Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

Sully wrote: »
    I was wrong. I am glad that I was wrong and that they held themselves fairly well (bar the silly chanting). I was afraid it would not go peacefully. I am delighted that I was proven wrong.

If 15k didn't make a difference, then 15k to James Reily wouldn't either. Kilkenny made their choice and it was heading the way for sometime. John Deasy blames WRH consultants. God knows whose fault it is tbh.

As long as WRH remains as is, ill sleep easy.

you just had to get a dig in somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

So what's the problem for WIT? If there is nothing stopping them, why don't they just say to the Minister "Hey, thanks for the offer of an application process but no thanks. Nothing stopping us. We are now a Tech Uni. So yeah, give us all the money. Thanks!".

I didn't say there was nothing stopping them.I said there was nothing in legislation stopping them.This is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

nice_very wrote: »
    I wish this whole issue of WRH were a popularity contest or a way of getting one up on others, sadly it is not. People were told or advised or asked to stay away from WRH last friday. I will now paraphrase some of the comments made in this thread and on facebook, prior to last friday:

...advise people to not protest...

...gardai aware of the type of people attending..

..any protest will get messy...

...with their own agenda...

... peaceful, dignified, non political protest...

... after the protest we will say ''I told you so''... as in told you what would happen

Those who made such comments, in light of todays decision by kk hospital consultants, should now wake the fcuk up and realise that YOU were wrong, we had a chance to make a very big statement last friday with a public show of dissatisfaction, I am not talking about angry mob mentality, I am talking about in your face full on confrontation. I am not talking about violence, I am talking about legal disobedience. Where was the people power on friday last? sheets of paper with signatures? those of you who stayed away and allowed free passage to reilly? or those of us who have, and used, our voices and presence.

a caller/texter to wlr on wed morning supporting the delivery of shirts to Leinster house suggested: dump them all in front of the gates, and dont be so dignified this time.

I told you so.
    I told you so indeed. A massive opportunity missed - and now we're being asked to assemble in Santa Hats on Ballybricken on December 8th. This whole "gentle county" stuff really needs to stop or we will go under.

Interesting that a bunch of guys in suits made the decision for people in Kilkenny and the citizens didn't get a say. Now someone in, say, Slieverue, could have to travel to Dublin instead of WRH.

This Government has completely lost the plot. They are ten times worse than FF ever were.

I was wrong. I am glad that I was wrong and that they held themselves fairly well (bar the silly chanting). I was afraid it would not go peacefully. I am delighted that I was proven wrong.

If 15k didn't make a difference, then 15k to James Reily wouldn't either. Kilkenny made their choice and it was heading the way for sometime. John Deasy blames WRH consultants. God knows whose fault it is tbh.

As long as WRH remains as is, ill sleep easy.
    In fairness you weren't the only one. Save Waterford were also sucked in by it. But are you going to sit around in five or ten years time when the damage is done with your head in hands when it is too late? If this is allowed to happen WRH will NEVER be the same, confined to a glorified A&E.

Regarding protest, did anyone give solidarity a chance against the Soviet oppressors in the 80s? Look what happened there,

Waterford needs to wake up. NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

7upfree wrote: »
    If this is allowed to happen WRH will NEVER be the same,
    Waterford needs to wake up. NOW.
    LOUD NOISES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

I told you so indeed. A massive opportunity missed - and now we're being asked to assemble in Santa Hats on Ballybricken on December 8th. This whole "gentle county" stuff really needs to stop or we will go under.

Interesting that a bunch of guys in suits made the decision for people in Kilkenny and the citizens didn't get a say. Now someone in, say, Slieverue, could have to travel to Dublin instead of WRH.

This Government has completely lost the plot. They are ten times worse than FF ever were.

Well said 7upfree . In reference to your concerns with the citizens of Kilkenny not getting a say , having scoured the kilkenny boards in the last few minutes ( which I have incidentally deliberately tried to avoid) , I do despair . Any of the lads on here that tried to express the WRH concerns were basically dismissed as trolling . They have been completely duped by this promise of a revamped A&E for Lukes ( and good on 'em IF they get it ) , but this is blinding them of the bigger picture . When a person in Mooncoin gets a serious leg injury he will be sorted in St Lukes A&E ....fair enough . But when that leg develops a serious infection ( and I hasten to add to our KK readers , through no fault of Lukes ) his follow up orthopaedic care ( which could be over a number of months) will be in a hospital in the centre of Dublin ? Am I missing something here ? They would rather , OK race up to the Red Cow , then what?... bumper to bumper all the way to James and the car parking nightmares that would also ensue ? And we have one of the biggest orthopaedic outpatients departments in the country in this city ..15 minutes drive way ?
    Hello? does everybody in South Kilkenny agree with this 'cause there's consultants in Luke's ( purely for personal reasons ) making serious decisions that will cost lives , maybe not yours but maybe of your loved ones .
    Agree also about the Santa hat protest , it's just nonsense and takes away from the gravity of the situation. We 'll be there in big numbers again hopefully but no Santa hat for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I'd say majority of people in south KK are with JPP on this one, loads of them in the march.

