Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Just finished Terry Pratchett's Rising Steam...gods, I miss Granny..:(

The way I've seen the last few books, particularly with the onset of his illness is that they're little bonus Pratchett books as opposed to good books in their own right.

They're not as good as the old ones but I'm happy to have them all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Gbear wrote: »
    The way I've seen the last few books, particularly with the onset of his illness is that they're little bonus Pratchett books as opposed to good books in their own right.

They're not as good as the old ones but I'm happy to have them all the same.

Pretty much sums up how I feel.

Little bittersweet treasures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I read Truckers, Diggers and Wings before. The only Pratchett books I have read. Perhaps I should read more.

[-0-] wrote: »
    I read Truckers, Diggers and Wings before. The only Pratchett books I have read. Perhaps I should read more.

:eek::eek::eek:

:confused:

I have no excuse. Nada. Zip. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I have no excuse. Nada. Zip. :(

Get thee to thy local bookstore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I has not read any Pratchett.

My father is a huge fan. I'll read Pratchett next year, ALL OF THE PRACTHETTS! :pac:

Just to preempt bluey. Yes, yes I know, five minutes per year is never going to finish the book. We shall see.

My father is a huge fan. I'll read Pratchett next year, ALL OF THE PRACTHETTS! :pac:

No you won't. We is learning ALL the evolution, genetics and astro-biology.

• Advertisement

Jernal wrote: »
    No you won't. We is learning ALL the evolution, genetics and astro-biology.

Oh, yeah! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Jernal wrote: »
    I has not read any Pratchett.

Thank <insert deity of choice / favorite expletive> it's not just me. Got as far as watching the Hogfather on telly which was great, but that's it. Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pauldla wrote: »
    Read this a while back, and started it again recently while sitting at the table waiting for my tea. Very well written and informative.

51T5R64P3HL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Read it. Most excellent and informative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I've only read one Terry Pratchett book, I'm sorry guys. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I read some of Small Gods, but tbh I found it a bit meh. Didn't finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

I read some of Small Gods, but tbh I found it a bit meh. Didn't finish it.

I find I can get bored with some of his books, and I wouldn't think to read them back to back like other series. But he can be funny, and his footnotes are great.

In 1983 I ran screaming from 8th Amendment Ireland straight into the arms of The Colour of Magic* and I knew there was sanity in the world after all.

Wasn't really hooked until Equal Rites tho...

One of the dogs recently ate the cover off my 1983 1st edition :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    In 1983 I ran screaming from 8th Amendment Ireland straight into the arms of The Colour of Magic* and I knew there was sanity in the world after all.

Wasn't really hooked until Equal Rites tho...

One of the dogs recently ate the cover off my 1983 1st edition :(

I remember not being mad about Equal Rites - is that the one with the little girl who wants to be a wizard?

I've only read a couple of them but do remember being on a train from Dublin to Tralee years ago and having to put one away because I couldn't stop guffawing at the top of my lungs.

I believe the lines that did the damage may have been
    In a distant forest a wolf howled, felt embarrassed when no one joined in, and stopped

and the bit about Mount Oolskunrahod or "Mount who is this fool who does not know what a mountain is?"!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

keane2097 wrote: »
    Mount Oolskunrahod or "Mount who is this fool who does not know what a mountain is?"!
    An old gag, that one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yucat%C3%A1n#Toponymy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

robindch wrote: »

The old ones are the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lazarus thread - arise

Got Hitch's 'The Missionary Position' and Paddy Doyle's 'The God Squad' from the library today.

TMP - Halfway through already and should polish it off in the morning (for some strange reason, I thought about Hitler and Czechoslovakia when typing that)

The other one will be an emotionally tougher read and I'll take my time over it.

Interesting though that I couldn't find any reference on boards to one of St. Tzer's dodgiest groupies/donors, 'John-Roger' of the 'Movement of Spiritual Inner Awareness' aka 'MSIA' aka 'Messiah'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movement_of_Spiritual_Inner_Awareness
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John-Roger

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement