Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly Qualified Teachers Protest

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I'd love to be on 32,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup dont really see the issue here, also blaming to government because their unions agreed to this through croke park is ass backwards. How about the more experienced teachers, of who there are more of, take a pay cut so these teachers can get a pay rise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The unions are such hypocrites, they screwed over the new teachers by not accepting to make cuts across the board and now they have the cheek to come out and protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I can't get a job in what I studied in college. Don't see me protesting bad life choices, I just cry myself to sleep like a normal person.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Be fair! having your highlights done regularly is not cheap at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I actually can't get over their cheek to be honest.

Complaining about €32,000 a year? After 3/4 years in college?

Again, I thought I was missing something, it seems mental that they think they are being hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

yeah, i was very surprised at the protest. Where is benchmarking when it's the other way round eh? As a science graduate you're lucky to be starting on 19K nowadays or to have a job at all. We're no more or less educated than teachers and go through our own ridiculous working hours/stress/lack of personal time etc. but we are starting on ridiculous low pay in industry. I love teachers, what they do is a vocation but to be expecting to start at 32000 regardless if you're a mature student (who left a job to go back to college, i heard this on the radio today) or a young pup at 21 is insane in this day and age. Everyone has had a pay cut and yes it's unfair to be on less pay than their counterparts but talk to doctors/nurses/everyone else and you'll find the same story. Why do teachers feel that they're different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShiresV2

€32,000 a year is very good for a graduate salary.

Seems just another sectional interest group shouting as loud as they can except this time the government isn't going to buy them off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Oh the lazy anti teacher brigade - unable to fathom what teachers are actually responsible for. For all the grief they get/responsibility they have, they deserve good money/holidays.
    That said, 32k isn't bad. Did they definitely start on 40-odd in 2009?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Some serious condescension out of them. Young scuts only out the door of St Pat's, Mary I etc. who cannot for the life of them see why they aren't going to be starting out on the ludicrous wages that are the main reason they went for teaching in the first place. Yeah its a kick in the teeth but the country is in serious trouble, we can no more afford to be paying our teachers €32k+ starting out than we can afford to be paying our consultants €200k.

If ye don't like the pay on offer lads, ye have teaching qualifications, do one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Typical crap that got us where we are today.

Hi there so you want to be a teacher?

Oh yes please!

Well were are paying 32,000 a year and we think you would be good.

ehhh that not enough for me.

NEXT!

Thats how it should work......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Madam_X wrote: »
    Oh the lazy anti teacher brigade - unable to fathom what teachers are actually responsible for. For all the grief they get/responsibility they have, they deserve good money/holidays.

So they claim. Btw i dont think teachers are lazy and they deserve to be well paid but when the fvck are people in the public serviuce gonna cop on an realise theres no money to pay them? And as i said above blaming the government cus their unions screwed them 4 years ago is ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

deccurley wrote: »

If ye don't like the pay on offer lads, ye have teaching qualifications, do one.

I guess when they started their course the pay that was on offer was the higher end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

the only thing issue here is that long time teachers wages and allowances haven't been cut aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They are protesting about 32,000 because they are in a civil service mindset and are comparing their salary to that of other public service workers who earn a hige salary for example senior teachers at over 60k, consultants, government employees etc. In their eyes its unfair that they are joining the public sector at the 'low' wage of 32,000 when their colleagues are causing such controversy with their huge salaries and perks, its more an anger that they cant be included into that clique than it is trying to justify such a low wage. They dont feel solidarity with the private sector, they are mourning the old gravy train of boom-days teacher lifestyles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

No sympathy for them really, Alot of pilots end up paying to work just so they can get experience.:( I am not in favour of that either

• Registered Users Posts: 23,437 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Great graduate wage especially for someone with zero real world experience. 8 years under dept of education in primary school, 6 year under dept. Of education on secondary schools, 3 years under dept. Of education in college. Straight to work, under dept. Of education.

They should be on way less and be made learn real world skills. Like how buisness actually works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

All the rest of them should be brought down to 32k simple no more marches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I'd love to be on 32,000 a year.
    Go for a it! You will need a degree (3-4) years, a PGDE (1 year, 6k) and probably an MA to match the qualifications of other candidates. Warning though: 32k is for full time staff (I actually thought it had been cut to 27.5k). I don't know any new graduates on full hours. Be prepared to sub, move all over the country and if you are lucky to get your own hours, you may be expected to live on 8 or 10 hours work- over 5 days of course. Divide 32k or 27.5k by 22 and multiply by 8 or 10 for your wages.

Develop a thick skin. You may not need it in order to deal with 29 teenagers,some of whom will have learning and/or behavioural difficulties and little or no extra help but you will need it when Joe public starts to go on about how easy you have it and how you should be lucky to be paid at all. Imagine all those taxpayers paying your wages so you can read a few books between snoozes and lunches!!!

Enjoy your short hours and amazing holidays. Don't worry about planning. You can just open the book and read from it. You could give the odd test when you're hungover. Don't worry about correcting said test. Sure nobody cares. If you must insist on doing a bit of marking, make sure to do it during class. The little angels in your care will just read on quietly. If they don't you could belt them with a duster or kick them out of class. Sure that's what our teachers did when we were in school and we all lived.

I forgot to mention extra curricular. You may want to odd training session, orgainse a few debates and school trips. You can do all this extra work during class time of course, as you couldn't possibly stay past 3. You will have 32k to spend!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

I guess when they started their course the pay that was on offer was the higher end.

We were all PROMISED amazing salaries on qualification. Speak to anyone in the private sector under the age of 30 and you'll see them on nothing like what the teachers are paid. I'm sorry but i just don't have any sympathy for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Madam_X wrote: »

I wouldn't be a teacher for all the holidays in the world. I completely understand the responsibility that the job entails, some of my best friends are teachers.