LOUD NOISES

maybe loud noises are what we need right now

I'd say majority of people in south KK are with JPP on this one, loads of them in the march.

Well it would be in their interests to perhaps express in more vehemently with a march in their own city ? Perhaps ending with a protest outside Lukes which we in Waterford would gladly support ?Those consultants in Lukes need to understand that the people in the south of the county are not ( and this is an assumption on my part ) in favour of aligning with James' s .

The Lukes vote was apparently 14 to 2 to break away from the South East Grouping , 14 ....... I was just on the HSE website and the latest figure for the number of consultants at WRH is approximately 82 . That puts it in perspective Those fourteen could be responsible for holding the whole SE region to ransom ? It's just hard to comprehend .......

• Advertisement

Deisetrek wrote: »
    The Lukes vote was apparently 14 to 2 to break away from the South East Grouping , 14 ....... I was just on the HSE website and the latest figure for the number of consultants at WRH is approximately 82 . That puts it in perspective Those fourteen could be responsible for holding the whole SE region to ransom ? It's just hard to comprehend .......
    Agendas.;)

I cant remember if I said it on this thread or FB, but by joining with an already under pressure hospital, lukes will get a sh1tload of funding.. does nobody else see this?

Agendas.;)

no, the only ones with the agendas are those of us with the silly chants :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I cant remember if I said it on this thread or FB, but by joining with an already under pressure hospital, lukes will get a sh1tload of funding.. does nobody else see this?

Not sure I understand you. The Dublin hospitals are under pressure, Luke's join up with them, and then get some of the Dublin funding siphoned off to KK? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me - maybe you might like to expand on the point.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It seems completely stupid that the people of Kilkenny will be expected to travel to Dublin, in probably a much busier hospital than Waterford. Regardless of how busy it is, Waterford is a short drive down the motorway whereas heading to Dublin is going to bring an increase in traffic and battling heavy traffic all the way through the Naas Road and so on. It makes absolutely no sense. So what the hell are the reason why these consultants decided to ditch Waterford and regroup with Dublin? It doesn't make sense and tbh, the folk of Kilkenny should be out in large numbers insisting this crazy idea goes no further. I would hope that the Minister when he is reviewing hospital grouping will see how completely stupid this is and how patients lives will be a risk. In addition, it would surely make sense for their public representative to see how stupid this is and ensure that they remain with WRH. The mind boggles as to how the folk in Kilkenny don't see this as an issue.

It wouldn't have made a difference if 10,000 Waterford people shouted at Reilly. I think he got the point with the last large protest and the "REILY OUT" "silent protest" at WRH on his last visit and the point was to ensure WRH remained as is and was not stripped of any services, downgraded or control handed over to other hospitals. It wasn't FG/Lab/Reilly who decided in their great wisdom that Kilkenny should go with Dublin. He had nothing to do with that so I fail to see how shouting at him would have made a difference. I'm sure he would admire the support you have for Kilkenny folk, but surely you should be shouting instead to save WRH as a whole as it directly impacts on us and those who decide to stick with WRH? Either some people are completely stupid or its purely a political game by complaining that there was no protest.

Why was a 'no protest' insisted? Because those in the background that know better and are working their backsides of for their jobs and for Waterford would probably have preferred that the last protest rendered the point home, that they could ensure that this visit got Reilly to themselves, to highlight the concerns, and not have it disturbed or have the meeting start on negativity which could jeprodise the solid work those behind the scenes are trying to do. It wasn't just a few here who had concerns, the Gardai came out in strong numbers to protect him in the event it went wrong - considering other political protests around the country have gone wrong.

