Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splitting South eastern hospitals

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Kilkenny - this is the Kilkenny forum, no? And I am not one of that majority.

Yes but he is the minister for the whole country, so he seems to be and should march to a different drum.

but I am confused by your post are you for or against the proposed break up?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Yes but he is the minister for the whole country, so he seems to be and should march to a different drum.

but I am confused by your post are you for or against the proposed break up?

I never supported the break-up. I always felt it would destroy the whole Southeast region which is already in weak situation with no University. If it works out the way Hogan wants it's good news for the region. Can't see some of the St Luke's people being too happy with him though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I didn't think KK people were for it? :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Thought so , yes I think when some minister eventually does the right thing none of us will be happy as there will be closures all over the country.
    We have too many hospitals trying to do too much.

Sully wrote: »

A lot of Kilkenny people don't want to end up possibly having to go to Dublin for treatment - especially older people. Too far -too crowded, too much hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,402 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sully wrote: »

I think most people were looking at the pros and cons of either route to be honest and keeping a pretty open mind.
    When the Carlow and Kilkenny consultants and GPs were/are with the Dublin plan I think a lot of people went along with that as they are at the people at the coal face so as to speak and (one would hope) have patient welfare and outcomes at heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Well what do you think of the news this morning, looks good for Lukes and he who cannot be mentioned, o'really. Will the consultants be in agreement.
    In truth Kilkenny needs a top notch unit as does Wexford and Waterford, we have for too long had to travel to Cork and dublin.
    Support Lukes and he who cannot be named.
    Time to look after our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Time to look after our own.

No, looking after our own is the counsellors' remit as locally elected representaives, TDs should act in the national interest and this parochial attitude is a big part of the reason why the place got so fucked up in the first place imo.

Sky King wrote: »
    No, looking after our own is the counsellors' remit as locally elected representaives, TDs should act in the national interest and this parochial attitude is a big part of the reason why the place got so fucked up in the first place imo.

But councillors have virtually no power. Local govt in Ireland has limited enough remit as things are quite centralised here.

Have to laugh at all the (usual and predictable) vitriol towards Hogan et al. An A&E unit in planning for years and sorely needed...I call that effective governance i.e. getting things done rather than pissing around for another 5 years waiting on yet another "expert" report.
    Ironically, it's often the same begrudgers that see the solution to their own area's ills as to "have a minster". But when it's in Kilkenny or any where else it dismissed as a parish pump effort.

come on lads the a&e was and is a dump, for once kilkenny has got something, how i care not, ever tried working in the conditions, bet you haven't.
    if big phil pulled a fast one, haven't we watched others do the same, i might even vote for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

It would seem he may indeed have pulled a fast one and if so he is a bloody disgrace in my opinion. It's this type of cute hoorism that has, to some extent, contributed to our economic mess and which certainly helps to destroy public confidence in our democracy. "Sure they're all at it, O'Donoghue looked after Kerry, Flynn did it for Mayo etc. and yippee now it's our turn to milk it" seems to be the mantra.

He was elected to our national legislature and subsequently appointed to a position in Government where he is expected to behave impartially in the national interest and in the interests of all citizens equally. What he has become since he got into Government, in my view, is a glorified Ballymagash councillor, nodding and winking, and revelling in the yahoos of parochial gob****es.

It would seem he may indeed have pulled a fast one and if so he is a bloody disgrace in my opinion. It's this type of cute hoorism that has, to some extent, contributed to our economic mess and which certainly helps to destroy public confidence in our democracy. "Sure they're all at it, O'Donoghue looked after Kerry, Flynn did it for Mayo etc. and yippee now it's our turn to milk it" seems to be the mantra.

He was elected to our national legislature and subsequently appointed to a position in Government where he is expected to behave impartially in the national interest and in the interests of all citizens equally. What he has become since he got into Government, in my view, is a glorified Ballymagash councillor, nodding and winking, and revelling in the yahoos of parochial gob****es.

Careful you don't fall over there on the high moral ground ;)

It is perhaps a very sad outcome of a poitical career, and your opinion is undoubtedly correct in every aspect, so much so no one could really argue other than being a bllokcs from another party.
    However, we live in a time of under-handed and dirty politics, where the man in the street who believes in integrity and honesty not only in himself but also those he elects to run the country, political beliefs are shattered by the actions of those who really should know better.
    The treachery stems from the top of the pile right down to the local elected people, so much so one can never tell if it is being done for the good of the majority or an elitist minority.
    Whilst you are so right, and until we can elect decent and up=standing representatives whose reputation is untainted by greed and power, it seems Kilkenny may well receive handouts which perhaps it shouldn't, but I hop[e you will at least agree the A&E is a disaster area and in this age we deserve at least somewhere decent to be treated for accidents and emergencies.
    I salute you and God bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It is perhaps a very sad outcome of a poitical career, and your opinion is undoubtedly correct in every aspect, so much so no one could really argue other than being a bllokcs from another party.
    However, we live in a time of under-handed and dirty politics, where the man in the street who believes in integrity and honesty not only in himself but also those he elects to run the country, political beliefs are shattered by the actions of those who really should know better.
    The treachery stems from the top of the pile right down to the local elected people, so much so one can never tell if it is being done for the good of the majority or an elitist minority.
    Whilst you are so right, and until we can elect decent and up=standing representatives whose reputation is untainted by greed and power, it seems Kilkenny may well receive handouts which perhaps it shouldn't, but I hop[e you will at least agree the A&E is a disaster area and in this age we deserve at least somewhere decent to be treated for accidents and emergencies.

I would rather the 10 million was kept keeping beds open so when you have been through A and E, whatever it looks like, you have a bed to go to.

