Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 45 minute Cross Train Mash Up - November!!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

@ BTH & Griffin100

Just checked to make sure the calistenic quad burner is double in 15 mins.

10:49 all out no rest. Brutal. Jelly quads and sweat dripping. No need to go all out though. Take the 10 secs to breathe before each squat set. Its doable within 15 for sure but you need to get stuck in. Aim to make the 8th squat JUMP set as good as the first

Forgot how good a workout this is!

Edit: 20 mins later... still toasted. Quads and triceps !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Well golly gee I just got a get out of gaol free card on these challenges. Sorry dory and Izo, for now, you're on your own.

Oryx wrote: »
    Well golly gee I just got a get out of gaol free card on these challenges. Sorry dory and Izo, for now, you're on your own.

Eh? explain please hoochie6mile?!

Edit: never mind. hope you heal soon

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Eh? explain please hoochie6mile?!
    As explained in my log I had a blonde moment and can't bend my knee for three weeks. Handy huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

As explained in my log I had a blonde moment and can't bend my knee for three weeks. Handy huh?

How about 15 minutes of various abdominal exercises with legs straight??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I'd one of those too, and can do nothing except swim with a pull buoy at the moment. Loads of catching up to do.

Heal soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Izoard, I forgot to mention - you should do an easy jump rope warmup of 10 minutes before the 15 minute "real" session, then a 10 minute cool down after. ;) (Good catch Oryx.)

Challenge update: having never skipped before, I'm struggling to string any consecutive skips together, much to the hilarity of a couple of my offspring.

I think I need to reset - 15 consecutive skips before end of Nov.

Izoard wrote: »
    Challenge update: having never skipped before, I'm struggling to string any consecutive skips together, much to the hilarity of a couple of my offspring.

I think I need to reset - 15 consecutive skips before end of Nov.

Isn't this great then?? Making kids laugh.....and dad trying something he sucks at. ;)

Hey, if 15 consecutive skips is a win for you, then it's a win for me!! My theory is, we all jumped rope as kids....if we just had never stopped jumping, think of what awesome jump ropers we'd be!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭BennyMul

@ Bennymul
    Ok, I thought it might be "fun"to do a few swim drills I used to do in the club I was with a few years ago. So the set is is based on 200m:

50m backwards freestyle to burn the arms...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVA0ur-Dz6A

50m kick with the kickboard held in a vertical position to burn the legs

50m dolphin kick underwater to test the lungs (hold your breath and try to stay underwater for each 25m length) - use fins if you have them

50m all out sprint....for the craic

And repeat:) you could probably fit 4 in 15 mins?

wow, I have never felt so useless in the pool, tried the backwards swimming, and forget 50m, could not get 5 ft. I tried it for 20min and was getting no where, trying to remember the arms going backwards and keep the legs up, impossible,
    The dolphin kick was a fraction of a bit better, its not something I have ever done before so it looked easy and less embarrassing, was not able to do 25m without breathing, (forgot fins so will use them next time)
    kick and 50m sprint was easy at this stage.
    did the set but was outside the 15min, will be back next week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭griffin100

@ BTH & Griffin100

Just checked to make sure the calistenic quad burner is double in 15 mins.

10:49 all out no rest. Brutal. Jelly quads and sweat dripping. No need to go all out though. Take the 10 secs to breathe before each squat set. Its doable within 15 for sure but you need to get stuck in. Aim to make the 8th squat JUMP set as good as the first

Forgot how good a workout this is!

Edit: 20 mins later... still toasted. Quads and triceps !

Jaysus sweating is right. I took all necessary rests and made it last 14 mins or so :) one down two to go!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Isn't this great then?? Making kids laugh.....and dad trying something he sucks at. ;)

Hey, if 15 consecutive skips is a win for you, then it's a win for me!! My theory is, we all jumped rope as kids....if we just had never stopped jumping, think of what awesome jump ropers we'd be!!! :D

In good, Catholic, Ireland, we were kept far away from the girls when growing up, and that included "girlie" activities, including skipping.

Hence my daughters can skip for ages and take sadistic pleasure in their mocking of my ridiculous efforts :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Jaysus sweating is right. I took all necessary rests and made it last 14 mins or so :) one down two to go!!!!!!

DOMS next! Glutes especially:D

Everyone done at least one attempt? 2 weeks to get the other 2 attempts done...

Eating Challenges can be included in the Xmas mash up version in a couple of weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

First round of BennyMul's set done yesterday morning on the second attempt. The first time I left about 20 mins at the end of my turbo session to do it and only had time for half...the whole set (including 2 mins rest between blocks) took 35 mins. Short, sharp fun though:)

Griffin100's pool kick challenge done twice
    My own challenge done once
    BTH's gay zumba challenge left to do

How y'all doing? ;)

xmas mash up challenge ideas? Anyone wanna take me on eating muffins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

You've heard of the beer mile... behold the mighty christmas mince pie mile race!

At the start of each lap of a 400m track/field you must consume -

lap 1. 1 mince pie
    lap 2. 2 mince pies
    lap 3. ... you see where this is going :)
    lap 4. hell yeah!

That's 10 mince pies for you, and two offer to your support spectators if you get a two-for-the-price-of-one bumper pack from the supermarket.

On second thoughts I like mince pies too much to involve them in such an event.. they could be substituted on each lap with brussel sprouts instead :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Mince pies.

Sounds like torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Griffin100's pool kick challenge done twice
    My own challenge done once
    BTH's gay zumba challenge left to do

How y'all doing? ;)

I've got one more plank/core/push-up pain to get through, not enjoying them at all, but they've been useful and I'll probably continue plank exercises. I think its been a good way to try something you might not otherwise.

Pity ExcuseQueen never reciprocated by experiencing uphill pain, but I sort of expected that. Apparently she's been too busy running XC races;)

kingQuez wrote: »
    You've heard of the beer mile... behold the mighty christmas mince pie mile race!

At the start of each lap of a 400m track/field you must consume -

lap 1. 1 mince pie
    lap 2. 2 mince pies
    lap 3. ... you see where this is going :)
    lap 4. hell yeah!

At last! Something I could be good at. Count me in :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I've got one more plank/core/push-up pain to get through, not enjoying them at all, but they've been useful and I'll probably continue plank exercises. I think its been a good way to try something you might not otherwise.

Pity ExcuseQueen never reciprocated by experiencing uphill pain, but I sort of expected that. Apparently she's been too busy running XC races;)

You knew I'd never manage three trips to the hills when you set it. Even with the car it'd take at least 30 mins to get out to the nearest hill, without the car it'd be at least 90 minutes + commute to the nearest real hill, not exactly a supplement to training if it takes half a day :pac: Might manage one go during the week as I'm off for a few days but anyway kingQuez has promised to do 45 minutes of the zumba video with me to help me fulfill my end of the bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I have one of Griffin100s kick challenge done once and I will get it done again this week.

Unfortunately, I have two aborted attempts at Shotguns quad burning session as my knee just its ready to play ball on that one just yet. I still hope to get it done, but it won't be in November at this stage.

BTH did you try my one squat & lunge challenge?

I've been doing it x3 times a week and its brought the left leg on in leaps and bounds.

Two of Izoard's standing, hilly turbo sets done....and two of Oryx's awful core workouts done. I believe because we were a threesome (even though Oryx baled on us!!!), two sets per challenger was the deal. Done...and done. :)

Advertisement