Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 45 minute Cross Train Mash Up - November!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I had one all ready for JB too. :(

Clicky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

griffin100 wrote: »
    How do you think I feel - I've seen photos of you :mad:

Ok, considering who I'm matched up with how about a swim challange:
    5 mins kick (fins allowed) / 5 mins threading water / 5 min kick - all done without a break :D

Accepted!

My challenge to Griffin100 and BTH

Back in my rowing days we used to do a Calistenics session. Basically using you own body weight to build strength endurance. Its a sure way to make your quad feel like they are on fire! Its a great set though.

1. 25 squat jumps - squat, touch floor with both hands and jump from that position.
    Establish a rhythm rather than start stop.
    2. 25 burpees
    3. 25 squat jumps
    4. 25 jumping jacks
    5. 25 squat jumps
    6. 25 lunges on each leg
    7. 25 squat jumps
    8. 25 push ups
    9. 25 squat jumps
    10. 25 sit ups
    11. 25 squat jumps
    12. 25 tricep dips on a bench or arm of sofa...
    13. 25 squat jumps
    14. 25 twists - elbows raised to chest height and rotate torso fully
    15. 25 squat jumps

Its a continuous set. Move from squat jump straight to next exercise and take 10 secs before before next squat jumps set. Feel the burn!!!!!

Since JB has ditched Izoard I figured a threesome with Oryx and Dory Dory will cheer him up. That trio now assume same challenge format as the other trio. Each person posts a challenge that the other 2 must do twice :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Izoard, if you have a video camera, would you mind filming yourself doing your jump rope routine to dance music?? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Ok kiddo, I intend destroying you before months end. You'll be racoon roadkill by the time I'm finished with you. ;)
    Your first mission is: 15mins off-road uphill running. Route choice is yours, but it has to be continually uphill, trail or harder terrain, and a decent steepness. Don't even think of the Phoenix park (I'll offer suggestions if you like).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Izoard, if you have a video camera, would you mind filming yourself doing your jump rope routine to dance music?? ;)

Dory, I presume that is you in the video?

While I can handle public humiliation, I can't actually skip.

I'll break out the eldest's Dora the Explorer skipping rope when I get back and see if something has automagically changed.

On the high probability that hasn't changed, can I request a back-up challenge* on technical grounds?

* chugging a pint in 5 seconds, I could have a crack at...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Macanri wrote: »
    Stick me down for the craic.

There will be no craic:p

Izoard wrote: »
    Dory, I presume that is you in the video?

While I can handle public humiliation, I can't actually skip.

I'll break out the eldest's Dora the Explorer skipping rope when I get back and see if something has automagically changed.

On the high probability that hasn't changed, can I request a back-up challenge* on technical grounds?

* chugging a pint in 5 seconds, I could have a crack at...

Okay, then think of it as "jumping" rope and not "skipping" rope - does that help?? Just a simple jump-up-and-down action will suffice...and you can get a little crazy by "running", or "knee-lifting".....BUT, if you are truly not coordinated to do this, then I will give you another challenge, so let me know. (and you know, you don't even really need a jump rope to do this - you can use your air-jump-rope....think air-guitar ;))

One question - if I challenge you to chug a pint in 5 seconds, then what will you do for the other 14 minutes and 55 seconds?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

One question - if I challenge you to chug a pint in 5 seconds, then what will you do for the other 14 minutes and 55 seconds?? ;)

Make him jump rope for the next 14min 55, and video it. We all want to see that.

Shotgun, I think you're going to kill me.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Ok kiddo, I intend destroying you before months end. You'll be racoon roadkill by the time I'm finished with you. ;)
    Your first mission is: 15mins off-road uphill running. Route choice is yours, but it has to be continually uphill, trail or harder terrain, and a decent steepness. Don't even think of the Phoenix park (I'll offer suggestions if you like).

I knew you'd do that!

BTH wrote: »
    Make him jump rope for the next 14min 55, and video it. We all want to see that.

Shotgun, I think you're going to kill me.

Sounds like medical advice to me - ban him*

*oh, wait...

• Advertisement

Ah JB are you saying Izoard will have to play with himself for 15 mins so?

