Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options
  • 21-10-2012 9:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Well there's one of these threads in AH & Literature and probably other fora too, so figured it might be interesting to have one in A&A. Specifically as the regulars in this forum are interesting folk and I bet I'll get some good recommendations out of this thread!

Currently I'm reading War and Peace by Tolstoy, it's good but at this stage (been at it over 3 weeks now) it's a real slog as it's not what I would call a page turner but hopefully I'll finish it up this week. I can't wait to get started on something new...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭pavb2

The Bible

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭burstbuckle

Irvine welsh's skagboys

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Just finished Atlas Shrugged, just starting Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

pavb2 wrote: »
    The Bible
    Yeah, I love me a bit of fiction too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Re-reading Ian M Banks Excession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭8mv

Recently finished I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive by Steve Earle and currently reading John The Revelator by Peter Murphy. Both highly reccommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I'm reading Snuff and I'm reading The Hobbit to the kids.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Iain M Banks' The Hydrogen Sonata, and, er, a random Clive Cussler adventure I can't remember the name of. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Well there's one of these threads in AH & Literature and probably other fora too, so figured it might be interesting to have one in A&A. Specifically as the regulars in this forum are interesting folk and I bet I'll get some good recommendations out of this thread!

Currently I'm reading War and Peace by Tolstoy, it's good but at this stage (been at it over 3 weeks now) it's a real slog as it's not what I would call a page turner but hopefully I'll finish it up this week. I can't wait to get started on something new...
    You just wanted to say that, right? :D

At the moment, i'm basically reading course related books.(English and History though so suits me fine.) The book that i'm reading right now is Time's Arrow by Martin Amis, fairly normal book really although the main character lives life in a backwards direction. For example he gets younger as the novel progresses and people say 'dug' instead of 'good'. Philosophical concepts are far easier to describe to be honest. :pac:

Other particularly notable reads as of recent is Bryan Caplan's The Myth of the Rational Voter: Why Democracies Choose Bad Policies , I suspect that many posters around these parts will find it to be rather interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Just finished Red Dragon, Silence Of The Lambs and Hannibal. Starting back into the Game Of Thrones/ Song of Ice and Fire (covering the pedants) series now.

Having read the thread I might just keep my low-brow nonsense to myself. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma, Tom Holland's In The Shadow Of The Sword, and the Star Trek Encyclopedia. Along with whatever is in my instapaper queue.
    Will be months reading all that.

The most tedium inducing book I've ever read (and I read Louise and Aylmer Maude's translation, which is supposedly one of the more enjoyable versions to read). It took me about three months to finish it, though I did leave it to rest for weeks at a time. Still, just having read the book is satisfying in and of itself.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Just finished Atlas Shrugged, just starting Henry James' The Portrait of a Lady.

I've just started James' The Turn of the Screw. Gripping so far!

I finished Thoreau's Walden for the fourth (yes, fourth) time earlier today. I could read that book one hundred times and still find something new in it — and, provided I have a long life, I intend to read it one hundred times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Re-reading Ian M Banks Excession.
    I finally got around to re-reading Consider Phlebas recently. Made much more sense this time.
    Excession is my personal favourite Culture novel.

Looking forward to the last book of the Wheel of Time in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....as the form is foul, "Serious" reading is abandoned these days. I'm currently going over book 3 of game of thrones, because I started book 5, couldn't remember a poxy thing, read book 4, then realised none of the characters I couldn't remember appeared in it, so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭muppeteer

Nodin wrote: »
    ....as the form is foul, "Serious" reading is abandoned these days. I'm currently going over book 3 of game of thrones, because I started book 5, couldn't remember a poxy thing, read book 4, then realised none of the characters I couldn't remember appeared in it, so.....
    At least you have a nice excuse to re-watch the first two series from HBO. Just to catch up of course:)

Currently on The Hydrogen Sonata, myself too. Glad to see all the culture heads in the forum.

See my sig for a nice quote:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Interrupted my reading of the 3rd Thursday Next book, Well of Lost Plots (I think) to read Hydrogen Sonata. Fcuk heaven, I want The Culture.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Just finished this today:
    A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.
    Excellent, excellent book.

