Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRH proposed downgrade - protest on Saturday the 23rd of Feb

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Sully wrote: »
    I saw a person hand out flyers for the Save Waterford Campaign in one of the supermarkets - I wont say where or the sex of the person as not to embarrass them. But when one male didn't want to take a leaflet (he just dodged the person rather than refusing) this person started shouting after him and giving out. He just ignored it, got into his car and drove on. Man in his late 20s / early 30s with shopping in his hand probably didn't want the flyer as he had heard the person mention it or got the details already via local media.

Wasn't professional IMO.

@ Sully was this save waterford voleenteer wearing a high vis jacket identifying themselve as save waterford? whenever I see someone handing out leaflets the first thing I do when walking past them is take a good look at their high vis jackets to see what campaign/group they re representing before I decide whether to take a leaflet or not;a good few months ago around the square one those charties collecting funds for Africa had volenteers wearing high vis green jackets; as I walked past one their volenters he tried to give me a leaflet as to why to donate money to Africa I just kindly said in a hurry for work as an excuse; I heard him pass a remark as I went past him; one thing will greatly irrate a lot of people is when some volenteers for campaigns try guilt trip people for not taking a leaflet or donating money doesnt sit too well with some people.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Am Chile wrote: »
    @ Sully was this save waterford voleenteer wearing a high vis jacket identifying themselve as save waterford? whenever I see someone handing out leaflets the first thing I do when walking past them is take a good look at their high vis jackets to see what campaign/group they re representing before I decide whether to take a leaflet or not;a good few months ago around the square one those charties collecting funds for Africa had volenteers wearing high vis green jackets; as I walked past one their volenters he tried to give me a leaflet as to why to donate money to Africa I just kindly said in a hurry for work as an excuse; I heard him pass a remark as I went past him; one thing will greatly irrate a lot of people is when some volenteers for campaigns try guilt trip people for not taking a leaflet or donating money doesnt sit too well with some people.

The person had no ID or anything, which I don't think they have? Was just dressed normally handing out the paper flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Sarahfayess

Am Chile wrote: »
    I seen this photo screenshot on a few other FB pages of a deleted comment from the save waterford facebook page; looking at the comment there is no mention of calls for violence or nothing of the sort;I edited out the names in the photo for possible legal reasons but I find it very suspicious someone points out a second fianna fail man appears to be involved in their campaign and the comment gets erased from their page.

Photo0046-Copy-Copy_zps93292e4d.jpg

Yes, I saw this, it was removed as he wasn't asking any questions in innocence at all, he was just out to discredit and spread crap. Save Waterford do NOT have any political alliances or anything of the sort, but they will take support from anyone who gives it as a civilian, as long as they leave their politics at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Yes, I saw this, it was removed as he wasn't asking any questions in innocence at all, he was just out to discredit and spread crap. Save Waterford do NOT have any political alliances or anything of the sort, but they will take support from anyone who gives it as a civilian, as long as they leave their politics at the door.
    I don't see a problem with the question he/she asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I actually know the guy who posted that, it came up on my timeline and he genuinely wasn't stirring. He wouldn't know all that about politics if you ask me, so like I say, the question came from a genuine place. He can come up with some ****e in fairness when it comes to local hurling and soccer, but he's never malicious, but what I will say is that some of the replies he got were disgraceful, questioning his right to have a say because he's living in Oz for the foreseeable future etc. Some of the replies were so ignorant from people in and around this Save Waterford and WGAS. At least Andrea Galgey herself engaged him in a coherent manner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

This walking out protesting down here lark is a waste of time , who would even know about it up in dublin unless it got 30 seconds on the news ,
    the only way they will take notice is a mass boycott of taxes , tv-house-car, but that wont happen now will it...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

just a couple of things folks:

all this non political talk surrounding SW since day 1 is getting very tiring, I doubt very much that the organisers are that naive as to believe that an issue as important as hospital services is not a political issue. If they insist that the non political stance is referring to working with politicians, then why are 2 FF and 1 FG (as mentioned above) so prominently involved?

nobody has said anything about my last post, the message on their FB wall, liked by both organisers of SW, which alludes to violence against those who dare to have a difference of opinion/suggestions.. this is totally against their peaceful dignified stance, yet both organisers of SW liked the post.

another post from one of the SW organisers on the WGAS wall states that it is now time for everyone to come together. this comes after months of ignoring, talking down and refusal to engage with or promote other groups/campaigns/protests.