What will I do for the other 14 mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I need to be quicker off the mark.

First planned set involved skipping & shadow boxing. Scrap that one. Then had ideas of squats, push-ups, burbles etc, scrap that too.

A nice 15 minute workout which fires you up for the day, to throw out as a challenge to Bambaata. You will need x2 drum bells with a 5kg differential ie 5kg and 10kg or similar, increase the weight weekly if necessary. You also need a Swiss ball (ideally).

Holding a dumbbell in each hand start with:
    X15 squats, bicep curls and shoulder press all in one continuous motion
    Move straight on to
    X15 bench presses off the Swiss ball. Support a horizontal back position off your shoulders on the ball with feet planted.
    Continue to
    X15 lunges (step back bending front leg to 90) then do a row motion with the weights. Swap legs, do another x15 to make 30 in total.

60 seconds rest and then repeat from the top with the weights in the opposite hands.

Picked up the workout a few years ago and found it a great leg workout.

I knew you'd do that!

We'll enjoy this so! I have a battery of bus time-tables, maps of Dublin Mountain routes, experienced mountain guides, etc; lined up for your expected excuses;)

Let me reiterate- those thoughts you have in your head of running up the Khyber Pass a few times as part of your monthly LSR... no deal. That's for pussies, and you're not one of them. I want to hear of pain setting in after 30 seconds, and rapture when that pain stops after 15 mins. Life defining pain. Your legs should want to quit after 5 minutes, and your brain should know that you have 10 minutes further pain still to go.

(this challenge is the acceptable "fifty shades" version of pain and control: we'll outdo "Venus in Furs" by the time the month is up:D)

Right Boss,

Front elbow plank(FEP) > right sided plank(RSP) > FEP > left sided plank LSP > FEP - 20 seconds each position
    FEP move to lifting right arm out straight infront of you, back to FEP restabilise and lift left arm, back to FEP and restabilise > RSP with free arm and free leg lifted > FEP lifting both legs > LSP raising free arm and leg > FEP raise right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg - if you fail you start again - once stable with arm/leg raised or back on elbows hold each position for 10 - 15 seconds
    FEP > FEP w/right arm + left leg raised > FEP > FEP w/left arm + right leg raised > FEP - 30 seconds each position

T-Roll ( can send images of this, images aren't mine so don't want to put them on the public forum )
    Start in a push up position;
    Rotate to your side, keep your hips up.
    Return to the middle(RTM)
    Now rotate onto your other side,

That's your practice done, now;

Repeat this sequence. This time you start in the push up position and do one push up, rotate, RTM, do one push up, rotate, RTM do two push ups, rotate to side, RTM, do two push ups, rotate, RTM do three push up, rotate...
    continue until you're finishing with a set of 15 push ups.

Feet elevated push up
    3 x 10

I haven't timed this...can give you a whole 45 min workout if you like though :pac: I have one that takes me over an hour.

edit: If it goes over the 15 you can drop the elevated push ups ;)

We'll enjoy this so! I have a battery of bus time-tables, maps of Dublin Mountain routes, experienced mountain guides, etc; lined up for your expected excuses;)

Let me reiterate- those thoughts you have in your head of running up the Khyber Pass a few times as part of your monthly LSR... no deal. That's for pussies, and you're not one of them. I want to hear of pain setting in after 30 seconds, and rapture when that pain stops after 15 mins. Life defining pain. Your legs should want to quit after 5 minutes, and your brain should know that you have 10 minutes further pain still to go.

(this challenge is the acceptable "fifty shades" version of pain and control: we'll outdo "Venus in Furs" by the time the month is up:D)

And now I don't even have the ''but I only have one functioning lung'' excuse anymore! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

@ Bennymul
    Ok, I thought it might be "fun"to do a few swim drills I used to do in the club I was with a few years ago. So the set is is based on 200m:

50m backwards freestyle to burn the arms...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVA0ur-Dz6A

50m kick with the kickboard held in a vertical position to burn the legs

50m dolphin kick underwater to test the lungs (hold your breath and try to stay underwater for each 25m length) - use fins if you have them

50m all out sprint....for the craic

And repeat:) you could probably fit 4 in 15 mins?

