Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Dades wrote: »
    I like the movie of Dune with Sting. :pac:

!

I do too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

^^^ Yiz like the movie with Sting.

Sheesh, have yiz read the book?

robindch wrote: »

It's on my list....:(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Books =/= Movies!

It's a handy attitude to have as one bad one doesn't ruin the other. :)

gvn wrote: »
    I've just started Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, and it's incredibly interesting so far. It should be of interest to members of this forum, given its premise is that of the devil paying a visit to the highly atheistic society of the 1930's Soviet Union. I'm reading Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor's translation, which, after a lot of research, is regarded as one of the best, in case anybody else wants to pick up a copy.

I finished the above last night and I'd give it 10/10. An absolutely brilliant book, and one I would highly recommend.

I've just started Melville's Moby Dick, and what a tome it is. I tend to struggle (i.e. lose patience) with longer works, so I imagine this will take quite a while for me to finish. Still, what an opening paragraph!

• Advertisement

Books =/= Movies!

I consider the Sting/Dune to be a comedy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I'm in the mood for some mindless entertainment, so with the movie coming out I think I'm gonna read Killing Floor by Lee Child.. :p
    Perfect 'leave your brain at the door' stuff. Reacher is almost as cool as Richard Stark's (a Donald Westlake pseudonym) Parker character. Reacher loses cool points because we know his first name :cool:

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I consider the Sting/Dune to be a comedy.
    I've read the book, so the Sting film is a tragedy for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Books =/= Movies!

Yeah, I became a lot less angry when I started to think of the movies as homages to, or interpretations of, the book, rather than as faithful reproductions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Daemonic wrote: »
    Perfect 'leave your brain at the door' stuff. Reacher is almost as cool as Richard Stark's (a Donald Westlake pseudonym) Parker character. Reacher loses cool points because we know his first name :cool:
    I did almost give up straight away tbh, found it awfully derivative. But glad I stuck with it as it was a really enjoyable page turner in the end. Will defo keep Reacher in mind next time I want a less taxing read. :)

Next up, I, Claudius.

• Advertisement

I did almost give up straight away tbh, found it awfully derivative. But glad I stuck with it as it was a really enjoyable page turner in the end. Will defo keep Reacher in mind next time I want a less taxing read. :)

Next up, I, Claudius.

I LOVE I, CLAVDIVS.

I also found Graves' Goodbye to All That to be one the most remarkable books about WWI I have ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭swampgas

Just started reading "You are not so smart" by David McRaney, and am enjoying it immensely. It consists of 48 chapters, each one describing a way in which our minds can deceive us. Easy to read and quite entertaining. Some familiar topics like confirmation bias and the fundamental attribution error, many less familiar topics such as how susceptible (or not) you believe you are to being recruited into a cult.

swampgas wrote: »
    Just started reading "You are not so smart" by David McRaney, and am enjoying it immensely. It consists of 48 chapters, each one describing a way in which our minds can deceive us. Easy to read and quite entertaining. Some familiar topics like confirmation bias and the fundamental attribution error, many less familiar topics such as how susceptible (or not) you believe you are to being recruited into a cult.

Sounds like a good read, I must keep an eye out for it.

Just started Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises by Hemmingway. Good so far.

Currently reading Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, tis good so far!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

With all the hype around the new Twilight, I decided to go for some Vampirism myself, picked up Dracula and 'Salems Lot yesterday.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

kylith wrote: »
    Sounds like a good read, I must keep an eye out for it.

Just started Fiesta: The Sun Also Rises by Hemmingway. Good so far.

Check out his blog it's quite interesting.
    I don't know how scientifically accurate his stuff is. I'm always a bit dodgy there. He does cite references and stuff, but with popular science you have to thread with caution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Currently reading The Life of Pi. Loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dakan

Currently reading "Servants of the Supernatural, The Night Side of the Victorian Mind", by Antonio Melechi.

It is about the rise of mesmerism, spiritualism and seances in Victorian England.

It interesting to learn about how people like Alfred Russel Wallace was taking in by this stuff (to an extent). And how people like Micheal Faraday came up with clever ways to expose it as a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

picked up Dracula

Prepare to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Zillah wrote: »
    Prepare to be disappointed.

What!? Why? I liked Dracula, thought it set a very good atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Just read "The Collector". Talk about a book that makes you feel uncomfortable empathy.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Just read "The Collector". Talk about a book that makes you feel uncomfortable empathy.

It is quite odd for a book to be written in such a way as to make you empathise with a character so far removed from a normal literary protagonist, Lolita is another one I think, but it's a fantastic novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Aenaes wrote: »

I found it dull, with a stilted plot and no sense of pace or flow. Ending is a gigantic "oh...".

[-0-] wrote: »
    Currently reading The Life of Pi. Loving it.

Started on this myself yesterday.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Likewise! Read it a couple of times during my Bram Stoker phase. :)

It's no Twilight of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ok I seriously have to ask. I know almost nothing about Twilight. Is it really that bad?

No idea. Never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Zillah wrote: »
    I found it dull, with a stilted plot and no sense of pace or flow. Ending is a gigantic "oh...".

I found it a bit chilling at times, I have to admit. The way the locals are so fearful of the Count and his castle, Harker's encounter with the wolves and the desperation of his writing when his fiancee is reading his diary. It's the kind of book I'd love to have read when it was first published.
    Jernal wrote: »
    Ok I seriously have to ask. I know almost nothing about Twilight. Is it really that bad?

It was written as Harry Potter fan-fiction, afaik. So that's enough for me.

I'm nearing the end of The Company by John Ehrlichman.

*cough* Liar!

Next you'll claim you've never heard of Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian (I won't believe that either. :P)

• Advertisement

I saw the film - was confused as to why J.K. never mentioned that Cedric Diggory 'came back' as a vampire....:confused:

It was one of those films where it's sheer awfulness suck you in ...I was also stuck on a small island in Clew Bay and there was nothing worth watch on TG4.

Advertisement