anime, music that kind of thing and most of my friends prefer these outlets, which is cool too.

It may be because supporting a team (like Ireland) shows your loyal to your homeland, and because contact sports are associated with strength, but I don't see what there is to like beyond that.

I'm interested in most sports except football. Most groups of lads fall back on football for small talk. Not knowing who Chelsea just signed or who West Ham's new manager is can make it hard to join the conversation with a new bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

karaokeman wrote: »

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

You should probably be more concerned about what girls will think about when they find out you're a fan of Miley Cyrus.

Irrelevant to the conversation, this is not a PI, I'm looking for a discussion from male and female perspectives on how lads uninterested in sports are viewed by society, in small groups, or even one person.

As I said I have a stable group of friends, whom many aren't sport fanatics, and the few who are respect that its not my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

The only sport I tend to follow is MMA which I also train and take part in. I've no idea of soccer or GAA outside big headline stories, but I don't find it makes a difference. I've enough other stuff to talk about with new people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I enjoy playing sports rather than watching them, I play football a lot but I'd rarely watch a full 90 minutes of it on tv.

And it's not because its associated with strength. It's because I enjoy the competition, training and improving my fitness and skill and that great feeling of knowing you played well and your team winning.
    Plus you're meeting like minded people and there is the added bonus that you'll be fitter and healthier, more confident in your appearance and look more appealing to the opposite sex.

I play video games and watch tv too but they don't really compare to physical competition IMO. I'd encourage people who don't play sports to try running, going to the gym or trying some sport because there's so many benefits from physical exercise.

But each to their own, I have friends who play and don't play sports so i don't judge either groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Played most sports growing up, football, rugby and GAA along with some handball and racquetball too. Always thought it very strange when a friend had no interest in sport but as I grew up and my social circle widened I realized it's not that strange or uncommon at all

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I enjoy playing sports rather than watching them, I play football a lot but I'd rarely watch a full 90 minutes of it on tv.

And it's not because its associated with strength. It's because I enjoy the competition, training and improving my fitness and skill and that great feeling of knowing you played well and your team winning.
    Plus you're meeting like minded people and there is the added bonus that you'll be fitter and healthier, more confident in your appearance and look more appealing to the opposite sex.

I play video games and watch tv too but they don't really compare to physical competition IMO. I'd encourage people who don't play sports to try running, going to the gym or trying some sport because there's so many benefits from physical exercise.

But each to their own, I have friends who play and don't play sports so i don't judge either groups.

+1, a good mate of mine plays lawn bowls :eek: however he's know more about the comings and goings in football.

I prefer to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

My OH has no serious interest in sport either. He keeps fit and watches national soccer games and follows rugby (more because I do than from his own volition I think :pac:). As a woman, I don´t find it strange/unattractive at all. It´s actually a blessing as I don´t have to listen to endless waffle about the english premiership or amuse myself while he watches ´the match´. Sometimes he finds it harder to make small talk with some men though.
    I don´t see sports as being a masculine thing.

• Administrators Posts: 53,672 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

a good mate of mine plays lawn bowls :eek:

Mother of god :eek:

And you're still friends with him? :confused: :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Mother of god :eek:

And you're still friends with him? :confused: :pac::pac:

Yes, he got me to try it once, far to slow paced for me tbh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Where I work, there are five of us all male, only one has any interest in sport and we're all not exactly wilting violets either.
    I don't think its unusualy, I thought I was odd when I was growing up since I didn't have much interest in Soccer, GAA etc but I've realised its actually not that unusual.
    We all like cars though and I'd actually say a man with no interest in cars whatsoever is rarer than one with no interest in sport, but still not that unusual.
    But if you have no interest in either cars, sport or music then I'd say you are odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

I've never met or heard of anyone who views this type of men as unmanly, unattractive or strange.

I was a football fanatic up til about 14/15. Then I completely lost interest.
    The only sport I'm into is really just boxing or going to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

My OH has no serious interest in sport either. He keeps fit and watches national soccer games and follows rugby (more because I do than from his own volition I think :pac:). As a woman, I don´t find it strange/unattractive at all. It´s actually a blessing as I don´t have to listen to endless waffle about the english premiership or amuse myself while he watches ´the match´. Sometimes he finds it harder to make small talk with some men though.
    I don´t see sports as being a masculine thing.

+1 on that.
    My OH was a guitarist in a band when I met him. That appealed to me far more than a sports nut. I'd much rather listen to him play guitar and talk about music than stand freezing on the sideline at a match and listen to team strategy talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

awec wrote: »
    Personally I'd say someone having no interest in any sport is rare. I would say most men have some level of interest in something.