As for what's next? I would agree that holding a Santa Hat record protest seems to bring a 'silly' element to a very serious issue and I fail to see why we need a second protest in Waterford. We raised the point locally, and if anything there has been positive news since then. I also far the second protest wont have the same strong numbers, its hard to tell what would happen. So lets make our point again and show that we are serious and want 100% sold commitments and not a row back like many other political promises. How? Dublin. Go straight to the building where the final call will be made. Make your point. Make it loud. Make it clear. No sillyness, no violence, no silly chants or conspiracy theories. Just deal with the potential issue that faces WRH and remind the Houses of Government that Waterford may be heading to a sleepy city, may have huge unemployment, and may have had a few services under this and previous governments removed/merged/slimmed down. But, there comes a point where this sleepy city will wake up and insist - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

One voice. One clear solid voice. For all the faults 'Save Waterford' is said to have, its done the best job for Waterford to date and they deserve 100% credit for waking up Waterford in such large numbers. They need to ensure they keep the momentum going by taking the advise from those with experience and those who are professionals. Not attacking people who may have different views, or different ideas. Yes, its fragile times. Yes, everyone is tired. So get help, take a breather and let people who have time and are not feeling the tiredness to step in and help.

I think this voice we have has done us well but I fear its slipping and Waterford will go back to being a sleepy city that doesn't stand up for itself. Not politics. Serious professional like minded people who are not out to score a political point or get their face in the media so they can be associated with the campaign, ensuring their re-election when the time comes and there is a much bigger battle for seats. We need to grab this voice that has done us so well and take full advantage. Properly. Before its to late.

It seems completely stupid that the people of Kilkenny will be expected to travel to Dublin, in probably a much busier hospital than Waterford. Regardless of how busy it is, Waterford is a short drive down the motorway whereas heading to Dublin is going to bring an increase in traffic and battling heavy traffic all the way through the Naas Road and so on. It makes absolutely no sense. So what the hell are the reason why these consultants decided to ditch Waterford and regroup with Dublin? It doesn't make sense and tbh, the folk of Kilkenny should be out in large numbers insisting this crazy idea goes no further. I would hope that the Minister when he is reviewing hospital grouping will see how completely stupid this is and how patients lives will be a risk. In addition, it would surely make sense for their public representative to see how stupid this is and ensure that they remain with WRH. The mind boggles as to how the folk in Kilkenny don't see this as an issue.

It wouldn't have made a difference if 10,000 Waterford people shouted at Reilly. I think he got the point with the last large protest and the "REILY OUT" "silent protest" at WRH on his last visit and the point was to ensure WRH remained as is and was not stripped of any services, downgraded or control handed over to other hospitals. It wasn't FG/Lab/Reilly who decided in their great wisdom that Kilkenny should go with Dublin. He had nothing to do with that so I fail to see how shouting at him would have made a difference. I'm sure he would admire the support you have for Kilkenny folk, but surely you should be shouting instead to save WRH as a whole as it directly impacts on us and those who decide to stick with WRH? Either some people are completely stupid or its purely a political game by complaining that there was no protest.

Why was a 'no protest' insisted? Because those in the background that know better and are working their backsides of for their jobs and for Waterford would probably have preferred that the last protest rendered the point home, that they could ensure that this visit got Reilly to themselves, to highlight the concerns, and not have it disturbed or have the meeting start on negativity which could jeprodise the solid work those behind the scenes are trying to do. It wasn't just a few here who had concerns, the Gardai came out in strong numbers to protect him in the event it went wrong - considering other political protests around the country have gone wrong.

As for what's next? I would agree that holding a Santa Hat record protest seems to bring a 'silly' element to a very serious issue and I fail to see why we need a second protest in Waterford. We raised the point locally, and if anything there has been positive news since then. I also far the second protest wont have the same strong numbers, its hard to tell what would happen. So lets make our point again and show that we are serious and want 100% sold commitments and not a row back like many other political promises. How? Dublin. Go straight to the building where the final call will be made. Make your point. Make it loud. Make it clear. No sillyness, no violence, no silly chants or conspiracy theories. Just deal with the potential issue that faces WRH and remind the Houses of Government that Waterford may be heading to a sleepy city, may have huge unemployment, and may have had a few services under this and previous governments removed/merged/slimmed down. But, there comes a point where this sleepy city will wake up and insist - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

One voice. One clear solid voice. For all the faults 'Save Waterford' is said to have, its done the best job for Waterford to date and they deserve 100% credit for waking up Waterford in such large numbers. They need to ensure they keep the momentum going by taking the advise from those with experience and those who are professionals. Not attacking people who may have different views, or different ideas. Yes, its fragile times. Yes, everyone is tired. So get help, take a breather and let people who have time and are not feeling the tiredness to step in and help.

I think this voice we have has done us well but I fear its slipping and Waterford will go back to being a sleepy city that doesn't stand up for itself. Not politics. Serious professional like minded people who are not out to score a political point or get their face in the media so they can be associated with the campaign, ensuring their re-election when the time comes and there is a much bigger battle for seats. We need to grab this voice that has done us so well and take full advantage. Properly. Before its to late.