/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Thats @ Bennymul by the way.... :D

hint Bennymul, littlemsfickle is one fit chic so don't hold back!

Folks, some cool challenges so far. Who will be the first to attempt one. I plan to give Griffin100's swim challenge a go either at the weekend early or whenever the pool is quiet enough for 5 min treading water mid lane :(

Right Boss,

Front elbow plank(FEP) > right sided plank(RSP) > FEP > left sided plank LSP > FEP - 20 seconds each position
    FEP move to lifting right arm out straight infront of you, back to FEP restabilise and lift left arm, back to FEP and restabilise > RSP with free arm and free leg lifted > FEP lifting both legs > LSP raising free arm and leg > FEP raise right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg - if you fail you start again - once stable with arm/leg raised or back on elbows hold each position for 10 - 15 seconds
    FEP > FEP w/right arm + left leg raised > FEP > FEP w/left arm + right leg raised > FEP - 30 seconds each position

T-Roll ( can send images of this, images aren't mine so don't want to put them on the public forum )
    Start in a push up position;
    Rotate to your side, keep your hips up.
    Return to the middle(RTM)
    Now rotate onto your other side,

That's your practice done, now;

Repeat this sequence. This time you start in the push up position and do one push up, rotate, RTM, do one push up, rotate, RTM do two push ups, rotate to side, RTM, do two push ups, rotate, RTM do three push up, rotate...
    continue until you're finishing with a set of 15 push ups.

Feet elevated push up
    3 x 10

I haven't timed this...can give you a whole 45 min workout if you like though :pac: I have one that takes me over an hour.

edit: If it goes over the 15 you can drop the elevated push ups ;)

Just finished this (minus the 3x10 at the end). For someone who never does core work, I found these REALLY hard. So much that I was thinking before of saying you could break my uphill challenge into 3x5mins with 2 min rest in between... but no more. RQ, you are a sadist. I can see the benefits of doing these core plank holds. The push-ups... I found really hard towards the end. For starters I had to take a couple of breaks in between. Also, just so I'm sure I'm doing them correctly, I was doing:

(1xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 1xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (2xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 2xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (3xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 3xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (14xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 14xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (15xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 15xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    Finish

Just want to check this is correct- or is there a set of push-ups missing from each set? Also are breaks allowed (couldn't have done the whole lot in one set)? Anyway, cheers, its very useful to try something you might not otherwise, this whole thread is a fantastic idea.

^ Also, Junior came into my office to see what I was doing on the floor, so I put him through a set of plank holds (10 secs each). Playing it forward:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Shotgun, you are going to kill me. I have a bad knee as it is but the squats will probably help, need to get those glutes working.

Griffin100, Interested will be glad to see me doing all that kicking, but I aint looking forward to it.

Now your challenge...... ;)

Hows your co-ordination?? You comfortable with your your manliness?? Not physically demanding, but enough to work up a sweat and get you moving in a way you wouldn't be used to. I can't see either of you doing this one in public..... :D

This has taken a little research, and I was hoping to get something a little easier on the eye, but unfortunately the easy on the eye videos were too short or recorded at an angle so they were difficult to follow (no, I haven't tried it myself, I don't see anything in the rules about that)

So, you have a choice, do the first 15 minutes of this video twice or knock out the whole 30 minute challenge in one sitting.

Enjoy boys..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

^^
    Recognise some of those steps from the Macarena :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I'm confused. I could have sworn Izoard posted a challenge here?

Oryx wrote: »
    I'm confused. I could have sworn Izoard posted a challenge here?

Perhaps he did but is having a rethink...;)

BTH wrote: »
    Shotgun, you are going to kill me. I have a bad knee as it is but the squats will probably help, need to get those glutes working.

Now your challenge...... ;)

Hows your co-ordination?? You comfortable with your your manliness??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDgbBdS9W54

Call that a challenge?! I LOVE dancing... You couldn't have picked a better challenge actually as I've eyed up Zumba for a while ;) I'm very comfortable with my manliness, its other men that have the problem! I'm all up for giving this the 30 minute shot... indeed I may go for the full 50 yo!