Well Dooferoaks, no point having beds if you can't get through A&E, be fair. I understand the predicament, truth is we need as much as we can get by hook or crook for our hospital.
    You have to accept that being a politician is only a job, well paid with a diverse amount of kick-backs etc. One doesn't need any qualifications to get into the Dail, as a result we manage to elect quite a few dumbo's.
    In view of our Phil's somewhat lamentable showing, an opinion voiced openly, it is quite possible his term as a minister could be rather short lived.
    So if in this I'll scratch your back if you scratch min e political arena, Kilkenny gets given funding from the government purse, which we of course have topped up, why not accept it with good grace.
    It is very well being a person with high morals, but when others around you have their noses in the trough, until we get a new concept of government
    accept what is coming, in fact get as much out of the trough as possible.
    Long live the republic!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Scallion 'ater

For the record I'm not a member of any party, nor a strong supporter of any one party. I agree that A&E in Lukes badly needs this upgrade and it is certainly not before time. However, I strongly suspect that the low moral ground being adopted by most here, along the lines that politics is rotten anyway so let's milk it until it gets better, would contrast sharpely with the likely view if for example Naas or Waterford had been bumped up thanks to the political patronage of a local parish pumper who happens to be in Government.

What are we supposed to do, tell our Phil and the Reilly chappie we can't accept your gift of transforming our hospital, there might be more deserving cases.
    Will you look round in five or six years time when sitting in the A&E say we achieved keeping this old and crap place, we could have had a nice new, modern A&E but we took the high moral ground?
    Would you prefer the money to be wasted on some poxy museum or park?
    People must come first, Health is wealth, if Kilkenny can gain from the current political agenda, don't look a gift horse in the mouth, or today don't eat the burgers.
    Seriously politicians are human, they are in the job to make money, to do all they can to keep elected, you know that, the system has been in place for many years, no one has tried to alter it, have you?
    The political system is far from perfect, our elected representatives were held in high esteem, a miss conception as we did not know how underhanded the system was ans still is.
    I would suggest we go with it, and get all we can for St Lukes and the people who use it, do not begrudge the sick and injured to be treated in the best possible surroundings.
    Put away your prejudice, but I will take you one step further, how is this:-
    How about a brand new hospital on the old brewery site, St Lukes teaching or University hospital? Make Lukes the centre of excellence in the south East, not a vast sprawling affair, a high tower, we could call it the Hogan-Reilly tower perhaps.
    Just think of the expansion of business in our town, not just summer but all year, there is not an aspect that would not benefit from such a move.
    So what about the old St Lukes, St Lukes private.
    Think about it a living monument to society, maybe a dream, but dreams do come true.

For the record I'm not a member of any party, nor a strong supporter of any one party. I agree that A&E in Lukes badly needs this upgrade and it is certainly not before time. However, I strongly suspect that the low moral ground being adopted by most here, along the lines that politics is rotten anyway so let's milk it until it gets better, would contrast sharpely with the likely view if for example Naas or Waterford had been bumped up thanks to the political patronage of a local parish pumper who happens to be in Government.

Last time I checked this was the Kilkenny forum. It's where most people on this forum live and are directly concerned with.
    Similarly if there was investment in Naas or Waterford (which there has been over the years, hugely so) I sincerely doubt you'd find people on the Kildare or Waterford forums complaining. Nor would you hear here either, begrudgery is pathetic in a small country like Ireland.
    This is a non-story and manna from heaven for those that revel in Hogan bashing and Kilkenny bashing. It was and is Kilkenny's rightful turn (as you acknowledge the hospital needs an upgrade) for investment and no apologies need to be made for same. There has been a dearth of Government investment in Kilkenny for sometime.

Actually don't even see why the A&E upgrade is being discussed here as they are totally seperate issues but I guess that suits certain posters that would rather see St. Lukes closed and moved down to WRH.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

Apart from the politics that people are latching onto, the new A&E is badly needed. The last couple of posts are spot on. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The staff in Lukes' are trying to do the best they can in terrible conditions.

The A&E for instance serves 2 counties, Kilkenny & Carlow. This to me is a joke in itself, that the whole county of Carlow is without an A&E department. Anyway, the A&E in Lukes' has 5 bays. One of those is a cramped Resus area, and the other is an isolation bay. There are many more newer A&Es where one single Resus bay would be half the size of the whole existing department. The store and sluice room are nothing more than little anex rooms. The triage room is out by the waiting room. They have no Paeds room. They have nowhere to segregate families with children who are ill from the usual Saturday night casualties.

MAU is at the other side of the hospital in a glorified Portakabin. They have 1 isolation room and 5 bays. They have no Peads area. They are an overflow for the main hospital at times.

Does it matter if someone used a bit of pull? Does it matter if things have been sped up? This have been in the planning stages since at least 2007.......don't knock it guys, it's badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

It's important for long term health care that everybody in the South-East supports the campaign to keep WRH as a centre of excellence. Do we want to be pushed into already crowded Dublin & Cork hospitals.

261163_579498442077925_1122131613_q.jpgProtest March! Our Last Chance to Save our Regional Hospital Network
    Saturday, 23 February 2013 at 14:00

March To Save WRH From Downgrading @ Ballybricken

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭mydogjack

Max Powers wrote: »
    That kind of inaccurate gossip is silly, WRH performs brilliantly even with the near lowest per-patient financial support from state (see link). No cancer care in WRH even though it is designated a centre of excellence, dont you think getting onto the Min.Health about that would be a smarter course of action than spreading lies.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0226/health.html

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0816/468525-hiqa-hygiene-reports/

Now this is from HIQA, not "gossip", told you it was only a matter of time.

Advertisement