If the money was there, pay them well, BUT it's not. The country is up the shiiter and they are complaining about getting paid € 32,000 a year??

Its pure solid cheek in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 The outlaw

yeah, i was very surprised at the protest. Where is benchmarking when it's the other way round eh? As a science graduate you're lucky to be starting on 19K nowadays or to have a job at all. We're no more or less educated than teachers and go through our own ridiculous working hours/stress/lack of personal time etc. but we are starting on ridiculous low pay in industry. I love teachers, what they do is a vocation but to be expecting to start at 32000 regardless if you're a mature student (who left a job to go back to college, i heard this on the radio today) or a young pup at 21 is insane in this day and age. Everyone has had a pay cut and yes it's unfair to be on less pay than their counterparts but talk to doctors/nurses/everyone else and you'll find the same story. Why do teachers feel that they're different?

Also Trainee Accountants would be on that type of salary as well unless you get a job at a multinational maybe 25/26. So a teacher earns at least 28% more than that. Do teachers work 30% more than Accounting/Science Grads? - of course they don't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

€32,000 for 36 weeks work. €888.888/week, Isn't that close to what the sergeant in the Gardai was earning??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

People give out when there is no protest..then they give out when there is....it is always the unions who bring an end to austrity and hold govt to account.

People wanted protest...the unions are the only ones whoever do it with any organization or power.

They may be doing ok...but it is industrial action that changes regimes..unless you want the occupy everything hippie brigade who will achieve nothing.

When unions say no to austerity govts listen.....they can't push this through indefinitely...you want people protsting at austerity....there you go

The best way to get the govt to listen as a nation is to join them...seriously..you back the unions you have some power as people

ITS A CHEEK THOUGH YES

But seen wisely it is oppertunity.

Unless we are better off obeying and being the steady piig...and maybe we are ..i dunno..we shall see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

vamos! wrote: »
    Go for a it! You will need a degree (3-4) years, a PGDE (1 year, 6k) and probably an MA to match the qualifications of other candidates. Warning though: 32k is for full time staff (I actually thought it had been cut to 27.5k). I don't know any new graduates on full hours. Be prepared to sub, move all over the country and if you are lucky to get your own hours, you may be expected to live on 8 or 10 hours work- over 5 days of course. Divide 32k or 27.5k by 22 and multiply by 8 or 10 for your wages.

Develop a thick skin. You may not need it in order to deal with 29 teenagers,some of whom will have learning and/or behavioural difficulties and little or no extra help but you will need it when Joe public starts to go on about how easy you have it and how you should be lucky to be paid at all. Imagine all those taxpayers paying your wages so you can read a few books between snoozes and lunches!!!

Enjoy your short hours and amazing holidays. Don't worry about planning. You can just open the book and read from it. You could give the odd test when you're hungover. Don't worry about correcting said test. Sure nobody cares. If you must insist on doing a bit of marking, make sure to do it during class. The little angels in your care will just read on quietly. If they don't you could belt them with a duster or kick them out of class. Sure that's what our teachers did when we were in school and we all lived.

I forgot to mention extra curricular. You may want to odd training session, orgainse a few debates and school trips. You can do all this extra work during class time of course, as you couldn't possibly stay past 3. You will have 32k to spend!

Best of luck!

Here is the thing we have all forgotten. Demand and supply. The basics of economics.

You'd be safer telling all you colleagues to fuk off into other jobs. Then you will be in demand due to a skills shortage.

ching..ching...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

The outlaw wrote: »
    Also Trainee Accountants would be on that type of salary as well unless you get a job at a multinational maybe 25/26. So a teacher earns at least 28% more than that. Do teachers work 30% more than Accounting/Science Grads? - of course they don't

Teachers paid 6k to teach for free during their dip. They are not trainees. They are highly qualified individuals with quite a bit of responsibility and deserve to be paid as such. Also, very few secondary teachers start on full hours. Most work less than half hours, spread over 5 days and come out with about 16k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Most of them seem to be against the idea that teachers already employed won't be subjected to the reduction in salary. Only those entering the profession will be. They want 'equal pay for equal work', which seems fair enough to me. Salaries shouldn't just be based on whether or not you 'got in' before the cutbacks.

Having said that, there was a girl on the radio earlier that was moaning about how €32,000 per year was pittance and hardly worth bothering for. I would have punched her in the gee if she was sitting next to me at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

PC CDROM wrote: »
    Here is the thing we have all forgotten. Demand and supply. The basics of economics.

You'd be safer telling all you colleagues to fuk off into other jobs. Then you will be in demand due to a skills shortage.

ching..ching...

Demand for teachers has never been higher - our population is rising in case you haven't noticed. Basic demographics.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

32 grand a year before tax? isnt all that much tbh ,I used to be of the "ah shure they get all summer off" brigade until I knew a teacher and she works a lot, a LOT of hours she doesnt get paid for. How many people here would take work home from their office or job and sit there most of the evening and do it for no extra money? I sure as sh1te wouldnt.

Not to mention all the crap they put up with from kids, parents, interfering government bodies, these days if a kid is being bold and not doing their work its not the kids or parents fault, its the teachers,so they get screwed in every facet of their job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

You people don't seem to understand that everyone takes what they have for granted, and I'd bet a tenner that you all took your previous jobs for granted too before the recession kicked in. I'm not judging anyone, I'm just stating what I think is true, by the way.

If you were in their place, you would behave the same way.

After all, who wouldn't protest against cuts? We ARE in a recession after all! Everyone wants/needs more money!

Advertisement