My two brothers wouldn't have much interest in watching or playing sport, probably because my Dad has zero interest in it. My mother would watch GAA before my Dad would. She also still plays tennis and she's in her 60's. My Dad has other interests though - gardening and movies - being an extra in his spare time. He's defo still a manly man. No idea why he's not into sport. Boyfriends find it hard to find topics of conversation though. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think my brother has ever watched a sporting event, I've never thought twice about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Larianne wrote: »
    My two brothers wouldn't have much interest in watching or playing sport, probably because my Dad has zero interest in it. My mother would watch GAA before my Dad would. She also still plays tennis and she's in her 60's. My Dad has other interests though - gardening and movies - being an extra in his spare time. He's defo still a manly man. No idea why he's not into sport. Boyfriends find it hard to find topics of conversation though. :D

I've the opposite situation, Dad would watch all matches bar soccer but my boyfriend has zero interest in sport, absolutely none at all. Not into cars either actually, but I think it's great because I don't have to nod and smile and pretend to know/care about the premiership etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

No interest in sports whatsoever. I'd play a game of football with the lads for the craic but that's about the extent of it. On the other hand, I love the outdoors. Hillwalking and camping are what you'll find me at most of my free weekends. I think being able to survive comfortably outside is far manlier than chatting about the premier league! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As an aside, does anybody else find it a bit odd, having expressed no interest in the national football team, to be met with the old 'but you have to support Ireland. Why? You just do'?

From somebody who looks at you like you've two heads when you ask them about the recent performance of the national hockey team. Or even the ladies football team....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Female perspective here, and I wouldn't care if a guy had no interest in sport, although it is unusual. I know a few men who have no interest in, for example, football, but they would have interest in at least one other sport.
    endacl wrote: »
    As an aside, does anybody else find it a bit odd, having expressed no interest in the national football team, to be met with the old 'but you have to support Ireland. Why? You just do'?

From somebody who looks at you like you've two heads when you ask them about the recent performance of the national hockey team. Or even the ladies football team....

Why wouldn't you support your national team in any sport, be it the mens football, ladies football or hockey team?

I've little interest in hockey and wouldn't follow it, but if the Irish team did well in the Olympics in hockey, I'd be proud and would support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,279 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Female perspective here, and I wouldn't care if a guy had no interest in sport, although it is unusual. I know a few men who have no interest in, for example, football, but they would have interest in at least one other sport.

Why wouldn't you support your national team in any sport, be it the mens football, ladies football or hockey team?

I've little interest in hockey and wouldn't follow it, but if the Irish team did well in the Olympics in hockey, I'd be proud and would support them.
    Same here, more or less. It was a comment more on the presumed importance of football, based on nothing more that popularity. I must admit though, to having more regard for the achievements of say, a katie Taylor, than I ever would for a team if overpaid professionals who don't even seem to be interested in playing when wearing green.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

It would be unusual in that's not the norm but whenever I meet lads that don't like sports it makes no difference to me.

I've played a lot of sports for most of my life and always been into football but I actually don't like spending a lot of time talking about it. It's grand for a bit of small talk or banter but that's about it.

Some of the most boring people I know are those that can only relate to others through sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

I dont know any lads who have ZERO interest in sport.

Have to add that its very beneficial to play sport, you widen your social circles, make new friends and keep fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I love playing sports, but get bored watching most of them.

I run and go to the gym to keep fit, as well as playing astro football twice a week (when I'm not injured). I kinda tune into the football world at key points, such as euros, world cup and premiership season closing, but that's more to do with being surrounded by people who watch football the whole year around and it being hard to avoid.

I always found that keeping a conversation going when meeting new males tough, i.e. starting a new job, meeting girlfriend's friends, relatives, etc difficult because the topic of "did you see the match at xxx", which I politely respond no to and try moving onto something else. When people realise I'm from co Cork, they usually pass a comment like "jayz, ye did well at the weekend there". Did we? Thanks for telling me :confused:

I actively follow MMA though, which most of my friends don't. Maybe I just have bloodlust

• Registered Users Posts: 16,157 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I love watching sport, but not the usual suspects like Soccer, Golf, Rugby and Gambling (aka Horse racing). My sports are athletics, American football and cycling. It can make for awkward conversations on occasions. My wife feels lucky (sometimes). Many of her friends are golf or soccer 'widows'. I suppose we're an unusual couple. She doesn't care for soaps or reality TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

somefeen wrote: »
    But if you have no interest in either cars, sport or music then I'd say you are odd.
    I'd agree that most young (heterosexual) men probably fit into at least one of those sets, although I don't like to class people as odd.
    I noticed before that quite a lot of people in bands weren't too into sport - but it might simply have been a time thing growing up, as schools in Ireland I think tend to give a reasonable amount of homework so you can't do everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've no interest in most sports, I'd generally like NFL, ice hockey, mma but not in any fan capacity, most casual viewer/no affiliation with any particular team etc. dont watch GAA at all, have zero interest in soccer, like none, I literally couldnt name two people who play for Man Utd or Liverpool, ditto GAA. Rugby is ok I dont dislike but wouldnt watch a full game unless it was on and the housemate was watching it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I don't follow sports, but I do find it strange that if you can name actors in a movie or other movies they've been in, you'd be considered a movie geek but if you can name evey team a football player has played for or how many goals he's scored you're a fan.

Thing is I don't have an interest in sport or drinking so I've little in common with the majority of people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My husband has no interest in sport, any sport. He does run, cycle, swim, go to the gym etc... but he has no interest in watching any sports or participating in any team sports.

If I look back over past boyfriends, Ive never once dated someone with any level of interest in sport. Obviously that says more about me, its totally below my radar, I wouldnt recognise major sports people in tv advertisements for example. It just something that happens in the world that I am mostly unaware of, and Ive always dated people with a similar lack of interest.

Its interesting that people here say they would think a man with zero interest in sport is rare, it doesnt seem rare to me at all.

Advertisement