You'd wonder how 'man' made it this far; we were very lucky many times during our evolution.
    What surprised me most was how little we know about ourselves e.g. did we really come out of Africa, or do multi-regionalists have a point?
    I believe that various hominid branches left Africa at different times.

Now for some light reading, I'm starting:
    Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

My Inventions: the Autobiography of Nikola Tesla.

It's a fun read so far but what an odd, odd man.

Simultaneously, Made by Hand by Mark Frauenfelder.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hmmm, lot of love for Mr Banks, tbh I'm not a great fan of Sci-fi and I hate hate hated The Wasp Factory.

Does the Culture series need to be read in order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens, The Jefferson Bible by Thomas Jefferson, Nostos by John Moriarty, Facing Unpleasant Facts: Narrative Essays (Orwell).

I highly recommend every one of these books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 cfc1888

Yeah, I love me a bit of fiction too.
    You might live to regret that. Fiction? Says who?you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Just finished reading:
    - The Anubis Gates (Tim Power)
    - 59 Seconds (Richard Wiseman)

I've also been re-reading a few others just to refresh my memory of them:
    - Animal Spirits: How human psychology drives the economy (Akerlof & Shiller)
    - The Tipping Point (Malcolm Gladwell)
    - Colossus: The secrets of Bletchley Park's codebreaking computers (Copeland)
    - Surely you're joking Mr. Feynman! (an all time favourite of mine)

Will be looking to read Hydrogen Sonata next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Hmmm, lot of love for Mr Banks, tbh I'm not a great fan of Sci-fi and I hate hate hated The Wasp Factory.

Not really. I read them almost at random for the first few I read and then went back to the first and read the remaining chronologically.

The Wasp Factory was very very strange. I still wouldn't say that I enjoyed it...
    Try the Bridge. It's a mile away from the Wasp Factory and actually my favorite of all his works that I've read, over and above the Culture even. Added bonus: It's actually Banks' own favorite too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Quantum Mechanics : Everything that can happen does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I just finished Mortality by Hitchens. It was brilliant.
    Bizarrely, it's the only of Hitchen's writings that I'd read.
    I read Sam Haris' The Moral Landscape before that. It was thought provoking at the very least.

I had just started into Paul Dirac's biography, The Strangest Man by Graham Farmelo, when I buggered off to the states for a month and left the bloody thing on the hall table.
    I'll get back into that now. It's really good so far.

I half-read The Better Angels of Our Nature by Stephen Pinker but got a bit bogged down, as sometimes happens to me with that sort of book.
    Then I re-read the A Song of Ice and Fire series so that kept me occupied for a while and before I knew it it was 3 months later and I'd put Pinker's book down for too long.
    Hopefully I pick it up again because it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Dades wrote: »
    Iain M Banks' The Hydrogen Sonata
    Me too, bit of a return to form I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It doesn't really need to be read in order, I would recommend starting with Use of Weapons or The Player of Games though. If you don't like either of them then you can safely leave the rest alone. My personal favorite is Excession but I wouldn't start that without a Culture book or two read already.

At it's best his scifi is just wonderful! (imo at least :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The Secret Race by Tyler Hamilton . Nothing we did'nt suspect but fascinating nonetheless.

36 Yalta Boulevard by Olen Stenhauer - 3rd book in a series set in a fictious Iron Curtain country in 1966 or so - brilliant . If you like Alan Furst or the Berlin Noir novels of Philip Kerr this should be your cup of tea.

And a number of poetry books always on the go.

As for War And Peace and those finding it tough going - I'm amazed ! Quite simply one of the greatest works of fiction I have ever read . I first read over 40 years ago and other that the fact that it was Russian and The great novel and Napoleon was in it I knew very little about it - (that level of ignorance is sadly no longer possible) so I was bewithched by every twist and turn and I still am . I reread it every 10 years or so and it still amazes . Just a tip - skip or speed read all the Tolstoyan military interludes - really not relevant and we know what happens.

Advertisement