IMO the organisers know too well their campaign and day in the spotlight is coming to an end (regardless of what happens to the SE Hospital group) and are now trying to use their "fame" to piggyback and take over other campaigns that they once dismissed.

the recent innocence being portrayed by the campaign and its organisers really sickens me, they know exactly what they are doing and why they are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

They seemed to have painted themselves as revolutionaries and whenever it looks like they are slipping out of the limelight they throw up another post and shake another hornet's nest.

They have got a lot of support from the clueless majority in Waterford and with each day that passes it becomes more and more like the blind leading the blind.

I have heard politicians taking the piss out of them one day and then sharing a wheel of the bandwagon another day. Waterford, through the eyes of the rest of the country, has just become a city of moaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

They seemed to have painted themselves as revolutionaries and whenever it looks like they are slipping out of the limelight they throw up another post and shake another hornet's nest.

They have got a lot of support from the clueless majority in Waterford and with each day that passes it becomes more and more like the blind leading the blind.

I have heard politicians taking the piss out of them one day and then sharing a wheel of the bandwagon another day. Waterford, through the eyes of the rest of the country, has just become a city of moaners.
    Ok Big Phil we will all go back to sleep now.

Oh dear. Sure lets organise another walk through town next week. That'll show em all that we mean business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Amazingly, when other areas hold protests, there is an admiration for them. Yet, when Waterford gets off its ass, we get the whole "moaners" thing trotted out. What do YOU suggest instead? Roll over - and take it up that very same ass?

As I said previously, Waterford has been discriminated against by successive Governments. The WIT upgrade debacle (going on for the bones of twenty years, with politicians not "going to put down the cudgel" unless it was upgraded); the City Council debacle; and now WRH?

Personally I couldn't give a fiddlers what others think. That is our problem. There are, apparently, people within this city who actually WORRY about offending others.:rolleyes: No-one is going to help us. That has been proven in the past few years. We have to do it ourselves.

And as for your "clueless majority" accusations, I would suggest you retract it immediately. I find it highly offensive to this City and its populace, and you have absolutely no right to level such an accusation. Waterford people are the salt of this earth, and are far more articulate and clued in than people like you give them credit for.

Regarding SW, I was surprised to see a sitting councillor handing out leaflets at Tesco last week. But that is the choice SW have made - just as they choose not to demonstrate when O'Reilly visited last year (now universally acknowledged as a mistake).

But I would still prefer to have them there then to depend on the keyboard warriors who worry about what other people will think. Any day.

Hoffmans wrote: »
    This walking out protesting down here lark is a waste of time , who would even know about it up in dublin unless it got 30 seconds on the news ,
    the only way they will take notice is a mass boycott of taxes , tv-house-car, but that wont happen now will it...:eek:

What is actually needed is French-style protests. Strikes a chord really.....

Who was the FG rep?

7upfree wrote: »
    What is actually needed is French-style protests. Strikes a chord really.....

I demand that you retract something that I disagree with. Right now!

Eh, no.

You see, what you have done, is what you always do...you take something that someone has said and you interpret in whatever way you see fit, just so you can become hysterical as always.

The first march was a success and it came about at a time when the city was beginning to boil over. I was behind that protest all the way. The second one was a waste of time and there aren't many who believe otherwise.

The moaning I speak of is coming from certain politicians who only seem to care about the amalgamation and never seem to be able to talk about anything else. There are bigger issues happening in this city right now, things that we have every right to be moaning about but when everyone seems to be hung up on just one issue, then it doesn't look good for the rest of us.