Excellent post Sully , for the first time in this debate I find myself agreeing with everything you say . Would be interested to find out the reaction to such a post on the Kilkenny forum ,coming as it does from a moderator . It could surely not be considered trolling ? Would you consider putting it over there , just an idea .

Deisetrek wrote: »
    Excellent post Sully , for the first time in this debate I find myself agreeing with everything you say . Would be interested to find out the reaction to such a post on the Kilkenny forum ,coming as it does from a moderator . It could surely not be considered trolling ? Would you consider putting it over there , just an idea .

Sorry Sully just noticed you've already done that , well said

fricatus, the increase in funding that I predict for lukes is to take some of the pressure off the dublin hospitals, and will be an increase in funding, not a siphoning off, also you will see a drop in funding for wrh due to this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus, the increase in funding that I predict for lukes is to take some of the pressure off the dublin hospitals, and will be an increase in funding, not a siphoning off, also you will see a drop in funding for wrh due to this.

No. St Lukes is one of the busiest A&Es in this county. Its not in good condition. Therefore, funding has been secured to improve and renovate the A&E service which will remain either way. Unconnected.

Going by that logic, than when the Court House gets its improvements done than Kilkenny will see a reduction in funding in the future. That's not how it works.

No. St Lukes is one of the busiest A&Es in this county. Its not in good condition. Therefore, funding has been secured to improve and renovate the A&E service which will remain either way. Unconnected.

Going by that logic, than when the Court House gets its improvements done than Kilkenny will see a reduction in funding in the future. That's not how it works.

not while hogan remains in his current position.

• Advertisement

What if Solidarity had adopted the same stance in 1980? "Sure feck lads this protesting lark really isn't any good. Who'll notice? Will it do any good"

Food for thought. Protest is the essence of change. When the opportunity arises. Not standing around in Santa Hats on Ballybricken while the main protagonist is 100 miles away in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I read a good article recently discussing how protesting is not as effective nowadays as it once was. I'll try and find the link.

But basically it explained how the old-school protests were well organised and disciplined, the participants were often well dressed and presentable, the messages were clear, and most importantly the movements presented a show of potential political force that is actually a threat to the power of those that are in charge, a threat that, if not addressed, has the capacity to turn a potential force into an actual force that can seriously damage the interests of those powerful elites, whether through violence or other forms of collective social action, mass voting, non payment of taxes etc.

Comparing that to some of the recent worldwide protests they are often small, disorganised, the participants look like rabble and often there isn't a defined message that the protest is portraying.

It went on to say how online protests have become more effective, like the Anonymous' DDOS attacks on various government and company websites. These attacks affect the business of those being attacked and are a threat so get results.

But protesting is still worthwhile as long as you remember what makes it effect.

It has to:
    • be well organised
    • have clear objectives of how to cause change
    • have respectable protesters (no santa hats!)
    • be of sufficient numbers to show a potential threat to those in charge

The last point is that it's been proven that a violent or socially disobedient undercurrent goes a long way to getting results. Every peaceful protest that has been successful, Ghandi or Luthor King's for example, had groups running in parallel who were acting as the "bad cop" to their "good cop". That is what scares the government, when you have the ordinary people protesting peacefully and somewhat militant groups fighting for the same or similar cause. They're then at danger of political and civil disobedience.

So from now on I think physical protests need to tick all the points above, with possibly the internet and social media used to provide the "militant" action, DDOS attacks, mass emails to government officials.

Without that I think those in power will just shrug off the regular protests.

I read a good article recently discussing how protesting is not as effective nowadays as it once was. I'll try and find the link.

But basically it explained how the old-school protests were well organised and disciplined, the participants were often well dressed and presentable, the messages were clear, and most importantly the movements presented a show of potential political force that is actually a threat to the power of those that are in charge, a threat that, if not addressed, has the capacity to turn a potential force into an actual force that can seriously damage the interests of those powerful elites, whether through violence or other forms of collective social action, mass voting, non payment of taxes etc.

Comparing that to some of the recent worldwide protests they are often small, disorganised, the participants look like rabble and often there isn't a defined message that the protest is portraying.

It went on to say how online protests have become more effective, like the Anonymous' DDOS attacks on various government and company websites. These attacks affect the business of those being attacked and are a threat so get results.

But protesting is still worthwhile as long as you remember what makes it effect.

It has to:
    • be well organised
    • have clear objectives of how to cause change
    • have respectable protesters (no santa hats!)
    • be of sufficient numbers to show a potential threat to those in charge

The last point is that it's been proven that a violent or socially disobedient undercurrent goes a long way to getting results. Every peaceful protest that has been successful, Ghandi or Luthor King's for example, had groups running in parallel who were acting as the "bad cop" to their "good cop". That is what scares the government, when you have the ordinary people protesting peacefully and somewhat militant groups fighting for the same or similar cause. They're then at danger of political and civil disobedience.

