Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

pH wrote: »
    Loved them - end of book 1 was slightly OTT - not really repeated later on - stick with them they're terrific. His witty one liners are superb.

Reading Hamilton's latest - Great North Road - absolutely loving it - and have Hydrogen Sonata and Abercrombie's latest to look forward to. Christmas has come early this year!

Just downloaded kindle ed. of Abercrombie's Red Country- really enjoyed his other books (love the character of Glokta) so am at the hopeful yet concerned just before starting a book by a favourite author place: this is gonna be great :D / oh pleeese let it be great :(.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Glokta was done brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Lord of chaos, started the wheel of time books at the end of summer :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Think I'll get started on Dune this evening. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Started a collection of H.P. Lovecraft short stories last week, love his writing style

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read Never Let Me Go and Inverted World yesterday, they were brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm still trying to work my way through John Dies at the End. My commute in the morning is too short to read, and everyone in work is so friendly that they want to chat at lunch time. I never thought I'd miss my 45 minute commute, and all the people who thought I was a weirdo and avoided me at break times, but I got soooooo much reading done back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just finished Vernor Vinge's A Deepness in the Sky, which is a prequel to his earlier book A Fire in Deep - which I've just started.

Deepness is quite the head-wrecker. To summarize: two competing Human groups form a temporary alliance so that they can go off and exploit an alien race. One is a group of traders who live by making deals, while the other is from a totalitarian state which practices a form of slavery through biological warfare. If you think that that's a recipe for trouble, you'd be right. They soon have bigger things to worry about than the aliens, for several decades.

The alien race in question lives under a sun which spends most of its time in a dormant state (the "On-Off Star"), during which the planet goes in to a deep freeze and the inhabitants must go in to deep hibernation. They basically have to rebuild their civilization while their sun is on, doing what they can in less than fifty years. This cycle forms the basis of their culture, including an apocalyptic religion that resists attempts to break the cycle. In this particular cycle, however, they have a slightly mad scientific genius on their side, and progress is rapid.

The way this all plays out, the clash of civilizations as the "On-Off Star" slowly fades back in to its red dwarf state, has to be read. It's a huge book, in size and scope, which took me a long time to read. Well worth it.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Finished lord of chaos, on to crown of swords :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mostly papers on transposon-directed insertion sequencing.

*sigh* I'll find time to read a real book soon... I hope...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Sarky wrote: »
    transposon-directed insertion sequencing.

If there is no real book on this stuff, why not write one yourself? :D
    I'm being fricking dead serious here. bluey and I are currently doing Nanowrimo, join us, join the dark side! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'd never find the time to do nanowrimo. However, I have vowed with some friends to work on a Lovecraftian parody of 50 Shades whenever I can get round to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

The new Patrick O'Brians arrived in the post last week. I don't do that much fiction, but these books are like catnip to me. I've loads to read at the moment, what with study and work, so I don't really have time to get into two more Aubrey/Marutin books...but I'll just read the first page...and then one more...ah sure, I'm this far in now, I'll get back to Curriculum in Context tomorrow or the next day...I wonder if there are any more of these on Amazon...?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Sarky wrote: »
    However, I have vowed with some friends to work on a Lovecraftian parody of 50 Shades whenever I can get round to it.
    I would definitely read that

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I've just started Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, and it's incredibly interesting so far. It should be of interest to members of this forum, given its premise is that of the devil paying a visit to the highly atheistic society of the 1930's Soviet Union. I'm reading Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor's translation, which, after a lot of research, is regarded as one of the best, in case anybody else wants to pick up a copy.

Jernal wrote: »
    bluey and I are currently doing Nanowrimo, join us, join the dark side! ! !

Apologies,

bluey, Koth, Tie fighter guy and I.
    (Anyone else? :D)

Jernal wrote: »
    Apologies,

bluey, Koth, Tie fighter guy and I.
    (Anyone else? :D)

I am acting as support staff to son's OH (and occasional boardsie).

I am exhausted from delivering motivational speeches such as
    'Stop thinking so much and start bloody writing!'
    'Maybe if you turned the TV off????'
    'whaddya mean editing? That's next month - stop moaning and write woman!'
    ' Yes, I do know for a fact you are currently playing scrabble - did you forget I am one of your opponents???'

WTF is Nanowrimo?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    I am exhausted from delivering motivational speeches such as
    Was it Ray Bradbury who turned up at a workshop for writers and delivered the following speech:
    Ok, so you good folks want to be writers. So why the fuck aren't you at home writing?!

WTF is Nanowrimo?

National Novel Writing Month - write a 50,000 word Novel during the month of November. It's what guys partake in when they want to impress girls by claiming to be Novelists. Ever wanted to use the pick up line "You know you remind me of an amazing character I created in one of my Novels once." ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

WTF is Nanowrimo?
    From the NaNoWriMo site:
    National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing on November 1. The goal is to write a 50,000-word (approximately 175-page) novel by 11:59:59 PM on November 30.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

WTF is Nanowrimo?

I've had to Google it twice in this thread already. I forget about it and then think it's some fantasy series.

Just finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Not my usual type of book but I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭8mv

gvn wrote: »
    I've just started Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, and it's incredibly interesting so far. It should be of interest to members of this forum, given its premise is that of the devil paying a visit to the highly atheistic society of the 1930's Soviet Union.

Great book - I have it in my re-read pile at the mo.

I just finished John The Revelator by Pat Murphy (?) Really good Irish kid with weird childhood up to a point, but kinda fizzles out towards the end. A good set-up yields no dividends.

Just started A Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood. Only a few pages in so no true feeling for it yet, but if it's only half as good as her other stuff it'll be fine. Also dipping into a book about Queen Elizabeth I and Mary Queen of Scots. I'm facinated by the Tudors.

Just finished Dune, really enjoyed it! Although, I must say, I was looking forward to an epic ending and I don't think I got it. It was rather... eh... flaccid. :)

Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of appendices in fiction. Once I've reached the main conclusion of the story, I'm not particularly interested in reading on about subtle nuances of certain characters or plot points. I would rather this info, for instance the backstory of the Kynes character, contained within the story itself.

Is the movie worth a look?

Just finished Dune, really enjoyed it! Although, I must say, I was looking forward to an epic ending and I don't think I got it. It was rather... eh... flaccid. :)

Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of appendices in fiction. Once I've reached the main conclusion of the story, I'm not particularly interested in reading on about subtle nuances of certain characters or plot points. I would rather this info, for instance the backstory of the Kynes character, contained within the story itself.

Hmmmmm...depends on how you define 'worth'.

The movie, no.
    The four part mini series, YES. And its sequel.
    Well I haven't seen the Dune mini series but I saw the sequel and it kicks ass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Just finished Dune, really enjoyed it!
    The later five books are something of an acquired taste, but a taste which -- once acquired -- is never forgotten and rarely equalled.

Together, all six books are magnificent. And more than a little relevant to people interested in the uses of religion.
    There are two movies -- the earlier one with Sting is dreadful. The later one is better, but captures little, if anything, of the grand sweep of the epics.

I'm in the mood for some mindless entertainment, so with the movie coming out I think I'm gonna read Killing Floor by Lee Child.. :p

Just finished Abercrombie's Red Country - enjoyable enough but not as good as the First Law Trilogy.

Now reading The Mongoliad Trilogy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mongoliad#Subject_of_the_novel_version_of_The_Mongoliad and I must say I am enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I like the movie of Dune with Sting. :pac:

Thought the spirit of it was closet the books. Awesome book. Sci-fi with Muslims!

Advertisement