Griffin100's challenge 5min kick, 5min tread water, 5 min kick

Attempt #1
    Did this at the end of my swim set this morning. 5 minute kick with fins was fine, did it steady and covered about 275m. Stopped dead in the water and held my position with slow hand circles. I occasionally had to move slightly to let a swimmer through. I got some unusual looks alright and some enquiries to see if I was ok. 5 minutes down no problem (I'm used to treading water beside shotgunjunior) and onto another 5 minute kick. I had to kick hard for the last length to get to the wall for another 275m. Done :)

Just finished this (minus the 3x10 at the end). For someone who never does core work, I found these REALLY hard. So much that I was thinking before of saying you could break my uphill challenge into 3x5mins with 2 min rest in between... but no more. RQ, you are a sadist. I can see the benefits of doing these core plank holds. The push-ups... I found really hard towards the end. For starters I had to take a couple of breaks in between. Also, just so I'm sure I'm doing them correctly, I was doing:

(1xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 1xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (2xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 2xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (3xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 3xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (14xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 14xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    (15xPush-Up: Rotate to Right side: Return to Middle: 15xPush-Up: Rotate to Left side: Return to Middle)
    Finish

Just want to check this is correct- or is there a set of push-ups missing from each set? Also are breaks allowed (couldn't have done the whole lot in one set)? Anyway, cheers, its very useful to try something you might not otherwise, this whole thread is a fantastic idea.

Yeah you've got it.

You think that's sadistic, I was going to make you do all that twice :)

Can you send me route ideas please. As close to the big smoke as possible.

Yeah you've got it.

You think that's sadistic, I was going to make you do all that twice :)

Can you send me route ideas please. As close to the big smoke as possible.

Howth, start from the GAA club, run along the flat pitches, there's a ditch that leads to trail. Find your way to the summit- as long as you're going up, it doesn't matter what route you take, if it looks like a small gap in vegetation, its a route. Should be 15 mins.

Ticknock (48A bus, 16A bus, 75 bus to Ballinteer, walk to start carpark. This one has road for the first section, leading to trail, leading to the summit, which are the big rocks. Great views.

Bray head Actually this would be a good starter. Dart to Bray, start at the bandstand. Jog the promanade for warm up, then the pavement starts to climb, then you hit the trail, to the top. Should be a good tester, 15 minutes very doable. Sea swim after if you like;)

I was going to suggest breaking the 15mins into three 5 min sections, but decided against it. Uphill running can be a killer, and you can shoot your guns too early, so pace yourself. Breathing is a good judge, don't let yourself hit a gasping stage. Slow down if neccessary, but DO NOT WALK. The idea is to go upwards for 15 minutes, even at a jogging pace. You should want to quit, but this challenge is more a mental one than physical.

Best of luck kiddo:)

I hope shotgun and griffin have a little more pep in their steps than that zumba class does! And I say bonus points for anyone who video tapes themselves doing their challenge!! :D

I did not see a challenge from Izoard....nor one from Oryx. Maybe he's busy looking for his jump rope.

If I'm starting my challenge on the dart does it mean I finish if the dart trip is over 15 minutes?

I hope shotgun and griffin have a little more pep in their steps than that zumba class does! And I say bonus points for anyone who video tapes themselves doing their challenge!! :D

I did not see a challenge from Izoard....nor one from Oryx. Maybe he's busy looking for his jump rope.

Phase one complete - acquisition of "adult" rope has been achieved. I will get this done in Nov :-)Oryx, you are right, I did post a challenge, but had to remove it - the formatting for posts has gone haywire on me, so it was incomprehensible.Will try again...

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Izoard wrote: »

Phase one complete - acquisition of "adult" rope has been achieved. I will get this done in Nov :-)Oryx, you are right, I did post a challenge, but had to remove it - the formatting for posts has gone haywire on me, so it was incomprehensible.Will try again...
    When you mentioned adult rope I thought of oiled hemp :)

Will post my challenge asap. To hard to do using phone.

Advertisement