So from now on I think physical protests need to tick all the points above, with possibly the internet and social media used to provide the "militant" action, DDOS attacks, mass emails to government officials.

So you just give up? Looks what's happening (again) in Egypt tonight? While you have provided no link, even if you did it is a mere opinion.

So you just give up? Looks what's happening (again) in Egypt tonight? While you have provided no link, even if you did it is a mere opinion.

Look at Greece or across Europe. Has it made a difference? Plenty of middle east countries where it hasn't worked either.

But, I do think that to some degree it works. Look at the pensioners under Fianna Fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm getting sick of you to be honest.

If you read what I wrote I said protesting is not as effective nowadays because it's not done in the right way. But if you do it the right way it works, which is what I'm proposing, and have been saying for a few weeks now.

The Save Waterford campaign has been brilliant so far but if it is to make a lasting difference it needs to be organised very well from now on. It also needs to be focused on its goals and get everyone behind it and any protests need to be done in the right way.

What we don't need is people like you who dismiss everyone else's opinion outright. If we follow your way a handful of people will just go gung-ho, protesting away and those in power won't give the slightest of sh*ts.

So by all means disagree with what I or anyone else says but at least come up with a viable alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Look at Greece or across Europe. Has it made a difference? Plenty of middle east countries where it hasn't worked either.

But, I do think that to some degree it works. Look at the pensioners under Fianna Fail!
    Look at Greece[/QUOTE

One sentence I have observed with the media when representatives from the Ula or Sinn Fein or others give Interviews is the look at Greece comment-what we didn,t hear in the media is about Iceland and Icelands recovery-when Iceland was in Crisis a few years ago-during the lisbon two referendum representatives from the no side were often asked look at Iceland is that where you want to go if vote no a second time-but since Iceland has recovered they never mention it in the media-if people were to took a page from what Iceland done it would be more effective then what the Greeks are doing.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-787377

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-08-12/imf-says-bailouts-iceland-style-hold-lessons-for-crisis-nations

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/12/us-iceland-idUSBRE85B12O20120612

http://www.globalresearch.ca/top-economists-iceland-did-it-right-and-everyone-else-is-doing-it-wrong/32486

totally in agreement with this point and I am sick of saying more or less the same, you should post this to the save Waterford page

Meh. Governments overthrown in Syria and Egypt (although one could see what would happen there). We don't want to overthrow a Government - merely to highlight discrimination (particularly in Waterford's instance) and force a change in policy. Mass demonstration and civil disobedience are the only tools for that. Like in France. I think it WILL happen. And it will be something very innocuous which will trigger it.

Until the Banks are treated like ordinary businesses (you either fail or succeed on your own two feet) then nothing will change. And sadly this Government, for all the chest-thumping, hasn't the balls to do it.

As for the Blue Rinse brigade - a huge percentage of them shouldn't have medical cards in the first instance. Many can well afford private health care; particularly those with overgenerous Public Sector pensions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

From Facebook
    due to numerous complaints, myself and Andrea have been discussing all morning, and our decision is to scrap the rally on the 8th on ballybricken. We have been under stress about all the talk surrounding the hats and songs idea. not on this page now, but on all of them, and im not suffering all this anxitey coming up to christmas.
    The plan now, is to do the candle light/glow stick walk around the hospital. we will met at the tesco car park, at 4.30 pm on the 8th of dec. it will have a great visual impact, is away from the town, and people will get their march. Gillian

• Advertisement

I'm getting sick of you to be honest.

Well whoop de ****ing do. We have a difference of opinion. Get over it. Do I look like I give a sh!t?
    If you read what I wrote I said protesting is not as effective nowadays because it's not done in the right way. But if you do it the right way it works, which is what I'm proposing, and have been saying for a few weeks now.

The Save Waterford campaign has been brilliant so far but if it is to make a lasting difference it needs to be organised very well from now on. It also needs to be focused on its goals and get everyone behind it and any protests need to be done in the right way.

What we don't need is people like you who dismiss everyone else's opinion outright. If we follow your way a handful of people will just go gung-ho, protesting away and those in power won't give the slightest of sh*ts.

So by all means disagree with what I or anyone else says but at least come up with a viable alternative.

The Save Waterford campaign is a decent enough concept. But it is already losing its way. Seriously - Santa hats? What, precisely, do you think THAT will achieve in your grand scheme of things?

Advertisement