And you only have to read most of the drivel on the save waterford page to know that it's supported mainly my people who just want to abuse politicians and basically anyone else who stands in their way. This crowd does not represent me, and they do not represent Waterford, regardless of how much they want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I heard two very disturbing cases of people who were sent out to waterford regional recently, with serious life threatening conditions,

One was left on a trolley for 24hours and one was sent home even though her condition was life threatening!

Im sorry to say but this is only going to get worse and worse if these cuts come in. Its not a place youd want to be sick in.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

We have a situation were the same two councillors are very active in WGAS and Save Waterford. They are involved in planning meetings with both groups and seem to steering the direction of the protests.

Now i dont know either well enough to say that they are not genuinely concerned and hopefully as politicians they would be.

However the danger is that people get the impression that either group have a political agenda. It would be best to keep all politicians out of the loop regardless of party allegiance. If they were kept as peoples movements their would not be the danger of credibility erosion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'm a bit confused here because it looks like Save Waterford are being accused of being pro-Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, just because local reps are getting involved in the campaign, and conversely they are being accused of Government/politician-bashing. Which is it?

What does it matter if Gary Wyse, Mary Roche or any other councillor wants to get involed, handing out leaflets or taking part in the meetings and the marches? If they did nothing they would be lambasted just the same. And they are Waterford people after all.

And people are criticising them because the marches are not effective - how about organising your own march/protest/shout verbal abuse and intimidate Ministers or whatever else you think is the magic solution.

At the end of the day, Save Waterford organised the marches, which went well. The haven't been going around telling people who to vote for or any other political nonsense. They are just ordinary people trying to do what they think is right to oppose the proposed downgrade, why are people being so aggressive towards them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm a bit confused here because it looks like Save Waterford are being accused of being pro-Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, just because local reps are getting involved in the campaign, and conversely they are being accused of Government/politician-bashing. Which is it?

What does it matter if Gary Wyse, Mary Roche or any other councillor wants to get involed, handing out leaflets or taking part in the meetings and the marches? If they did nothing they would be lambasted just the same. And they are Waterford people after all.

And people are criticising them because the marches are not effective - how about organising your own march/protest/shout verbal abuse and intimidate Ministers or whatever else you think is the magic solution.

At the end of the day, Save Waterford organised the marches, which went well. The haven't been going around telling people who to vote for or any other political nonsense. They are just ordinary people trying to do what they think is right to oppose the proposed downgrade, why are people being so aggressive towards them?

Because they (and their followers) get aggressive and ultra defensive whenever someone asks a genuine question of them?

You see, what you have done, is what you always do...you take something that someone has said and you interpret in whatever way you see fit, just so you can become hysterical as always.

From your post above:

"They have got a lot of support from the clueless majority in Waterford"

Even for you that doesn't take much twisting. Sounds pretty hysterical actually. Generalising an entire populace. And while SW may not represent you, they certainly represent the silent - not clueless as you describe them - majority.

Again I would ask you to retract that derogatory comment aimed at your fellow citizens.

And BTW - issues don't get much bigger than a Regional Hospital being threatened with downgrading, to the detriment of that "clueless majority" you seem to so despise.

I'd say you wouldn't be as quick to post such drivel under your real name somehow.

I've bolded the most important bit of that post. You hit the nail on the head there. It's obvious that other politicians running different agendas to the detriment of this City are being exposed by, what was it again, the "clueless majority". And they don't like it one bit. Newsflash lads - there's nowhere to hide.

• Advertisement

I heard two very disturbing cases of people who were sent out to waterford regional recently, with serious life threatening conditions,

One was left on a trolley for 24hours and one was sent home even though her condition was life threatening!

Im sorry to say but this is only going to get worse and worse if these cuts come in. Its not a place youd want to be sick in.

Imagine how worse it will get if O'Reilly and his cronies downgrade it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Because they (and their followers) get aggressive and ultra defensive whenever someone asks a genuine question of them?
    I dunno, maybe they are just pissed off with all the "genuine", loaded, passive-aggressive questions? I know I would if I was them.

The comments are clearly trying to stir it and make the SW campaign look bad. And like one person said on the FB page, all the comments such as "so and so from Fianna Fail was handing leaflets" etc is just childish rubbish. Who cares if these politicians are handing out leaflets? That doesn't mean the campaign is pro-FF or pro-FG. Should the politicians all be banned from supporting the campaign?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

jad2007 wrote: »
    We have a situation were the same two councillors are very active in WGAS and Save Waterford. They are involved in planning meetings with both groups and seem to steering the direction of the protests.

Now i dont know either well enough to say that they are not genuinely concerned and hopefully as politicians they would be.

However the danger is that people get the impression that either group have a political agenda. It would be best to keep all politicians out of the loop regardless of party allegiance. If they were kept as peoples movements their would not be the danger of credibility erosion.

I have to agree with this post-its not just one fianna fail member appears to be involved in sw campaign; from what I have heard by word of mouth via private conversation a current fianna fail counciller actively attends sw meetings along with an lifelong ex pd member; the post on facebook they deleted refered to another fianna fail member (due to stand for local elections next year) handing out sw leaflets on their behalf;so thats two fianna fail members and an ex pd appears to be involved in the sw campaign; from looking at their facebook some of their supporters arent too happy about questions being asked; if I was them I would more concerned about the questions not being asked to them on facebook; the questions some people are asking in private conversations; there is a reason a lot of people I personally know (not poltically minded people nor supporters of any party ) who went to their first march refused to attend last weekend but Il keep what they said in private conversations private.

From Gary Wyse's facebook page:
    Just heard the HSE have announced there will be NO downgrading of Waterford Regional Hospital... Good news!!! but we still need to be in control of our own budgets if we don't control our own budgets then its game over and a slow downgrade over years!... we await a cabinet decision and an announcement soon.

I was under the impression that the government and the HSE had stated that the hospital was never going to be broken up. Everyone on facebook thanking the two girls now for saving the hospital.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm sure the protests helped pile on pressure and ensure there was no change to services at WRH.

I don't think we're out of the woods yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

I was under the impression that the government and the HSE had stated that the hospital was never going to be broken up. Everyone on facebook thanking the two girls now for saving the hospital.

This was the thing, alot of unfounded rumours and scaremongering going on and when it proves to be false, the people who started the scaremongering can act like saviours.And before the usual morons go casting pro-government accusations at me, I'm totally against all governments ,except dictatorships( RIP Gaddafi).It'd be like if I kept saying that boards was going to infect everyone with HIV on the 27th of March, I'll start off a campaign and when it doesn't happen, take all the credit for no one getting HIV.

I'm not diminishing what they did in terms of getting off their holes and organising something, in fact I think its great that a few normal people can actually see that the power to try and effect change is in their hands. All I'm saying is don't go taking credit for something that wasn't going to happen in the first place, all its gonna do is give Scary Roache and the other politicians WHO WERE involved in organising it , something to brag about and take credit for when the next session of the cnut factor(local elections) materializes in our fine dimension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bards

From Gary Wyse's facebook page:

yep, that's my reading of it to.

I will await unti the Govt categorically state that the S.E Hospital Network will not be broken up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bards wrote: »
    I will await unti the Govt categorically state that the S.E Hospital Network will not be broken up.

That's the point really, isn't it? It was never about budget cuts - rather, it was about who controls the hospital's budget!

• Advertisement

Meatwad wrote: »
    And before the usual morons go casting pro-government accusations at me, I'm totally against all governments ,except dictatorships( RIP Gaddafi).It'd be like if I kept saying that boards was going to infect everyone with HIV on the 27th of March, I'll start off a campaign and when it doesn't happen, take all the credit for no one getting HIV.

I'm not diminishing what they did in terms of getting off their holes and organising something, in fact I think its great that a few normal people can actually see that the power to try and effect change is in their hands. All I'm saying is don't go taking credit for something that wasn't going to happen in the first place, all its gonna do is give Scary Roache and the other politicians WHO WERE involved in organising it , something to brag about and take credit for when the next session of the cnut factor(local elections) materializes in our fine dimension.

Paranoia. Ya gotta love it all the same!:D

Advertisement